PDA

View Full Version : UK Visitor on his way to NYC in April

ant2781
February 26th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Hi...

Im coming to NY in April for a holiday.

Im on my own so im wondering if you lot could point me out some fantastic things to do......

So far my to do list is.

Twin Tower Site
Grand Centrel Station
Statue of Liberty
Im of to see a Yankee Game
Madison Sq Garden
Times Sq
Wall Street
UN
Centrel Park
Battery Park
Brooklyn Bridge
Empire State Building
Broadway Show - not sure which one
Visit China Town - try some Chine food
Little Italy - try some italian food

just to name afew.....im off to Washington DC for one day during my visit.

Can anyone give me some good places to go out for a drink and a dance where the people are friendly and welcoming to a brit on his own??

Thanks. So looking forward to coming to NYC its always been a dream, and the dream is getting nearer! 6 weeks to go!

Ant

TLOZ Link5
February 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I'd expand my itinerary a bit to see Greenwich Village. Lots of things to see and do, lots of interesting restaurants and bars. Nor does it hurt to make a quick jaunt out to Brooklyn to check things out; be certain to walk along the Promenade once you're finished walking across the Bridge.

voomo
February 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
When in april are you going? I am going the week of the 4th. What hotel are you staying at? Novotel here.

ant2781
February 27th, 2005, 04:38 AM
im going at the beginning. im staying at jazz on the town hostel....no need for fancy hotels just need a bed under a roof. worked out cheaper to use a hostel than a hotel for the mount of time i wanted to spend over in NYC.

Ant

Schadenfrau
February 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM
There's not much dancing in the city, but you'll certainly find bars with friendly people. Which neighborhood are you thinking of?

Mikewill53
February 28th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Can't help noticing you havent included any museums. When I went I included the museum of natural history on the same day i went to central park.

billyblancoNYC
February 28th, 2005, 11:25 PM
There's not much dancing in the city, but you'll certainly find bars with friendly people. Which neighborhood are you thinking of?

You don't think there's an ample amount of clubs in the city? The west side in chelsea alone has more than most cities do.

Schadenfrau
March 1st, 2005, 12:03 PM
I meant that there's little dancing in bars here. That always seems to surprise out of town visitors. There are more than enough behemoth nightclubs to go around, but I don't think that's what most people have in mind when they think of a "drink and a dance".

ant2781
March 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
hi.....im not really a museum kind of person...tho im going to ellis(?) island might goto afew more too.....

Angeal
March 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
My friend and I are also visiting New York this year for the first time (nov 26th-dec3rd) we're both 22, young, beautiful (what do you know you cant see me ;) ) and with cash to burn (well not really but it sounded good) and we dont want to waste a second so other than the suggestions above what shouldnt we miss, also what bars and clubs would people suggest for 2 gals in the big city and anything else anyone can suggest. We're so excited that we just cant hold it any longer :D.
Thankx v much, from two girls from good ole' Manchester (england. the home of me and those two blokes from that band you know they look like monkeys that need a good wash, you know who i mean) Bye for now NY c u in November.

misssalsa
March 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Im off to NY with a mate in late april. Staying near Times Square. cant wait!!! Dont think there is enought time for us to do what we want to do.. like every thing lol!!!!

red screw
March 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Ant and Angeal I'm coming from England to NYC 31st March til 6th April for my girlfriends 30th,staying at the Wellington near Time Square.Have the same plans as you Ant so should be good.Where you flying out from??

MarkMc
March 27th, 2005, 12:58 PM
During my last visit to NYC I saw Hairspray at Neil Simon Theatre and loved it. Some of my friends saw Rent - some loved it some not so much. Another thing about Broadway shows is that I used broadwaybox.com (http://www.broadwaybox.com/default.aspx?s=124) discount code and got some great seats for only 65$ So whatever you decide you might want to check them out and see if you can get a discount.
Enjoy NYC

junglizt1210
April 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I'd also recommend:
- If you're a cheapass like myself and want to avoid the $12 (is that price correct???) visiting the Statue of Liberty (by the way, can you walk up it, or is it still closed due to 9/11??), you could always hop on the Staten Island Ferry which is free, and has a good view of the Statue of Liberty. From the place where you board the ferry terminal, walk eastwards in the direction of Brooklyn on the coast, for about 10-15 minutes to the ferry terminal, and the ferry there is free. The ferry doesn't actually stop at the Statue's island, but it goes near. Once you arrive at Staten Island, there's not that much to see in terms of tourism, a few shops just outside the terminal. The ferry runs every day as far as I know.... No passes or metrocards are needed for the ferry, you jsut board. Metrocards are valid on SI if you need to travel around, and there are busses to the SI Mall from the St. George ferry terminal.

- A walk accross the Brooklyn Bridge, even if you don't cross it completely, still worth walking half way and turning back. Closest Subways station, Manhattan side, Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall, 6, J, M, Brooklyn Side: High Street/Brooklyn Bridge A, C

- If you're not afraid, you could visit Harlem/East Harlem/Spanish Harlem or even the Bronx (get the 1 or 9 train across to Marble Hill), both places are mainly shos, but if you want to experience multiculturalness, i'd recommend it, even though some people would advise against. One more note, be sure to barter for prices, and know how to do it well, as sellers will try to sell thigns like cloths (not clothes, ...cloths) for $100, you can barter for prices like $30, $70 lower than wha they offer, really, if they see you're not lcoal, they will try to sell at outrageous prices, so be prepared to haggle, and we're talking street traders, especially in the Harlem areas...

- Roosevelt Island tram might be of some interest, get the F train towards Jamaica, and get off at Roosevelt Island. When you get out of the station, look for the bridge and walk towards it. When you get near the foot of it, you'll see a cablecar terminal.... get on it. It takes metrocards. On the Manhattan side, if you want to get back into the subway, the closes stop is 59th St, Lexington Av.served by N, R, W, 4, 5, and 6 trains.

- There is also a transort museum somewhere in Brooklyn, but I'm not sure where it is, as I've never visited it.....