PDA

View Full Version : From the Airport

glittermonster
March 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Helloooooo!!!

I've just found this site and am likely to now bombard you all with questions!

I'm a NY virgin and me and best mate are off out there at the end of April!

What's the best way to get from JFK to our hotel near Times Square???

Also is a block th distance between one street?? (stupid question I know but your roads and your subway is very confusing!!)

Thank you so much!!

Emma

PS - also is there such a thing as a FRIENDS tour of the city??

ryan
March 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
The best way to get from JFK to Times Square would be a taxi - it's expensive (around $50?) but it will take you from the terminal door to your hotel door. Seeing as it's your first time, it is probably worth the expense to avoid navigating the other confusing transportation options. You might look up some car services to see if they are within your budget - always more pleasant than a taxi. You can search through old threads for more details.

A block is indeed the distance between two streets, but it is not a standard distance - the distance between avenues (north-south) is much more than between two streets (east-west).

I've never heard of a friends tour - the show was shot in LA and the locations were fictitious - but I wouldn't be surprised if you found one. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

NYatKNIGHT
March 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Go to the corner of Bedford St. and Grove St. in the West Village to see the Friends apartment building - the one with the restaurant at street level.

You can take the AirTrain at JFK to Jamaica Station ($5) then follow the signs to the subway and take the E train to Times Square ($2).

misssalsa
March 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Oh dear she has found a forum beware all !!!!!! Im the freind that is going to NY with glittermonster!!! Cant wait to get there!!! Any help and directions are gratefully received as we will be spending most of our time arguing which way up the map should be !!!!

red screw
April 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Just got back from NY on Weds morning. Once you're there, it's really quite easy with the streets/blocks and avenues. Times Square is easy enough to get to, from anywhere. Subway is alot easier to use over there than here I found. If you get a transfer/shuttle bus from the airport, it takes about an hour. We stayed at the Wellington Hotel on 55th/seventh ave which was 12blocks down from Times Square and a 10 min walk. Not too sure about a Friends tour, but if you go to the NBC store at Rockefeller Centre, they might be able to help you out. (we bought a smelly cat mouse mat in there!!) Def. do boat trip round the island as it is ex. value for money ($28 each for 3hr trip) and takes you right to the foot of Statue of Liberty. We also went up the Empire State Building in the daytime and night-time. I thought night was the best, amazing! For shopping def. check out Macy's and also there are a few H&M, banana republic (bit like Next) and also Century 21 (absolute bargins in there!) Also go and play in FAO Schwarz on all the toys, and the giant floor piano as seen in the movie Big! You'll love it out there, without a doubt!!!! Enjoy