PDA

View Full Version : i (didn't buy an) Pod

MagnumPI
March 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
For a european like me, it's amazing the impressive number of iPods existing in New York. ( In the Apple center at SoHo, send them like BigMacs at McDonalds)

The question is: Why?

Just be trendy, a sign of a real new yorker?

kmistic
March 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I can fit my entire music colletion on the device that is slightly larger than a business card. Thats why i have one.

TLOZ Link5
March 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I got mine for convenience, also. I already have most of the CDs that I like imported, and if I really like a particular song I can just download it. That's why I have no desire to get Napster, when I'll essentially be paying $15 a month for a service that I'll rarely use.

junglizt1210
April 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I got one because I'd had it with CDs and old technology and normal MP3 players didn't appeal to me due to the price and sizes available.

I had to travel out to Roosevelt Field Mall in Nassau to get one (they were sold out in every single RadioShack in NYC and the Apple Store in SoHo!!!!!!)

I saw one as soon as I got on an NJ Transit train after I touched down at Newark..... I was amazed, adn I saw quite a few of them. I rarely ever see them in public here in Bristol, UK.

TonyO
April 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I got mine for free from a website (pm me if you want the link) and it is just a good accessory to have. It's as American as you can get in a consumer electronics device (hw from China, sw and design from USA), its tiny and easy to use. I use it when running, walking and when I want to listen to music late-night.

One of the reasons they are so ubiquitous in NYC is that people use them when they are walking or commuting, which most do without cars here. Also, the white headphones are so obvious and stick out.

junglizt1210
April 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
....a potential target for thieves.... i remember reading an article in th New york post once about muggings from kids going to school or something.......

Ninjahedge
April 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
If you are not concerned about what other people think about you (a difficult thing here in the land of the PRADA handbag), get a better pair of earphones. Go for Bang and Olafsen or some ear-buds worth playing a $300 machine on.

I really detest those signature white lines all over the place. They are such a "look at me" thing. Good marketing though.

Also, if you are in the market for a player, there are better ones available (I believe Creative has a few that are really good, but I am still waiting for higher capacity for lower price).

the main problem most of these thing has is their proprietary nature and difficulty in loading stuff and bringing it around. I like the ones that are just like PnP hard drives. Dump whatever you want on it like a directory, and if it can play it, it will.

The one thing that the Pod has though, hands down, is the interface. That is one that some manufacturers are still trying to copy without copying too closely.

Main downside is interoperability and proprietary components such as the batteries....

Schadenfrau
April 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I'm another hater of the white headphones, Ninjahedge.

junglizt1210
April 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I don't use the white ones because the sound quality is real poor.... and they dont look that good, I still like black for earphones, I use some Sennheiser's, but they're nly maringally better, but I can't buy much because I'm poor :(

I'll agree on the PnP MP3 players, I'm not a an of iTunes, and neither is everyone else I know who owns an iPod.... I actually can't find anything tahts better, EPHPod comes close, but the software is still buggy... iPods are still relatively expensive as well, in my opinion, which is why I got mine in the US.

pscoln1
May 24th, 2006, 01:14 AM
....a potential target for thieves.... i remember reading an article in th New york post once about muggings from kids going to school or something.......

yea i had mine stolen on the subway as well...definitly keep your eye on your ipod because i was really careful with mine and i know i didnt lose it. Someone during the morning commute on those busy subway carts must of snatched mine. I cant live without it so I bought a new one. But this time I dont take it too work during the busy commutes when i have to stand on the subway cart.

Ninjahedge
May 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM
One easy way to tell if it is stolen is when the music stops playing! ;)

Anywho, I got teh Archos AV player. NICE setup. A WEE bit bigger than the rest, but it has a LOT more capacity and a huge screen to watch vids on.

It is much easier to use(just plug it into a USB connection and it looks like an external HD).

Only downsides:

The carrying case it comes with is retarted. It is the only one I gave ever seen that not only covers the controls, but covers the earphone jack as well.

It occasionally shus down. Whether from file corruption of OS burp. About once every 4-6 hours of continuous play.

That's about it! Battery replacement is easy and it looks like you could replace the HD with a larger capacity one in the future if you knew what you were doing!

GowanusGuy
May 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM
This is one of the most exciting and vibrant cities on the planet. Why someone needs an Ipod to entertain themselves while walking around is mystifying - as well as dangerous. Occasionally people get seriously hurt while wearing these things because they can make you oblivious to your surroundings.

Ninjahedge
May 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This is one of the most exciting and vibrant cities on the planet. Why someone needs an Ipod to entertain themselves while walking around is mystifying - as well as dangerous. Occasionally people get seriously hurt while wearing these things because they can make you oblivious to your surroundings.

I actually find teh walk through midtown MUCH more tolerable now that I cannot hear all the honking, clattering and other noise.

I also find it easier now that I do not look at the crap in the gutters, but keep my eyes 10 feet off of street level when I can.

NY is great, but it is so big, there is a lot of crap in it too.

Teno
May 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I really detest those signature white lines all over the place.

I don't hate the white ear buds but I don't use them because of sound quality. And the fact that the earbuds damage your hearing faster than headphones that cover your ear.

the main problem most of these thing has is their proprietary nature

Apple actually does not own any of the audio formats used on the iPod. The only proprietary part is the DRM used on music bought from iTunes. Which can be easily stripped off.

This is one of the most exciting and vibrant cities on the planet. Why someone needs an Ipod to entertain themselves while walking around is mystifying - as well as dangerous.

The long walks are better when listening to your favorite music. It should be pretty obvious that one should stay alert of ones surroundings.

Clarknt67
May 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I was a late adopter, as I am on many things, but I LOVE my iPod. Basically because I can carry every cd I own with me everywhere.

I am lately listening to less music and more podcasts however. Much NPR (Brian Leher, Leonard Lope, Mediawatch, KCRW's Martini Shot) and the occaisional Lost podcast. I'm loving this for my morning commute.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
I liked the iPod after using Sony Hi-MD for years which really is a pro level PCM recorder.

The reason I liked the iPod was the capacity and ability to sync podcasts and music quickly (my 2nd Gen Nano 8 GB was 8x the capacity of the Hi-MD and the iTunes software was better than Sony SonicStage).

That was apples and oranges - the Hi-MD is 1,000,000x rewritable stable magnetic optical recording medium able to record at at CD quality (16 bit 44 KHz) with good S/N ratios. The iPod is really designed as a player.

Now I know that Apple iPods suck monkeys ballz.

Heres why:

http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/zune80gb/default.htm

http://www.zunescene.com/80-450.jpg

Who else uses the Zune? It rocks!!

The headphones it comes with are about 10x better than the iPod ones.

The screen is 2x the size of the iPod 80 GB Classic and almost the size of the Touch.

The "squirqle" button is awesome and you can operate the device through your pocket.

The screen and back cant really be scratched. Its tempered glass.

The Zune software is about 1000x better than iTunes (although the catalog of songs and zunecasts is not as large as iTunes).

Im not making that last bit up. And the
look and skin of the software itself is awesomely customizable.

The Zune comes with original art on it and as far as Im concerned the whole concept of Music + Art + Video on the Zune makes it much better than the iPod.

You can squirt songs from your Zune to a friends using the built in Wifi.

You can sync your songs and zunecasts with your Zune wirelessly with your laptop.

Its just awesome. Especially if you like illustration and art, let alone music.

Its a much better design concept than the Ipod which apart from the Touch is just the same old product (and a 16 or 32 GB PMP is just not realistic). The Zune is 80 GB!

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 21st, 2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XfxT66n_c