PDA

View Full Version : Kings Highway / Ocean Avenue Vicinity

BklynJeff
March 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Does anybody know what is being built in the fenced off lots near Kings Highway and Ocean Avenue? There's a construction trailer in one of them, and another multi-unit brick building has just been fenced off and will be torn down. However, there is no construction activity yet in the vacant lots.

Just wondering.........

Gulcrapek
March 19th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Check the Brooklyn residential thread. There's a crapload of stuff on Ocean Avenue from U to S, this is probably related... though if you get me a rough address range I can look it up on the DOB site.

Gulcrapek
March 19th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Never mind. Here's a list of possibilities

2120 Ocean Avenue

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByLocationServlet?requestid=3&allbin=3182520&allstrt=OCEAN+AVENUE&allnumbhous=2120&s=2764E472656094405BCE4CFD7393E84A

2140 Ocean Avenue

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?bin=3182525&requestid=2&s=2764E472656094405BCE4CFD7393E84A

2152 Ocean Avenue

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?bin=3182528&requestid=2&s=2764E472656094405BCE4CFD7393E84A

There's also 2148 OA, I think it might be u/c already though...

6 floors, 70 ft
30 units
Architect: Corporate Design of America

sw19
November 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Check the Brooklyn residential thread. There's a crapload of stuff on Ocean Avenue from U to S, this is probably related... though if you get me a rough address range I can look it up on the DOB site.

The construction of these Maximillion condos are, in my opinion, shoddy.
I took a look at one on Ave. P & E.18. For $400,000 you get a 2 bedroom apartment where the masterbath is a stall shower and the main bath (public) has a jacuzzi. I've never seen that before. Also, some condos I've seen have hot water heaters in each unit. Not this one. I wouldn't want to be taking a shower in the morning when everybody else is. Prices are down in Manhattan and for a little more $ I can walk to work. It may be a smaller unit. Also there are consierges in some Manhattan condos. The condo market in Brooklyn is out of control and goes against the market everywhere else. But I guess there are some people with disposable incomes that don't care about what they spend their money on. The condo boom in Brooklyn reminds me of the co-op boom of years ago. I think there'll be plenty of empty units to go around.

MrSpice
November 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
BklynJeff: You just said that for 400K you can buy a 2-bedroom there with 2 bathrooms. DO you know what you can buy for 400K in Manhattan so you can "walk to work", as you said? The answer is - pretty much nothing. Most young families cannot buy coops in Manhattan because they have huge liquid asset requirements (2-3 of mortgage+maintenance after closing costs and downpayment). And most coops require a 25% downpayment. Secondly, at those Brooklyn condos, maintenance is about $200 a month, sometimes less, and virtually no taxes for the first 10-15 years (tax abatement). In Manhattanm, you can easily pay $1000 and more per month in maintenance/taxes. And if you have a child, how can you live in a studio (you can't buy anything esle for 400K there)?

Not to mention parking - for extra 20-30K, they often give you your own parking space. Do you know how much parking costs in Manhattan? Enough said...

By the way, I am in the process of buying a relatively small 1br condo on Upper East side myself. You cannot even compare the costs...

BklynJeff
November 22nd, 2005, 11:47 PM
I went to an open house two weeks ago at the maximillion condo on Quentin Road near E. 18th Street. I could NOT believe how bad the apartment was. It sounds similar to what sw19 described. The construction was absolutely horrendous. The stairwell that protrudes out of the building is protected by a cheap looking sheet of plastic, and if you have the right type of philips head screwdriver, you can probably do alot of damage.

The apartment itself was small and narrow and only had a small kitchenette as part of the living room. And the master bedroom, if you can call it that, had one wall at a severe angle, making the room triangular-like. Oh, and then there was this HUGE open space out back, larger than the apartment itself with plantings that obscure any view whatsoever.

And yes...that bathroom! The one I saw was divided into two rooms - one had a big jacuzzi tub (right near the kitchenette) and the other had the toilet, sink and shower stall. Very poorly done, however.

Apparently, the broker said that there's only two units left in the building. If true, they are selling, but at $475,000, it is severly overpriced.

And Mr. Spice, once you see these "two bed and a bath" brooklyn combos, you would NOT think they are any kind of a really good deal, no matter what you would compare it too.......

ltjbukem73
November 23rd, 2005, 12:00 AM
are you talking about these?

http://awayerealty.com/quentinterrace.htm

MrSpice
November 23rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
BklynJeff: Maximillion was selling a better condo on the corne of Ocean Avenue and W. It's one of very few newly constructed buildings that is built well. You can see it yourself - it's going to have 6 floors. I am not sure if there are any apartments left, though. I almost bought a 2-bedroom on the 4th floor. What put me off is an unattractive view in the back (facing some really old dirty apartment building) and noisy Ocean Avenue in the front. But the building itself is great and the apartment layout is great too. And it's just 2-3 min walk to the Neck road subway station. Also, there's a pretty decent building that is under construction on the corner of Ocean Ave and U - it's almost finished.