PDA

View Full Version : Moderation and Censorship

ZippyTheChimp
March 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
There are no clear-cut rules for moderation. We have to use our judgment. Most of the actions can be considered housekeeping – moving posts and threads to their proper location, redirecting discussions, etc.

A more ambiguous area is the handling of controversial subjects. Generally, the objective is to keep the discussion civil, but at some point, it may become censorship.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

NoyokA
March 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Sounds good.

BrooklynRider
March 31st, 2005, 05:06 PM
As a forum reader and poster I am sometimes surprised by leeway given to posters when tempers flare. I recently had a go at Stern in a thread, where I basically crossed the line and he made it very clear: it is okay to criticize ideas, it is not ok to criticize people. He was right. It's hard to enforce courtesy and suppress inflammatory posting, but, as long as it does not get personal or stray off topic, let it fly.

Off topic posting is the most annoying to me. That annoyance is only exceeded by folks bumping threads with posts like, "Any news on this project?" or posters who will ignore the thread and ask questions as if its an information booth for them to access.

Back to censorship. I think in the instance with me and Stern it was handled very well. I made my post. He came at me and told me to delete or edit it. We argued it a bit over why I posted what I did, but, in the end, he rightfully stated that he was the moderator and there were two choices leave it and be banned, delete it or edit it.

I think it's reasonable to issue the directive via PM, unless it is such an egregious offense that it must be demonstrated to the forum that action is being taken, in which case, do it in the thread.

NoyokA
March 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM
As a forum reader and poster I am sometimes surprised by leeway given to posters when tempers flare. I recently had a go at Stern in a thread, where I basically crossed the line and he made it very clear: it is okay to criticize ideas, it is not ok to criticize people. He was right. It's hard to enforce courtesy and suppress inflammatory posting, but, as long as it does not get personal or stray off topic, let it fly.

Off topic posting is the most annoying to me. That annoyance is only exceeded by folks bumping threads with posts like, "Any news on this project?" or posters who will ignore the thread and ask questions as if its an information booth for them to access.

Back to censorship. I think in the instance with me and Stern it was handled very well. I made my post. He came at me and told me to delete or edit it. We argued it a bit over why I posted what I did, but, in the end, he rightfully stated that he was the moderator and there were two choices leave it and be banned, delete it or edit it.

I think it's reasonable to issue the directive via PM, unless it is such an egregious offense that it must be demonstrated to the forum that action is being taken, in which case, do it in the thread.

Thanks for the kind words Rider. As a moderator I would rather keep open lines of discussion, even if they are inflammatory, insulting or otherwise. As in our instance we discussed each other’s position, while moderating your post was neccesary, I didn't want you to think I was out of line, so together we reached a consensus and understood where we’re each coming from. While it would'nt have been censorhsip I rather take extra time to explain how I moderate, especially so that a contributing member respects the staff and continues to take part in the forum.

I'm not going to give out any names, but if anyone remembers Fabb, he was an integral member of the early forum, he had left the forums because his posts were being censored.

We're human and and ofcourse we make human mistakes. As such members are only human too and they make human errors that might violate protocol, but as long as they do not insult other members or knowingly spam threads, I am lenient, and I am proud of that, I am proud that I would rather air on the side of compliancy than ever risk censorship.

Ninjahedge
April 4th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Warn, reply, and allow people to edit themselves first.

Also, since some people (like myself) do not come here too often, e-mailing might be good to notify so you don't come back and find your work nixed.

Although I too find bumping and farming a little annoying, sometimes it does get things going, and it is useful to people on here to find what they are looking for. If it is a stupid question like "does anyone have any skyscraper pictures" then yeah, that should be linked and locked, but others are pretty easily ignored.

As for the personal issues, you all are idiots anyway. What do your opinions matter on that?

(PS, ;) on that last one there...:P)