PDA

View Full Version : # 7 subway line to and from queens

dirkbuddy
April 4th, 2005, 11:06 AM
we are staying by laguardia airport (crowne plaza)for a week in july, just wondering if anyone has riden on this line?
we want to take the fastest route, subway map shows willets pt-shea stadium to be an "express" train which makes 3-4 stops only on it's way to manhattan, i imagine this train would be pretty crowded say around 7:30 am - 9am. any advice anyone could give on riding this line or anyone who has stayed at this hotel, please give advice on how or what transportation you used to get to and from manhattan, any advice is greatly appreciated!

junglizt1210
April 4th, 2005, 12:20 PM
the 7 train is my favourite line :D

it can get crowded sometimes, and at other times it's jsut very busy. I couldn't get onto one at 40th st once because there were too many people on it..... jam packed sometimes i guess.......... if you don't get on the first one, the next one comes pretty soon, it's not a long wait, esp. during daytimes.

they had track repairs in February between Queensboro Plaza and 61st Woodside (or was it 69th...?) but i'm not sure whether thats still happening....

also, you might be interested in this article:
http://www.queenstribune.com/anniversary2002/internationalexpress.htm

dirkbuddy
April 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM
interesting article!

where do you usually catch this train in queens? and from your experiances how long does it take on average to get down to say times square?
we have to be at 8th ave and 66st at 9:30am one morning, just wondering what time we should catch the train at shea stadium? i know we have to transfer to the #1 train going uptown from times square.
thanks

junglizt1210
April 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I used to (was in NY in Feb.) catch it from 40 St-Lowery St (closest to where I stayed), and also 74 St-Broadway (Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue) when I'd buy food, and generally a place for shopping for some stuff...

I haven't been towards Flushing (eastbound) past 74 St , except once to 82 St by accident, so sorry, I can't tell you much. It takes about 20-30 mins around 10am-ish. Beofre then, it's a little more busy, and you might not get on the first one occasionally.

dchui
April 5th, 2005, 11:36 PM
The 7 express is a pretty good way in and out of Manhattan, and even if you take the local it's not bad even though it feels like it stops every few blocks (which it does). Trains are frequent, especially on weekdays, and they are well utilized into the evening. Shea Stadium station, however, is often quite empty when there's no baseball/tennis game going on, and it can be a pretty desolate area in the off-hours since you're basically just on a road in the middle of a park with some parking lots and rail yards thrown in. Note also that on some weekends the 7 train doesn't operate into Manhattan because of construction, so be aware of scheduled service disruptions as posted on the MTA web site and (theoretically) in every station on the line.

There are express trains in the weekday peak direction only (in to Manhattan in the morning, out of Manhattan in the afternoon and evening), with only local trains overnight and on weekends. Express trains are supposed to be designated with a diamond 7 instead of a circle 7, although this isn't always reliable. In most of Queens, the 7 line has 3 tracks and the express always runs on the middle track, while the locals run on the outer tracks.

The Crowne Plaza is not, however, within walking distance of any station on the 7 line, express or otherwise. If you stick to mass transit you'll have to take a bus (Q48 or Q23) to get to the station, and buses in NYC are, on the whole, slow and prone to delays. Were you planning on taking a taxi to Shea Stadium to get on the train?

I LOVE THE SOCCER
April 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Are the 7 trains crowded (crowding meaning at least 150 persons on the train) also at 3.00 AM in a normal weekday?

NewYorkYankee
April 6th, 2005, 09:11 PM
What is it with you and how many people are on the trains in the earl morning? People have stated NUMEROUS times that we dont exactly know. You would have to go see for yourself.

junglizt1210
April 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
LOL, i'll second the unreliability of the circle/diamond signs,.... I've seen quite a few trains in Manhattan going towards Queens that have both, and more than one of both kidns too.... watch out! best way is to ask someone, or even better, the conductor (he's the guy in the middle of he train)

junglizt1210
April 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM
...Trains arent really crowded at 3am. they are also infrequent during early mornings (e.g. one train every 20-30 mins)

Schadenfrau
April 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
What is it with you and how many people are on the trains in the earl morning? People have stated NUMEROUS times that we dont exactly know. You would have to go see for yourself.

Seriously.

ILoveTheSoccer, you'd better simmer down before Homeland Security decides that you're conjuring a plot to bomb a crowded (150 or more people) train at 3:00AM on a normal weekday morning.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
April 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Simply I love the city that sleeps never!!!!!!!!

Tricoastal
April 13th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Is this the line one catches after taking the M60 from LGA? Nicely timed and great views but SLOW train!

junglizt1210
April 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM
The N and W trains go to Astoria, the 7 does not.