PDA

View Full Version : Staying in a Motorhome in NYC & Smoking Ban

IrishLad101
April 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

I'll be travelling up the coast from Florida in a rented Motorhome to attend a 1 week course at NEW YORK FILM ACADEMY, 100 E. 17th St., New York, NY 10003.

I was wondering what are the practicalities/considerations to using the motorhome as my accommodation during my stay?

Are there places around the locale where I could park up?
What are costs / safety?

It's been a few years since I was in NY and I've never driven there but I hear it's unadvisable unless you really gotta but I think it will be a bit of an adventure... am I nuts?:eek:

Also what is the story with the Smoking Ban?
I smoke 2-3 packs a day and was looking forward to enjoying plenty of time in the bars. Are there many places I'll be able to enjoy a smoke with a beer. I'm coming in mid May so I guess the weather will be on my side.

BTW I'm coming over from Ireland where we've got a nationwide smoking ban in all public places for the last year so I've gotten used to smoking outside but it really sucks and is kinda depressing.

Thanks for your feedback.
Jim

Eugenius
April 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Not sure about the motorhome, but there is definitely a ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. You will typically see a number of people smoking outside of a bar.

Schadenfrau
April 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Lots of bars allow people to smoke after 11 or so.

Here's a list of bars where smoking is permitted at all times:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/search?histoindex_left=cw2&cw2=61&flavor_id=5&started=1&ulink=default__browselist_41___search__1

And here is a list of bars with outdoor seating:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/yellowpages/results/730_5th_Ave_New_York_NY/page1.html?flavor_id=5&cw2=32&radius_forced=15&cslink=cs_filter2

kevinny657
July 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Does anyone have the names of bars in manhattan that you can smoke in after 11pm coz i have never found any i all my visits.

Schadenfrau
July 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM
It's hit or miss with the smoking. If you send me a PM, I can name a few.

Ninjahedge
July 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Question on the permits, how can they allow that after 11PM if it was contested on the people working there, not on the food being served?

I have been to Dennehey's and it does not seem like a place where you can "protect" the workers if people start lighting up....

Is this only in the back portion outside on Varick?

As for Motor-Homes, there really are not many places to camp close to NYC. You may want to just try to "hold it in" and park on the street during the day (use the restrooms at the restaurants you go to). The only problems you will have with a motorhome are:

Navigation (NYC is not the most courteous of driving cities)
Waste Disposal (No #2)
Electricity (You have to go on batteries, and summer here is sticky-hot)
Water (Only what your tanks can hold).

Parking would also be difficult, but if you look hard enough at odd hours, you could probably find a road to park on. Just READ ALL THE SIGNS before you leave it there for the day, or it might cost you more than simply spending the night at a Hotel....

Schadenfrau
July 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
It's still not Bloomberg-approved to light up after 11PM, but many places turn a blind eye, Ninjahedge.