PDA

View Full Version : Summer in New York

bah
April 10th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Hey,
I'm a 19 year old Irish student in New York on a J1 working holiday visa - looking for a room/apartment share and a job in the New York area from May 30th to September 2nd, 2005. The only problem being getting a job, money, and err, accommodation. So basically everything's a problem so far... Anyway, I'd appreciate any help people can provide:

I've been looking on craigslist for jobs, but so far can't find anything - every ad is either looking for experience, full time or long term. I don't really want to "stretch the truth" and make them think I'll be staying longer than I actually am, or taking jobs that people who live in New York permanently could do with on a long-term basis. So any help anybody can give on the job front is very much appreciated!

I've also been looking for accommodation - again, lots of problems. I've sent out countless e-mails - but people either don't bother replying, or just say, no, sorry, too soon and lease is too short. So again, I'm looking for any help people can give - my dates are flexible - moving in anytime from May 30th to June 5th, vacating from August 7th to September 2nd. Preferably within about 30-45 mins of manhattan on public transport. And sharing with a similar aged student-type person would be great. Rent max is about $450 a month... Which, apparently, is tiny. Please, if you know of any leads, any websites, any forums, anything! I'd be unbelievably grateful.

Spending a summer in New York has been a dream for years, so I really want to make this work (not to mention the fact that I'm investing about $2000 on the visa/flights...).

Again, any help you can give wil be appreciated!
Thanks,
Colin

junglizt1210
April 10th, 2005, 11:56 AM
i have absolutely no idea any knowledge on visas and etc... i hear there are a lot of them, rather complciated too,....

i googled and found this site, http://www.j1jobs.com/ might be a head start, but I'm in a simialr position to you, I want to work there in teh summer too....

maybe you could consider summer camps? the only problem there is that some of the closest I've seen to NY is in Rockland, which is nowhere near... there might be some places in NJ which are closer to NY, but I doubt summer cap appeals to you.... i'll admit, it's a little tough...

what kind of places are you thinking of working in, and what kidn of experience do you already have? I persoanlly don't have much except in teh family business so I might be a little stumped...

bah
April 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
i have absolutely no idea any knowledge on visas and etc... i hear there are a lot of them, rather complciated too,....
what kind of places are you thinking of working in, and what kidn of experience do you already have? I persoanlly don't have much except in teh family business so I might be a little stumped...

Well my visa isn't the problem - I've already got a J1 - enabling me to work from May to September; it's the jobs/accommodation that's the problem.

I've got 2 years experience in bar work - working behind the bar, serving customers, ordering stock, etc. and three years experience in office and retail work - plus I'm fairly proficient in computers and office apps.
My parents own a bakery which I used to work in, so I have experience in hospitatlity/food industry - health and safety protocols, etc. So my experience isn't that bad... I'm also doing a degree in financial mathematics, so any kind of work in the financial district (even just working in a mail room of some bank) would be great for me.

Are you planning on going to New York this summer?

Thanks for the link - I found that site a few weeks ago - it's never updated and the employers never actually get back to you about your applications. So I'm assuming it's just a total dud.