PDA

View Full Version : Forum structure

Edward
April 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
The forum structure as we have it now was established during the September 2003 upgrade of software - there were around 800 registered members then.

I think it is time to revisit the issue in order to improve organization of threads - introduce new forums, and perhaps new categories. In addition to the usual forum types, for example such as "Skyscrapers and Architecture", vBulletin software allows to have subforums inside main forum (skyscrapercity.com uses this feature).

Myself, I think that Real Estate needs better organization. Perhaps "New Residential Buildings" subforum. Perhaps separating Real Estate for Manhattan and Other Boroughs.

"Photoshoot and Travel" section: I want to have General Photography forum that will exclude New York City pictures - these pictures would go into a subforum of "New York City Guide for Visitors".

"New York City Guide for Visitors" might benefit from subforum "New York visitors ask questions".

Post your opinion.

NoyokA
April 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
As a moderator of New York Real Estate I would like to hear other members opinions...

Personally I think we could use sub-forums for Manhattan Residential Developments and Brooklyn Residential Developments including all there respective neighborhoods.

I think the larger New York Real Estate forum will suffice for all other, less active threads.

yyy
April 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I agree with the idea about the "Photoshoot and Travel" section. It'll be much easier to locate New York pictures if you put them in a subforum. But I think it's more logical to put the subforum in the General Photography forum - pictures aren't just for visitors.

ZippyTheChimp
April 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM
New York City Guide for Visitors: The solution is separating topics that would be of interest to visitors from specific questions (taxi fares, hotel rates, etc) - so I think a subforum for questions is a good idea.

I like the idea of a subforum for NYC photos, since many of the photo series posted don't relate to a specific theme.

NewYorkYankee
April 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I would like to see something done with the Real Estate section. There are too many stickys at the top. (IMO)

Edward
April 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I have created a new forum Questions from Visitors (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38), as we discussed.

BrooklynRider
April 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
I do agree that the Real Estate Section should be revamped. Dividing into Commercial Projects, Residential Projects, Neighborhood Reports (for those items that affect Real Estate) and Real Estate Offerings (to capture those agents posting). I like the idea of subdivisions by Borough.

I also agree that the NYC for Visitors could be stand alone with subdivisions, Restaurants / Accommodations, Attractions / Sights, Questions from Travelers.

NoyokA
April 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
I strongly believe too many subdivisions in Real Estate will make the forum stagnant. I think the only two subjects that can sustain independent discussions are Manhattan and Brooklyn Residential Developments. Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens, donít garner much attention, for instance I made Queens West a sticky thread because it is NYC's most up and coming neighborhood, despite all the new development interest was minimal, and I un-stickied it. Commercial Real Estate sits best as a sticky, I find it to be rather redundant, I don't think Wired New York is the right crowd of people to have soo many building sales threads, we care about building sales rarely if ever. Neighborhood Reports are likewise appropriate for threads. And Real Estate Offerings should stay as a sticky since interest here too is minimal.

I think we need to be careful as to not making these sub-divisions, ghost towns.

I do agree that the Real Estate Section should be revamped. Dividing into Commercial Projects, Residential Projects, Neighborhood Reports (for those items that affect Real Estate) and Real Estate Offerings (to capture those agents posting). I like the idea of subdivisions by Borough.

I also agree that the NYC for Visitors could be stand alone with subdivisions, Restaurants / Accommodations, Attractions / Sights, Questions from Travelers.

ryan
April 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
I agree with Stern that too many subdivision would stifle the forum a bit. I like the new "questions from visitors" area, but I think the forum works well largely the way it is.

BrooklynRider
April 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Commercial Real Estate sits best as a sticky, I find it to be rather redundant, I don't think Wired New York is the right crowd of people to have soo many building sales threads, we care about building sales rarely if ever. Neighborhood Reports are likewise appropriate for threads. And Real Estate Offerings should stay as a sticky since interest here too is minimal.

I just see that Orion thread booming. We drew those posters from somewhere, but they are all kind of "thread-dedicated".

Is there a "Mission Statement" of "Vision and Values Statement" for WiredNY? That would probably be the best way to determine what should be highlighted, separated and combined. Is there a capacity limit for the forum? Are we looking to expand membership, expand quality posting or just apply the technology for the fun of it?

Also, do more forums & sub-forums mean a bigger job for moderators? If it gets to divided, it might become more difficult to identify duplicate threads and redundancies in posting.

Not sure if this helps.. Just a mind dump.

Edward
April 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
I have created a sub-forum for Real Estate - Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx Real Estate (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)

NoyokA
April 27th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I donít know, since this subforum was created the once bustling Brooklyn threads have sat dormant.

Edward
April 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Too early to judge, less than a week passed

Edward
April 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I have created a second subforum in New York City Guide for Visitors: Photos of New York (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)

ZippyTheChimp
April 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Good move.

czsz
June 10th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Brooklyn seems to dominate the outer boroughs real estate forum to the extent that it might be wise to allow it its own domain and let Queens, the Bronx, and SI share the leftover forum.

NoyokA
June 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Brooklyn seems to dominate the outer boroughs real estate forum to the extent that it might be wise to allow it its own domain and let Queens, the Bronx, and SI share the leftover forum.

The last thing we need is even more subforums.

BrooklynRider
June 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
The last thing we need is even more subforums.

Yeah, with a bit of hindsight, the Real Esate sub-forums have become quiet relative to previous levels of posting and traffic (it seems).

Strangely, that one extra click feels like "too much work" on some days.

Or, perhaps I'm turning into a lazy ass.

muscle1313
June 18th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Big mistake making a subforum for the outer boroughs in the real estate section. Forum went from hot to cold instantly.

NoyokA
June 26th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I don't think there should be a sub forum for Metro Real Estate. In my time as a moderator I have only seen one thread that would belong in such a forum. As is New York Metro is pretty stagnant, I will however create a sticky thread for it.