PDA

View Full Version : How not to look like a tourist??

abbygirl
April 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
So I hear and read that you don't want to look like a tourist. I know this may be a stupid question to those who live in NYC, but,

1) (Top 10 ways) How not look like a tourist?
2) AND: (Top 10 ways) How can you spot a tourist?

If this question has already been answered, can you give me the link to where this is? Thank you

Edward
April 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
What's the problem with looking like a tourist?

How to spot a tourist: 99.9% of people in Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center are tourists.

TLOZ Link5
April 23rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Tourists often have a look of apprehension or confusion when they're doing things that New Yorkers consider routine, like riding the subway. The more obvious ones carry maps.

Sometimes it's almost a spider sense; you can just tell.

junglizt1210
April 23rd, 2005, 04:36 AM
wearing black when travelling outside Manhattan I would say is a good idea to blend in.

I don't mean go like a goth with chains and tattos and bl;ack everything, jsut that I was in NY recently, and wearing a red coat, really sticks out.

And don't wear an NYPD or FDNY hat or clothes when travelling outside the main tourist areas. New York Yankees hats etc... are generally worn around NY, so they're better....

You can travel around the subway without a map, or needing to look at one, if you have a good sense of direction, or a good memory.

NewYorkYankee
April 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM
What about looking at the maps in the subway stations that are posted up? Not having one of your own all folded out? I mean, Im sure even NY'ers have to look at the subway map sometimes.

junglizt1210
April 23rd, 2005, 02:46 PM
that's a little different :)

kmistic
April 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about looking like a tourist. You might get some offers for sunglasses, handbags and rolex watches, but other than that you will be alright.

abbygirl
April 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
THank you for your replies.

Joyce

sirhcman
April 25th, 2005, 08:04 PM
If you dont want to look or act like a tourist then what is the fun of going to visit New York?!? Thats how I look at it :) When I went last May the locals were very nice and helped us out alot..You should be fine.

Deimos
April 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Tourists unfold a subway map, or read the maps in the general areas of the stations. The maps on the platforms or in the trains get read by all. Also when walking, tourists look around for a bit when leaving subway stations, while those of us from NYC just walk to where we're going. Just start walking when you leave the station and figure out where you're going while on your feet... if you have to make 3 left turns instead of 1 right turn, nobody will know but you. If you must stop for any reason, just make sure that you're not in a choke point for traffic flow (ie: staircases to subway stations, exits from buildings).

There is nothing wrong with being a tourist... just please try to keep the city moving while you're here. (ok, so the fact that my office is across the street from Grand Central, and every day while on cigarette breaks, I'm giving directions to visitors probably has skewed my feelings a little).

Oh, and belt bags and cameras around your neck both make tourists stand out from the crowd.

Schadenfrau
April 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Don't take up more than your fair share of space on the subway like the tourists I saw this morning. There were two of them so sprawled out that they were taking up three seats and wondering why people were glaring.

ryan
April 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Don't wear matching outfits with your traveling companions. I work next to St. Patricks, and I'm continually amazed/impressed by this phenomenon. I should take pics. I also once saw a tourist walk up to a bus and ask the driver for directions in a strong drawl. She didn't walk up to the door, though - she stood in the middle of 5th ave and stopped both the bus and a lane of traffic.

That said, I wouldn't worry about looking like a tourist. There are massive numbers around all the tourist areas, so no one will judge.

BrooklynRider
April 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
If you need to stop and look at a map or want to stop to chat to friends or strangers, GET OUT OF THE WAY!! The sidewalks are our expressways. Step to the side and get out of the way. Don't screw with a New Yorker's momentum. All of our walking and street crossing is based on trajectories. One out of tune tourist can throw a whole day out of whack!

Schadenfrau
April 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
What is with the people wearing matching outfits? That seems to have really taken off recently.

ryan
April 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Seems to be two varieties of matching tourists - one is the tour group with matching t-shirts, uniforms or jackets. Conformity is foisted on teenagers all the time anyway, so why not keep it practical for their wranglers?

The other, much more exciting version is the matching couple. Like city-going squares partners, often the woman's skirt/pants/skort(?) matches the man's shirt. I've even seen a band of plaid from the woman's skirt used on the man's straw had. Sometimes you'll see matching representive sweatshirts, or puffy-paint-customized "smith trip 2005" sweathirts/t-shirts.

kmistic
April 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Don't take up more than your fair share of space on the subway like the tourists I saw this morning. There were two of them so sprawled out that they were taking up three seats and wondering why people were glaring.

I am not a New Yorker, but i will add another subway tip. If all the seats are taken don't stop immediatly after you enter the train. You will block the remaining people that need to get on. I HATE that.

MagnumPI
April 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Dont forget a classic:
http://www.labrea.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000005/iloveny_sml.jpg

ofekslayer
May 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
My favorite place in the world is New-York. I've been there twice - a month every time. Someone here was writing about getting out of the way for those who are in hurry, and the first time I got off the train and saw the masses of people rushing to work - I kinda figured it out on my own. I never felt I should have tried not to look like a tourist. On the contrary; New-Yorkers have been always helping me with the information I needed, and they are very nice. I believe New York is one place you can completely allow yourself to be a tourist, and behave like one.

kmistic
May 6th, 2005, 12:53 AM
http://www.harlemlive.org/arts-culture/cartoons/tourists/tourists.jpg

found at http://harlemlive.com

ryan
May 6th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I believe New York is one place you can completely allow yourself to be a tourist, and behave like one.

This is very true. NYC is packed full of tourists having fun - I don't think it really matters if you look like a tourist at all. I give directions all the time and I don't mind at all. Sometime I offer help when people are arguing over a map. I've been other spots and needed help, so it's only right to reciprocate.

I restrained myself from traveling in uniform though...

Hof
May 7th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Each time I visit the City,I grow a little more schitzophrenic.
I'm FROM NY,but I haven't lived there for thirty years,so I go there as a humble tourist,a learned outsider with cash money in his pocket.A Native Tourist.
I know the place,but still have to carry maps and books,or at least notes,so I can get around easily.I HATE looking like a tourist.
When I first began visiting on a regular basis,about ten years ago,I was as lost as a naif first-timer just off the Greyhound from East Jesus,Idaho.I had to re-learn all the NY protocols,like keep moving and no sudden stops on a crowded sidewalk,like never bothering to initiate a conversation with a cabbie,like actually counting my change,like pizza comes by the "slice",not the "piece".Like,"Bolex" does not mean that it is a good watch,even if the salesman IS in front of St Patrick's.
I re-remembered how to deal with panhandlers(tell them to go away)and was reminded that,unlike most of Florida,some New Yorkers talk to themselves;that street phenomonon like violence or sudden shouting is not a reason to stop and investigate,it's a reason to reverse direction and get the hell away from whatever was happening.
I began wearing a jacket to carry all my crap;my camera,cellphone,cigarettes,sunglasses,notes,maps and books were out of sight,and I never felt like an out-of-town geek,except when it was 90 and I sweat my ass off on a roasting Subway;my jacket was soaked through,my Camels were soggy and my notes were all smudged.I knew that everyone on the train thought I was from E.J.,Idaho by the way they scorned me,but I didn't care.
I re-mastered the thousand yard stare and was able to pass through Washington Square or Times Square without being approached by any of the local wierdness.I knew exactly what I wanted when I bought food,and I shunned lines.I always walk like I had to be somewhere else right now,a bold,purposeful walk that evidently scared off all the wierdos.I always got a cab just before it started to rain,never after.
I also recalled how to utilize the pedestrian creep.Whenever a clot of City folk have to wait for a "WALK" to cross the street,some inner urban instinct kicks in and they all step off the curb moments before the light changes.The crowd,impatient with all this waiting,furtively mills out to the edge of the traffic stream,then they all pick up the pace THE EXACT SECOND THAT THE LIGHT CHANGES.When "DON"T WALK" flashes off,they are moving.This is a VERY New York thing,and if you can perfect it no one will badge you as a tourist.
Once I got THAT down,I began feeling like I belonged again.
These days I can visit NY and blend right in,just another schitzophrenic tourist.

NewYorkYankee
May 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I have noticed that NY'ers watch the traffic lights not the walking signs. When the light turns yellow they start walking. In ATL and Chicago Ive noticed that you always wait becuase people run the lights.

MikeKruger
May 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM
hey I just started doing that last weekend when I went in the city.
I'm blending in baby!

czsz
May 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM
You could take it a step further and wade out into the street when the pedestrian signal for the cross street starts flashing red.

NY_Yankees_1979
June 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I don't see any problems with tourists..I shop in Times Square sometimes and I'm not a tourist so I must be one of the 0.1% of people that are in Times Square and not a tourist..which with a city of over 8 million people is quite a bit.

drlikuid1444
July 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Tourist always hang around broadway, and as a New Yorkeer you know that everything there is a tourist trap that is either a rip off or something you dont want to go to. The restaurants are aweful, and over priced. Also dont go to the morning show etc, and walk quickly move with the traffic.

NY_Yankees_1979
July 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I don't do any of the tourist stuff there, I will sometimes go to Times Square for 1 thing and leave the area rather quickly. And I don't spend much time in Manhattan as awhole either. I live in the Bronx so I mainly shop in the Bronx or Westchester County.

bohemian rhapsody
July 4th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I have noticed that NY'ers watch the traffic lights not the walking signs. When the light turns yellow they start walking. In ATL and Chicago Ive noticed that you always wait becuase people run the lights.

I seem to remember that NYers always run the lights. I heard somewhere that it's like an unwritten rule that 4 (I think) cars go after it's red... maybe I'm wrong, I haven't been to NY for a while.

My favorite part of crossing streets in NY would be the cabbies honking at pedestrians when they have the walk sign. :D

As for the whole tourist thing - don't be embarassed if you end up looking like one, looking at maps and taking pics. Like someone else said, being a typical tourist in NY is no big deal. They're everywhere.
The biggest things tourists do to brand themselves as such, as other posters mentioned, is to stop in the middle of the sidewalk or hold up traffic while looking up at buildings or figuring out where to go. New Yorkers are friendly and helpful to tourists, just don't piss one off by disrupting the flow of things. Then you are annoying.

JCMAN320
July 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
My biggest thing is when people stop in the middle of traffic that pisses me off. Its true though if you live in the outer boroughs, those people don't go to Manhattan much at all. Also when people wait at a light then go when it turns green and decided to walk when cars start moving that is so annoying it is like they are mesmerized by the stopped traffic and walk when the traffic moves again.

phxmania2001
July 6th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Feel free to stare at whatever you like, but please please PLEASE don't do it in the middle of the sidewalk. Just step off to the side.

NY_Yankees_1979
July 6th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I had family come here last year and they wanted to go to Manhattan. Really Manhattan is the only borough that tourists want to see anyways and I for one hate Manhattan because of the stupid tourists. All the tourists do is hang around Times Square, once you've seen Times Square than move on geez.

fioco
July 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM
phxmania gives good advice (as do many others) about how to be a welcome tourist. But where is this concern about not looking like a tourist? Get over it, or spend your energy on how you might appear to others instead of enjoying the experience. Any city is best explored by savoring it in bite-size pieces. While Times Square can be fun for its sheer visual over-kill, even there you will find even more delight when you focus on a few specifics.

Get out of the way (perhaps shielded by a mail box or lamp post), but gawk away . . . look up and all around. Notice lintels, roof tops, water tanks, inventive window displays, and especially, slow down your vision enough to safely observe the fascinating characters on the street. It's people, ultimately, that make a city enjoyable. Twenty years later I probably still look like a tourist on occasion... (You lookin' at me?) ... As Auntie Mame wisely observed: Life is a banquet and the poor bastards are starving to death. No eyes should ever know visual famine in New York. Engorge yourself.

pockNY2006
January 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I had family come here last year and they wanted to go to Manhattan. Really Manhattan is the only borough that tourists want to see anyways and I for one hate Manhattan because of the stupid tourists. All the tourists do is hang around Times Square, once you've seen Times Square than move on geez.

Without those "stupid tourists", NYC wouldn't survive. I wouldn't put them down. It's a tourist city, nothing you can do about it.

NewYorkYankee
January 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
While I think tourism helps New York's economy greatly, I dont think it would die without them. New York has the most Fortune 500 companies in the US (Perhaps the world), that alone would sustain the city. New York is more than tourism.

antinimby
January 14th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Not everyone can work for Morgan Stanley. Many NYer's work for non-Fortune 500 companies. Also don't forget the small businesses that rely on tourism both directly and indirectly.

stache
January 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Engorge yourself.

But please wear a trench coat! :P

harriet1954
January 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I know I'll have no problem, then, as I am originally from, and visit fairly often, Philadelphia. I see more than my share of obvious tourists downtown there, and yes, if they ask a question I'll try to help. Some questions are entertaining enough to try to store in the memory bank for later. People aren't always street-wise, that's for sure, and they just don't realize they're holding up the flow of pedestrian traffic.

You've pretty much got to act like you're minding your own business, I think.

pscoln1
May 24th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Yea I cant really tell whose a tourist and whose not of course for the obvious signs like carrying around a map and not having the nyc lingo down pat. I know when pple are not from around here when they tell me they want to go north (which every true NYer would say is 'uptown'). But its not a big deal because I have lived in nyc my whole life and everytime i walk into times square i feel like a tourist myself being that I am generally never ever in that area.

cathyx
May 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM
By not being a tourist but rather a maquerelle... It's a french word, ask haitians about....:)

GowanusGuy
May 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Here's a few tips on how to avoid looking and acting like a typical tourist:

- Don't wear a fanny pack and sweatpants at the same time.

- Try not to walk four across on the sidwalk, blocking everyone walking in each direction.

- Try to keep to the right when walking on the sidewalk. Most (but not all) NYers do this (I wish everyone would.)

- Look both ways when leaving a store or restaurant so as not to run into someone who's trying to walk down the sidewalk.

- Don't ask a New Yorker where 'ground zero' is. Many of us hate being reminded that it is now mainly a tourist attraction.

Chr
May 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
My #1 trick for not looking like a tourist is having a map and subwaymap on my cellphone ("The rough guide, New York" on a SE P800). That way nobody can tell that I'm reading a map! It's also probably faster than folding out a huge paper map all the time.

I don't think all tourists just hang around times square while visiting. I for one part, am not planning to spend much time there. For me the point of traveling to new york, is to experience the city, just walking around finding hidden treasures around every corner. And enjoying the tall buildings, of course. I just love tall buildings! Wish more of the skyscrapers had observation decks..

And the things said here about how to behave on the sidewalk, on the subway and while crossing the street.. That's even true in the relativitly small city i live in (Oslo, Norway). It's often easy to tell if a person is living in the city or not. Escpecially on the subway and subwaystations. Even if the escalator has big signs saying "Stand to the right, walk to the left", people from out of town always stand in the middle of the escalator, with one hand on each handrail, blocking the morning commuters. It's a global phenomenon :)

Scruffy88
May 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Here is one that bothers me. you dont want to look like a tourist, when you get out of the subway and up the stairs and reach the street, for the love of god, dont stop there to get your bearings. there are a couple hundred people behind you and you just blocked their way out. Walk 10 more feet and hang out at the side to look at your map, check your cellphone, adjust whatever you have to. And you wont get an elbow to the face. sorry by the way to the guy i elbowed to the face. it really wasn't intentional, i was pushed from behind. but it was rather satisfying

lofter1
May 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
If you DO want to look like a (stupid) NYer then stop at the top of the subway stairs to finish that cell phone call (before you lose that signal down below). Make real sure that you block the way for all those other folks who are trying to use the stairs. Pay those people no mind. Don't say "Sorry" or anything. Just keep blabbing away. Stand there on the steps for at least three minutes.

LeCom
May 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Sometimes I'm afraid I look like a tourist. I got my cam on the ready much of the time, and snap away at the buildings, like many of us on here do, yet that's very touristy in its essense.

Zerlina
May 27th, 2006, 09:16 AM
What's wrong in looking like a tourist?:confused:

milleniumcab
May 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Hey Zerlina, you took the words right out of my mouth...

There is absouletly nothing wrong with looking like a tourist in NYC. We are full of them all the time...

Just one thing though... hurry the hell up crossing the streets...:D

margo3
May 31st, 2006, 11:55 AM
I was wondering what a local new yorker would be wearing walking in Manhattan in the early summer? I am a tourist and do not want to looki like one, so I know not to wear shorts....What about capris and sandals? I want to be comfortable but also don't want to look like I just left the beach. Thanks.

Ninjahedge
May 31st, 2006, 11:58 AM
People wear sandals around teh city all the time, but I would not recommend it.

There are lots of curbs, puddles, and other crap to step in, stub on or trip over in the city.

I would recommend docksiders, loafers, sneakers or something comfy to walk in. You are not going hiking, but you can do an awful lot of walking in NYC.

lofter1
May 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM
flip-flops and shorts are the official summer outfit for downtown NYers ...

GowanusGuy
June 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
This is very true. Although I can't think of any footwear less appropriate for Manhattan than flip-flops. I was always told that when visiting NYC, never wear shoes that you can't run in.

Ninjahedge
June 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
This is very true. Although I can't think of any footwear less appropriate for Manhattan than flip-flops. I was always told that when visiting NYC, never wear shoes that you can't run in.

Otherwise you would not be able to professionally Jaywalk like the rest of us!

ryan
June 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM
I agree that flip flops are wildly inappropriate for nyc, but more for the cooties (real and imagined) than for the running. eew.

Anarchy77
June 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
What's wrong in looking like a tourist?:confused:

You are much more of a target for muggers.

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 04:05 AM
You are much more of a target for muggers.OK, Zerlina... Wear your running shoes:))) the faster you are, the safer you are....you would think?....

ablarc
June 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
You are much more of a target for muggers.
Muggers? I heard they were all gone.

Ninjahedge
June 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Muggers? I heard they were all gone.

The guys that rob you or the ones that get paid to make faces for advertisements that plaster them all over the city?

Zerlina
June 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Would you explain me, please, the meaning of "muggers"???
And... what kind of shoes are the "flip flops" (if this word means "shoes":D )

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Mugger:

http://www.roedermoon.com/mugger.gif

Flip flops:

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/uploaded_images/flip%20flops%202-772514.JPG

Luca
June 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Dunno about not looking like a 'toorist'.

Try this, though. Most tourists, and indeed most people these days, dress like total scruffs 'cause it's "comfortable". In reality, good quality, well-fitted clothes are always comfortable. Try dressing well. I mean really dressed up. You'll get excellent treatment everywhere. I've found (non-PC alert! non-PC alert!!) that some of the less, uhm, savory, elements take a very positive and respectful attitude toward a well-heeled person. Everyone prefers a prosperous, potentially high-spending tourist to a cheapskate in a comedy t-shirt. Of course you also get much better treatment by shopkeep[ers, restauranteurs, bouncers, etc.

Msot importantly, you'll look good doing it. Indeed, sartorial elegance is so uncommon, that you may even look ODD, which means everyone will think you're a real new yorker. :)

ryan
June 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
You think a well-dressed (I'll assume you mean formally-dressed) person would be odd in new york?

Zerlina
June 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Oh... thanks a lot!!!
So... mugler is a "thief" and flip flops are the shoes that I'm just wearing!!!:D
Well, it's true that if you're dressed up you can get excellent treatment everywhere... especially if you're a pretty girl just like me!!!:p

Zerlina
June 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
You think a well-dressed (I'll assume you mean formally-dressed) person would be odd in new york?
No, I don't think so... why should it be?

ryan
November 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Avoid matching outfits, fleece, flags...

http://static.flickr.com/102/297769599_496779a598.jpg

NYC244
November 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM
and they are all looking up!:D

What's the problem with looking like a tourist?

How to spot a tourist: 99.9% of people in Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center are tourists.

rickybobby859
November 16th, 2006, 01:00 PM
yeah, when i went to ny no one knew that i was a tourist. I guess im just like people from nyc. Even when i asked for directions they still thought i was from the nyc:)

daver
November 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
yeah, when i went to ny no one knew that i was a tourist. I guess im just like people from nyc. Even when i asked for directions they still thought i was from the nyc:)
You were probably asking the tourists! :D

NYC244
November 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
what i wanna know is-why is it so bad to look like tourist?
are you ashamed of that?
no matter what you do,if you don't live here,you know you ain't nothing else but tourist-so live with that.
besides,you can act any kind of way,but as soon as you opene your mouth-everyone will know you are not new yorker!simple as that.;)

hobo
November 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
You were probably asking the tourists! :D
notimportantisit....justbedressed..legal..knowwhat imean..touristornot..impthingsareearnsomemoney,enj oyandaimforwifeandkids!!!!

daver
November 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Not to jump on the overflowing bandwagon, but yah ... Look like what you like. Who cares. You'll be a lot happier if you not only don't care about whether you look like a tourist, but also don't even bother to notice if people are noticing you looking like a tourist. Or whatever. Just look out when I am trying to make the train and don't park your butt in the middle of the walkway and we'll be good...

hobo
November 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
handsinpockets..nomapsorbags..justkeepwalkin..like youbeenthereallyerlife........attheendofthedaywhoc aresifyoutouristornot..toworryisasin......enjoyenj oyenjoy......

lofter1
November 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM
... they are all looking up! :D

not necessariily tourists ...

could very well be a wirednewyorker admiring the architecture ;)

NYC244
November 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM
not necessariily tourists ...

could very well be a wirednewyorker admiring the architecture ;)

that's true!:)
i was admiring the view yesterday...all those buildings,half way dipped in fog.it was awsome! you could only see the first 40-50 stories ,everything else actually disappeared.it was so beautiful.but...i was the only one looking up...it seems.even though i am not a turist any more!:D

Ninjahedge
November 17th, 2006, 09:08 AM
You just have to remember, when you look up, don't look with your mouth open, don't point, don't have someone in front of you posing for the shot, and look like you are doing something you know about.

That's about it.

Better yet, take a look at the threads, see when these guys take their shots, and try to guess/figure out if someone taking pictures of the BoA building is really one of us!!! ;)

lofter1
November 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM
ha ha ^^^ I wonder that all the time when I see photographers taking shots of new buildings going up ...

Sometimes I ask -- no one has ever admitted to being a wny-er :cool:

NYC244
November 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
i remember when i was a tourist for a week(end of 2001)and my cousin took me to g.zero and she wanted to take a pic..and i was like-no,hell no...not because she wanted to take a pic right there,but because of things like this
http://www.homoturisticus.com/public_files/antropo/images/20050209170534.jpeg

OmegaNYC
November 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not from the city, but I have my few tips:

1) The most important to me. When in a busy area, like Times Sq, keep moving! Don't stop. It slows everyone down. Also, please don't walk slow! I hate that!!! I'm a tall guy (about 6'7) so I take long strides, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have to shuffle my feet, all because some group of people in front of me is just taking a Sunday stroll.

2) NYC is full of wackos and nut jubs. We all know that. To aviod looking like a trouist, don't stare at these people.

3) Most people alluded to this point. Don't hug the sidewalks. It is really annoying to walk the streets and you have a mass of 10 people just walking like they own the streets.

lofter1
November 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Where is ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"the silk city" ?

Ninjahedge
November 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
ha ha ^^^ I wonder that all the time when I see photographers taking shots of new buildings going up ...

Sometimes I ask -- no one has ever admitted to being a wny-er :cool:

Hi, my name is Ninjahedge... And I am a WNYer....

[Everyone] HI NINJA!!!!

lofter1
November 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
lol ^^^

But I see that your attempt to overcome your wny-olism isn't working out so well ;)

Time for an intervention :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ninjahedge
November 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
lol ^^^

But I see that your attempt to overcome your wny-olism isn't working out so well ;)

Time for an intervention :confused: :confused: :confused:

NOOOOO!!!!

It is one of the only sites I do not feel guilty surfing at work!!!!!!!!

Well, not AS guilty....... Not as if I would actually do this at work or anything... These posts are all pre scripted!!!! ;)

OmegaNYC
November 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Where is ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"the silk city" ?

That is just the nickname of Paterson, NJ. My home town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson%2C_NJ

lofter1
November 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
L1: Time for an intervention :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ninja: NOOOOO!!!!

We're getting seriously OT here, but sometimes the mental health of a fellow wny-er (wny-ist?) is paramount ...

Do I detect a high level of resistence to the possibility that your wny activities have gotten out of hand?

Just something to think about ;)

It seems that you have figured out a good system that allows you to integrate your surreptitious wny wanderings into the fabric of your workday so that your superiors either 1) don't know or 2) don't mind ...

The "associates" here at the "home" where lately I have been "invited" to pass my time think that they have been successful in their attempt to curb what they term my "over zealous" inerest in wny -- but what do they know :D ?

(I'll show them who's smarter than the average bear ;) )

Back to the topic at hand ...

When waiting on the subway platform make sure you lean out over the edge to look down the tracks for the train that never seems to be coming ... that really freaks tourists out :p -- so if you do it everyone will assume that you're a native :cool:

daver
November 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
That is just the nickname of Paterson, NJ. My home town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson%2C_NJ
Hey, that is where I would end up if I fell asleep on my bus from PABT to work and didn't get off in South Hackensack. So, uh, howdy neighbor! I guess.

When waiting on the subway platform make sure you lean out over the edge to look down the tracks for the train that never seems to be coming ... that really freaks tourists out :p -- so if you do it everyone will assume that you're a native :cool:
And make sure you cross between the cars once you get on the train too.

Gotham
November 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
As a former Manhattanite, and now Queens resident... let me say that NY's love the tourists. Take many photos, eat every type of food, stay as low-key as possible, and spend alot of money.:D