PDA

View Full Version : Germany -> USA (NewYork)

JayB
April 29th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Hello,

i have a question. I'm 16 years old (so sorry for my bad english ;) ) and i would like to be emigrate to the USA in a few years. my graduation here in germany is like a highschool graduation in the us. So, here my questions:

Do Germans chances in the USA have to live durably?

Is there high unemployment in NewYork?

When i'm adult in the USA? (Germany = 18 years)
Thanks in advance,

Jay

sirhcman
April 30th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Jay the legal age to considered an adult in the USA is 18. Although you cant consume or purchase alcohol until you are 21.

Edward
May 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Jay, everyone has a chance in New York, Germans included

MichaelMike5556
May 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
You should do just fine . people from all over the globe do great in the US . and being german well 90% of are population have some german in them so i would be to worryed just bring a strong work ethic and a good atttude and you will do just fine. i myself have famly in Koln

körperklaus
March 3rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
i´m coming from germany,too...
i heard that it is narrowly not possible to get a permission to stay or something else to get in the usa...
if you don´t have enought money or familiar relationship to usa it will be impossible to live in the the usa continuous... but you can make a practice semester or other exchange of students in the usa for a calculated time...

warum reden wir eigentlich kein deutsch??? :D

Jake
March 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Sorry guys, because the US has a retarded immigration policy we won't take guys like you. But if you move to Pakistan you can always win a visa in a lottery.

Ugh....some real advice. First complete your college education. Unless you're coming to the US to go to school it's pointless. If you come here to live after HS you will work construction for the rest of your life. Get an education and you'll be set. The reason is that is that 1) You can get a visa based on your occupation, if the demand for that specialized worker is present and 2) You get extra points for education on every kind of an application for immigration in the US.

In Canada (in case you're interested) anyone with a higher education can file for a greencard and after passing an English test you can emigrate without a problem. The US has no such program.

I would very much not advise you to come here otherwise. There are sparks of immigration reform in Congress which are hinting at legalizing status for illegal immigrant and later deporting them.

Bottom Line: Without college AND legal status you can't be better off here than in Germany. Get an education and if the US doesn't change immigration policy by then go to Canada, and live the same life Americans do.

Any questions just ask me, I know immigration law very well. And BTW, my father's side of the family is originally from Munich.

Oh and another thing....I said above about getting a "visa" I know Germans don't need a visa to come to the US, I'm referring to a greencard or other kinds of employment authoriztion, you can come here all you want, but without a job.... I think the answer is obvious.

körperklaus
March 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
why do you want to go to the usa??
i see nothing vantages...
the unemployment is smaller but you won´t have any social safeguarding...
please decide your adjudication...

greetz from hamburg city...

CraigyB10
March 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM
why do you want to go to the usa??
i see nothing vantages...
the unemployment is smaller but you won´t have any social safeguarding...
please decide your adjudication...

greetz from hamburg city...

Erm let's see, because USA and Canada are the places to be!!

Don't know about Germany, but England is going down thepan fast, ideally i would love to move to a big US city New York or Chicago preferably but if not Canada and Toronto shall be my destination :D

ablarc
March 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Don't know about Germany, but England is going down thepan fast
Sorry to hear that. I was just planning a trip to the UK.

What's making England go down the pan fast?

Scotland also?

CraigyB10
March 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. I was just planning a trip to the UK.

What's making England go down the pan fast?

Scotland also?

Our ''great'' Government. Not to go into too much detail, but their newest great idea now is, you have to pay for every single drop of cold water that comes out of your tap!! It's insane, as if they dont make enough money out of damn taxes, i may just be speaking due to my total lack of will to stay in this country any longer than i have to lol or maybe because i have been to the USA and see it as a much better place to be, but either way im sure if you are visiting there will be enough to keep you busy and entertained, without you having to worry about a thing, i personally have only been Skiing at the Nevis Range in Scotland and it is great there, but as a whole cant really comment.

Enjoy your trip though, where abouts are you going - London??

antinimby
March 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Honestly Craig, these are the types of gripes everyone have towards their country's government. You certainly shouldn't abandon a country base on those things. The US (and I'm sure Canada) have a lot of insane laws and ordinances too, just so you know.

Luca
March 7th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Yo Craigy, many places in the US have had water metering for decades....that's not a very good reason to determine a coutnry is going downhill.

Don't worry ABLARC, London is still a fantastic destination.

ablarc
March 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Water metering...the devil's work!

Ninjahedge
March 8th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Water metering...the devil's work!

Yeah!

Most of the US has the same thing! How dare they!!!!!! ;)

Hate to tell you Craig, but in the US, a lot of places charge you not only for what you bring into your house, but how much you flush as well.

I have no idea how they get these numbers, but an "estimate" of how much "crap" the city municipality (in our case, Hoboken) has to "export" out of your home is made and you have to pay a fee for it.

As for our immigration policy, it is a little screwed up. Friend of ours was here for a while in college (Stevens) but faced problems staying unless he had a work Visa (IOW, you need a job that would be willing to hire and keep you, and hopefully that would be something you like as well) or he married his GF.

Needless to say he has done both and is still here... ;)

But unless you are going on some sort of exploration of the states (liek many US citizens do before or after college in Europe), I would go for some University first. Either there OR here. It will make life a bit easier.

lofter1
March 8th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Recent visa airport detention "snafu": http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86784&postcount=212

Jake
March 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
but US and Canada have by far the lowest prices of water in the world. US and Canada together hold a gigantic part of the world's fresh water supply.

I wouldn't move here, NYC has that whole promise of new life blah blah blah, maybe a 100 years ago. There are no good cities left in the world anymore. You move to NYC you will work construction all your life, and I don't mean nice Union construction with benefits.

Besides there;s nothing here, no skiing anywhere near, not one decent beach, marina fees are outrageous so no boating, retarded neighbors who feel the need to pray in arabic at 6 ****ing am, not enough hockey rinks, all the jobs moving away because we chase them out, consistanly ranks #1 as "most bomb-able city in the world" by al-Queda magazine, traffic everywhere, human traffic everywhere, soon to be an Arab port.

There are some great things about NYC that I will miss, the skyline, the MET, the restaurants, the everything in the financial district. But the problems here are numerous

My aunt lives in Manchester, she says they preach in the streets how the US are infidels, I'd say the whole western world is going down the drain, our culture is being wiped out, I've attended every level of schooling in the US educational system and learned about other cultures every semester, yet in all those years I didn't have a SINGLE European history class. I guess someone decided that Rosa Parks is far more important than the Renaissance.

But that's just me raving again.

antinimby
March 9th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Lol. Don't pay no mind to that ^.
He is disgruntled with Arabs moving into his neighborhood and obviously has an ax to grind.