PDA

View Full Version : Places for DVD's/Diners/Shaving in NY

Ollie G
May 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Hi, I'm from the UK and have loved NY for ages. I've been before, but with the family and this summer I leave education and begin full time work in film, I decided to treat myself with a trip for four nights in July by myself. I found this forum, and looking at the amazing photos re-inforced by excitement of going to this wonderful city, and was wondering if you can help me with the following three questions.

1. I'm a film fan and maker, and therefore I love to pickup DVD's. Before I've used Virgin Megastores, HMV and Tower Records but if anybody could recomend anywhere else that is reliable and sells DVD's that would be great.

2. Last time I went, I eat in a fantastic Diner on the Avenue of the Americas, but can't remember the name without a prompt. If anyone could let me know of a list or a directory of diners in the area, again I would be excedingly grateful.

3. I noticed the barbers The Art of Shaving and was tempted by the Royal Shave, has anyone used this company before (they are on madison avenue) is so, what are the shaves like and would it be worth booking well in advance.

Many thanks for your help, and as this is my first post, I hope it's the first of many ion this great forum

Schadenfrau
May 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Mondo Kim's on St. Mark's Place is great for DVDs. They sell more obscure items that might be missing at a larger chain store:

http://www.kimsvideo.com/locations.htm

Do you recall which part of Avenue of the Americas you dined at? It's a pretty long street, so it would be easier to help you if you recalled nearby landmarks.

czsz
May 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Avenue of the Americas? If you're here and ask anyone for directions, do yourself a favour and say "Sixth Ave".

I second Kim's. It has other locations too, on Bleecker in the Village and on Broadway around 113th.

RandySavage
May 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM
The best diner in the City is hole in the wall called "La Bonbonniere." It's in the Far West Village. It's got unbelievable burgers and famous pancakes. A lot of celebs eat there.

If you want to buy DVDs two weeks before their actual release date, then go to any of the seedy DVD stores on 8th ave and 46th street. Otherwise, stick with the Virgin Megastore in Union Square. You could buy DVDs at the Time Warner Center's Borders, as well. There, you'll get a great view of Central Park and Columbus Circle.

czsz
May 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM
You could also get cheap bootlegs anywhere on the street in Chinatown, on the touristy parts of 5th Ave in Midtown, or on 125th St in Harlem. The price is usually great ($5 or so) but the quality can be a bit rough, and there can be annoying Chinese subtitles (or in one case, English subtitles from a different movie!)

Ollie G
May 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I really appreciate it! I'm doing some more research into my acres of paperwork, for the 6th Avenue Diner. Will definitly check out Mondo Kims. Will let you know if I find out more. Thanks :)

You could also get cheap bootlegs anywhere on the street in Chinatown, on the touristy parts of 5th Ave in Midtown, or on 125th St in Harlem. The price is usually great ($5 or so) but the quality can be a bit rough, and there can be annoying Chinese subtitles (or in one case, English subtitles from a different movie!)

Thanks, but not into bootlegs, USA (compared to UK) has much better DVD's then us and I would prefer to get those, especially with my list, the most modern will be the TV series Mystery Science Theatre 3000, with the oldest being 1932!