PDA

View Full Version : best way to get from NJ to NY and back during weekends, getting back 3-4am

MikeKruger
May 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I have a car, but I don't know if it wouldn't be cheaper to take a form of mass transit, because of tolls (I am close to GWB and Lincoln Tunnel) and parking hassles in Manhattan.
However, the buses don't run late at night, I mean around 3-4 when I usually get back from clubbing.I know of the Path train, but, is it easy to find parking in Hoboken to leave my car there (I am not a resident of Hoboken).
Any other ideas?
Thanks!

krulltime
May 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Hi there,

Well I live in manhattan and I dont know much of Hoboken... but when my friends come to party in the city on weekends some of them drive. Now I found this parking garage on West End Avenue and 62nd Street.

As far as I know they were chargin about $8 for 12 hours about 2 months ago when I went with friend there to pick up his car. (I also notice the same price for a year, so I hope the price hasn't change)

Now the good thing about this parking garage is that it is underground and is under a new building. It is also well secure.

But it is an area that is far away from a train station. The closest train will be 72nd stop. You can take the 1, 2 and 3 trains. Or you can get a taxi. (if it is more than 2 people on the taxi then your not paying alot)

Also the area can be of concern since it is very deserted at night because the neighborhood is new and is close to a small scale of low income housing.

But I dont worry too much about that if i am watching my surroundings and if you are with friends around 3 am in the morning.

Ok I have talk too much... hope it gives you and others an alternative to parking in the city.

Good luck!

MikeKruger
May 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
thanks that's a good tip. Seems like pretty cheap parking, but , like you said, it seems a bit out of the way.

Schadenfrau
May 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
You could always take public transportation to a transit hub before you go out, then take it back to Jersey and catch a cab home. It beats drunk driving, that's for sure.

MikeKruger
June 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
thought of that.
however, I don't like waiting for cabs. besides, I don't drink much.

I might try to drive into Manhattan and then park on the street.
Any recommended areas where I could find easy parking for free? Are there any streetside parking rules?

Schadenfrau
June 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
You're definitely not going to find any street parking anywhere near a club on a weekend.

MikeKruger
June 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
you're right. I guess I will have to take the PATH from somewhere. Last time I parked in Hoboken ($20!!!!), then took the PATH ($3 roundtrip) and subway ($4 roundtrip) which makes $27 just to get where I wanted and back to my car. Parking in a garage wasn't a waste of money, because in the morning I realized I had left my flightbag in the car, and all the stuff I had there would easily have cost me $300 to replace if stolen. Never again lol.

I understand in Jersey City might be easier to park on the street, but I don't know their rules and don't want to chance it.

Taking a cab on the way back would probably cost more: $2.90 to get to thebus station on 42nd, $4 subway roundtrip, $1.50 path and then the cab which from Hoboken or Jersey City to where I live would be more than $40.

When my lease expires, I am definitely moving closer to the river :P