PDA

View Full Version : School project

Miss Liberty
May 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Hi!

Some months ago I was searching for people who'd like to join my school project. I wanted you to be involved in my project about immigrants (I guess no one remembers). I changed my topic and next week I'm going to fly to the City.
I want to make a report about Jews in New York. Their situation, customs and history. I'm searching for people who want to tell me their story about their life as a Jew. I'm really interested in that culture with all of its traditions and history. For me it's fascinating.
My project is supposed to be a look at Jewish life nowadays and in the past and it is connected with a portrait of New York. I want to link these two issues to an interesting collection of facts, figures, pictures, etc.
So everyone is welcome to join this. No matter what you want to tell me, show me or suggest me (I'm also searching for something kinda like a Jewish community center at the Westside I can visit while I'm in the City) - I'll be waiting for it.
To make sure: This is no stupid joke or something strange. I'm no crazy freak or something like that :). It is a serious project I'm going to introduce to a jury at school. If you don't want I won't use your real name. It's just that I need some interesting stories (can also be sad ones). And you don't need to tell them here. You can send me a PM or you can mail me.
I hope that I motivated you a little bit and I'm looking forward to your response!

Missy

Gulcrapek
May 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
What about a Jew who's more Jewnostic?

czsz
May 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
There's a Jewish Community Center in the 60s or maybe 70s on either Columbus or Amsterdam Avenues.

Also, you might want to check out Zabar's on Broadway, a shopping mecca for Jews and others alike.

Don't forget, of course, the Hasidic communities in Brooklyn.

Jasonik
May 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Check out this thread. (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2902) There are some good links for you regarding Lower East Side history.

The Jewish Community Center (http://www.jccnyc.org/)now has jersey barriers all around it at the curb, I'm assuming to protect from vehicular terrorists.

Miss Liberty
May 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM
What about a Jew who's more Jewnostic?

I'm pretty sorry but I don't know what Jewnostic means (I'm not quite into these special vocabulary and my dicitonary didn't know an answer)! I know it's ashaming but it'd be nice if you could explain it or find a similar word for it. I'm sorry :) !

Thanks for the suggestions! They've been quite helpful.
Do you know whether I'm allowed to visit a synagogue although I'm no Jew? I'm not quite sure but it's my great wish to be a visitor at a Jewish service.

Gulcrapek
May 13th, 2005, 02:55 PM
That's ok, Jewnostic isn't a real word... it's a combo of Jew and agnostic, as in I'm technically Jewish and do some of the stuff I'm 'supposed to' but really know that I don't and never will know who/what God is and how to correctly worship it.

Jasonik
May 13th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Don't you mean G_d? ;)

Miss Liberty
May 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
That's ok, Jewnostic isn't a real word... it's a combo of Jew and agnostic, as in I'm technically Jewish and do some of the stuff I'm 'supposed to' but really know that I don't and never will know who/what God is and how to correctly worship it.

Thanks! I'm not unable to understand English (as you can see) but I have some problems with these word creations :) .
Concerning your question: Of course, you're also welcome to join my project, even if you're not sure whether God is or whether he exists or not. I'm searching for all types of Jews.
If you'd like to join my project I'd contact you in two weeks (when I return from my trip to N.Y.). Just tell me if you're interested.