PDA

View Full Version : From Howard Beach to Greenwich Village - how long?

anitka43
May 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Hello!

I am going to spend the summer in NYC and I ' ve found an apartment in Howard Beach that I would like to rent.
My friend that will live with me will work in Greenwich Village and she wants to know how much will it take to get from Howard Beach to Greenwich Village.
I know she can use the A-line, but how long approximately will it take?
I'm hoping for quick response, because we have to answer to the landlord whether or not we want the place.
If you could also tell us a little about Howard Beach, we would really appreciate it :)

ManhattanKnight
May 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
About 40-45 minutes. You'll find the complete schedule for the A train here:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf

The schedule omits most stations but does include JFK Airport/Howard Beach and West 4th Street (in the heart of the Village).

anitka43
May 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Oh, I already have the schedule but I don't understand a thing from it :confused:
I'm not from United States and in my country the subway schedule is much more simpler, because we have only one line in our country in our capital city :D
So if you could tell me how to use it..:o Or if you checked it for me :o

ManhattanKnight
May 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
The schedule is divided into 2 parts: (1) northbound (from Queens to Manhattan) and (2) southbound (from Manhattan to Queens) and shows the time that each train leaves JFK/Howard Beach and arrives at West 4th St. (and vice versa).

anitka43
May 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Ok, I think I've got it :D It's about 45 minutes.
But how far is it from 4th West Street to West 9th Street?

ManhattanKnight
May 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Ok, I think I've got it :D It's about 45 minutes.
But how far is it from 4th West Street to West 9th Street?

The southern entrance of the West 4th Street station is at 6th Avenue and West 4th Street; the northern entrance is a half-block south of West 8th Street. That's 1 1/2 blocks south of West 9th Street.

anitka43
May 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Oh, that sounds like not far away. That's great :)
My only problem right now is the fact that she thinks that 60 minutes to work is a lot. Is it? We don't know what is the average time to get to work in New York.
And I really love the apartment :D Keep your fingers crossed that I can convince her ;)
Oh, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

NewYorkYankee
May 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
May I ask what city, country you currently live in?

anitka43
May 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, sure - I live in Warsaw in Poland - it's a great city and a great country :)
I love my country :D
But they should really speed up the subway thing - there's only one line going from south of Warsaw (where I live in the best district of Warsaw, well at least to me ;) ) to the north. They finish a new station each year, but still the development of Polish subway is really not satisfactory - come on, there's only one line in a 40mln people country! :rolleyes: They're planning the second line from east to the west of Warsaw, but they don't know which way to build it - as there is a river from south to the north of Warsaw and they can't decide whether they should build it under the water or find another way.
Ok, enough about the subway ;) It's not like subway is the most important thing for commuters, there are other ways, right? :cool:
Now I'm waiting for posts that say that 1h is not long to get to work in New York :) Because in Warsaw it would be rather long, although it could still be worse:D

czsz
May 22nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
An hour commute is rather average, I believe.