PDA

View Full Version : The Hamptons

filmaker
May 25th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I am wondering where the "in" place is in the Hamptons. If money was no object and I wanted to buy a home, what area is the best?

When people say they are going to the the Hamptons; are they going everywhere in the area- or is there one place they all migrate?

RedFerrari360f1
May 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
The Hamptons is three citie/towns, West Hampton South Hampton and East Hampton. Each has its own stereotypes and own mini DTs and such. Among the more presitgous adresses would be Dune Road. Its houses are on the water and are quite spectacular. In my opinion the Hamptons arent what they once were... used to be secluded communites of wealth and now you have people from NYC banding in groups of 20 to pay to rent a "cottage" (10ksq+) house. Not that Im a snob but its not the same, good bad or indiffrent. But dont kid yourself the wealth is extreme. As for places people migrate to, it depends. Old money retreat to their long established Golf Clubs and the like. The best ones are Shinecock and National and a few others. The new money rolls in on the weekend and can be seen in the club scence which there is quite an exstensive one for little divas and the like.

RedFerrari360f1
May 25th, 2005, 09:10 PM
A few other towns to look into are: Amagansett, Bridgehampton, Hampton Bays, Montauk (which is the farthest you can go on LI made famous by the Light House GW commisioned out there, rough beaches though). LI is really a cool place, tons of history and the setting to some cool places. Though not on the Atlantic like the Hamptons a few places on the North Shore (LI Sound) are pretty neat. Take the fictional home of Jay Gatsby in West Egg (new money) and Tom and Daisy lived in the more fashionable East Egg aka old money. Even though Gatsbys house in the movie was a mansion in Newport RI...

RedFerrari360f1
May 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Heres a good shot of I *think* maybe Calvin Kleins house on Dune Road in South Hampton....

http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/stu/jlightst/images/LIaerial/Liaerial020.JPG