PDA

View Full Version : Funfairs in NY?

spookyneo
May 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Hi, I'm new in this forum, I'm writting a book that that's place in NY, and there is a funfairy (not too big) with at least rollercoasters, a ferris wheel. It has to be as close at possible of Central Park. Does it at least exists??? Thanks for your answers! ;)

Schadenfrau
May 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
There's nothing like that in Manhattan. Really, you should write what you know. Stories turn out better that way, for the most part.

RedFerrari360f1
May 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Make up a thrill rides park! And put it on Roosevelt island, just a bridge walk and a few blocks away from the park!

spookyneo
May 27th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Actually, it's already been written, so now, I have to find the place that matches! That's why there has to be rollercoasters and a ferris wheel, and has to be close enough to some typical new-york apartments (like the one in panic room) for the character to walk between the funfair and his apartment. Any idea about such a place? (please excuse my english)

spookyneo
May 27th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Actually, first, to find this funfair, I have to know where I can have streets like the one in "panic room" (west 83th street in manhattan, but i'm not 100% sure), with theses apartments with (I don't know how you call it) thoses few stairs you have to climb to come in... These kind of apartments are only in manhattan? If no, where else?

spookyneo
May 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Well, actually, "Panic room" is a movie starring Jodie Foster... And I'm not talking about a stoop, but just stairs (4 or 5) between the sidewalk and the doorstep. I know Manhattan is full of streets like these, but is this the only place in New York? Anyone?

spookyneo
May 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Yes, these are the kind of stairs i'm talking about...

http://www.hosthomesofboston.com/gallery2/images/onthepark.jpg

http://www.citidex.com/pictures/buildings/others/townhouses.gif

In which part of NY do we find these? (or something close as the 1st picture is from Boston)

Schadenfrau
May 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
That sort of apartment building is very typical for most large cities in Northeastern America.

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Ok, this is going to make things easier if this kind of apartments is all over NY... Now, I have to find the funfair: it doesn't have to be large, as long as it has rollercoasters (even small ones) and a ferris whell (even a small one), as close as possible of the kind of apartments above, and if possible of Manhattan too). Someone?

Edward
May 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Indeed, let's put our minds together, perhaps we did not notice a ferris wheel in Mahnattan. You know, we New Yorkers are so busy, sometimes we do not pay attention to these things.

Another possibility is that the ferris wheel is very small, something like knee-high.

Edward
May 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Excellent, I knew we could help this writer. The ferris wheel is in Times Square. In the picture below - on the left.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/times_square/toys_r_us/toys_r_us_walkway.jpg

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Ok, I got it, no Ferris wheel in Manhattan :o...

But you guys must have one somewhere in NY... Which one is the closest to Manhattan?

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Wonder Wheel, its at Coney Island in Brooklyn.

http://www.wonderwheel.com/images/rides/wonderwheel.jpg

Excellent! Thank you very much!! Do you know the name of this funfair?

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Thank you, but it seems to be a little too far from Manhattan... Looking at a map, I'd say about 10 miles, right?

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Ok, it might not be a good idea... Well, forget about the Ferris wheel, what's the closest funfair to Manhattan?

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, I'm talking about amusment park, my dictionary says "funfair" for the translation of the french word, but I don't know if this word is the common-used one by you, guys... It says also "carnivale", but it sounds kinda old, "amusment park" sounds good. Anyway, I think that I'll take the Deno's wonder wheel amusment park for my book, and they'll use a car between upper east side and coney island (as you said that brooklyn is not sure at night). Thanks very much for your help!!

spookyneo
May 28th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Allright, if anyone knows about any amusement park close to upper east or west side, I'm buying! ;)

NewYorkYankee
May 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM
How about the Childrens "FUNFair" that sets up on Wollman Rink in Central Park every summer I know its for kids, but for a book it could be adjusted. Just an idea. Anyone know the website? Or have pics?

macreator
May 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I don't think any funfairs exist in Manhattan -- I think I would have found it when I was growing up ;)

What you could do though is mention your character going to a ferris wheel at a street fair. Every once and a while on a weekend afternoon a streetfair is set up on an avenue in Manhattan. Often times a small ferris wheel and maybe a small ride is set-up as well.

You could have your character simply leave his/her dwelling on the Upper West side and find him/herself on Columbus Avenue or some other local street where a street fair is in progress. Typically the Manhattan street fairs with rides are set-up in Hell's Kitchen or Harlem from what I've seen but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have one on the Upper West Side. It is a book afterall.

spookyneo
May 31st, 2005, 05:11 AM
I don't think any funfairs exist in Manhattan -- I think I would have found it when I was growing up ;)

What you could do though is mention your character going to a ferris wheel at a street fair. Every once and a while on a weekend afternoon a streetfair is set up on an avenue in Manhattan. Often times a small ferris wheel and maybe a small ride is set-up as well.

You could have your character simply leave his/her dwelling on the Upper West side and find him/herself on Columbus Avenue or some other local street where a street fair is in progress. Typically the Manhattan street fairs with rides are set-up in Hell's Kitchen or Harlem from what I've seen but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have one on the Upper West Side. It is a book afterall.

Ok, I'm quite interested by these "street funfair"... Could you tell me more about it? How big are they? They are from Saturday to Sunday? Any chance it could start on a Friday or last till Monday? You say that some have small ferris wheel and small rollercoasters? How small?

For NY Yankee, I found this about this summer "Children Funfair":
http://www.friendsofdagnampark.org.uk/central%20park%202004.htm
but I don't know if I'll do...

Schadenfrau
May 31st, 2005, 10:40 AM
You certainly won't find a rollercoaster (even a small one) at a street fair.

The only amusement park anywhere near Manhattan is Coney Island.

spookyneo
May 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Ok, so what do you find on a street fair?

Schadenfrau
May 31st, 2005, 01:51 PM
This is the largest NYC street fair:

http://www.sangennaro.org/

The fairs will generally have lots of fried food, a few arcade games and booths for vendors selling things like hemp necklaces.

NYatKNIGHT
June 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM
How about the Childrens "FUNFair" that sets up on Wollman Rink in Central Park every summer I know its for kids, but for a book it could be adjusted. Just an idea. Anyone know the website? Or have pics?He's right, there is a fair there. It definitely has rides, maybe even a mini-coaster. That's not too far from the Panic Room type apartments you find uptown.

Schadenfrau
June 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Here's a link. It does look pretty child-centric:

http://www.victoriangardensnyc.com/

spookyneo
June 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Ok, thanks everybody for your help.
Actually, it needs to have some shooting range, etc... so this children fair seems to be kinda limited... I'll go with Coney Island, which seems to be quite a large one. One last question: would you take a cab to go from Coney Island to Upper West Side around 6:00 PM or 9:00 PM? It may seems stupid but I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something to make it work.

NewYorkYankee
June 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Sure, you can take a cab anywhere in NYC.

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Coney Island is really too long of a trip to take a cab.

What sort of person is the character in this story, Spookyneo? Owning a car in Manhattan is pretty much limited to the wealthy. Everyone else would be taking the subway to Coney Island.

spookyneo
June 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
That's the kind of things I was afraid of: it seems that Coney Island is too far away from Upper West Side to go there with a cab... The character is a doctor, so he's quite wealthy. I don't see him taking the subway, it's gotta be a car of a cab, but I think I'll go with the car...

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
If he's too wealthy to take the subway, I seriously doubt this guy would be hanging out with the hoi polloi in Coney Island.

Is a fair really that integral to the plot?

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
If a fair really is that important, you should probably use Rye Playland instead. It's 30 miles upstate, but it's more likely that someone would drive there than Coney Island:

http://www.ryeplayland.org/

spookyneo
June 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
It's not that he is too wealthy to go to an amusmement park... Imagine him deciding to go to a funfair around 5:30 PM when he is in Manhattan... Where would you go? I think Coney Island is a pretty good choice... and I don't understand why only the wealthy can have a car in manhattan?!! If you live 30 miles away from NY, how do you go to work??

ryan
June 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Spookeyneo- if you're writing fiction, you'd probably be better off if you let go of real-world details, unless you plan to move here and do a lot of research. New York has a specific culture, and all cultures have rules (like only rich/silly people spend the huge amount of money and/or effort to keep a car in manhattan). So instead of trying to learn all those rules through the internet, let your preconceptions about New York guide you. You could call your city something else so you don't have to worry about detail (like gotham) or call it New York, and enjoy fictionalizing it.

To answer your questions, rich people who live outside manhattan usually take commuter trains into the city, and while I'm sure some weathly people go to street fairs, they are mostly working class.

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Most people take public transportation to and from work. If you're driving a car in Manhattan, you're probably going to have to park in a parking garage, which is pretty expensive.

It would take well over an hour to get from the Upper West Side to Coney Island on the subway.

I don't mean to be rude, but I do wonder why you chose to write a story about an city you seem unfamiliar with.

Schadenfrau
June 2nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Jinx, Ryan. You said it much better than I did.

spookyneo
June 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Well, actually, as I said it earlier, I wrote the main story, without carring about the details, just the story, without names of places or streets. Now that it's finished, I just want to bring some details, not a lot, just the minimum to make more "authentic", and I didn't know it would be so complicated... I could have picked a different city, but as I never step foot on the US, it would be the same problem... I hope you'll get my point

ryan
June 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
If you're writing for a non-new york audience, you'll be fine - just throw street names in - that happens all the time. The details will only be distracting to ny-ers like us that like to nit pick...

spookyneo
June 3rd, 2005, 06:04 AM
If you're writing for a non-new york audience, you'll be fine - just throw street names in - that happens all the time. The details will only be distracting to ny-ers like us that like to nit pick...

Thank you, that's what I thought...
I have another question: If you want to take a coffee around a table and talk with a friend in Manhattan, where would you go? Starbucks?

Schadenfrau
June 3rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Please, just make up a name.

spookyneo
June 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Why's that?? What's wrong with Starbucks?

ryan
June 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Why's that?? What's wrong with Starbucks?

You've got to post your story here when you're done so we can all read it - at least give us a link to it...

A lot of people avoid starbucks because it's a souless, tacky chain that sells mediocre coffee at high prices. The massive oversaturation of starbucks throughout the city makes me suspect more people go to starbucks regularly than hate it, but nevertheless starbucks patronage does inform you about a person's ideological bent...

Just use "coffee shop"

ManhattanKnight
June 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
If you want to take a coffee around a table and talk with a friend in Manhattan, where would you go? Starbucks?

Nope.

http://www.jacksstirbrew.com/

spookyneo
June 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks very much for these advices!!