PDA

View Full Version : Good Midtown Hotels

Law & Order
June 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM
What are some good hotels in the Midtown New York area? When I go to a hotel I dont care if the room is big or if the hotel is in the best area, I just want it to be clean. Can you guys, and people who have visited and stayed in some hotels in New York make a suggestion and list the good parts and bad parts? The price is not a huge option either.

Hopefully this list will be at least 10 pages long. If your viewing this page as a guest and you have a hotel experience feel free to join.

pianoman11686
June 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I stayed at the InterContinental Barclay recently. I found it to be very clean and comfortable, and although it'll run you close to 300/night, that's pretty average for a four-star, Manhattan hotel. Although big, it had that small-hotel feel. Great location, too: 48th, between Park and Lexington. Other recommendations: The Grand Hyatt, next to Grand Central, and the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in Times Square. Both are good choices when you want a good quality hotel, nothing too extravagant, and with a good price (at least relative to other New York hotels). Doing an Expedia search is also a good idea. Good luck.

GK55
June 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I recently stayed in the Edison hotel and found it to be an excellent choice. I forget how much it was per night but i know it wasnt too expensive....when i return i'll be staying there again for sure.

Schadenfrau
June 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I like the W Hotels.

BrooklynRider
June 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Royalton on West 43rd is good. Paramount on West 47th. I'll second the vote for the W (on the East Side). There's Marriott Courtyard on 41st Street. Sofitel on 43rd. Novotel on 53rd. Righa Royale on W.54th.

BrooklynRider
June 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks, does anyone know about the Essex hotel? I can get a night there for something like 250/night right now. I know the location and the looks, but what about the rooms? We stayed at the Plaza for one night in a geustroom, it wasnt worth $300. it was dark, dirty, worn and needed remolding very badly. So the name doesnt make it good.

Essex House on CPS is a Westin. It is a New York landmark. The opulent St. Regis Club is on the top portion.

Mandarin Oriental just opened recently in Time Warner Center.

pianoman11686
June 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
The St. Regis Hotel is on Fifth Avenue, yes. It recently celebrated 100 years in existence. The St. Regis Club, however, is on Central Park South. It's probably the most exclusive private club in the city, and I believe it's been around since the early days of the original St. Regis Hotel. That hotel has now become its own brand as part of Starwood, with hotels in several world-class cities, claiming to be the cream of the crop.

ablarc
June 25th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Law and Order, note that the Beacon Hotel's the lowest-priced hotel on your list by quite a margin. I would stay there over most of the rest on your list if the prices were all the same. The Beacon has it all: location, nice rooms, friendly staff, subway access, Fairway supermarket across the street, kitchenettes in every room. Best of all: it's in a real New York neighborhood (and one of the best, at that) that will remind you of Paris, and only one express stop from Times Square.

lofter1
June 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The best subway stop for the Beacon is 72nd St. (It's an express station -- 79th is just local trains).

If you're coming in to NYC February don't judge hotels by the listed December rates -- they always go way up for the holidays.

Feb. is propably one of the slower months of the year -- so rates should be lower and deals might be available.

ablarc
June 25th, 2005, 02:43 PM
72nd Street

pianoman11686
June 26th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Law & Order: I probably would have suggested the Grand Hyatt at first, but based on what you wanna see, I think the Beacon is your best option. I was up in the area a little while ago, and it really is a great place to be in. You'll get the feeling of what a typical Upper West Side neighborhood is like in New York. The 72nd Street station will give you easy, quick access to a lot of what you want to see. You can use the 1 (local) or 2/3 (express). Columbus Circle is one stop away, Bryant Park is two stops away by express plus one block of walking. Also, you'll be only two blocks away from Central Park and some of the most historic buildings along Central Park West (the Dakota, the San Remo, the Beresford). In addition, you should check out the Ansonia, on Broadway and 73rd. I think it used to be a hotel but is now private residential. Nonetheless, it's one of the most beautiful old buildings in the entire city. Now, this is just my suggestion and you should certainly visit what you want, when you want, but if you're only going to be in Manhattan for a day, I suggest taking in Columbus Circle, and exploring the areas of interest north of Central Park South. Save Midtown, Downtown, and the boroughs for other days. This way, you can see the Upper East Side, which is a short bus ride away on the crosstown M72. You can visit the Museum of Natural History, the Met, and the Guggenheim, all of which border Central Park. And of course, there's so much to explore in Central Park itself - Belvedere Castle, the Pond, the Bethesda Fountain, etc. Then there's the Lincoln Center only 6 blocks to the south of you, on 66th & Broadway...I can go on and on. But now that I really think about it, the Beacon is a great place to explore the Upper West, the Upper East Side, and the park in the middle.

pianoman11686
June 26th, 2005, 12:46 AM
The difference between local and express is just what you would think. A local subway stops at every station along the line. An express subway only stops at the major stations. The express subways are a great way to get from one end of Manhattan to the other in a really short time span. The MTA Subway plan has a legend that lets you know which stations accommodate both express and local subways. There is no such thing as an express-only stop. A good way to predict whether an express stops at a station is just to look at the street it stops on. For example, Columbus Circle, which is on 59th street, has express stops for the A, the D, and the 2/3. The other stations on 59th (at 5th and Lexington) are also express stops for their respective lines, simply because 59th is a major street. Same goes for all stations on 42nd, some on 34th, 14th, etc. I don't really know why 72nd is an express stop for the 2/3, but I guess they just had to put one up there at some point.

Ollie G
June 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Next week I'm staying in The Iroquois Hotel on West 44th http://www.iroquoisny.com/ I haven't stayed there before but It's had many fabulous reviews and they have been marvelous in arranging transport for me from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. I've been looking forward to this trip since I was last in NY, almost a year ago!

lofter1
June 29th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Next week I'm staying in The Iroquois Hotel on West 44th

That block (44th between 5th & 6th) has some terrific hotels: The Algonquin & The Royalton.

Right down the block is the New York Yacht Club (unfortunately entry to the Club is allowed for members & guests only). Make sure you look up into the 2nd Floor windows of the Club: That room is the boat model room (members would have a model of their boat built - hundreds are displayed there). It has a huge incredible Tiffany skylight that you can see from the street.

The Yacht Club website has terrific panaromic virtual tours of the 44th St. Club House.

http://nyyc.org/index.cfm?menu=12&openitem=12

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID065.htm

http://nyyc.org/gui/nemex_yc888/pageimages/44th%20street/ACF7B1.jpg

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/065-Yacht.jpg

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/Midtown064.jpg

peyi123
July 7th, 2005, 02:56 AM
I always recommend the small hotels to my friends and family. The usuals are:

Hotel 31

Hotel Moderne

Hotel Giraffe

Park South Hotel

pianoman11686
July 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Never stayed there, although I'm pretty sure it's 118 East 40th Street, between Park and Lex.

ablarc
July 23rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Cosmopolitan Hotel TriBeCa: Budget prices, super clean, great location in a hip neighborhood, near Ground Zero and Battery Park City, and right at most major subway lines (Chambers Street). West Broadway at Chambers.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93351-Reviews-Cosmopolitan_Hotel_Tribeca-New_York_City_New_York.html

NewYorkYankee
July 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
We just stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel on 45th and Madison. It was great! The price was superb! It was much cheaper than the other 4 star hotels. It was amazing inside, the lobby was breathtaking! (BPC you were right!) The rooms were big and clean! We will stay no where else in NY! Well, I wont becuase Im moving in 5 weeks! (Big smile!)

NewYorkYankee
July 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I have no clue, visit their website. Do a search for "Roosevelt Hotel New York". We took a cab from LGA in, so we didnt park.

pianoman11686
July 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM
For a hotel like that in Midtown, I would guess 40-45 dollars per day. That's for valet, of course. I think it would be pretty easy to find a regular parking garage for around 25-30 dollars a few blocks away.

BrooklynRider
July 25th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Four years ago, the Marriott Marquis was charging $60/day.