PDA

View Full Version : The "Livery" Cabs

NewYorkYankee
June 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I believe the name for these are "LIvery Cabs", the black Town Cars? Well, when I come for my orientation in July I want to take one of these to and from the airport. I was going to use the airtrain and subway but with luggage, its a pain. Anyways, when arriving at the airport how do you know which car is yours? (Theyre everywhere!) and does the driver load your luggage into the trunk and open your door FOR YOU? I didnt want to expect that and they dont do it. LOL Gracias Amigos! :)

czsz
June 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM
The interior is somewhat nicer than a cab's, but in my opinion the extra cost won't justify it. Usually in any cab line (like those at airports or at train stations) there's some sort of attendant who will help put your luggage into cab trunks, but I often wonder who they work for and whether they expect a tip (I've yet to tip them). In fact, if I don't have a lot of luggage I'm fine with an express bus from LaGuardia.

Don't get scammed coming out of the airport by drivers claiming they'll charge the same rates as a taxi; after taxes, toll, and tip, you'll come out worse off than if you'd taken a yellow cab.

NYatKNIGHT
June 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Plus, if the car breaks down, too bad. Someone told me this happened to them and they had to get out on the highway with their luggage and find their own way back. They have no responsibility to you whatsoever.

NewYorkYankee
June 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
So you all dont rec. I take one from and to the airports? Hmm...I didnt want to take the train or bus since I have the luggage. But, I dunno.

NYatKNIGHT
June 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Use a yellow cab or hop on a shuttle.

NewYorkYankee
June 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
THANKS EVERYONE! :) We'll prob just flag down a yellow one at the Terminal. :) Anyone ever take a yellow cab from say midtown to JFK? what are the rates? Is the ride pretty scenic along the way to and from midtown?

ryan
June 9th, 2005, 10:48 PM
"Cars" as opposed to cabs are nicer and more expensive, period. When I work late I get a car service home, and that's the only time I feel they are worth it - because someone else gets the bill. The driver is more professional - drives better, doesn't talk on their phone, knows how to get around - and the car is cleaner and more comfortable. I can't flag a cab down in my neighborhood, so I have to use a car service to get to the airport, and it costs twice as much as a cab (which you can just get at the airport).

I live in Brooklyn, so I can't tell you how much a cab is, but I want to say it's more like $50 than $40, which makes more sense if you have more people with you. If you do some research online you might find a service that's comparable to a cab, or you can take the airport bus (http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/travel/airporttravel.htm), which is more like $15(?) and goes to grand central and certain hotels. It's like a greyhound bus kind of, so if it goes where you want to be, luggage would be ok. Take a look at this New York Magazine guide (http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/travel/airporttravel.htm) for more info...

NewYorkYankee
June 11th, 2005, 11:48 PM
To/From Newark is truly out of this world. Thats ridiculous. But, my father and I have decided just to hop a taxi. Its easier and Im too lazy to fool with my luggage on the subway.