PDA

View Full Version : Coming to see NYC!

tattooyu
June 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM
My mother, wife and I are coming to visit New York for a week in October. We are all very excited. We have two friends and two relatives there that we can see and contact.

The place we are staying is a vacation rental (private residence) located between 49th & 50th streets between 8th and 9th avenue in a high-rise. I've heard that it's a pretty good location, although to the west can get sketchy.

What do you guys think about that area?

Edward
June 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
The only two buildings on this block are 1 Worldwide Plaza (office) and 2 Worldwide Plaza (residential).

Close to Times Square, Broadway theaters, and Central Park.

tattooyu
June 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I think the building we are in is in the 300 block of 50th St. What is that area like?

ManhattanKnight
June 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I think the building we are in is in the 300 block of 50th St. What is that area like?

Take a look for yourself -- The WiredNewYork Webcams 1 and 2 are both located in 2 Worldwide Plaza and offer views to the west and north.

ASchwarz
June 14th, 2005, 05:39 PM
The area to the west of your place is by no means sketchy. In fact, Ninth Avenue appears nicer to me than Eighth Avenue, though they're extremely different. I guarantee the restaurants are much better to the west than to the east. There are no "bad" areas in the general vicinity.

NYatKNIGHT
June 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Nice neighborhood, but I'd say I've seen slightly more than the normal amount of sketchy characters on the streets around there. Not dangerous though.

macreator
June 15th, 2005, 09:50 PM
The area around WorldWidePlaza is pretty nice nowadays and getting nicer by the minute. The Worldwide Plaza block itself is beautifully landscaped and there are some good shops and such on the block itself. The neighborhood around the block has accumulated a lot of great chic restaurants and shops in recent years with a lot of nice older stuff still around. In terms of getting around it is pretty convienent. While I deem the neighborhood to be safe for sure, you may encounter a few "shifty" looking characters if you head past 9th avenue maybe getting towards night but for the most part they are pretty harmless and up to late dusk I wouldn't be nervious at all. I wouldn't worry about things too much. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

czsz
June 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the area, primarily for aesthetic reasons. Generally, the avenues are too broad and buildings slung too low. Plan to spend significant time away from it during the day (though insofar as nights go there are some decent restaurants in the vicinity, and the theatres are nearby). Above all take it by no means as representative of New York.

ASchwarz
June 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM
What do you consider a "bad" area?

I certainly don't consider anywhere in Midtown or Clinton a "bad" area. The West 40's and West 50's are extremely expensive neighborhoods and are about as intimidating as Disney World.

Parts of the South Bronx, Brownsville, East New York and the northern reaches of Bed Stuy are still "bad". Parts of Newark and Jersey City are even worse.

AmeriKenArtist
June 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
tattoo, you can get the E train outside your door, whenever you decide to travel to other neighborhoods!

NY_Yankees_1979
June 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
My mother, wife and I are coming to visit New York for a week in October. We are all very excited. We have two friends and two relatives there that we can see and contact.

The place we are staying is a vacation rental (private residence) located between 49th & 50th streets between 8th and 9th avenue in a high-rise. I've heard that it's a pretty good location, although to the west can get sketchy.

What do you guys think about that area? It's a pretty nice area..your about 9-10 blocks from Central Park..Times Square is within walking distance..you'll be in the middle of everything..enjoy your time in the big city.

jiw40
June 27th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Didn't they recently convert the movie theaters in that complex to live performance theaters?Thought I remembered reading that.

lofter1
June 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Didn't they recently convert the movie theaters in that complex to live performance theaters?

You're right -- The former Cineplex Odeon now houses Dodger Stages, and has a number of off-broadway size theaters (499 seats or less at this venue) as well as rehearsal spaces. There are currently four different shows running:

http://www.dodgerstages.com/