PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Spam Devices For Small Business

BrooklynRider
June 15th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hello Friends-

I recently started a new job with a small business and we are getting inundated by spam and Trojan Horse viruses. Someone asked me if I'd look into anti-spam software / devices.

Any tech oriented folks who can make a recommendation?

ZippyTheChimp
June 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Unless someone gives you something specific, start researching. (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=anti+spam+software+for+business)

NoyokA
June 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Rider I have and use the following programs:

"Hijack This"

"Spybot Search and Destroy"

"Adaware SE Personal"

"CWShredder"

I also use mozilla-firefox as my web browser.

Ninjahedge
June 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

It's in beta form. It gives you direct links to the Microsoft website where you can download the patch.

Very cool! I suggest people pop in and check it out!

I don't like that it labels cookies as "spwyare programs" though....

-As taken from a post on another site....

I do recommend you check it out though. Also, look for a proggie called "Hijack This" and do some searches for sited where people offer help on what you find.

If you are getting a LOT of spam and popups, you are probably host to a bunch of proggies that are "helping" these things onto your computer.

Also try Grisoft AVG, free home use....

ZippyTheChimp
June 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Brooklyn Rider:

What I am reading reading here is personal software. Are you looking to protect a few individual PCs, or does this company have a network with servers, in which case it may be better and more cost effective to check out a product for business. All of the well known companies, such as Symantec and McAfee, have business solutions.

For my own PC: spywareblaster runs automatically and blocks spyware. I run SpyBot manually as a backup, but it has never detected anything since Spywareblaster was installed.

Norton Internet Security works really well for viruses and spam, but the program is rather intensive and slows down the computer somewhat.

Using Firefox as a browser is a good choice. Since it is only about 10% of the market, most of the morons target IE.

kmistic
June 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Is your Company using an in-house mail server ei. Exchange? If so, start by blocking spam at the server instead of your individual client machines. If your email comes from an outside hosting company contact them to see if they can help.