PDA

View Full Version : Which city do you think deserves the title of "second city" in the Metro Area?

TomAuch
June 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The Tri-state area is more than just NYC. It encompasses NY, NJ, and CT. Each state has some of its own cities within their area. Which one do you think deserves the title of "second city" and no, the outer boroughs do not count.

shocka
July 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
How about GardenCity Long Island. With the amount of shoping and new luxury rentals, plus office space this is the city of Long Island, as i feel.

TLOZ Link5
July 3rd, 2005, 08:07 PM
Jersey City and Hoboken, along with many of the cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson, could be construed as a western extension of Manhattan (I know JCMAN is going to flame me for this).

Stamford is slick and corporate.

White Plains is too small and too distant.

And I'm surprised that Yonkers isn't on the list.

Newark it is.

JCMAN320
July 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
LOL Tloz no I'm not it your very correct in your observation. Newark at one time when it was at its peak was New York's sister city. JC very well could be another borough along with the rest of the cities in Hudson County. If all the cities which are Jersey City, Bayonne, North Bergen, Hoboken, Union City, Guttenburg, West New York, Weehawkin, Secacus, Kearny, Harrison, and East Newark, were to combine to form one city, it would be a city of 635,000 people which would definately be considered another borough lol. So I know you rpoint of choosing Newark with its parks, airport, seaport, penn station, own subway, etc......, but I feel JC is the correct choice call em bias lol.

bkmonkey
July 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM
According to the federal government, and all the online enclyclopedias, the answer is Newark NJ. Its the second urban core in the metropolitian area

Ninjahedge
July 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Urban core, yes, but city, no.

I think JC is getting there. I also think the Condo Farms in Hoboken, Union and the rest are also in contension, but not by themselves.

I am just wondering if we will see, in my lifetime, further expansions INTO or ACROSS the river on either side......

I LOVE THE SOCCER
July 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Jersey City

NY_Yankees_1979
July 8th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Out of what is listed I would say Newark, but wheres Yonkers on the list?

JeffreyNYC
July 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Jersey City and Hoboken, along with many of the cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson, could be construed as a western extension of Manhattan (I know JCMAN is going to flame me for this).

Stamford is slick and corporate.

White Plains is too small and too distant.

And I'm surprised that Yonkers isn't on the list.

Newark it is.

Newark? While Newark "could be" the NYC. Metro's second city, it has completely missed the boat with the development of Jersey City.
I see Jersey City and Hoboken as New York's 6th borough. Their feeling is urban, they're connected to Manhattan and they offer alot for New Yorkers looking for lower prices but with the urban hipness of the city.

Jersey City and Hoboken are more New York than Staten Island! Now how ironic is that?

Schadenfrau
July 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM
White Plains. At least keep it in the same state.

Hoboken could be NYC's "second bedroom community," but it doesn't even qualify as a city.

ablarc
April 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Brooklyn

Population: 2,465,326
Land Area: 70.61 square miles
Density: 34,917

Hoboken is a small low-rise city consisting like Brooklyn mostly of row houses and medium-size apartment buildings. Not, however, NY metro's second city.

Population: 38,577
Area: 1.28 square miles
Density: 30,239

Boston

Population: 589,141
Area: 48.4 square miles
Density: 12,172

Marv95
April 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Newark is. Sorry, but a city with a population with over 200,000, two Fortune 500 companies (PSEG and Prudential), a Federal Building, one of the largest county parks in the region, the biggest transportation hub in the state and one of the biggest in the region, a baseball stadium, a performing arts center in which over 4 million people have attended, a soon-to-be arena with a 3-time Stanley Cup winner, an airport only a couple of miles from Downtown, its own seaport, 7 highways (including the Parkway that runs through and exits Vailsburg), 5 colleges (soon to be 6 with Berkeley coming later this fall), 2 major movie theatres, 4 hospitals, and a place that's only behind NYC and Hartford in the top insurance cities in the east deserves my vote, no matter how "less developed or gentrfied" it is.

injcsince81
April 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Newark is. Sorry, but a city with a population with over 200,000, two Fortune 500 companies (PSEG and Prudential), a Federal Building, one of the largest county parks in the region, the biggest transportation hub in the state and one of the biggest in the region, a baseball stadium, a performing arts center in which over 4 million people have attended, a soon-to-be arena with a 3-time Stanley Cup winner, an airport only a couple of miles from Downtown, its own seaport, 7 highways (including the Parkway that runs through and exits Vailsburg), 5 colleges (soon to be 6 with Berkeley coming later this fall), 2 major movie theatres, 4 hospitals, and a place that's only behind NYC and Hartford in the top insurance cities in the east deserves my vote, no matter how "less developed or gentrfied" it is.

As a JC resident, I agree with Marv95.

Newark, in terms of urban architecture is much more of a gem then JC.

Newark, like Philly, is a nice mix of old and new.

In the spirit if Urban Architecture, it's Newark, with JC close second.

JCMAN320
April 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM
JC extremely close. JC has beautiful architecture, some even better than Newark becuase our buildings weren't bunred out in the riots so more of our buildings are in great condition and still standing! People gotta go deep through Downtown and the rest of the city to see it and stop defining us just by our Downtown and realize the city spreads well beyond it.

Jake
April 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
You mean there's like people and buildings beyond Exchange Pl.????????!!!!!!!

I'm just teasing you lol :D

Alonzo-ny
April 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
7 highways .

you think this is good?

JCMAN320
April 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
JC deserves it. We are not like the rest of New Jersey which is heavily car cultured. In my post in JC Rising; "8.17% of Jersey City commuters walk to work, and 40.26% of Jersey City commuters take public transit to work. This is the second highest percentage of public transit riders of any 100,000+ city in the United States, behind only New York City and ahead of Washington, D.C.." Jersey City has a population of roughly about 250,000. We have the JSQ Transport Center with PATh, taxi, and extensive bus service coupled along with Hoboken Terminal right on the JC and HBKN border with having NJTransit trains, PATH, light rail, buses and ferries all going through and to JC. We have our own seaport it's called Port Jersey. We have a very similar urban feel to the rest of NYC. Hell we feel more a part of NYC than Staten Island is. We rely heavily on mass transit and the city is well connected through all parts weather by PATH, light rail, buses and taxis. We are also right across Newark Bay from EWR and we have the Turnpike Extension which connects us to the airport and takes us only about 10-20 mins to get there. We are only served by the Turnpike Extension which no homes had to be deplaced, unlike in Newark where 78, 280, and 1&9 had to take out alot of homes. The Turnpike Extension was genious because it was put high about the city and along an area where they're no homes. Also we have 440 on our Westside and 1&9 and thats it only 3 highways. We have JSQ which has 2 beautiful theatres and JSQ itself is coming back and is great center of our city

Alonzo-ny
April 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I dont think jc should be 2nd city because it is connected to NY i think so id say newark or stamford

TeddyJ
April 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I think Newark has a higher ceiling than Jersey City

JCMAN320
April 17th, 2006, 08:53 PM
No it doesn't they can't build very high because of the airport.

estryker
May 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Obviously, Newark by size (and we wish it the best) - but Jersey City and its Hudson County neighbors for substance, quality and intrigue . . . enough said.

CastleHillzfinest718
June 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
New Rochelle, Yonkers (est. pop. 230,000), and White Plains are all close to the city, and are quite large cities in themselves. Each offers large amounts of things to do, including New Roc City in New Rochelle, which offers games, bowling, tec, and White Plains, which offers the city center, with movies, stores, etc.

OmegaNYC
June 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
This is interesting. The NYC metro is so huge in size, that many satellite cities, that would be a powerhouse in other regions, fail in comparison to the city. So it is up to how one interpret a "second city". We have well over 6 cities that I can think of in the Tri-state area with a population of over 100,000. (Newark, Jersey City, Yonkers, Paterson, Bridgeport, Elizabeth). Elizabeth may have 120,000 people, but it borders Newark, a city of over 280,000, and is very close to Manhattan. So some people may look at Elizabeth as just a small city with nothing to offer. While, some see it as a thriving metro city that happens to be close to New York. If I have to pick a "second city" I'll choose JC and Newark, because of the fact that are the two largest cities in Jersey. Also, I'll choose Paterson and Elizabeth as a "minor" second city. These two cities are very diverse and have rich history. Also, I can't forget Yonkers, White Plains, and Bridgeport.

TeddyJ
June 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I think Newark should be the second city, theres so many parts of it that are still undeveloped. Once Newark gets its act together with the crime rate and finally fix up the broad and market sections of downtown then I think it will attract as many investors as JC is right now.

MiddlesexCountyMan
June 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
First of all, I like to say hello the everyone. This is a great forum, the articles, and the pictures of the skylines and proposed projects are super.

Newark (imho) is no doubt the second city in the metro. Jersey City is a better choice than either Stamford or White Plains but I don't think JC is the hub that Newark is. Newark is a major industrial, insurance, trading, transportation, and even legal hub (many major law firms have offices in Newark). Other selling points are: major roads (Turnpike, Parkway, 78, 280, the McCarter Highway, and Rt 1 & 9) all go through Newark; EWR is one of the busiest airports in the country; it has a performing arts center; 3 huge hospitals; major universities (UMDNJ med school, Rutgers-Newark, NJIT, and Seton Hall Law School); and very rich history (off course JC, Hoboken, and Yonkers can all gloat about that as well).

Newark seems to be on the rebound as people are moving back to the city, the arena will be up and running in a few years (knock on wood), and it seems as if condos and office space will be built. Granted it is not as affluent as White Plains or Stamford, many educated professionals work in Newark but don't live within the city limits. If Newark can get its act together and attract professionals as residents and businesses, perhaps it will be like the pre-1950 Newark when it was booming.

TeddyJ
June 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
First of all, I like to say hello the everyone. This is a great forum, the articles, and the pictures of the skylines and proposed projects are super.

Newark (imho) is no doubt the second city in the metro. Jersey City is a better choice than either Stamford or White Plains but I don't think JC is the hub that Newark is. Newark is a major industrial, insurance, trading, transportation, and even legal hub (many major law firms have offices in Newark). Other selling points are: major roads (Turnpike, Parkway, 78, 280, the McCarter Highway, and Rt 1 & 9) all go through Newark; EWR is one of the busiest airports in the country; it has a performing arts center; 3 huge hospitals; major universities (UMDNJ med school, Rutgers-Newark, NJIT, and Seton Hall Law School); and very rich history (off course JC, Hoboken, and Yonkers can all gloat about that as well).

Newark seems to be on the rebound as people are moving back to the city, the arena will be up and running in a few years (knock on wood), and it seems as if condos and office space will be built. Granted it is not as affluent as White Plains or Stamford, many educated professionals work in Newark but don't live within the city limits. If Newark can get its act together and attract professionals as residents and businesses, perhaps it will be like the pre-1950 Newark when it was booming.

I agree with everything you said. As you said Newark has one of the busiest airports in the country and port newark is one of the biggest and busiest ports in the country (and growing). Newark is hosting Berkely college starting this fall, this will bring even more young students to Newark. JC is getting all the shine, and rightfully so, but Newark is gonna come out of no where and surprise alot of people.

Punzie
December 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
For me it's a tie between Newark and Jersey City, but Newark has the International Airport, so Newark it is...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/Rapunzel61/Smileys/Smile-Grin/smile-globe.gif

clubBR
February 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM
White Plains because it is cool.

JCexpert558
July 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Maybe more people would pick Jersey City if it had a airport train station a bus station a stadium and major high ways . But Jersey city has lots of project going on and when the 111 st is built, that will change the world. Regardless of all that I still pick Jersey City:D

TeddyJ
July 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
JC is a wannabe new york, many jc residents are from ny

66nexus
July 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe more people would pick Jersey City if it had a airport train station a bus station a stadium and major high ways . But Jersey city has lots of project going on and when the 111 st is built, that will change the world. Regardless of all that I still pick Jersey City:D

Man, you named a lot of things just now lol. A lot of cities would be great if they had those things. JC has the advantage of being connected to NYC and Newark so it could utilize airports, trans-hubs, etc. Even though they're not within JC city limits they're still good selling points (proximity is key)

JCMAN320
July 30th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Teddyj that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've heard. JC is no different than Brooklyn in trying to get a piece of the action. In fact JC and Brooklyn are similar just different in terms of political boundries.

Yes there are people that live in JC that are from Manhattan or Brooklyn but a majority of the residents are natives including myself. I' am a 6th generation JC resident.

We are not wannabe anything just trying to better ourselves.

JCexpert558
July 31st, 2007, 10:15 PM
If Jersey city becomes the second city of the Metropolitan area will it change it Rank in size.Also another thing is that I agree with you JCman320. Jersey City isnt a wannabe New York.

66nexus
July 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Jersey City needs to build more inland for a more organic skyline. The buildings inland would do right to be taller in order to still achieve the 'Manhattan view.' Where exactly is GS's new tower going to be?

JCMAN320
July 31st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Well inland JC's skyline will grow. They are building 10 story condos around Bergen Sq and the City Center Towers in JSQ will be 50 stories and will be on top of a hill and will tower over JSQ and PATH Plaza so it will be even more impressive. GS's new tower will be where the atrium was suppose to be on top of the underground parking lot.

JCexpert558
August 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
I know that Jersey City has Districts but does it have zones like Midtown, Uptown, and Downtown:confused:

66nexus
August 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM
If Jersey city becomes the second city of the Metropolitan area will it change it Rank in size.Also another thing is that I agree with you JCman320. Jersey City isnt a wannabe New York.

Not quite sure what you mean: 'change it Rank in size'. You mean the populace?

JCexpert558
August 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry I mean Rank in like the rank of size of the city like NYC rank is #1

66nexus
August 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Well inland JC's skyline will grow. They are building 10 story condos around Bergen Sq and the City Center Towers in JSQ will be 50 stories and will be on top of a hill and will tower over JSQ and PATH Plaza so it will be even more impressive. GS's new tower will be where the atrium was suppose to be on top of the underground parking lot.

That should add quite a nice fill. I really do wish they would put some sort of light scheme on the current GS tower. You could see the Newark 744 Broad St building for miles and that thing's only 465ft. The lit roof can be seen for miles so imagine what that same setup could do for the GS building, even if the skyline is tucked up against NYC's it would still stand out. Unsure if someone may have asked but are there any renderings for the new building?

JCMAN320
August 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
The GS tower was suppose to be lit up, but decided against it after 9/11 because it was u/c when 9/11 happned. They even shortened the height after 9/11. It was suppose to be 100 ft taller. I think they might light the set backs now because of GS's commitment to building a campus here in JC.

Renederings for 50 Hudson I have seen on TV on JC1TV but I can't find one online.

Yes there is "Downtown" JC with the historic brownstone neighborhoods of Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park, Harsimus Cove, Hamilton Park, and the warehouse district of the Powerhouse Art District. Then you have the Exchange Place Financial District with the GS buildings, 101 Hudson, Exchange Place Cntr, and Harborside Financial Center. The you have the Newport area with it's financial center and residential area like Battery Park City.

Then there is "Midtown" JC with Journal Square, Five Corners, Bergen Square and McGinley Square neighborhoods. Then there is the "Westside" with West Bergen/Lincon Park and the Marion neighborhoods. Then there is "Uptown" which is the Jersey City Heights. Then the southern section with Greenville, Bergen, and Lafayette.

JCexpert558
August 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Now that I think about it I think Newark should have the title because it is the bigger city. But I still pick Jersey City because I like it better