PDA

View Full Version : 'Repositioning' a Riverfront Town

Law & Order
June 26th, 2005, 01:37 AM
/

JCMAN320
June 26th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Awesome job for Weehawken I like the deal for the park space, Lefrak agreed to finish the JC walkway connecting Hoboken and the norhtern end of Newport will get a lot of park space along the walkway and piers. The HRPAC will be great I can't wait!!!!

macreator
June 26th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I took a trip to Jersey City yesterday via the World Financial Center - Colgate Center NYWaterway ferry.

The ferry ride itself is like 30 seconds long and I was quite impressed by the ferry terminal built on the JC side near the Goldman Sachs building.

The JC waterfront really was built out quite nice and has a WFC feel to it. The one thing that hit me though as I was walking through at first was how deserted the JC waterfront and inner parts were.

I found it hard to find any places to eat besides Applebees and a nice, but limited, cafe near the Goldman Sachs building.

Moving through JC I was impressed by the lightrail that had been built, but what struck me was how after going about 2 blocks into JC the place really felt empty and you started to see a ton of old abandoned industrial buildings. I had expected the developed part of JC to be a bit wider I suppose.

Landscaping was beautiful in the developed parts of JC and the place had a "well kept" feeling to it but the lack of people and street life was very eery.

Further into JC, to the older and non-industrial part of the City, I liked the beautiful townhouses and there was a couple of small restaurants but I had the sense that the place really shut down after 5 o'clock on weekdays and on the weekends. The post office was beautiful when I passed by. I found a few odd spots on the roads as different developments overlapped and must not have shared notes on the road heights.

One of the things that really irked me about JC's waterfront was perhaps how boring the architecture really is besides a few older buildings on the water (this is excluding the victorian style homes further in JC remember) as most of the developed part was built in the last ten years and it was obvious that the companies that built (besides Goldman Sachs) in JC really didn't spend much on architecture.

What I found interesting, and of course logical, is that JC had the feeling of being more connected transportation wise to NYC than New Jersey. Having said all this, JC has a lot going for it including what looks to be a very committed city-government that clearly is putting a lot into the town's infrastructure including amazingly well kept landscaping that is quite consistent throughout the Downtown area, a speedy and quiet lightrail system that Manhattan really should emulate on the far West side (i.e. Vision42 proposal), a welcoming feel besides the lack of people and great sanitation in the developed areas.

While New York City is by far a much more interesting place in terms of an eclectic mix of building styles and street life, Lower Manhattan in particular really should look to JC in terms of making Downtown more attractive to businesses by (a) cleaning up the streets and back alleys, (b) placing planters on sidewalks as has been done well by the Grand Central Partnership in Midtown, (c) replacing war-zone inspired jersey barriers with equally strong bollards (as has been done in JC), (d) encouraging better retails shops and of course (e) rebuilding the WTC thereby relieving potential Downtown businesses from having to look at a depressing hole in the ground surrounded by gawking tourists.

pianoman11686
June 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
The "abandoned" feeling that you felt while in Jersey City, and likewise the existence of a declining industrial sector immediately adjacent to the downtown area, is a trademark of many American cities, and not unique to Jersey City. I'm not at all surprised by your description. Most big cities face the problem of luring people into the city center for non-work related purposes, but alas, ever since the 70's, people have been fleeing home to the suburbs after work. I feel New York is special in that regard because it has a truly unmatched vibrance that is unique when compared to that of tourism-driven cities like Las Vegas. I think this vibrance is also something that will make Downtown Brooklyn an increasingly more attractive alternative to Jersey City. Then again, Jersey City is undertaking its own initiatives to make the waterfront more lively. As far as Lower Manhattan, streets are being repaired to a large extent, and small areas of parkland and greenery are sprouting up in many places. As the residential population continues to grow, more and better retail will spring forth. And regarding the new WTC - I'm not completely convinced that it will benefit the area, at least in the short term. I think the "hole in the ground" aspect is not as big a turnoff for businesses as the lack of transportation infrastructure and the delay in demolishing or reconstructing buildings in the area such as Deutsche Bank and Fiterman Hall. As these final hurdles are cleared, I believe a lot more business will be driven to some of the area's buildings, including 7WTC, especially considering all the recently approved incentives. As for the Freedom Tower - it remains to be seen if businesses will disregard the risks in working there. The tourist factor I feel is irrelevant given the incredible rise of business in the Times Square area, which is unquestionably New York's biggest tourist attraction.

JCMAN320
June 27th, 2005, 12:17 AM
In regards to the abandond buildings and decline and industry, those buildings are being reused and renovated into art lofts and are in our powerhouse art district. With industry it has just moved to Port Jersey where we have ALOT of industry. The waterfront will fill in once the resdiential buildings are finished that are under construction. Once you get to the heart of Downtown at Newark and Grove, it has alot of energy during the day and going into the night with its great bars, restauraunts and clubs. It does not completely down at 5 if anything more people come out. I was down there all day yesterday and all night at bars and nightclubs. Paulus Hook is a great neighborhood which is right behind the GSB. If you look at my posts JC is not having a hard time luring businesses more people keep wanting to come here. I appreciate your observation JC is really going great. You will see in the next 3 years the completeion of a large group of residential buildings will be completed that are under construction throughout downtown that will increase the population down there. Keep in mind this is the newest area of the city give us some time we will suprise everyone.

http://jerseycityvibe.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=5&Itemid=63

All about buildings being built downtown, look at the neighborhood section to the right.

JCMAN320
August 8th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Site about the Hudson River Performing Arts Center that will soon start building on the waterfront in Weehawken. It will be one of the best if not better than NJPAC and mos def the accoustics will be better than Lincoln Center as NJPAC has already surpassed it in that catagory. NJPAC is of higher quality than Lincoln Center and the HRPAC should surpass both of them. It will have a class wall that can open and close will alllow for performance in and outside on the pier it will be built on.

http://www.hrpac.org/imagine.htm

JCMAN320
September 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
$14M Weehawken Park debuts as athletics jewel

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

http://blog.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_impact/2007/09/large_weepark.jpg

WEEHAWKEN - With the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop, Weehawken unveiled a state-of-the-art athletic facility on the waterfront yesterday morning.

The $14 million Weehawken Park, just off Port Imperial Boulevard and Baldwin Avenue, is one of the last stages of the Port Imperial waterfront development, which started in 1992.

At the center of the 10.5-acre recreational oasis, designed by landscape architect Mathews Nielsen, is an artificial turf field marked out for soccer and football, surrounded by a six-lane running track.

The park also boasts a softball field and a baseball field - one with artificial turf, the other grass - which will double as a public lawn.

To the south are three tennis courts, the first courts in Weehawken in 10 years. It also includes a golf putting green, fitness equipment, an amphitheater built for up to 200 people, and recreational equipment for children, and parking.

Roseland Property Group built the park on previously inaccessible industrial land as a "giveback" for developing the residential and commercial Port Imperial South development.

Use of the space will be shared by Weehawken Township, its schools and Stevens Institute of Technology.

The second phase of the recreation center will bring the park up to about 16.5 acres. That area, to the south of the park, will include an open-air swimming pool, a skating rink, and a kayak launch.

JCMAN320
October 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Press Release from PANYNJ.com:

LINCOLN TUNNEL HELIX REPAVING WORK TO BEGIN OCTOBER 8

Date: October 04, 2007
Press Release Number: 82-2007

Work is Part of the Agency’s $1.7 Billion 10-Year Plan to Maintain
Tunnels and Bridges in a State of Good Repair

The Port Authority will begin a project on Monday, October 8, to repave a 450-foot section of the eastbound helix leading to the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza as part of its $1.7 billion program to keep its tunnels and bridges in a state of good repair.

For approximately two weeks, the New York-bound helix will be closed between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., Monday through Friday, and from 11 p.m. Fridays to 7 a.m. on Saturdays. Additional Friday night/Saturday morning closings also may be required.

During those times, eastbound traffic will be diverted off the helix at the Pleasant Avenue exit.

The $500,000 project is part of the Port Authority’s extensive program to keep its bridges and tunnels in a state of good repair. In its 10-year capital plan, the agency has earmarked $1.7 billion for state-of-good-repair projects at bridges and tunnels.