PDA

View Full Version : Walking across Bridges

Law & Order
June 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I would like to know if the following bridges are open for pedestrian travel (such as is the Queensboro Bridge open or is it closed due to construction?), and what is the average time it takes to walk across them. Also what is the easiest way to gain access of the bridge. The list is every bridge in manhattan, and some of the ones in other boroughs, I just wanted to make sure people dont focus on the Brooklyn Bridge alone.

Manhattan Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
Roosevelt Island Bridge
Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
Hell Gate Bridge
Triboro Bridge
George Washington Bridge
145th Street Bridge
Alexander Hammilton Bridge
Broadway Bridge
Henry Hudson Bridge
Macombs Dam Bridge
High Bridge (I know this one is closed, I hope it opens, does anyone know about the water tower?)
Madison Avenue Bridge
Third Avenue Bridge
Washington Bridge
Willis Avenue Bridge

Pretty much just name the ones you know about. I am most intrested in the time it takes to get across going one way, also whether it is actually allowed to be crossed.

pianoman11686
June 28th, 2005, 11:50 PM
The only ones I know of for sure are the Brooklyn Bridge and 145th Street. The Brooklyn I know because they're always showing tourists walking across it as a big attraction, and the 145th street I had to walk across on September 11th to flee the city. That one was nothing special, though. There's not much to see up there. I am also pretty sure the G. Washington and Williamsburg Bridges do not allow for pedestrians. I could be wrong though.

ResidentTourist
June 29th, 2005, 12:59 AM
You can also walk across the Manhattan Bridge, but it is pretty empty most of the time besides a few bicyclists. You get some good views of the city from it, only thing is that it has really high fences on the rails, so it kinda gets in the way to take good pictures.

BrooklynRider
June 30th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I'vw walked the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queensboro, Williamsburg, and George Washington. There's also the historic Carroll Street Bridge in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn.

Ninjahedge
July 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Walk south... ;)

When you hit brooklyn heights, stay there for a few hours, then walk over.

The thing is, you may want to start in Brooklyn and cross over in manhattan, I think the distance is shorter that way.....

ZippyTheChimp
July 18th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Just the opposite. If you start in Brooklyn, you will have a half-mile hike between the bridges in Manhattan. The distance between the bridges in Brooklyn is about 4 blocks.

Off the Manhattan Bridge at Sands St. West 1 block. Right on Pearl St, one block to Prospect St. Left on Prospect St. 2 blocks, and you will pass under the Brooklyn Bridge approach. There is a stair up to the walkway.

sirhcman
July 18th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Just the opposite. If you start in Brooklyn, you will have a half-mile hike between the bridges in Manhattan. The distance between the bridges in Brooklyn is about 4 blocks.

Off the Manhattan Bridge at Sands St. West 1 block. Right on Pearl St, one block to Prospect St. Left on Prospect St. 2 blocks, and you will pass under the Brooklyn Bridge approach. There is a stair up to the walkway.

I would definantly recommend walking across the Manhattan Bridge. On my first trip to Manhattan back in 2004 we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and came back on the Manhattan Bridge. Some beautiful views and only the occasional bike rider and walker are on the bridge..

Ninjahedge
July 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Sorry, my bad..... :P

ablarc
August 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Allow yourself half an hour at least, so you can take in the scene and get pictures. Distance between towers is about 1/3 of a mile, total length of bridges over twice that.

macreator
August 4th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I am hosting various events for photographers this month, starting on the 14th.

Two harbor cruises to view bridges up close; private admittance to adjacent tall buildings to photograph bridges from new angles; walks across the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queensborough, Randall's (Wards) Island, Roosevelt Island, and the Harlem River spans.

Grand finale is a night photo session on September 3rd. Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges as seen from Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park, with 20 of the world's foremost landscape photographers. All required permits have been secured.

All events are free but space is severely limited. Tours are on weekdays and weekends.

Send me an email for more information. No PM's.

cmandala@nyc.rr.com

Which tall buildings are you gaining admittance to? Just curious.

NY_Yankees_1979
August 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
I would like to know if the following bridges are open for pedestrian travel (such as is the Queensboro Bridge open or is it closed due to construction?), and what is the average time it takes to walk across them. Also what is the easiest way to gain access of the bridge. The list is every bridge in manhattan, and some of the ones in other boroughs, I just wanted to make sure people dont focus on the Brooklyn Bridge alone.

Manhattan Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
Roosevelt Island Bridge
Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
Hell Gate Bridge
Triboro Bridge
George Washington Bridge
145th Street Bridge
Alexander Hammilton Bridge
Broadway Bridge
Henry Hudson Bridge
Macombs Dam Bridge
High Bridge (I know this one is closed, I hope it opens, does anyone know about the water tower?)
Madison Avenue Bridge
Third Avenue Bridge
Washington Bridge
Willis Avenue Bridge

Pretty much just name the ones you know about. I am most intrested in the time it takes to get across going one way, also whether it is actually allowed to be crossed. I think most of the bridges are open to pedestrain traffic, I think that the George Washington is open to pedestrain traffic even though it mainly serves a major interstate highway, but I'm not sure about the Alexander Hamilton.

NY_Yankees_1979
August 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
The George Washington is open to pedestrians and is I-95, the Alexander Hamilton has room for pedestrians (Just a small breakdown lane) but Im not sure how you would get to it. It would be very dangerous to walk across it and you may be fined. I agree that the Alexander Hamilton would be very dangerous to walk across. I wonder if the Washington Bridge (181 in Manhattan) has a pedestrain walkway.

BrooklynRider
August 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
The worst bridges to cross are the Manhattan and Queenboro (due to the subway noise). The city should consider decking the area above the lower roadway to raise the pedestrian bridge to a level that offers unobstructed north and south views, while alleviating the subway noise. This way, the two side paths can be dedicated to bicylcles.

I like the Williamsburg crossing, but the Brooklyn Bridge is without equal as a pedestrian-friendly bridge (although I have seen some gruesome accidents vetween speeding bicycles and idiot tourists).

NY_Yankees_1979
August 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I think the Washington bridge in upper Manhattan would be better to cross than the Alexander Hamilton Bridge...the Alexander Hamilton Bridge is an interstate highway crossing the Harlem River and you have people switching lanes to get off on the Deegan and Harlem River Drive and FDR and all that and not to mention getting ready to cross the GWB. So that one would be out of the question for me anyways. The Washington Bridge isn't too far from the Alexander Hamilton anyways.

NY_Yankees_1979
August 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah the Washington Bridge is where you are supposed to walk and bike over. But just for any guests reading this: The Washington Bridge, is a Harlem River crossing, and the George Washington Bridge is a Hudson River crossing. Two completely different bridges. And I might add on the exact location of the Washington Bridge (Harlem River crossing) it is right at 181st in Manhattan just north of the Alexander Hamilton Bridge and for any visitors reading this the Alexander Hamilton Bridge is I-95 over the Harlem River.

NY_Yankees_1979
August 28th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Yeah, thanks for adding that. No problem. I just think that a lot of people might get confused with the two bridges and I think I clearly pointed out the difference.