PDA

View Full Version : Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

abbygirl
July 11th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry if these questions are already ask, please lead me to where its already been asked to.

I am wondering what a typical taxi driver attitude is? How do they usually treat visiters/ people in NYC? Are they nice/ mean. What should people expect from a NYC taxi driver?

Is the ride bouncy? Smooth? Slow? Long?

Ninjahedge
July 12th, 2005, 09:03 AM
There is no real typical attitude.

Some are nice, some arent. Some are psycho drivers. We had one that had his walkman on and could not hear us telling him to stop as we almost passed our drop off point. He also swerved the car to the beat of whatever he was listening to. It was downright scary.

MOST cab drivers are aggressive drivers, and a lot do not speak english as their first language. Unlike in England, there is no real course or requirement for new cabbies in NYC. You could easily end up with a cabbie that does not know where you are going....

So just be aware of this, and also be aware that NY is big, but sometimes it is faster just to walk to where you need to go....

czsz
July 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Travel to any destination in the five boroughs of the City of New York;
A courteous, English-speaking driver who knows the streets in Manhattan and the way to major destinations in other boroughs;
A driver who knows and obeys all traffic laws;
A radio-free (silent) trip;
A driver who uses the horn only when necessary to warn of danger.

Ha...ha...ha...riight

cabbyman
May 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
i'm american born and raised, and i have been driving a yellow cab in new york for about six months now to help pay for school.

please know whoever reads this, that many cab drivers are relatively intelligent guys that just need some way to produce ready cash. many are in a foreign country with out any connections to get them in to something else right away. furthermore most of them speak english perfectly fine.

when one has to deal with the self absorbed, obnoxious, paris-hilton attitude of most new yorkers on a day to day basis, one learns to pretend not to understand a single word. when people that will drop fifty to a hundred dollars at a club without blinking, or do a show and dinner for three/four hundred over a weekend, start to play bullshit games with you over fifty-cents in change... and this, of course, after they've asked you- and you've done all kinds of this and that for them... and you do this day after day for twelve hours straight...

believe me, when people treat you as if you are the lowest form of life, but expect to be accorded the highest respects and considerations (and even if you do the 'perfect' job they will still ask you for the fifty cents change) you also will begin to turn up the volume on that ipod, chat away with your family and friends on you cell phone, and drive like a complete ****ing lunatic if you feel like.

lofter1
May 21st, 2006, 12:08 AM
From this ^^ it sounds like you expect, right off the top, that anyone who enters your cab will be a POS.

All the more reason to avoid taking cabs in NYC

How nice it would be if a driver said just once: "Hello ... where can I take you?"

ablarc
May 21st, 2006, 07:35 AM
I believe the cabbie's attitude reflects his passenger's. The decision's made in the first second: how you get in the cab is crucial, and how you greet the cabbie.

Years ago I was a supercilious SOB and so were the cabbies. Nowadays I choose not to be a jerk, and the cabbies are pussycats and sweethearts.

Can't be that the cabbies changed so much all by themselves.

Zerlina
May 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
The taxi driver I met in NY were kind and... they spoke a lot!!! But I don't think that's THE attitude of all of them!:D

ablarc
May 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM
See? Zerlina, you're clearly also a pussycat.

TranspoMan
May 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM
I've gotten into cabs on many occasions where the driver is in the midst of a conversation on their cell phone headset and speaking in a foreign language. They pause when you get in the cab to get your destination and then resume their conversation. I have no idea what they're talking about and who they're talking to but they are generally courteous and keep their voice down (unlike some other NYers on the bus and trains).

Zerlina
May 21st, 2006, 12:51 PM
See? Zerlina, you're clearly also a pussycat.

Ablarc, I don't understand what you mean saying that I'm a pussycat. Can you give me an explaination, please? Thanks in advance!

ablarc
May 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

puss•y•cat noun

Informal. One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

Taxidrivers are invariably courteous towards pussycats.

(forumers are, also)

Zerlina
May 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

puss•y•cat noun

Informal. One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

Taxidrivers are invariably courteous towards pussycats.

(forumers are, also)

Thanks a lot, Ablarc! I'm Italian and I just can't speak a perfect American language!:D However, it's true... I'm easy going, kind and smiling... that's my way to live!

ablarc
May 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm easy going, kind and smiling... that's my way to live!
That's the only way to live. :)

I wish there were more like you.

Zerlina
May 21st, 2006, 01:23 PM
That's the only way to live. :)

I wish there were more like you.

Ohhh... that's very kind of you! I think that... life gets better when you smile!:)

NewYorkYankee
May 21st, 2006, 11:08 PM
If the driver isnt on the phone, I like to start conversations with them. Most seem to enjoy the company and will gladly talk with me.

Canadian
May 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
The traffic is terrible in NYC. Big surprise! Sometimes it takes forever to flag down a cab & then you end up spending ages stopped in traffice with the meter running. I prefer to walk or take the bus. When I have taken a taxi I have met a couple of rude drivers but mostly they have been very interesting friendly people. It must be a nerve wracking, and dangerous, job.

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Cabbies are disrespected by everyone.

But their car cannot be. It is as levelling as a gun to an abused geek. It puts them on the same ground as every other person on the road and they can feel it.

So when these guys have a bad day, have a rough client, or are just pissed off about something in general, their driving will reflect that.

I have RARELY seen a cabbie with an "Off Duty" sign, especially if their family is in the car, cut someone off, tailgate, or drive obnoxiously, so that should tell you something.

But it is a two way street. You be nice to a cabbie, it makes them nicer to you.

Oh, tip. Use cabs to get uptown or downtown. Walk crosstown to the avenue you want (and direction it is going) and graba cab from there on. You can, in most instances, cover most of manhattan in a few minutes.

As soon as you want to go crosstown, it can sometimes be slower than walking. And definitely more expensive!

Also, I am one of those people that asks for the 50 cents back at times. Why? So I can give you a tip in whole bills ya grump!!!! ;P

moogyboy
May 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
The one time I took a cab in NYC was maybe 4:30 in the morning on Christmas Day, after a debacle of a plane trip (remember the Delta Airlines Meltdown of 2004?). I had to get from JFK to Penn Station. I was thoroughly burnt out, and the airline had lost my luggage, so the last thing I needed was an a**hole cabbie.

I got a cabbie from...where was it? Definitely not from the US. Anyway, he was very cool--treated the trip as a quasi guided tour, pointing out the neighborhoods we were passing through, and he had the radio tuned to some very cool music from back home, wherever that was, which I found really soothing. He even got me where I needed to go. I gave the guy a generous tip and wished him a happy holiday.

I eventually did get my luggage back, btw. It was sitting at Newark International the whole time.

cheers,

Billy S.

moogyboy
May 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe it's just my Midwestern upbringing, but I generally treat everybody who serves me in any way with a lot of respect, and it takes a lot to set me off. I'm the kind of guy who'll shrug and eat a screwed-up order from a fast food drive-thru. My NJ-native girlfriend tells me with a smirk that I'm maybe too nice a guy for the east coast. Hmm...

cheers,

Billy S.

NewYorkYankee
May 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Of course not Moogy! Im from Tennessee and Im surviving these "rude northerners" just fine! You may get some weird looks when you hold the door open for people to go ahead of you, but thats about it.

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Try saying "Gesundheit" or "God Bless You" on teh subway after someone sneezes. People are surprised by that one too.

And one other kick. Try saying "Hi" to teh newspaper guys. I always said good morningto one as I came out of teh path train. He did not hear me at first, but after a few weeks he also said "hi".

I switch jobs and a week later I run into him at a stand in front of Grand Central. Small city this is sometimes!

pscoln1
May 24th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry if these questions are already ask, please lead me to where its already been asked to.

I am wondering what a typical taxi driver attitude is? How do they usually treat visiters/ people in NYC? Are they nice/ mean. What should people expect from a NYC taxi driver?

I actually like this post. I have had soo many experiences with cab drivers. I have seen some pple kick cabs and punch the cab lite off the top of the car because the cab driver refused to drive to brklyn. They are extremely aggressive because the more pple they drive around the more money they make. But roads in manhatten are generally filled with metal plates and potholes, so the trip will be somewhat bumpy. I'm used to it, so it feels smooth to me! And if your drunk at the end of the night, cab driver can be hilarious. On the downside, some cabs (not sure if its the driver or pple in the cab prior to you gettin in there) truly stink. There have been times in dead winter and freezing temperatures, that I have rolled down the window just so I could breathe. But hey, when you need to get from point A to point B, take the cab! Its reliable enough!

milleniumcab
May 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
i'm american born and raised, and i have been driving a yellow cab in new york for about six months now to help pay for school.

please know whoever reads this, that many cab drivers are relatively intelligent guys that just need some way to produce ready cash. many are in a foreign country with out any connections to get them in to something else right away. furthermore most of them speak english perfectly fine.

when one has to deal with the self absorbed, obnoxious, paris-hilton attitude of most new yorkers on a day to day basis, one learns to pretend not to understand a single word. when people that will drop fifty to a hundred dollars at a club without blinking, or do a show and dinner for three/four hundred over a weekend, start to play bullshit games with you over fifty-cents in change... and this, of course, after they've asked you- and you've done all kinds of this and that for them... and you do this day after day for twelve hours straight...

believe me, when people treat you as if you are the lowest form of life, but expect to be accorded the highest respects and considerations (and even if you do the 'perfect' job they will still ask you for the fifty cents change) you also will begin to turn up the volume on that ipod, chat away with your family and friends on you cell phone, and drive like a complete ****ing lunatic if you feel like.

Hey Cabbyman,

I also drive a yellow cab and can sympithize with you. But I don't think there is such thing as a typical NY passenger just like a there is no such thing as a typical cab driver. I hope you don't let that one passenger's " paris-hilton" attitude effect the way you treat the next one... It is a tough job that we do but you can't expect all to appreciate us... Do not let them walk all over you but keep up the professionalism...

BE SAFE OUT THERE..!!!

milleniumcab
May 31st, 2006, 12:06 AM
From this ^^ it sounds like you expect, right off the top, that anyone who enters your cab will be a POS.

How nice it would be if a driver said just once: "Hello ... where can I take you?"

I guess you have never been in my cab and I also know I am not the only cabby who greets their passengers.

You sound like someone who would throw a case of apples away because a few bad ones on top. If that's the case, I hope I never get you as a passenger...

Ninjahedge
May 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM
I guess you have never been in my cab and I also know I am not the only cabby who greets their passengers.

You sound like someone who would throw a case of apples away because a few bad ones on top. If that's the case, I hope I never get you as a passenger...

Millenium, relax.

Loft is a nice guy, but I do have to agree with him on this abit, it is more than a few sour apples in the batch and they ruin the rep for all of you guys.

Generally speaking ALL of the cabs I have gotten into have been rather unattentive, although not obnoxious to me when I get in. It is only after I have been nice to them that they let their guard down a bit and get friendly.

I am not begrudging them this. NYC has a lot of people, both local and visiting, that can make that hardened exterior build up on ANYONE in the service industry.

It is amazing how much gnuine happiness I see on someones face when I pass them as they are sweeping the street, or holding the door open for people and I say "hi" or "Good Morning". If such a simple act brings so much pleasure, they must not get much of it from the general public.

So MC, don't take it out on Loft. He is not a mean guy. This is just what he has seen around town in his experience, not what all drivers, including yourself, are like.

milleniumcab
June 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM
When one makes a comment on this forum, it reaches to many. I just wanted to make sure people see the other side of the fence.. That's all.. If I offended anyone, I am sorry...

one more thing... In order to have me and likes of me in the majority, not the minority, working conditions for cab drivers must be improved to attract the best in the business...But I am sorry to say, I don't see that happening anytime soon...

Ninjahedge
June 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
You mean you do not like Squeeky Brakes and "optional" AC? ;)

Clarknt67
June 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
I don't know if I could charactorize any atttude as "typical." I've had experiences that range from very pleasant to very rude.

Anecdote: Once, about a decade ago, I hoped into a cab and barked out my destination. And good-naturedly the driver ribbed me, "What's the matter, you can't just say 'hi, how are you first?'" Ever since I've been diligent to remember drivers are people too and greet them courteously before I bark out my orders! ;-)

Sometimes they talk to me, sometimes too much, sometimes entertainingly. Sometimes they babble endlessly on their phones.

I once took a driver to T&L commission court for refusing to take me to Brooklyn and very rudely evicting me and my two London visitors out in the street in the rain. He was fined $400. I felt kinda bad about that (the fine seemed too high), but he WAS an asshole (he cursed at us) and it WAS raining and I did tell him if he refused to take us to Brooklyn I would report him, so he kinda made his own bed.

But sometimes you get drivers that are pleasant to talk to, or are real NYC charactors.

What is NOT typical is getting a woman driver. I'm not sure I've ever had one in 13 years.

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
You mean you do not like Squeeky Brakes and "optional" AC? ;)

what are you kidding me? The last thing i wanna have in my cab is "Squeeky Brakes". And when it comes to AC, If I need it , you have it. It's that simple.....

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
I don't know if I could charactorize any atttude as "typical." I've had experiences that range from very pleasant to very rude.

Anecdote: Once, about a decade ago, I hoped into a cab and barked out my destination. And good-naturedly the driver ribbed me, "What's the matter, you can't just say 'hi, how are you first?'" Ever since I've been diligent to remember drivers are people too and greet them courteously before I bark out my orders! ;-)

Sometimes they talk to me, sometimes too much, sometimes entertainingly. Sometimes they babble endlessly on their phones.

I once took a driver to T&L commission court for refusing to take me to Brooklyn and very rudely evicting me and my two London visitors out in the street in the rain. He was fined $400. I felt kinda bad about that (the fine seemed too high), but he WAS an asshole (he cursed at us) and it WAS raining and I did tell him if he refused to take us to Brooklyn I would report him, so he kinda made his own bed.

But sometimes you get drivers that are pleasant to talk to, or are real NYC charactors.

What is NOT typical is getting a woman driver. I'm not sure I've ever had one in 13 years.

----There are a few woman, driving a cab. You got to be real lucky to get one:)))

----If I am talking on a cell phone, TELL me to HANG the hell up.!!!!...SIMPLE....

----If any cab driver refused you to take you anywhere in NYC, you have that right.... But consider this as a scenario.....You have paid $125 to drive that cab for the shift and you know that you are going to spend another ( minimum) $60.00 for gas, food, water and whateverelse....That cab is costing you $185 before any profit...Would you be pissed off if I got in and said BROOOKLYN, please...Listen , don't get me wrong, I would not have evicted you from my cab, I would not even be mad about it, becaues if your destination is Brooklyn , hey it's Brooklyn:)))....
(Brooklyn , Queens and the Bronx, the yellow Cab Drivers just can not get a fare, any fare ....)

It is funny you should mention that tonight.. Let me tell you what happened to me today... a passenger wanted to go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn....Driggs and North 9th to be exact...I picked her up at 29th and Second Avenue in Manhattan, the time was 2:10 PM.. She wanted to take the Williamsburg Bridge... My response was that it would be faster to take Midtown Tunnel, that I received an email about Outer Roadway on Williamsburg Bridge closing, 24/7, from June 1st to June 15th...by the way, today is June 1st:)))... On a good day, it would be much faster and cheaper to take the MIdtown Tunnel to her destination, even with the tunnel toll.. But she wanted her way.. so she did ...Ohhh boy, what a mess... After an hour and fifteen minutes and $24 and change in the meter, she said she was sorry that she did not take my advice...My way would have cost about $15 and take about 20 minutes..any other cabby would have strangled her:))) the customer has the right but it is not that simple...the driver is forced to think money, money and money because of the way the cards are dealt to him/her...I don't know, it is difficult to explain unless you are in the same shoes... I'll tell you what? ..go and lease a cab for a shift and see how much you take home that day:)))

Rules can not be justified to a driver , unless that driver is allowed to take a decent pay home... it is a fine line but we all have to walk it...:)))))

cabbyman
June 2nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
Hello everyone, Thanks all you guys for the kind words :).

(I’m sorry if my popping in out of nowhere is annoying anyone, but even though I’m not a regular this is a very hot subject for me. Also, let me say up front that this will include major bitching and complaining, but i am posting anyway to add more clarity and specifics to the case).

In response to some of the ‘oh c’mon’ and ‘don’t be so grouchy’ replies I’ve read, again I say: even if one tries to maintain a nice pleasant atmosphere, the attitudes of the greater average of passengers really make it tough.

I think am mostly polite and amiable when dealing with people. Also, I’ve worked in various sorts of things that have made me familiar with how to flow and be personable for the short while. I have sales and sale-closing experience (the last few years i have been selling diamonds and designer jewelry in Los-Cabos Mexico). in my taxi there is always a pleasant scent and nice music on the radio (I have Sirius, so it’s usually ‘Spa’, ‘Blues’, or ‘Stern’ for those I can sense will enjoy it). Further, I pretty much know where I’m going (I am originally from NYC). I’m neat, well mannered, etc. etc... all this to say that as far as what yellow-cab drivers are supposed to supply, I believe I supply it.

In my short time driving I have found, although there are people that are genuine and polite who recognized a human being is sitting up front there. Many many are just plain entitled obnoxious ingrates. Period. I say this even in disagreement with milleniumcab who is VERY generous and kind in the way he prescribes patience. Further I say, it’s very difficult to repeatedly begin again with every new passenger, and lift one’s head out the fox-hole just to have it shot off again. I mean look, I’m driving a cab I’m not the Maitre d' from Tavern on the Greene… I ADMIRE and TREMENDOUSLY value doing things well and correctly, but There is only so much I think it makes sense to give for people who might, maybe, sometimes, in their kindness and their grace, tip me a dollar fifty-something for my efforts instead of asking for the bloody fifty cents change... most times I try to find the Zen in the taxiing anyway, but I just wanted to make the point.

A classic example of the usual takes place almost everyday (at least once) at shift change. As many New Yorkers know, at around four-thirty it can become impossible to catch a cab in the city, as many cabs go off duty and head back to their garage. The taxi shift generally runs from five to five SHARP and the next driver is waiting for the car to get right to work. Something that many new Yorkers may not know, as millenniumcab explained, a cab driver is under a lot of pressure to squeeze every last dollar he can into his day, so as to cover the ‘lease’, gas, and other expenses, and have enough left over as profit to justify getting up at three every morning every day.

Now, the usual procedure for drivers going back to switch is to put the ‘off duty’ light on and head to the garage while looking out for a ‘going my way’ fare. So you see the person with their hands up and ask them where they’re headed, and if it’s your direction or close you take them. If not, not. Perfectly legal by taxi code and an accepted part of the way it works to help the driver squeeze by and get the passenger where they’re going- maybe... (the off duty light MUST be ON for it to be legal).

So here’s the thing, (and I’m not talking about the people who will stand in the rain with there preschooler just ‘in-spite’, because their judgments declare it a sordid filthy taxiness to try and pick and choose you’re fares if you’re ‘off duty’ light is on. I’ve seen this more than a few times, but I do respect the conviction…)

So, NOT those people, but here’s the thing with another sub-group: they flag you down, and you stop and apologize and say “miss I’m sorry but I’m going back to the garage now. But tell me, Where are you headed? maybe I can take you?” And the people are all love, smiles, and tenderness, and they are like “can you please please please please take me? I will never ever get a cab and I absolutely NEED to be” wherever they need to be… “please please please!!!” now if (heaven forefend!) you cannot take them, or better, once you’ve agreed and they have already gotten IN to your taxicab, you need just a few moments and attitude will gush forth in a rich joyous cascade of snooty entitlement (Please imagine for yourself the whiney, sex-and-the-city voice): “What are you doing? I said the FAR corner!”, “why are you going THIS way? I like to go THAT way!”, “well it IS just off the corner but I don’t want to walk, you need to make the turn!”, “well if you COULDN’T take me- WHY did you stop!?”, and of course, my personal favorite, directly proportional to how much traffic and difficulty you encountered while completing this job, “can I have fifty-cents change?”...

But hey, as another driver I know always says to me, “never easily let your guard down! you get that really nice passenger and you get fuzzy inside like any normal f-cking human being. and then the next passenger comes in- and you give them the full treatment and more. and she of course is one of the many obnoxious, entitled, self absorbed f-cking $$%#s (starts with a ‘c’) that abound in New York City Taxicabs (these folks don’t take subways), and you end up feeling terrible for the rest of the day. You gotta watch yourself!”

And so there you have it: eight out of ten it’s the women not the men, and many of them are OUT to kick you cat around the block. Sometimes I’ve seen them using all kinds of sophisticated viciousness and snobbery (this is not an exaggeration, and I do not mean in response to a come-on or conversation started by the driver). It’s all power tripping and many just want a victim to let out on.

This is the essence of the thing. Many people get in to the taxi, and they’ve had a tough day. A workmate or lover or whatever has hurt them and they want somewhere to pass it along and get their ego back... Why not steal it from the immigrant, worthless, uneducated, lowest denominator in New York City society that they will ever interact with? Why not?

And so it goes.

cabbyman
June 2nd, 2006, 04:41 AM

one final thing i would like to add in reply to this post. almost always, depending on my store of patience, my habit on a passenger entering the taxi is "hi :) ... where can i take you?..." with repeating the destination back to them after i hear it.

Now, if i would have a dollar for every time i give that and in reply I receive a gruff "blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh" with no hello; and when i repeat the location, and if i didn't hear it correctly (it's hard to hear through the glass and some people find it sophisticated not to have to raise their precious voices) if i had a dollar for every time i get a nasty "I SAID blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh!"; or if i even just got a dollar for every time that when i try to clarify some detail with the passenger i get a condescending "just take me to blehblehbleh!"; than i would not have to drive a taxi at all anymore.

cabbyman
June 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

final final thing lofter, if you notice the blue glow of the sirius radio on a cab you're about to flag down? please do avoid taking MY yellow cab... you seem like exactly the sort of person that makes my day unpleasant.

Ninjahedge
June 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Um........

OK.

/me plugs ears as me walks down 6th avenue near stop light.

Admittedly though, I am also combining NYCTLC cabs with some other independant cab companies that do not care as much for their drivers.

It is understandable though. A guy zipping around the city in a yellow ford sedan..... How else are you going to categorize them! ;)

Clarknt67
June 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
But consider this as a scenario.....You have paid $125 to drive that cab for the shift and you know that you are going to spend another ( minimum) $60.00 for gas, food, water and whateverelse....That cab is costing you $185 before any profit...Would you be pissed off if I got in and said BROOOKLYN, please...Listen , don't get me wrong, I would not have evicted you from my cab, I would not even be mad about it, becaues if your destination is Brooklyn , hey it's Brooklyn:)))....
(Brooklyn , Queens and the Bronx, the yellow Cab Drivers just can not get a fare, any fare ....)

95% of the time I never question a cabby's route. Sometimes they're off but you never really know. Used to be the Manhattan Bridge was ALWAYS faster than the Brooklyn, but lately I've gotten trapped on the Manhattan too.

I have no sympathy for cabbies who give me attitude about going to Brooklyn, sorry. It's the job. Parts of my job I love, parts I grit my teeth and tolerate. That's life.

lofter1
June 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
... if you notice the blue glow of the sirius radio on a cab you're about to flag down? please do avoid taking MY yellow cab...
Duly noted.

Will avoid you at all costs ;)

lofter1
June 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
... As many New Yorkers know, at around four-thirty it can become impossible to catch a cab in the city, as many cabs go off duty and head back to their garage. The taxi shift generally runs from five to five SHARP ...
Thnaks for the clarification, cabbyman.

Above is another example that those who make the big decisions are often dimwits (Who would be the decider in this? The medallion holders? The NYC TLC?).

Probably one of the time periods when cabs are most in demand is 4P - 6P. To place the shift change right at that time neither serves the cabbies nor the potential passengers.

The gas station around the corner from me is always jam-packed with dozens of cabs gassing up at that time, and an available taxi on the street is near impossible to find.

Don't bother me so much -- I walk and take the subway ;)

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Thnaks for the clarification, cabbyman.

Above is another example that those who make the big decisions are often dimwits (Who would be the decider in this? The medallion holders? The NYC TLC?).

Probably one of the time periods when cabs are most in demand is 4P - 6P. To place the shift change right at that time neither serves the cabbies nor the potential passengers.

The gas station around the corner from me is always jam-packed with dozens of cabs gassing up at that time, and an available taxi on the street is near impossible to find.

Don't bother me so much -- I walk and take the subway ;)

The decider is the basic economics of leasing.. shift is 12 hours and each driver must get a rush hour in order to make it fair-even split...

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
95% of the time I never question a cabby's route. Sometimes they're off but you never really know. Used to be the Manhattan Bridge was ALWAYS faster than the Brooklyn, but lately I've gotten trapped on the Manhattan too.

I have no sympathy for cabbies who give me attitude about going to Brooklyn, sorry. It's the job. Parts of my job I love, parts I grit my teeth and tolerate. That's life.

You are right Clark, it is part of the job...
I was only trying to explain why some cabbies might have a problem with taking you to Brooklyn or any other outer- borough...

And... the traffic sooooo unpredictable lately, isn't it?

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Um........

OK.

/me plugs ears as me walks down 6th avenue near stop light.

Admittedly though, I am also combining NYCTLC cabs with some other independant cab companies that do not care as much for their drivers.

It is understandable though. A guy zipping around the city in a yellow ford sedan..... How else are you going to categorize them! ;)

..some other independent cab companies...??? are you still talking about yellow cabs ?

Zerlina
June 2nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
[quote=milleniumcab]----There are a few woman, driving a cab. You got to be real lucky to get one:)))

Well... I met a woman cab driver only once in my life...
I was in Rome and she took me to the airport... believe me guys... she looked like a man and, waiting for my luggage she smoked cigars too!!!:eek:

Ninjahedge
June 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
..some other independent cab companies...??? are you still talking about yellow cabs ?

Indian Way.

(In particular).

Oh, BTW, since when is it a curse to make the shift go from, say, 3 to 3?

I know that makes the morning commute horrible, but you could also just split it at say 2AM, about the time the bars let out and people want rides home (A ying/yang benefit there) AND you still get the morning commute.

5 PM as the swing is VERY impractical!

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Indian Way.

(In particular).

Oh, BTW, since when is it a curse to make the shift go from, say, 3 to 3?

I know that makes the morning commute horrible, but you could also just split it at say 2AM, about the time the bars let out and people want rides home (A ying/yang benefit there) AND you still get the morning commute.

5 PM as the swing is VERY impractical!

The fleets have that figured out... They have to make sure every cab has an equal chance of getting leased out..

any shift wiil temper with the amount of cabs on the road, throughout the day.. you don't want that either...for example, if you gave me an option of 3am to 3pm or 3pm to 3am shift.. I wuold take 3pm to 3am on certain days and 3am to 3pm on others..I am sure most will feel the same way..then what do you do with the second shift, have the cabs sit idle???

lofter1
June 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
But how does the breakdown from 5A - 5P - 5A give a full "rush hour" shift?

As you stated: At 5P (the start of the afternoon rush) is when all the cabbies are switching cabs and gassing up so they are missing out on the start of the rush hour period.

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
one final thing i would like to add in reply to this post. almost always, depending on my store of patience, my habit on a passenger entering the taxi is "hi :) ... where can i take you?..." with repeating the destination back to them after i hear it.

Now, if i would have a dollar for every time i give that and in reply I receive a gruff "blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh" with no hello; and when i repeat the location, and if i didn't hear it correctly (it's hard to hear through the glass and some people find it sophisticated not to have to raise their precious voices) if i had a dollar for every time i get a nasty "I SAID blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh!"; or if i even just got a dollar for every time that when i try to clarify some detail with the passenger i get a condescending "just take me to blehblehbleh!"; than i would not have to drive a taxi at all anymore.
To be judged by actions of others.....this is one thing I will never get used to cabbyman...

But my cab is my place of business, and people know I am all about respect, the second they walk in...I make sure they do...after that if they are still in their own little world, I'll let them stay there and start feeling sorry for them for living such a miserable life ;))))

Ninjahedge
June 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

As you stated: At 5P (the start of the afternoon rush) is when all the cabbies are switching cabs and gassing up so they are missing out on the start of the rush hour period.

Agreed. It was difficult finding a cab when getting out of work a bit early. There were times we needed to get to Port Authority leaving at about 5pm and it took forever to get a cab. It was faster to take the subway than to wait for a cab to take us strait up Hudson to 8th avenue!

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM

I think the problem is not as big as we like to think. Now days, with the dollar surcharge that kicks in at 4pm, most cabs are trying their best to minimuze the time it takes to change shift.. In my opnion certain times of the day, you could double the amount of cabs, it still wont be enough...
it will always be difficult to hail one in residential neighborhoods in the morning rush and business district in the evening rush...

I do have ideas on how to improve the availibility of cabs but thats a totaly new thread:p

milleniumcab
June 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
[quote=milleniumcab]----There are a few woman, driving a cab. You got to be real lucky to get one:)))

Well... I met a woman cab driver only once in my life...
I was in Rome and she took me to the airport... believe me guys... she looked like a man and, waiting for my luggage she smoked cigars too!!!:eek:

:)))))) LMAO

NyC MaNiAc
June 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Most of my cab experiences have been pleasant enough. No real complaints.

But, I do have one fun story.

I was walking along the streets, close to Times Square, and at a small intersection was prepared to walk across the street...

There was one car stopped about to take a right hand turn...

And there was a cab, going about 40mph, that was coming up along behind him, and the weirdest thing happened...

He didn't slow down.

He plowed right into the other cars back and I nearly got smacked by the momentum of the first car jerking through the intersection.

I remember the cab had a passenger in the backseat who very calmy took off his seatbelt, opened up the door, cursed his driver, and walked away.

God, I love this city.

milleniumcab
June 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I remember the cab had a passenger in the backseat who very calmy took off his seatbelt, opened up the door, cursed his driver, and walked away.

God, I love this city.

Now that's NEW YORK...:)

antinimby
June 10th, 2006, 02:04 AM
What's there to love? And what's so New York about it?
Lousy driving, inattentive and/or aggressive drivers can be found everywhere.

antinimby
June 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM
CABBIES UN-FARE TO PASSENGERS: CITY

By ERIN CALABRESE

June 9, 2006 (http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/cabbies_un_fare_to_passengers__city_regionalnews_e rin_calabrese.htm) -- Two Queens cabbies were arrested when they really took their customers for a ride - overcharging them for a trip to Brooklyn from Kennedy Airport, police said.
Emmanuel Cotin, 49, and Serge Fouyolle, 60, allegedly charged the riders - who were working as undercover investigators from the city's Department of Investigation - more than 21/2 times the proper fare.

Although a flat-rate of $45 plus tolls applies for rides from JFK to Manhattan, trips from the airport to other boroughs are metered.

The men were part of a group of 13 taxi drivers who were issued violations by the DOI on Tuesday for charges ranging from failure to show Taxi and Limousine Commission licenses to overcharging passengers.

The two hacks were charged with misdemeanors after undercover DOI agents posed as non-English-speaking tourists and asked to be taken to Brooklyn with a handwritten note.

The cases will be referred to the Queen's County District Attorney's Office for charges of fraudulent accosting and petit larceny. If convicted, both men could face up to a year in jail.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

milleniumcab
June 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
What's there to love? And what's so New York about it?

It is the humor in the whole sceene.That's what's to love and that's soooo New York..:)

milleniumcab
June 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
CABBIES UN-FARE TO PASSENGERS: CITY

By ERIN CALABRESE

June 9, 2006 (http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/cabbies_un_fare_to_passengers__city_regionalnews_e rin_calabrese.htm) -- Two Queens cabbies were arrested when they really took their customers for a ride

They deserve everything that's coming to them, greedy bastards.

antinimby
June 10th, 2006, 04:01 PM
It is the humor in the whole sceene.That's what's to love and that's soooo New York..:)And I'm trying to say that type of scene is not atypical in New York only.

milleniumcab
June 11th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Which sceene do you mean; 1) a car hitting another one or 2) the passenger of a cab calmly gets out and walks away as he curses the driver , after an accident..

The first one is definitely not atypical of NYC but the second one is. :)

I think you just missed the whole damn thing.

ThisIsntMyRealName
July 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Cabbyman, Millineum, how's business these days?

Gregory Tenenbaum
July 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
Which sceene do you mean; 1) a car hitting another one or 2) the passenger of a cab calmly gets out and walks away as he curses the driver , after an accident..

The first one is definitely not atypical of NYC but the second one is. :)

I think you just missed the whole damn thing.

How many accidents a day Millenium?

At a rough guess?

(Not all caused by the cabbies, Im sure).

Gunslinger
July 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Not had too many experiences with NYC cabbies - but those I have have been ok

The 5pm shift change may explain the problem my friends & I had getting a cab to JFK from midtown at about 4-30pm one day a couple of years ago.
Guess if we waited til after 5pm it shouldn't have been a problem, ride out to airport and assuming a fair gaurantee of a fare back.

Last few times we've caught cabs driver been on cell the entire journey, little or no English spoken and only time he addressed us (after saying we said "hi" etc) was
Where do you want to go?
What cross street?

Not unpleasant by any stretch of the imagination - but not the most welcome ride into your city either - HOWEVER not remotely convinced it would be any better anywhere else in the world

eddhead
August 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Most of my experiences with cabbies have been pleasant enough. Some are quiet, others respond in kind when you attempt to talk with them. If any do not initiate conversations on their own, it is likely because they are either uncomfortable with their command of the language, or would not presume that passengers prefer idle chatter over a moment of solitude.

I use cabs fairly frequently and seldom encounter drivers with poor attitudes. You get back what you put in.

IMO we should cut them some slack. These guys have the toughest job in the city. In addition to the stress of driving around the city all day, they lease cars from medallion owners at fairly hefty rates, and earn little in return. For the most part long hours are required just to break even, and 12 hour shifts are the norm.

The deck is stacked against them. On one hand market conditions drive the price they pay to lease the cars. The medallion owners can pretty much charge what they want to lease their cars as long as there is demand for drivers and lets face it, right now there is demand. On the the other, price restrictions control what they can charge even when consumer demand would dictate higher pricing. And they do not have the option of rejecting fares for better opportunities. They get all the downside of market pricing but none of the up.

Go to LGA sometime and take a look at the taxi que. It is ridiculous. I have no idea how these people are able to earn enough to live on.

Finally, despite some of what is written here, for the most part, I find the drivers to be fairly knowledgeable about the city and the fastest way to get around it. And I do believe the city requires training and testing .Occasionally this proves not to be the case. Once in a while a driver will suggest the FDR when I am on Lex or something, that always annoys me, but that stuff is pretty rare. If riding in a cab is not always a great value, blame the Medallion owners, they are the ones making the killing. Cabbies do not earn extravagant incomes.

I agree it is not London, but generally these guys do good work.

Alonzo-ny
August 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
If breaking even was so hard wouldn't there be more cabbies who make the extra effort to be friendly and helpful? Or to even just not be on their phones. The average for me was silence or they were on the phone. I met one friendly cabbie in my time in the city, who was delighted to help me with a large load I had, he received a large tip.

KenNYC
August 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'd say 9 out of 10 cabbies are nice and pleasant. Most of them talk on phones, but I don't really mind that as long as they are paying attention when I enter and when I want to leave their cab. I've had some great conversations with the ones that aren't on the phones. One of my cabbies just a few weeks ago was a former "semi-pro" chess player that spoke 7 languages fluent (I tested him, he wasn't BSing). Not surprisingly, he was Russian:) Anyway, I think generally they are good, and driving hasn't been too bad. I've had few, if any, cabbies that drive more aggressively than I do myself, so maybe that colors my perspective.

Fabrizio
August 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I only had a conversation once with a cabbie... it was a million years ago when there were still old time NY cab drivers and Checker cabs. It was at night and I was traveling alone. I noticed that the driver seemed to be staring at me and a couple of times he seemed to turn around to look at me. When we got to my stop, I paid with tip and he looked right at me and said: "you have a good night Mr. O'Neil". What? He was convinced he had Ryan O'Neil in his cab.

If any cab driver said that to me today, I'd probably commit suicide.

ablarc
August 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Our esteemed forumer before and after?:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nndb.com/people/101/000024029/ryan-oneal-2-sized.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nndb.com/people/101/000024029/&usg=__wbVJSYKhWUC3m2RMSNAJnvrayUs=&h=272&w=216&sz=23&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=G-sPvkwkYgw7fM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dryan%2Bo%2527neal%26hl%3Den%26client% 3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/1eZKvkNmRWi/Ryan+O+Neal+Getting+The+Paper/-NoEeIjs_Vj/Ryan+O%27Neal

Fabrizio
August 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Ew. Time does take it's toll but he's like 17 years older than me... we'll see (when he did LoveStory he was supposed to be 18 but was 30). I used to get Ryan O'Neal a lot... today occasinally I hear Alec Baldwin:

http://www.usmagazine.com/files/baldwin_blog.jpg

Or Jeff Bridges in the Great Lebowski

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/1/3/8/4/22774831-22774833-large.jpg

It depends on the length of my hair and how much I've been drinking.

--

Ryan O'Neal in better days (I love the lyrics to this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_J4E4_-1o&feature=related

--

lineupguy
August 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
I only had a conversation once with a cabbie... it was a million years ago when there were still old time NY cab drivers and Checker cabs. It was at night and I was traveling alone. I noticed that the driver seemed to be staring at me and a couple of times he seemed to turn around to look at me. When we got to my stop, I paid with tip and he looked right at me and said: "you have a good night Mr. O'Neil". What? He was convinced he had Ryan O'Neil in his cab.

If any cab driver said that to me today, I'd probably commit suicide.

I would prefer if the taxi driver kept his eyes on the road and helped me with my bags and lets me be.

It's always a pleasure when that happens.

Fabrizio
August 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
^ 30 years ago it was a pleasure to be confused with Ryan O'Neal. Believe me.

---

I have an Italian friend whose English is only so-so... he asked a cab driver if he could be taken downtown, the driver responded "jump in!" My friend loved that... some crazy American slang he had not learned from his English lessons. "Jump in!" He says it for everything... if you knock on his door he will tell you to "jump in!"

--

DKNY617
August 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Haha that Jump In story was cute.

Speaking of cute, I see to have a liking for cabbies and find a lot of them quite hot. Dunno why. :confused: :D

stache
August 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Back in the old days it was a lot of fun to pick them up, if the bars were slow. ;)

Fabrizio
August 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
True story: my friend from Brooklyn was going home one night from Manhattan. He chatted up the cab driver... an Arab... Tunisian ... Algerian or something like that. He invited the driver up to his apartment. They drank. My friend made some moves and the driver got violent and tried to rape him.

My friend could not really press charges or anything like that but the experience left him devastated. So he contacted a therapist he had seen a few years ago to at least talk over what had happened. My friend went down to the street to hail a cab to go to his appointment. He got in and while riding noticed that the driver taking him to his therapist appointment was the very guy who tried to rape him: "I was sitting there having the biggest panic attack of my life.... needless to say, I did not tip him!"

DKNY617
August 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Damn stache, guess I was just born too late after the good old days. :D

And that is horrible Fabrizio! Hopefully your friend is better now, out of all the cabs and people in the city, he just had to get the same guy again, fate is cruel!

I'm actually "seeing" a cab driver at the moment, but that's a story for another time and website. lol.

NewYorkDoc
August 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
I don't see why they have to drive like maniacs. I was in a cab last night when it was pouring and you'd think the rain would slow him down. Nope. He drove as if everyone was out to cut him off. It's funny when you first come to NYC and witness it, but after a while it gets old.

Maximus
August 23rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Hello there! I was a cab driver 10 years ago in the city of New York. I get my licence from TLC in 1994 and I was driving Ford crown for 3 years in the city.I wonna ask cab drivers about the money they are making today.Buck to the old days I was making:monday-80 $,thu-80,wed-100,thu-100,fri-120,sat-150.Sundays I was of duty.What about today bussines,did the cab drivers are making the same money or more?Can anybody answer me that? Thanks guys!

Fabrizio
August 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
If u cn reed this, u coud bee a cab drivr

DKNY617
August 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Turns out my Taxi driver is one Kinky man. :rolleyes:

Fabrizio
August 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Turns out my Taxi driver is one Kinky man. :rolleyes:

Which brings us back to the original question at the start of the thread:

Maximus
August 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
There is no cab drivers in this forum? None of any?

stache
August 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
We had a pedicab driver a while back.

NYatKNIGHT
August 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Member milleniumcab is a taxi driver and frequent contributor to the forum's New York Taxi (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4136&page=28) thread, which in retrospect is probably where this discussion should have taken place.

DKNY617
August 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Which brings us back to the original question at the start of the thread:

Mostly bumpy and fast. :D

Visionist
November 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
...first time poster. Let me say I am fixated with NYC as of late and would love to pay an extensive visit in the near future.

So about taxicabs; is it possible to ride up front? If you get into the front is it a bit weird for the driver?

lofter1
November 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
A cab will carry up to four passengers. In that case one would sit up front. When cabbing alone I've never asked to sit in the front seat.

Visionist
November 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
More for the view through the windscreen than anything else :D

Makes it easier to converse aswell if the driver speaks English.

KenNYC
November 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
A cab driver, in any city or country does not want you up front unless it's necessary due to space.

If riding alone, you should be in the back, on the right side of the car (or vice versa in a country with right hand drivers position).

In short, you should be where the cab driver is able to have eye contact with you in the mirror.

injcsince81
November 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/injcsince81/travis-bickle.jpg

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/injcsince81/travis-bickle1.jpg