PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with smoking (and women?)

English Si 49
July 12th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I'm coming to the great NY in September. I'm really looking forward to it but what's the deal with smoking?

I know I can't smoke in bars, clubs or anywhere indoors but what about outside?

Are people going to roll their eyes or 'tut' audibly if they see me smoking? Are we that ostracised?

(I'm still a good person)

My other major concern is women? What's the deal with them in NY? Where's the best (types of) place to hook up?

Ninjahedge
July 12th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Smoking is just intrusive.

And smokers were the minority that made the majority of people put up with what they were doing for years, so there is a resentment against them for nothing more than them smoking. (Although having butts all over the sidewalk is also not an amenity....)

As for the best places to 'hook up', GL on that one. You can try the East Village or Lower East side for the developing hipster scene, but aside from that it is hard to find any one place or area.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Schadenfrau
July 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I don't think anyone will give you flak for smoking. It takes a real loser to complain about it.

Ninjahedge
July 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't think anyone will give you flak for smoking. It takes a real loser to complain about it.

Depends.

On where and how.....

ZippyTheChimp
July 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Are people going to roll their eyes or 'tut' audibly if they see me smoking? Are we that ostracised?
I assume you mean smoking where it's legal.

No reasonable person is going to care if you smoke standing outside a bar, or walking down the street, or sitting on a park bench.

itsallgoode9
July 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
The one thing I say you watch out for is not smoking when walking down the sidewalk while it's crowded. You won't hear remarks or anything, but if it's rush hour and you're smoking a cigarette walking down a street, it's inevitable that somebody behind you is gonna get hit with your 2nd hand smoke.....and that's not a fun thing. I smoke socially when i'm drinking (which yes, that technically means i'm a smoker, i know....i'm in denial) but I even get a bit "eh" when I breathe in somebody's smoke when i'm walking home from work.

Just be aware of other people around you...not everybody might not want your (or mine as well, i have been guilty of forgetting to think about that) smoke.

other than that, your fine, a ton of people in NY smoke.

Ninjahedge: not to step on your toes at all, but a short blanket statement saying "smoking is intrusive" is not the best way to say your point on the issue. The view that you have on the issue is 100% valid, but it's probably not the best way to express it when communicating on a forum.

ZippyTheChimp
July 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ninjahedge: not to step on your toes at all, but a short blanket statement saying "smoking is intrusive" is not the best way to say your point on the issue.If someone believes that "smoking is intrusive," how else should they express it?

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
IAG9...

Just explaining why people do not seem to like smokers, giving the roll-eyes and stuff.

Some habits/behaviors are more intrusive than others. Smoking is very intrusive in that it effects others directly and there is no way for them to really control it (not all people carry fans) other than to ban yourself from participating or attending anything that a smoker might be attending.

The answer was always "If you do not like it, you do not have to go." Which was hard, because the "it" was rarely what you were going for in the first place. (Beer, concert, etc).

/me shrugs.

itsallgoode9
July 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
next time i'm on my roof having a cigarette I'll consider that fact that i'm being intrusive to you. Apparently i'm a bad person and intruding on your personal space, as well as all of Manhattan's as soon as I light a cigarette. ;)

It's just that somebody was asking about the etiquette of smoking in Manhattan and instead telling the poster how to do it in courteous manner that doesn't intrude on people's space, you went on a tangent about how smokers are intrusive.

Just thought it could have been said better, in a more helpful manner rather than a scolding one. no biggie.

ZippyTheChimp
July 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
^
Now, that's different.

What you're saying is that Ninjahedge shouldn't have, err, intruded in the thread. :)

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
next time i'm on my roof having a cigarette I'll consider that fact that i'm being intrusive to you.

But are you getting looks from people that judge you when you smoke on the roof?

No. Go back and read context.

Apparently i'm a bad person and intruding on your personal space, as well as all of Manhattan's as soon as I light a cigarette. ;)

When you are on the street, as you have mentioned before, or a place where other people are congregating (as 99% of smokers do) then yes. You are. (intruding)

Siting the small percentage of people that smoke only in their own residences or "on the roof" is an odd conditional exception that does not apply well to my general statement and assertation of why you may be "ostracised".

It's just that somebody was asking about the etiquette of smoking in Manhattan and instead telling the poster how to do it in courteous manner that doesn't intrude on people's space, you went on a tangent about how smokers are intrusive.

No. I talked about how people might interpret him/her if they were to smoke and why. It was an explanation of the context of where they might get "people ... to roll their eyes or 'tut' audibly if they see me smoking".

Just thought it could have been said better, in a more helpful manner rather than a scolding one. no biggie.

Then you did not read it right. You read it with your own voice and thought I was scolding. I was just explaining why people do not care for it.

Sometimes when you read a post of someone you do not know, you have to read it in a neutral manner, not in the manner you are used to people saying things of similar nature.

itsallgoode9
July 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
i was saying the rooftop reference in jest. sorry for making such a big deal, i'll keep to myself next time.

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
i was saying the rooftop reference in jest. sorry for making such a big deal, i'll keep to myself next time.

Nah, don't worry about it man.

Like I said, I am just telling you, or her, or both, where this is coming from.

Personally, I do not like smoking myself, but I do not hate smokers that respect the people around them. AAMOF, I respect THEM because they are going against the norm and a bit out of their way to try to keep the people around them happy.

The ones that I do not care for are usually the ones that not only do not try at all, but will go out of their way to "indulge in their freedoms" at the expense of those around them.

But whatever. No worries.

Xemu
July 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
As a smoker in NYC I would say it's definitely bad form to lite up a cigarette on a crowded sidewalk. Beyond the second hand smoke you run a pretty good risk of burning someone with the cherry. Standing and smoking outside a bar, or off to the side in general, isn't gonna bother anyone. Also, there's quite a few bars in the city where you can still smoke late at night. Just ask the bartender before you light up!