PDA

View Full Version : Policy regarding the use of quotes

Edward
July 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Wired New York Forum members must follow certain guidelines regarding their posts in order for the forum to be easily readable and accessible by others. One of the aspects of making the forum user friendly is the proper use of quotes. Here I set down the rules regarding quoting.

1. The purpose of quoting is to make clear to which previous poster the post refers to or to which phrase of the previous poster it refers to.

2. Improper use of quoting negatively affects usability of the forum for other forum members.

3. If you are replying to a last post, there is not need to use quotes, since it would be assumed that your post refers to that last post.

4. If you need only to make apparent to which previous poster you are answering, consider the use of expressions of the type “In regards to the post of So-and-so above…” and “As So-and-so so eloquently remarked in his post…” instead of quoting.

5. Quoting entire post is not acceptable, unless such post is a short sentence.

6. When making a quote, leave only relevant sentence in the quote, deleting the rest. The length of the quote should never exceed one sentence.

muscle1313
July 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Telling people how to quote is very condescending in my opinion. Nothing personal Edward.

Edward
July 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Perhaps to you it's a trivial skill, but many members use quoting in such a way that it reduces the readability of the forums, and it has to be addressed.

muscle1313
July 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Didn't mean it that way Edward. Meant you are being condescending by limiting the way people can use quotes. You can argue its for readability purposes. I think its insulting to your posters. Just my opinion. Nothing personal. Its your forum. I run a forum as well. Would never think of doing that.

ZippyTheChimp
July 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM
How is instructing posters not to quote entire articles previously posted, rather than just stating in reference to the article, condescending or insulting?

It is just forum structure - the same as limiting the size of images.

Muscle13
July 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Everybody has their own style of posting and no one style is correct or incorrect. To tell people quotes should be just one sentence long is dictating posting style. Everybody has their own tastes. I sure don't mind whole quotes of posts personally. Somebody else might think quoting is totally unnecessary. To dictate style is certainly limiting to a poster and telling him or her there is a wrong style and a right style. Just not true. We all have individual tastes. No big deal. Its not my forum.

muscle1313
July 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
oops used an old screen name. Sorry about that. I had trouble logging in with that name years ago so I changed it. Sorry.

ZippyTheChimp
July 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Everybody has their own style of posting and no one style is correct or incorrect.
Foreigners post here. It may be more in their style to post in their native language, but English is required to post in this forum.

You are not being asked to change what you have to say, only they way you present what others have already posted.

I would agree if you said it was easier to just hit the quote button rather than cut and paste a sentence, but it's not insulting.

krulltime
July 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
also Quoting a lot (especially a big articles) takes alot of space in the server that is been use.

Maybe that is one of the reasons for not using alot of Quotes... at least that is my understanding.

muscle1313
July 14th, 2005, 12:21 PM
You are not being asked to change what you have to say, only they way you present what others have already posted.

Presentation is an individual style. Will you ask us all to have perfect grammar next? Will I ever be limited to one paragraph posts, one sentence posts, or one word quotes? Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam? I understand this is not a big deal but I find it very insulting to posters to dictate presentation. No one style is better than any other style. Just because Edward likes one sentence quotes doesn't mean I do. Its individual tastes. I would never tell a poster how to present their posts whether I hated it or loved it.

I have run into many posters in forums that can't spell well. Is it tough to read sometimes? Yes. Do these posts detract from a message board? Not in my opinion. Some of the best, most informative posts I have ever read on forums have had a ton of misspelled words. I would never even consider telling these posters to write more clearly. Never.

Edward
July 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam?
That is a splendid idea! That would be a wonderful way to make the discourse friendlier - each quotation would have to be accompanied by something like "My dear fellow, in response to your remark..." - I will have to work out the exact expression.

muscle1313
July 14th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Funny.

Off topic Edward. Do you think friendlier forums makes for better forums? Things do get out of hand sometimes, but I find arguments do tend to make forums much more informative.

ZippyTheChimp
July 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Will you ask us all to have perfect grammar next? Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam?
Conjecture on any future rules has no bearing on this one rule.

And you still miss the point. The "rules" you fear might be initiated have nothing to do with how you would present your thoughts. You are merely being asked not to repeat something that was already presented.

Some forums allow threads to meander off topic. We try to discourage that here, but it does not mean that the post is inappropriate. It is in the wrong place.

Are these rules insulting? No one else has complained.

As for whether these rules produce a worthwhile forum, I think the result speaks for itself.

muscle1313
July 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=ZippyTheChimp]

Are these rules insulting? No one else has complained.

[QUOTE]

Thats fine Zippy. That quote from you is good enough for me to leave the forum for good. Take care guys. Its been fun.

ryan
July 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I know text alone is a very inadequate way to communicate, but wow, I don't follow this at all. What's the subtext? What's the backstory? So much intrigue from what's on the thread...

Jasonik
July 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
As for whether these rules produce a worthwhile forum, I think the result speaks for itself.
I concur my dear fellow.

Edward, mdf, this should be sticky: Forum rules of conduct (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29381&postcount=6)

BrooklynRider
July 15th, 2005, 10:23 AM
...I would never tell a poster how to present their posts whether I hated it or loved it... I would never even consider telling these posters to write more clearly. Never.

The following is a direct quote from Muscle1313 to me:

...You come across as the most pompous, condescending poster I have ever run into on any message board...

Oh, and here is another direct quote from Muscle1313 to me:

Look in the mirror when you talk about obnoxious posting.

Not that he would misrepresent himself or anything. He seems like a decent enough fellow. Just not decent enough for some other moderated forums with rules of conduct, where he wore out his welcome and was banned. But to each his own. Maybe he WASN'T actually telling how to post, whether he hated it or loved it. The exciting thing about all of this is that I finally found I actually need to put someone on my "ignore list".

krulltime
July 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
People need to grow up 'Internetly'

I made that word up... But you get the point...

ryan
July 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
What does the ignore fuction do? Block private messages, or block posts from that member when you read a thread?

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
What does the ignore fuction do? Block private messages, or block posts from that member when you read a thread?

Are you looking to ignore me?

Your loss. :)

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_buddy_explain

Lazy boy.

brianac
April 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Wired New York Forum members must follow certain guidelines regarding their posts in order for the forum to be easily readable and accessible by others. One of the aspects of making the forum user friendly is the proper use of quotes. Here I set down the rules regarding quoting.

1. The purpose of quoting is to make clear to which previous poster the post refers to or to which phrase of the previous poster it refers to.

2. Improper use of quoting negatively affects usability of the forum for other forum members.

3. If you are replying to a last post, there is not need to use quotes, since it would be assumed that your post refers to that last post.

4. If you need only to make apparent to which previous poster you are answering, consider the use of expressions of the type “In regards to the post of So-and-so above…” and “As So-and-so so eloquently remarked in his post…” instead of quoting.

6. When making a quote, leave only relevant sentence in the quote, deleting the rest. The length of the quote should never exceed one sentence.

I am breaking the rules here, by posting the entire quote, but I thought it is important to remind posters of these guidelines.

Recently there have been consecutive postings where the whole of a previous article has been quoted including several photographs.

I don't know about others, but I find it confuses the flow of the thread.

stache
April 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I think in this case you're only bending the rules. I have noticed recently an uptick in quoting directly preceding posts. Speaking for myself, I tend to only edit bad quoting when I come across it at the end of a thread I'm viewing. Otherwise it gets very time consuming for me.

Ninjahedge
April 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I try to keep it simple, or break up he thing I am quoting as if in conversational response. Sometimes that works, sometimes it only makes for one MONSTER long post.

I think people are just forgetting the rule and are getting lazy about it....

No real offront meant by any, but good of you to remind us of the original intent....

brianac
February 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Sorry to bring this up again, but once again it seems to have gotten out of control.

I mean THIS (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=316941&postcount=5047) is ridiculous.

Alonzo-ny
February 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
I agree. I just edited that post before reading this thread. I'm afraid that link is now redundant. Any posts which break the rules should be flagged.

brianac
February 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Alonzo.

ForestHillsGardens
February 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
I really believe certain parts of this rule seems a little bit 'conflicting on each other'. I know quotes should be right on point while I sometimes also would answer that particular post's entirety. Sometimes it would exceed one sentence. I feel that Rule 5. & 6. should be changed to 'Quote only the sentences you are responding to, do not quote in media content such as photos, videos and images.'

Alonzo-ny
February 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
If you are responding to a whole post you can simply state which post you are responding to.

ForestHillsGardens
February 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
@Alonzo-ny:

It better be easy because I do not want to say 'Reply to post 235 of User123'. I sometimes feel quoting someone's post would make a conversation more 'narrowed-down' and 'clear'...

stache
February 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM
It's not always what the individual wants, but what serves the group best.

Alonzo-ny
February 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM
@Alonzo-ny:

It better be easy because I do not want to say 'Reply to post 235 of User123'. I sometimes feel quoting someone's post would make a conversation more 'narrowed-down' and 'clear'...

You can word it any way you like. @ Alonzo, @ Post 123, Re: Post 123, etc. The rules are no quoting entire posts.

lofter1
February 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The "Multi Quote" function icon serves the purpose perfectly (it's the quote mark seen to the right of the "Quote" icon).
Once the quoted text has been chosen then delete everything superfluous in the quoted text, leaving only the pertinent parts:

... simply state which post you are responding to.

@Alonzo-ny:

It better be easy ...

... word it any way you like ...

The info on how to use the quote functions is found HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_replying).

Replying to a Post

If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button . This button will change to indicate that you've selected it. Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted.

ForestHillsGardens
February 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM
@Alonzo:
Only one misunderstanding, Do I refer to the post # on the top left cornor of the post or I have to count by how many posts a particular user posted on a thread?

scumonkey
February 25th, 2010, 12:57 AM
The post # is on the top right- next to the little exclamation point in a red outlined triangle.
This is post #35

Alonzo-ny
February 25th, 2010, 05:45 AM
@Alonzo:
Only one misunderstanding, Do I refer to the post # on the top left cornor of the post or I have to count by how many posts a particular user posted on a thread?

There is no set rule for this, just whatever you find easiest. In my opinion it is easy to @username or @ post #36. However it is up to you.

ZippyTheChimp
February 25th, 2010, 08:22 AM
@ForestHillsGardens:

The quote button generates an icon - http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif - a link to the full quoted post.

Alonzo-ny
February 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Very interesting, I never noticed that before.

ForestHillsGardens
February 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
@Alonzo-ny:
Thanks for the reply, it greatly cleared me up aobut this policy and what to do to follow it, :)!

@Zippy the Chimp:
Never noticed it, thanks for the info, :)!

Ninjahedge
February 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Very interesting, I never noticed that before.

Ditto.......

Pun not intended.... ;)

Alonzo-ny
February 28th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Now its the only thing I see!