PDA

View Full Version : This is driving me nuts!!!

softsecret
July 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I lived in NYC five years ago and was taken to a place in Brooklyn for a wonderful sandwich. It was a little bitty place that you walked up to the front to order. They sold roast beef sandwiches that they guy carved off a huge roast. Then after he put the meat on the HUGE roll, he dipped the whole thing down into a big vat of broth. The whole thing was dripping with beef juice and then he added cheese and onions, to mine. OMG!!! this was the most delicious thing I have ever had in my mouth. I dont know where I was or what the street was named, but I would love to know where it was. One day, and I'm not just dreaming, I WILL go back and have another one of those things!!!

Oh, and I also ordered mozzerella cheese sticks with homemade Marinara. I was told the owner makes the cheese sticks homemade also... Help!!!

ZippyTheChimp
July 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Brooklyn roast beef.

Gotta be Bensonhurst.

Monte's
Ave O near Bay Parkway

The Hero King
Stillwell Ave and Ave T

NoyokA
July 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I would be interested in finding out where this place exists too. What you are describing is a French dipped sandwich and it is seldom perfected but when it is it is otherworldly. The best sandwich I ever had was a French dip sandwich (sorry Katz's) at the very place that invented it, Phillippe the Original Restaurant. Phillippe is unfortunately in Los Angeles, in what is my favorite neighborhood not far from downtown. The restaurant established in 1908 had since moved but they still have woodchips scattered on the floor to absorb moisture, although it has since become part of the expierence. The process you described was originated there, they have an array of meats that they carve in front of you straight from the bone, they stack it high and then dip in its own broth. At the tables is quite possibly the best and spiciest mustard around, the entire experience is overwhelming. If this place is half as good as Phillippe’s Ill be there on a moments notice.

softsecret
July 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
zippy...those names dont sound familiar. I would know the name if I heard it. You say that it has to be Bensonhurst and that may be right. I remember travelling down a street that had an elevated train and my boyfriend saying that John Travolta filmed Saturday Night Fever there. This was after we ate and left the place. So maybe it is Bensonhurst. But the names of the place that you mention doesnt sound right.

Stern... I only hope I can find the name of this place. If the stupid boyfriend hadnt turned out to be uhmmm... nevermind... :) I will post here whenever I do find out so you can have one of those roast beefs...

L&O... i lived in Queens in Floral Park. We drove the expressway and visited a million different places in Brooklyn, (where he was born and raised) so that wouldnt help. He also took me to Roll n" Roasters (sp?) for a turkey sandwich earlier in the day, which while it was good, it didnt even come close to this other place.

This is beginning to feel hopeless.... ;(

softsecret
July 17th, 2005, 08:46 PM
something about "Dunham" sounds familiar. and something else...it seems like the name repeats its name. Like "Dunham and Dunham" or something like that. Maybe not either.... lol... I'm sorry, I dont really know...

ZippyTheChimp
July 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Well, at least now we know the location - The subway EL runs along 86th St. It bends onto Stillwell Ave right where the 2nd place I mentioned is located, which is also known as John's Deli.

We need more clues.

softsecret
July 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Brenham?? Brannan and Brannan? God, I almost got it!!! Its something like that... I brought home a cup from there...a souvineer. I threw it away!!! Brenner and Brenner??? geez... you are so sweet trying to help Zippy!!!

ZippyTheChimp
July 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Brennan & Carr.

It was built in the 1930s, when the area was still rural, on the old Gravesend Neck Road (at Nostrand Ave). I don't know if it is still done, but when I was a teenager, the beef was marinated in beer.

It is nowhere near the sites where Saturday Night Fever was filmed, and there are no Els nearby.

softsecret
July 18th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Brennan & Carr.

It was built in the 1930s, when the area was still rural, on the old Gravesend Neck Road (at Nostrand Ave). I don't know if it is still done, but when I was a teenager, the beef was marinated in beer.

It is nowhere near the sites where Saturday Night Fever was filmed, and there are no Els nearby.

Thats IT!!!! yayyy! thank you so much for finding this for me. Its no where near the sites??? To tell you the truth most of that night is such a blur for me. I was so excited being in NYC and Brooklyn that I dont remember too much else! Where exactly is it? It seemed to be in a really bad area or at least poor area. What section of Brooklyn is it in? Do you like those sandwiches? I am going to go look it up... thank you so much Chimpy! I knew if anyone could find this place it would be you guys.... thanks again!

fioco
July 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM
When you go out of your way to help someone, Zippy, it restores my faith in humanity. Then I remember that you're a chimp!