PDA

View Full Version : Stamford, CT

pianoman11686
July 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM
City's Success Built on Power to Seize Land

By PETER APPLEBOME

Stamford, Conn.

THE signs all over town herald Stamford as "The City That Works," a predictable enough bit of local boosterism with the added advantage of being mostly true - especially downtown, where Stamford's business district is by far the biggest success story in a state known for wealthy suburbs and distressed cities.

There are a lot of reasons Stamford has done so well, with about 15 million square feet of office space under rent, most notably the home of the giant UBS international investment bank lured from Manhattan. But one of them stands out: Since the 1960's the city has been using its power of eminent domain, mostly in the 130 acres in its southeast quadrant, to take private property, assemble developable megaparcels and eventually turn them into the glistening, somewhat antiseptic downtown business district that is doing so well today.

In the overheated petri dish of outrage that is American politics, there was something quite familiar about the calls for doing something, anything, immediately, yesterday, about the 5-4 Supreme Court decision last month that upheld the taking of private homes through eminent domain up Interstate 95 in New London. But as Connecticut legislators ponder calls for severe curbs on eminent domain, the experience in Stamford may say more about the issues than the overheated public debate.

So while you can find cases of eminent domain applied in questionable ways, with New London perhaps one of them, almost lost in the public fulminating is that for cities having to compete with the vast acres of suburban sprawl, eminent domain is often the one effective way they can do it.

The decision touched off the usual outrage over activist judges. Gov. M. Jodi Rell compared the "five robed justices" (it would be better if they disrobed?) to the king of England before the American Revolution. But skeptics say the ruling was the opposite of judicial activism, with the court declining to overturn state laws and local practices.

"This wasn't activist judges taking the laws into their own hands," said Mayor Dannel P. Malloy of Stamford. "But talk radio has turned this whole thing upside down."

NOT that there aren't important issues in New London, where 15 homeowners were holding out against a sprawling hotel and conference project to be built by a private developer, or elsewhere, like outside Syracuse where small business owners have fought to protect their businesses from being taken for the highly speculative DestiNY USA megaproject. At issue are cases of eminent domain not for roads or schools, but for private economic development projects promoted as having substantial public benefit.

But officials with Connecticut cities and towns say the ones most at risk in this dispute are not homeowners, facing the infinitesimal risk their homes might be taken for a competing use, but cities facing declining tax bases and competition from suburbs with large inventories of available dirt.

"You can't run an assembly line around some guy's porch. You can't have a building with six wings on it. Cities have to have some way to assemble rational pieces of land or there's no way they can compete with suburbs," said Michael W. Freimuth, Stamford's director of economic development.

Robert M. Ward, the Connecticut House minority leader, says it is not that simple, that private developers can assemble properties on their own without eminent domain, and that it is never appropriate to take property from one owner, be it homeowner or business, for another. And, he said, there is a practical as well as a moral issue: Too often projects turn out to be duds.

"More often than not the projects are failures," he said. "It's a fast, easy, lazy, unfair way of taking people's property."

But it would be hard to prove that in Stamford, where the biggest downside may be too much traffic and growth. Michael Lawlor, co-chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said there are many issues worth reviewing - whether there should be a requirement that eminent domain be limited to properties in "blighted areas," and how to make that determination, whether there should be different standards for residences than businesses, and what proper compensation levels are. But those questions are better dealt with in a deliberative fashion than a post-ruling panic, he said.

In Texas, for example, state senators rushed together a bill limiting eminent domain only to find, gasp, that it might apply to a proposed stadium for the Dallas Cowboys. Bowing to a recognition of what constitutes really important public uses, the proposed stadium was grandfathered in.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Scruffy88
January 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Anyone have an update on new Stamford developments. Last I had heard the Connecticut place 350 footer was still not built and a new parking lot sits on the site making it look like it will never happen. any updates, i dont live up there anymore. curious

vc10
April 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Is Connecticut Place the location opposite the UBS site, by Rt 95? If so, RBS has announced (it's a done deal) that it will place its US HQ there.

It will move folks from Greenwich Capital and from NYC there. Initial employment at the site will number just less than 2000. The site will include what is being billed as the world's largest trading floor (UBS's trading floor currently holds that title). To accommodate the size of the floor, the road north of the site, Richmond Hill Ave, (parallel to I-95) is being moved north about 100 yds, and RBS has bought several plots of land on the other side of the current Richmond Hill Ave.

Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=stamford,+ct&ll=41.047908,-73.543639&spn=0.00606,0.013057&om=1

RBS will be on the north side of I-95, west of Washington Blvd (that curved bit of N. State St shown in the map doesn't actually exist). UBS is on the other side of Washington Blvd. The Stamford train station at Station Place, with an exit on the north of I-95, just east of Washington Blvd.

Stamford train station is going to be very busy. This also, by the way, makes Stamford without question the second-leading I-banking/trading city in the NY area, if not the US. It's the only place outside of Manhattan where two major banks will have major front-office businesses.

Anyone have an update on new Stamford developments. Last I had heard the Connecticut place 350 footer was still not built and a new parking lot sits on the site making it look like it will never happen. any updates, i dont live up there anymore. curious

Scruffy88
April 25th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Awesome. Ive figured CT place was a dead project since they paved over the lot and made it a parking lot.

Thanks VC

Is there any more info on the structure and what size it will be?

ablarc
April 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
...RBS has announced (it's a done deal) that it will place its US HQ there...Stamford train station is going to be very busy.
Transit-oriented development at its best. Fill up those outbound morning trains with reverse commuters.

Scruffy88
May 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
stamford is awesome. and if midtown manhattan continues to have rents between 75-100 bucks per square foot, more companies are going to be priced out of Manhattan and straight to Stamford CT

Alonzo-ny
May 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Is Connecticut Place the location opposite the UBS site, by Rt 95? If so, RBS has announced (it's a done deal) that it will place its US HQ there.

Is the rbs you refer to the royal bank of scotland?

czsz
May 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
stamford is awesome.

No comment.

ablarc
May 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM
^ !

Scruffy88
May 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
^ what does that mean? Im not saying its better than NYC or anything, but I do think its awesome. Its bettered itself so much in 20 years, it has a very vibrant nightlife. Several Fortune 500 headquarters and a beautiful location on the sound. Sits right on the interstate 95 corridor and has a major transit center for easy access to NYC and amtraks to Boston. Its about to go through another building boom. I think they have done a good job. Im actually planning on making a documentary about it. But you hear CT and all of a sudden, people start hating on it. Im curious why? Are there reasons or just gut reactions

czsz
May 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm curious as to what there is to Stamford beyond glass boxes hosting the offices of corporations too timid (or perhaps too tax-sheltered) to headquarter themselves in New York. All in all, it really seems like little more than a highly built up office park.

ablarc
May 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM
^ When the documentary comes out, we may find out.

Actually, Scruffy enumerates Stamford's strengths, and they're real enough. Problem is, they're more than vitiated by the truly abominable urban design and the consistently lamentable architecture. Someone needs to completely revise downtown Stamford's zoning ordinance and its design review procedures (if there are any).

Stamford's booming, but it's still nowhere. Reminds me of San Jose.

czsz
May 7th, 2006, 04:05 PM
San Jose has things like a civic centre with landmark architecture and a light rail transit system. It actually seems, to some extent, like a coherent and independent city. Stamford shares no such features.

vc10
May 7th, 2006, 11:56 PM
All true, but Stamford is still unique in Connecticut as basically the only Connecticut city of any size that isn't a failure (unlike Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, etc). No, it's not wonderful, but it's not a failure either.

Probably the biggest thing I would change if I was dictator would be to redevelop the public housing project that separates UBS (and the new HSBC building once it's there) from downtown. UBS gives its employees incentives not to leave the building during the day (e.g. meal subsidies) but even without that, the housing project is in the way of any UBSer who might venture outside... Downtown should be extended towards UBS and HSBC.

San Jose has things like a civic centre with landmark architecture and a light rail transit system. It actually seems, to some extent, like a coherent and independent city. Stamford shares no such features.

czsz
May 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't call other Connecticut cities failures. Not as economically successful, sure, but that's merely one standard of measurement. New Haven is virtually subsidised by Yale but many parts come out looking fine. Plus it has quite a few excellent restaurants...not to mention streetlife period, something which is conspicuously absent from Stamford.

ablarc
May 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, New Haven's pretty nice, but mostly around the University and the Green. Plus a few nice residential areas.

Much of elsewhere...the usual parking lots that characterize sick American cities: symptom and cause at the same time.

czsz
May 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'll take it when it's up against Stamford's glass boxes and parking ramps.

Kris
June 11th, 2006, 04:51 AM
June 11, 2006
In the Region | Connecticut
Donald Trump Wants to Be the Biggest
By LISA PREVOST

http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2006/06/09/realestate/ct.zone.1.600.jpg
Although the design of the 400-foot-high Trump Parc has been praised, some critics think it would be too tall for the lot next to the Target store, above.

STAMFORD

PROLIFERATING condominium developments routinely jam the agendas of Stamford's planning and zoning boards, but few attract as much attention as the Trump Parc tower, now approaching the end of the approval process.

By the weight of its name alone, this proposed tower has generated both intense enthusiasm and sour skepticism about its effect on the city's downtown core. Even more consequential than Donald J. Trump's emergence on the Stamford skyline, however, is the project's proposed height.

The developers — Thomas Rich of Stamford and Louis Cappelli, of White Plains — want to amend Stamford's downtown zoning regulations to allow this residential tower to be built 70 feet taller than the city's current limit of 330 feet. A slender high-rise designed by Costas Kondylis, the architect for Trump World Tower near the United Nations in Manhattan, Trump Parc would sit on a half-acre of now-vacant land next to a Target store at the corner of Washington Boulevard and Broad Street.

Currently, Stamford's tallest structure is Landmark Tower, a commercial building measuring 270 feet. At 400 feet above the sidewalk, Trump Parc would be within the range of two major Trump developments over the New York border in Westchester County: the 350-foot Trump Tower in White Plains and the 435-foot Trump Plaza under construction in downtown New Rochelle.

Yet in downtown Stamford, less ambitious high-rise residential projects have proved notoriously risky. The Classic and the Biltmore apartment buildings were financial flops when they first opened in the late 1980's, noted Richard Redniss, a longtime Stamford land-use consultant and an adviser on the Trump Parc project. Both have been converted to condominiums.

More recently, soaring construction costs have contributed to delays in development of the 18-story Highgrove condominium project on Forest Street. Progress on City Place, a 100-unit building on Washington Boulevard, has also been slow.

Trump Parc's backers are banking on the combination of local expertise with a powerful brand name to enable the project to flourish. The F. D. Rich Company has developed much of downtown Stamford over the last three decades, while Cappelli Enterprises is a partner with Mr. Trump on the White Plains and New Rochelle towers.

The Trump organization will aid in design and marketing. "I don't think it would work without my name," Mr. Trump said. "My name has become so synonymous with great buildings that I sell with people not even seeing what they're buying."

Marketing potential aside, however, city planning officials say they are less impressed with the Trump name than with the building's design. "We're very excited about the architecture of the building," said Robin Stein, chief of the city's land use bureau. "We think it's superb."

Though the Planning Board, downtown merchants and economic development groups have also been effusive, the Zoning Board has been proved more of a hurdle for the project. Members are mulling not whether Stamford is ready for a higher high-rise, but whether the developers have chosen the right spot.

"I'm not against high-rise development," said one member, Harry Parson Jr., who has lived in Stamford for 33 years. "But we have to pick and choose where it's going to be. If it's in the right place, great."

The half-acre Trump Parc site is part of a 2.7-acre parcel that the Rich company owns jointly with Target. The property is landscaped with grass, ornamental trees and park benches, but Mr. Rich said his intent was always to develop the site. Plans call for 185 units, most with one or two bedrooms, averaging about 1,500 square feet.

Bernard Simpkin, a 20-year resident of Stamford who moved from the Upper West Side of Manhattan, said the proposed tower "would look ridiculous" looming over Target and, across the street, the smaller building housing a satellite campus of the University of Connecticut. Mr. Simpkin is among a handful of residents who have complained about the project in letters to the local newspaper, The Advocate. The newspaper's editorial page has urged the Zoning Board to ensure that the project fits the city, "not the other way around."

Mr. Rich says such comments fail to appreciate the project's potential positive contribution to the city. Seven additional stories is a minor tradeoff for the litany of benefits, he said. Aside from a $3.5 million contribution to the city's affordable housing fund and $1 million a year in additional property tax revenue, Trump Parc will bring badly needed housing to a growing downtown, he said.

Building housing downtown will help to relieve the congestion on Connecticut highways by putting commuters within walking distance of the train station, Mr. Rich said.

Growth in the city's financial services industries is also fueling demand for high-quality housing downtown. GE Capital and UBS will soon be joined by the Royal Bank of Scotland, which is expected to bring some 3,000 jobs to Stamford when it completes its North American headquarters on Washington Boulevard.

"The only solution for our desire to nurture and grow and stabilize our commercial base is to provide housing downtown," Mr. Rich said.

Compared with a number of other high-end condominium projects on the drawing boards for downtown, Trump Parc will have a broader market reach, Mr. Rich asserts, because many of its units will be comparatively smaller. Though the average price at Trump Parc is expected to be just under $1 million, some units will be priced as low as $550,000. In contrast, the average price of a home or condo in Stamford exceeds $700,000.

"I don't understand how anybody could be opposed to this," he said.

Still, Mr. Stein, the land use chief, hears the "so-called buzz" on the streets. "Some people think it's a gorgeous building in the wrong place," he said. "Some don't like Trump; some don't want tall buildings period."

Without the extra floors at Trump Parc, the project becomes marginal, Mr. Rich said, because profits from higher-priced units at the top help cover costs.

As for the Zoning Board, members are readying for some long meetings. "There will be some knock-down, drag-out discussions about whether to go ahead with this project," Mr. Parson said.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Even more consequential than Donald J. Trump's emergence on the Stamford skyline, however, is the project's proposed height.
Of course, what else? You could propose a giant dog turd as long as it wasn't high. Oh...they've already been built; Stamford's entirely composed of them.

czsz
June 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Bernard Simpkin, a 20-year resident of Stamford who moved from the Upper West Side of Manhattan, said the proposed tower "would look ridiculous" looming over Target and, across the street, the smaller building housing a satellite campus of the University of Connecticut. Mr. Simpkin is among a handful of residents who have complained about the project in letters to the local newspaper, The Advocate. The newspaper's editorial page has urged the Zoning Board to ensure that the project fits the city, "not the other way around."

I'm glad this NIMBY moved from the UWS to a place where he belongs.

I wonder if all this Trump construction outside the city is encouraging centrifugal tendencies. How about a Trump Tower Brooklyn, Trump Plaza Long Island City, or better yet, Trump Bronx Parc?

TomAuch
June 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
"OMIGOD, a skyscraper will is looming over a TARGET! to the NIMBY-mobile!"

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Got to keep those Targets from being over-loomed!!

Bob
June 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Zoning schmoning. There's no reason for Stamford to impose a height limit, especially downtown. Density promotes mass transit. Besides, the flight patterns at HPN are not a factor over downtown Stamford. The city should approve this project right away.

pianoman11686
September 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
In Connecticut, an Office Hub Resurges

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/05/business/600_office_1.jpg
Expanding companies are filling office towers in Stamford, Conn.

By LISA PREVOST

Published: September 6, 2006

STAMFORD, Conn., Aug. 30 — Lower Fairfield County’s office market has long revolved around this corporate center, a coastal city of roughly 117,000 situated less than an hour from New York City. Yet as the economy lagged, starting several years ago, the city’s dominance was diluted by the loss of a number of companies to locales farther up the I-95 corridor, where the lower cost of living is easier on employees.

But this year, a more vigorous office market throughout the area is signaling Stamford’s resurgence as a major center for financial services. The heart of the activity is downtown, where UBS Warburg’s American headquarters will soon be joined by a 500,000-square-foot building to be occupied by the Royal Bank of Scotland and a subsidiary, RBS Greenwich Capital.

The presence in Stamford of two of the world’s largest banks has an enormous symbolic impact, said Robert Caruso, managing director of the Westchester-Fairfield office of CB Richard Ellis, the big commercial real estate services company. “These are two of the most respected financial services firms in the world saying, ‘I want to grow my business in Fairfield County,’ ” Mr. Caruso said.

The market in Midtown Manhattan, where prices have been rising steadily and there is a shortage of vacant office space, is adding to the momentum, as firms look to expand consider suburban locations.

Demand is also spilling over from Greenwich, where the proliferation of hedge funds and private equity firms has driven rents so high that “they have really turned it into a submarket of Manhattan,” said Judd McArthur, vice president of Cresa Partners, a corporate real estate advisory firm. “For them, it’s about where I want to put my office, not how much the rent is,” he said.

In Stamford, where office vacancies topped 20 percent a year ago, the rate now averages about 13 to 14 percent. Average asking rents in the central business district are up more than $6 a square foot since 2004, to $34.75 a square foot, according to data supplied by CB Richard Ellis. Owners of ultramodern Class A buildings that are closest to the city’s mass transit center report asking rents in the mid-$40’s to upper $50’s.

For Fairfield County as a whole, office vacancy rates have reached a five-year low of 15.6 percent, with leasing activity for the first half of the year totaling 1.6 million square feet, roughly the same as last year, according to a Cushman & Wakefield analysis.

The total square footage leased in Greenwich this year has actually dropped, but this reflects the lack of available space. In the central business district, where space is “almost nonexistent,” average asking rents were up 14 percent over last year, to more than $70 a square foot, for the first half of the year, according to Mr. Caruso.

The market’s intensity is vividly illustrated in the pending sale of Pickwick Plaza, one of Greenwich’s most high-profile office properties. A four-building complex, Pickwick Plaza is under contract to an undisclosed buyer for $230 million, or nearly $1,000 a square foot, according to Scott Landis of the Landis Group, a principal partner in the property along with Broadway Real Estate Partners of New York. The sale price is exactly twice what the partnership paid in June 2002 for the property, which is fully leased; rents are approaching $90 a square foot.

Mr. Landis said he had been talking with several large Manhattan firms about leasing at 400 Atlantic Street, his 15-story office building a block from Stamford’s transit center. Built as the world headquarters for Champion International, the 500,000-square-foot building has undergone about $15 million worth of renovations and enhancements since the Landis Group purchased the property in 2001.

About 75,000 square feet of space is available now, and Mr. Landis said a total of 300,000 square feet would become available within two years, which would represent the largest block of Class A space on the Stamford market. “I’ve seen more activity coming out of Manhattan in the last year than I’ve seen in the last seven or eight years in the market,” Mr. Landis said.

In the last year, 10 companies have relocated part or all of their offices from Manhattan or Greenwich to two Stamford office buildings owned by W&M Properties, according to Jeffrey H. Newman, W&M’s executive vice president. The Bank of Ireland, for instance, leased more than 22,000 square feet for its wholesale financial services and global markets groups at First Stamford Place, an 810,000-square-foot office park a block from the city’s mass transit center. These offices moved from Greenwich.

Morgan & Finnegan, an intellectual property law firm with headquarters at 3 World Financial Center, leased 3,000 square feet at First Stamford Place this year after deciding that it needed an outlying office to service its Connecticut clients better, said Andrew M. Riddles, a partner in the Stamford office. The firm focused on Stamford “as the corporate center of Fairfield County,” he said.

Rents at First Stamford Place are in the upper $40’s a square foot, while rents at W&M’s Metro Center, a 280,000-square-foot property at the transit center, are in the upper $50’s, Mr. Newman said. The company plans to expand its stake in the market with the development of an additional 345,000 square feet of office space on a five-acre site next to Metro Center. “We feel there’s a market for a multitenanted high-performance property,” Mr. Newman said.

Climbing rents and fewer concessions in the central Stamford and Greenwich markets are making space in outlying areas of Stamford and in Norwalk more attractive. “That out-of-downtown product is now aggressively being leased,” said Jim Fagan, senior managing director at Cushman & Wakefield.

The Merritt 7 Corporate Park, a six-building complex in Norwalk with 1.4 million square feet, is 96 percent leased, with asking rents of $34.50 a square foot, according to JoAnn Brennan-McGrath, the director of leasing. “We’re seeing more firms with offices in New York City or Stamford or Greenwich opening offices farther out to cut costs and commute time for employees,” she said.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Scruffy88
September 6th, 2006, 11:45 PM
damn. Greenwich and Stamford have more expensive rents than lower manhattan.

By the way, the trump tower in stamford was officially shot by the local government about a month ago

ionie
September 10th, 2006, 09:59 PM
They've only scaled it back - from 184 condos to 177; from 400 feet to 350; and from 37 stories to 34. http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-trump3sep10,0,4615197.story?coll=stam-news-local-headlines

ablarc
September 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
They've only scaled it back - from 184 condos to 177; from 400 feet to 350; and from 37 stories to 34.
Important to knock those three stories off the top. They might have cast shadows on passing cars.

ionie
September 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
What I want to know is whether or not this Highgrove complex is actually going to happen - it's been a big ugly hole in the ground for about a year!! Anyone know what's going on there? Is it really just a matter of contruction costs or did they go belly up?

liquid4012
November 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't call other Connecticut cities failures. Not as economically successful, sure, but that's merely one standard of measurement. New Haven is virtually subsidised by Yale but many parts come out looking fine. Plus it has quite a few excellent restaurants...not to mention streetlife period, something which is conspicuously absent from Stamford.
When's the last time you were in Stamford? There are plenty of good restaurants and a thriving nightlife. It might not be Greenwich Village but it's hopping. And while I wouldn't call too many other Conn cities failures either I would mention that the city of Bridgeport went into Bankruptcy a few years back and New Haven and Hartford remain financially challenged. Stamford has its problems as well, but the taxes are very low and it's in a great location. It was also named one of the safest cities in America (among cities with populations over 100,000) last year. Although anyone who lives here knows that North Stamford skews that figure a bit and that there are some areas in which you don't want to live. But that's any city.

Bob
January 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Stamford is somewhat of an odd duck. It would seem to have so much potential, but it just misses the mark for the most part. If this is indeed the city that works, then how come it can't pull some muscle with the state and feds to FIX the I-95 mess from here to Bridgeport? Why does Stamford tolerate those threatening SLUMS no more than three blocks west of downtown? And how come Stamford doesn't insist on some sort of walkway OVER I-95, leading from the train station to downtown? My handful of recommendations:

1. Work with the CT DOT and DEMAND that I-95 be widened by one lane in each direction, from Stamford to Bridgeport.
2. Find funding to build a pedestrian overpass, linking the train station to downtown.
3. Increase nighttime street lighting, skipping over high pressure sodium vapor lights in favor of mercury-vapor.
4. Start tearing down the slum just west of town.
5. Remove height restrictions on all buildings; eliminate zoning restrictions on signs and advertisements.
6. Allow advertising signage along I-95. (Restaurants should be able to advertise.)
7. Consider NEON as the city's chosen art form.

ablarc
January 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
5. Remove height restrictions on all buildings; eliminate zoning restrictions on signs and advertisements.
6. Allow advertising signage along I-95. (Restaurants should be able to advertise.)
7. Consider NEON as the city's chosen art form.

Let 'em know what you think. I'm sure you'll be a big hit in Stamford, Bob.

antinimby
January 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM
The same can be said for New York also.

GreenwichBoy
January 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Planning Board likes plan for Ritz

http://m.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/34d6/0/0/%2a/k;44306;0-0;0;12928451;2321-160/600;0/0/0;;~sscs=%3f)By Doug Dalena
Staff Writer

January 10, 2007

STAMFORD - A revised plan for a twin-towered Ritz-Carlton hotel and condominium complex at Atlantic Street and Tresser Boulevard won the unanimous endorsement of the Planning Board last night.

Developers F.D. Rich Co. and Cappelli Enterprises will present the proposal to the Zoning Board, which has final approval for the project, during a Jan. 22 public hearing.

Atlantic Centre would include 289 condominiums and 198 hotel rooms in two 400-foot towers flanking the Atlantic Street post office.

"It's a spectacular design," said Robin Stein, the city's planning director.

The towers would become the city's tallest buildings, and with the proposed Tresser Square development across the street - with three towers higher than 300 feet - could dramatically alter the city's skyline.

The 1916-built post office would become the hotel's main restaurant, with outdoor seating at the top of the stone staircase leading from Atlantic Street, said Peter Brassard of Costas Kondylis and Partners, the architect.

The original plan had the post office becoming the hotel's ballroom, but Ritz-Carlton officials wanted the space to have more daily activity, said Bruce Berg, Cappelli's executive vice president.

The developers would demolish the post office's 1939 addition.

The post office would open a branch within the new complex on Tresser Boulevard.

In perhaps the most significant change to the proposal, the two towers are now rectangular instead of curved.

The rectangular design allows more floor area and is less costly to build, said John Lindell, director of design and construction for F.D. Rich Co.

A secondary entrance plaza on Federal Street is being changed to a driveway connecting to the main entrance plaza on Atlantic Street.

The Zoning Board will be faced with whether to approve a change that would allow the 400-foot towers. The change would link the extra height - 50 feet above current regulations - to contributions to the Mill River Greenway project, if the Zoning Board granted a special exception. The Atlantic Centre proposal would require a $950,000 contribution, but the rule change would apply anywhere in the central business district.

The Zoning Board rejected the same proposal when Rich and Cappelli sought approval for the Trump Parc condominium tower at Washington Boulevard and Broad Street. But several members said their main objection to the proposed 400-foot building was tied to the small half-acre development site. The board has since approved Trump Parc at 350 feet.

The Ritz-Carlton would be built on 4.4 acres, some of which would be leased from the St. John Urban Development Corp., which owns two of its three affordable apartment towers on adjacent land.

One side of the hotel parking garage would be 20 feet from the northern side of Tower C, the easternmost of the three St. John Towers, and another would be 40 feet from the eastern side of the tower. The condominium towers would each be 65 feet from Tower C.

The extra 50 feet in height that Rich and Cappelli are requesting would allow a more slender design and provide more units with higher views, Berg said. That would increase the price of the uppermost units, making the project more likely to get financing, he said.

"What the city gets is superior design," said William Hennessey, the developers' attorney. "It's a much more elegant design."

Board member Jay Tepper questioned the wisdom of tying zoning bonuses such as extra height to cash payments, even when the city might need the money.

"The end doesn't justify the means all the time," he said.

Chairman Duane Hill said the city often grants bonuses if the developer provides something in return that benefits the city. The Mill River Greenway project would do that, and would need funding for years.

"It's one thing to get it built," he said. "It's another thing to sustain and maintain it."

In addition to the park contribution, the development would produce $2.4 million in annual property taxes and $3.8 million for affordable housing, the developers said.

Copyright © 2007, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.

investordude
May 18th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Looks like a 37 story Trump building broke ground in Stamford. I can't say it looks good, but I like the fact that the satellite cities around New York are seeing more healthy buildiup.

GreenwichBoy
May 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
PARC PLACE
By KATHERINE DYKSTRA
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05172007/photos/re068a.jpg

May 17, 2007 -- When plans were announced for City Place and Highgrove, two luxury high-rise condo buildings in downtown Stamford, Conn., the city was abuzz. With around 100 units apiece, both quickly garnered interest from buyers.

"They were heavily pre-sold," said Jessica Dee Rohm, senior managing director for Cappelli Enterprises. "They sold like 60 percent at Highgrove."

But neither building was able to achieve its financing, so despite interest and the caliber of the architects attached - Robert A.M. Stern was to design Highgrove, and Arquitectonica was working on City Place - the plans had to be scrapped.

Now, another development team has come along with the goal of bringing new-construction high-rise condo living to Stamford. And this time we're betting it won't fail.

The difference between those projects and this one? The developers' track records, which include similar buildings in Westchester that have met with tons of success.

The developers are Donald Trump and Louis Cappelli, and this time they have teamed up with Thomas Rich of Stamford's F. D. Rich Company to build the 35-story Trump Parc Stamford.

Just as before, the demand is there; after only one month of advertising, there were more than 200 names on the waiting list when ground was broken on Tuesday. And this is for 171 condos.

"The building is selling like hotcakes, and we haven't even started construction," says Trump, who has worked with Cappelli on two previous projects: Trump Tower at City Center in White Plains and Trump Plaza in New Rochelle.

Both were hugely successful (the New Rochelle building sold out in three months, notes Trump), bringing their respective areas higher price points and a flashy urban vibe.

"Now it's time we moved this collaboration to Stamford; I think it's ready for downtown residential high-rises," says Cappelli.

Trump Parc is the second part of a two-phase development, which started with 200,000 square feet of retail space and a 500-car parking garage at Washington Boulevard and Broad Street, in the central business district. The residential tower will begin on the seventh floor and will be made up of one-, two- and three-bedroom condos. The majority are two-bedrooms averaging 1,600 square feet and costing around $1 million.

"It's a new price point for the area," says Cappelli. "We've reached that price point in White Plains at the Ritz-Carlton, so we know it's a good price for the Trump project."

On average, the Ritz White Plains is seeing $1,000 per square foot with units on the higher floors seeing upwards of $2,000 a square foot.

Most of the interested buyers thus far have been young professionals drawn to the area by the recent opening of the American headquarters of the United Bank of Switzerland and the impending opening of the same for the Royal Bank of Scotland. (According to Cappelli, the latter will bring more than 2,000 new people to the area within the next 14 to 15 months.) There are also many interested empty-nesters looking to move from the suburbs to the city.

With that in mind, Cappelli has more plans for Stamford, including a Ritz-Carlton hotel/condo estimated to contain "about 300 units."

"There's probably going to be demand there for three or four projects," says Cappelli. "We're looking for other sites and even have contracts out now."
And, Cappelli boasts: "It's already a 24-hour city, there's restaurants and nightlife and theaters and culture. It's on the the Long Island Sound. It's a mini-Manhattan."

Trump agrees: "It's happening; it's a great location. A lot of tremendous things have happened in Stamford."

Designed by Costas Kondylis, Trump Parc will be Connecticut's first LEED-certified green high-rise, and will include 13,000 square feet of amenities, such as a lap pool, 20-seat screening room, billiard room and outdoor recreation deck.

There will be a 36,000-square-foot restaurant, which will also provide room service and catering to residents.

At 35 stories, it will also eclipse Landmark Tower as the tallest building around.

"Landmark Tower, at 270 feet, was a symbol of the city's revitalization [when it was built in 1970]," says Rich. The F.D. Rich Company was designated the sole redeveloper of the downtown urban renewal project in 1960. "Now, Trump Parc, at 350 feet, will serve as a new landmark."

investordude
May 19th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I'm surprised that didn't get built. What happened?

I do think this project will go forward - they already have the financing.

investordude
May 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/nyregion/21stamford.html

Looks like this is getting closer to approval. Should be beneficial, but I think it would benefit if there was some sort of light rail or shuttle to the train station.

yobird
April 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Printer Friendly Version (javascript:WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions(new WebForm_PostBackOptions("A$ctl01", "", true, "", "", false, true)))
http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/images/CityThatWorks.gif (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/2371/default.aspx)
February 2008
A Quarterly Newsletter for the Citizens of Stamford
Vol. 8, No. 1
Table of Contents

Home (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/default.aspx)Message From The Mayor (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91490.aspx)Cool And Green Initiative (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91491.aspx)Tight Schedule For Grants (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91492.aspx)Stamford Recreation Services (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91493.aspx)Ferguson Library Discussions (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91494.aspx)Museum And Nature Center (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91495.aspx)WPCA Solids Drying Project (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91496.aspx)Youth Services Bureau (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91497.aspx)Light Transit Route (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91507.aspx)Carbon Monoxide Poisioning (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91498.aspx)Police Join Project Lifesavers (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91499.aspx)Environmental Magnet School (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91508.aspx)Senior Center Happenings (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91512.aspx)Climate Change Policy (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91513.aspx)

CITY EXPLORES NEW LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT ROUTE TO CONNECT SOUTH END TO POINTS NORTH
The Mayor’s announcement in October that the City has initiated a six month feasibility study for a new light rail transit route connecting the South End, Downtown and Bull’s Head commercial areas has generated interest in the press and with residents. The City’s proposed transit system is designed to address the Stamford region’s overwhelming traffic congestion and to develop innovative strategies for a more sustainable future for the City.
With the major redevelopment of the City’s South End, the City is looking for ways to provide easy access to all parts of Stamford through public transportation. The proposed transit system would connect Stamford’s downtown core to the South End, Landmark Square, and the retail hub at Bull’s Head. By extending the range of access to the train station, Mayor Malloy contends, the City can increase the value of downtown real estate relative to other suburban office locations and provide a greater share of Stamford’s commuters with an attractive and cost effective alternative to single occupant vehicle commuting.
Since 1985 more than 20 U.S. cities have built light rail systems. The largest systems (Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco and San Diego) have daily ridership of over 100,000. In addition to the approximately 20 U.S. cities that have built full scale light rail systems, an additional 20 or so have implemented shorter downtown oriented routes using historic streetcars. This is differentiated from the “trolley look” buses that are common in many cities in that the vehicle operates with electric overhead power (trolley pole) and rides on steel track. With a few exceptions, most heritage routes are substantially shorter (between one mile and six miles total length) and are focused on downtown circulation, rather than the movement of large numbers of daily commuters. The success of these transit projects in attracting ridership and offering transportation alternatives in similarly sized cities, has encouraged City of Stamford planners to pursue the project.

Given Stamford’s size and potential for transit ridership, a lower cost alternative to a light rail system could be a single downtown light rail line, potentially beginning with only a single operational track with passing sidings. Much larger systems, including San Diego, Baltimore and Sacramento started initially with single track operation to limit their startup costs. With a much more modest capital investment than is required for a full scale light rail system, the City of Stamford can achieve many of the same objectives for its commercial core in terms of environmental benefits, transportation function and economic development.

The current proposed plan traces a basic route along Atlantic and Bedford Streets. The viability of this route is enhanced by the upcoming widening of the Atlantic Street underpass and the potential for platform extension at the railroad station to facilitate access from the east. The recent Zoning Board approval for the Harbor Point component of the Antares project contains a condition that a four lane right of way be provided for those limited sections of the roadway where Antares owns frontage property.
With a long range vision of light rail transit being analyzed during the coming fiscal year, funding opportunities can be identified and each segment of the Atlantic Street/Bedford Street right of way can be coordinated with future plans in the development of the South End, downtown and Bull’s Head areas.
The proposed transit system is an innovative initiative that would benefit the City of Stamford in a number of ways. The project would catalyze Transit Oriented Development both in the traditional downtown core and in surrounding areas in the South End and Bull’s Head center. It would inevitably expand the customer base and customer access for existing downtown businesses and it would enhance the market value for downtown office, retail and residential development. The results of the feasibility study will be eagerly awaited by residents and visitors alike who are interested in finding alternatives to traffic congestion.

yobird
April 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Printer Friendly Version (http://javascript<b></b>:WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions(new WebForm_PostBackOptions("A$ctl01", "", true, "", "", false, true)))

http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/images/CityThatWorks.gif (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/2371/default.aspx)
February 2008

A Quarterly Newsletter for the Citizens of Stamford
Vol. 8, No. 1
Table of Contents

Home (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/default.aspx)Message From The Mayor (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91490.aspx)Cool And Green Initiative (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91491.aspx)Tight Schedule For Grants (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91492.aspx)Stamford Recreation Services (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91493.aspx)Ferguson Library Discussions (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91494.aspx)Museum And Nature Center (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91495.aspx)WPCA Solids Drying Project (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91496.aspx)Youth Services Bureau (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91497.aspx)Light Transit Route (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91507.aspx)Carbon Monoxide Poisioning (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91498.aspx)Police Join Project Lifesavers (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91499.aspx)Environmental Magnet School (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91508.aspx)Senior Center Happenings (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91512.aspx)Climate Change Policy (http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/50/2368/91488/91513.aspx)

CITY EXPLORES NEW LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT ROUTE TO CONNECT SOUTH END TO POINTS NORTH
The Mayor’s announcement in October that the City has initiated a six month feasibility study for a new light rail transit route connecting the South End, Downtown and Bull’s Head commercial areas has generated interest in the press and with residents. The City’s proposed transit system is designed to address the Stamford region’s overwhelming traffic congestion and to develop innovative strategies for a more sustainable future for the City.
With the major redevelopment of the City’s South End, the City is looking for ways to provide easy access to all parts of Stamford through public transportation. The proposed transit system would connect Stamford’s downtown core to the South End, Landmark Square, and the retail hub at Bull’s Head. By extending the range of access to the train station, Mayor Malloy contends, the City can increase the value of downtown real estate relative to other suburban office locations and provide a greater share of Stamford’s commuters with an attractive and cost effective alternative to single occupant vehicle commuting.
Since 1985 more than 20 U.S. cities have built light rail systems. The largest systems (Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco and San Diego) have daily ridership of over 100,000. In addition to the approximately 20 U.S. cities that have built full scale light rail systems, an additional 20 or so have implemented shorter downtown oriented routes using historic streetcars. This is differentiated from the “trolley look” buses that are common in many cities in that the vehicle operates with electric overhead power (trolley pole) and rides on steel track. With a few exceptions, most heritage routes are substantially shorter (between one mile and six miles total length) and are focused on downtown circulation, rather than the movement of large numbers of daily commuters. The success of these transit projects in attracting ridership and offering transportation alternatives in similarly sized cities, has encouraged City of Stamford planners to pursue the project.

Given Stamford’s size and potential for transit ridership, a lower cost alternative to a light rail system could be a single downtown light rail line, potentially beginning with only a single operational track with passing sidings. Much larger systems, including San Diego, Baltimore and Sacramento started initially with single track operation to limit their startup costs. With a much more modest capital investment than is required for a full scale light rail system, the City of Stamford can achieve many of the same objectives for its commercial core in terms of environmental benefits, transportation function and economic development.

The current proposed plan traces a basic route along Atlantic and Bedford Streets. The viability of this route is enhanced by the upcoming widening of the Atlantic Street underpass and the potential for platform extension at the railroad station to facilitate access from the east. The recent Zoning Board approval for the Harbor Point component of the Antares project contains a condition that a four lane right of way be provided for those limited sections of the roadway where Antares owns frontage property.
With a long range vision of light rail transit being analyzed during the coming fiscal year, funding opportunities can be identified and each segment of the Atlantic Street/Bedford Street right of way can be coordinated with future plans in the development of the South End, downtown and Bull’s Head areas.
The proposed transit system is an innovative initiative that would benefit the City of Stamford in a number of ways. The project would catalyze Transit Oriented Development both in the traditional downtown core and in surrounding areas in the South End and Bull’s Head center. It would inevitably expand the customer base and customer access for existing downtown businesses and it would enhance the market value for downtown office, retail and residential development. The results of the feasibility study will be eagerly awaited by residents and visitors alike who are interested in finding alternatives to traffic congestion.

Nexis4Jersey
May 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Here's some of my Stamford pictures...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5642005854_fe189985bc_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642005854/)
DSC04423 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642005854/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5642005926_052b83a3aa_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642005926/)
DSC04424 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642005926/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5641438325_cab7fc0df2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641438325/)
DSC04437 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641438325/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5641444427_a4f54e7ee5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641444427/)
DSC04496 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641444427/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/5641442999_14e75c47bb_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641442999/)
DSC04482 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641442999/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Marv95
May 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Nice pics. I wasn't that impressed by it though(some trash in the streets, confusing transit center, decrepit buildings, etc.) but I did like the Plaza at the Town Center, and it's something that certain cities on here could use *coughDowntownNewarkcough*.

Nexis4Jersey
May 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Nice pics. I wasn't that impressed by it though(some trash in the streets, confusing transit center, decrepit buildings, etc.) but I did like the Plaza at the Town Center, and it's something that certain cities on here could use *coughDowntownNewarkcough*.

I was mostly impressed with Stamford except a few poorer sections rubbing against the newer middle class areas.... The Transit center needs to be redesigned....its very confusing and the waiting area is weird.. It needs to be brought into the 21st Century. Like Jamaica Station.... There were so areas of Downtown leaving you with that wth impressive....

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5641439909_5f48b31517_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641439909/)
DSC04452 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5641439909/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5018/5642004864_85de7b2753_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642004864/)
DSC04412 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5642004864/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

DMAG
May 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I've worked in Stamford for the past 3 years.... but live in Scarsdale, NY. Admittedly the city is a bit run down and there are some "questionable" areas, but it has some nice areas and some good restaurants. I just wish the Harlem train line line ran to Stamford....driving from Westchester during rush hour stinks. I watched the Trump Parc get built....was kinda cool to see that.

eddhead
August 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm curious as to what there is to Stamford beyond glass boxes hosting the offices of corporations too timid (or perhaps too tax-sheltered) to headquarter themselves in New York.

Crack houses.

Anyone thinking Stanford has arived, should try walking down to the train staion after the sun goes down. There are some very unsafe areas located in close proximity to UBS and RBS.

I work in Stamford and am not a big fan.

Nexis4Jersey
October 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Stamford Update
Harbor Point

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8123947057_e0d15e6d5a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123947057/)
018 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123947057/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8466/8123964938_bd43bcbefe_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964938/)
020 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964938/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8123946861_1ccd4737ca_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946861/)
021 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946861/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8123946769_a466729070_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946769/)
022 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946769/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8123946551_9791d9f786_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946551/)
026 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946551/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8123946411_4f10f32e63_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946411/)
028 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946411/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8123964436_82c75c4e05_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964436/)
029 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964436/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8123964320_9865c07712_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964320/)
031 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964320/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8123964206_90fe3117a8_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964206/)
033 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964206/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8123946049_fa8e9160d9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946049/)
035 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123946049/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8123964004_9c09a2ab83_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964004/)
036 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123964004/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8123963908_be1c8180a7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963908/)
038 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963908/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8123945781_64ba234b86_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123945781/)
040 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123945781/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8123945193_cd196d84a2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123945193/)
049 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123945193/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8123963224_e80f3ef670_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963224/)
050 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963224/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8049/8123963110_0fbedc66ba_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963110/)
052 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123963110/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8123944883_2bb5cd372b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944883/)
055 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944883/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8123944829_ce17742c91_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944829/)
056 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944829/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Nexis4Jersey
October 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
South Stamford Update

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8123944465_972e13e873_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944465/)
062 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944465/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8053/8123962460_8d588cbf11_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123962460/)
063 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123962460/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8190/8123944233_ecf97d0eb7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944233/)
066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944233/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8123944135_7aa3f71e04_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944135/)
068 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944135/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8194/8123944011_9323ed2042_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944011/)
070 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123944011/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8123961960_186ce8fd1e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961960/)
071 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961960/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8123961846_6342965593_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961846/)
073 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961846/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8123943777_8eaa971315_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943777/)
074 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943777/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8123961744_97a708803e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961744/)
075 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961744/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8123943657_478b2d77c3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943657/)
076 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943657/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8123961640_844cf8bbf2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961640/)
077 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961640/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Nexis4Jersey
October 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Stamford Parking Garage Overview

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8123943555_df287b2aab_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943555/)
078 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943555/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8123961452_5dc1de7fe8_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961452/)
080 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961452/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8123961394_6845ca0880_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961394/)
081 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961394/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8123961270_d74af5760e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961270/)
083 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961270/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8123961174_1da40ce68d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961174/)
085 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123961174/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8049/8123943043_3004d02de6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943043/)
087 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943043/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8123942873_11b2948e45_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123942873/)
090 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123942873/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8123943191_7897c5693a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943191/)
084 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123943191/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8464/8123942823_7fd7876d5f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123942823/)
091 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8123942823/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Nexis4Jersey
March 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Gateway HP progressing nicely...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8598158478_2e4cdefe32_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8598158478/)
Stamford Station Redevelopment - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8598158478/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8597054513_9d3cbc69e6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8597054513/)
Stamford Station Redevelopment - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/8597054513/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

EastMillinocket
May 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM
New 4-story 58 apt complex going up at 163 Franklin St
http://stamford.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/construction-projects-creating-new-traffic-patterns-in-stamford

http://o2.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/quality/82/resize/1563x749%5E/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/1707b086b745e49f3a67c485bf424322

Nexis4Jersey
May 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Another block of cheaply built condos and apartments charging Manhattan rates....:(

DMAG
May 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8123943657_478b2d77c3_b.jpg

This is a view of Dock St looking North (the train station is behind the photographer)

I work in that brick building on the left (the taller one in the background). As a matter of fact I'm posting from there right now.

Here's a view of Dock St out of my office window I just took (you can see the same grey building...it's an Antiques store) and the new apartments under construction.

EastMillinocket
May 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
There is a huge amount of development going on in Stamford right now, most of it in the South End.

But right in downtown you have the 75 Tresser Blvd building, which is a huge complex the scope of which has not been seen since the unfortunate Avalon era that Stamford underwent in the 1990s. The building takes up the entire south side of Tresser Boulevard between Washington Blvd and Clinton Ave. The side facing Washington Blvd is loud due to the city's busiest intersection; the side facing Clinton Ave is across from a low-income area. I don't know how much they're charging (the rates are not up yet, though they'll start leasing this summer - http://75tresser.com/) but it will probably be a ridiculous sum given the issues with this site. Then again, it's close to the investment banks, and those junior investment bankers are the types of folks who this will be marketed to, so none of this probably matters as long as there's a community room where they can play whatever drinking game they invented during their fratboy years (which never ended).

The other thing is that soon they will demolish some historical buildings on Atlantic Street between 1 Atlantic St and the Palace Theater in order to put up a 7-story Marriott Residence Inn (as if Stamford does not have enough hotels). There is an article about it here: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/New-hotels-coming-to-Danbury-Stamford-4520333.php.

A photo of the building that will be torn down is here: http://rjschwartz.blogspot.com/2013/05/atlantic-avenue-stamford-building-is.html.

EastMillinocket
May 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Another big project currently getting underway in Stamford is the construction of a new mid-rise for Stamford Hospital on the west side of town, roughly in the area of Finney Ln and Spruce St.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/41/14/135965/3/628x471.jpg

http://cdn2.dailyvoice.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/Slideshow/stamford_hospital_front_entrance_1.jpg

http://stamford.dailyvoice.com/business/stamford-hospital-breaks-ground-new-facility

Nexis4Jersey
May 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Any more projects along Route 1?

EastMillinocket
May 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
No.

Nexis4Jersey
May 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
No.

Any Projects along the New Canaan Branch area of Stamford?

EastMillinocket
May 23rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Not on the Stamford side of the New Canaan branch, but it looks like you are in the market for some top-end real estate. I would suggest looking over to Darien:

http://www.kensettdarien.com/

EastMillinocket
May 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hard to believe, but Stamford now has a larger population than Hartford

http://www.trbimg.com/img-519e0e51/turbine/hc-haar-hartford-stamford-census-20130522-002/580/580x326

Source: Hartford Courant (http://www.courant.com/business/hc-haar-hartford-stamford-census-20130522,0,7921963.column)

Nexis4Jersey
May 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
I think Hartford and New Haven will take off in a few years , Bridgeport will start to aswell due to Black Rock & East Bridgeport which have huge redevelopment plans.

EastMillinocket
May 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Hartford is done. New Haven and Bridgeport are a different story.

Nexis4Jersey
May 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM
Hartford is done. New Haven and Bridgeport are a different story.

I don't think Hartford is done , there are some large projects that waiting for the Commuter Rail line and Busway to open....same with the New Haven area , there are projects tied to the West Haven station , Knowledge Corridor and Route 34 Removal. The Projects in Bridgeport seem to be waiting on the economy , but Fairfield Metro or Black Rock has a few projects tied to it.

EastMillinocket
June 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/content/14570/Park-Sq.-West-Construction-Continues

Park Sq. West Construction Continues

http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/medialib/media/clipart/60/8760/parksqwest.jpg

Two construction companies team up for phase 2

By: Staff
Stamford, CT (http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/) | Added on May 30, 2013 At 02:31 PM

Phase two of Trinity Financial's Park Square West project in Stamford is in the works, and headed by two companies -- the A.P. Construction Company and Associated Construction Company.

“We’re thrilled to partner with Associated Construction and Trinity Financial to build what will become a very attractive and needed mixed-use complex, which will enhance the economic development for downtown Stamford,” said Andrew B. Ashforth, CEO of A.P. Construction Company and Co-CEO of The Ashforth Company.

The $46 million project will produce a 15-story building, consisting of 209 residential apartments with about 6,800 square feet of ground floor retail.

The 225,000 square foot high rise at 66 Summer St. will feature a mix of studios -- one and two bedroom units. Building amenities include a fitness center, community room with kitchen area, and a breakfast bar.

Each unit will feature a full appliance package with a washer and dryer, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances including an electric range/oven, a built-in microwave with vent-hood, a frost-free refrigerator/freezer, garbage disposal, and dishwasher.

The project also includes an $8.8 million extension of the existing Urban Redevelopment Commission garage, adding an 110,900-sqaure-foot structure housing 321 additional parking spaces. Construction for this will start in Spring 2014 and be completed in May 2015.

Phase two will be completed in approximately 24 months. The last phase of the development -- a 15-story, 208-unit apartment complex on the west side of the site. That part of the project is expected to break ground in the summer or fall of 2015 and will be completed 24 months later.

EastMillinocket
August 29th, 2013, 10:47 AM
The Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/realestate/article/From-desks-to-beds-Landlords-convert-offices-4769682.php

From desks to beds: Landlords convert offices into apartmentsPublished 8:42 pm, Wednesday, August 28, 2013

[*=center]http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/23/25/15/5067611/3/628x471.jpg
Gregory Lodato, president of MarLo Associates Inc., poses in an apartment building that was converted from office space to apartments along Summer Street in downtown Stamford, Conn., on Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2013. Photo: Jason Rearick | Buy This Photo (http://stamfordadvocate.mycapture.com/mycapture/remoteimage.asp?backtext=Back%20to%20StamfordAdvoc ate&backurl=http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/realestate/article/From-desks-to-beds-Landlords-convert-offices-4769682.php&thumbpath=http%3A%2F%2Fww4.hdnux.com%2Fphotos%2F23 %2F25%2F15%2F5067611%2F3%2F132x72.jpg&previewpath=http%3A%2F%2Fww4.hdnux.com%2Fphotos%2F 23%2F25%2F15%2F5067611%2F3%2F628x471.jpg&pricingsheetid=2241)

Some Stamford office building owners have taken drastic action to fill their buildings -- not with workers toiling busily at their desks -- but with people snacking in front of their television sets or preparing a savory supper.
Realizing that he had little hope of filling some of his office buildings amid high vacancy rates at many area complexes, Gregory Lodato (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Gregory+Lodato%22), president of MarLo Associates (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22MarLo+Associates%22), converted an office building at 485 Summer St. into a 20-unit apartment building in late 2012, and now he is planning to convert 460 Summer St. into 21 to 24 units.
The difficult office market in Stamford, coupled with demand for apartments convinced Lodato that the timing was right to convert the properties, he said, adding that only six units at 485 Summer St. are unoccupied.
"It was pretty much Class `D' office space. We took this undesirable office space (at 485 Summer St.) and turned it into very desirable apartment units," he said, adding that he has no regrets about his decision, despite the conversion cost. "It will cost north of $100,000 per unit to build (460 Summer St.) We'll be looking for $2,200 for a one bedroom and $2,500 for a two bedroom."
Lodato decided to convert the buildings as the vacancy rate for Class `A' office space in Stamford's Central Business District continues to languish in the mid-20 percent range.
It is hovering around 26.4 percent, according to a second quarter report issued by Jones Lang LaSalle, while the vacancy rate for Class `B' space is about 13.7 percent.
Rental rates for Class `A' space in the district is $46.60 per square foot, and $25.69 for Class `B' space, Jones Lang LaSalle reported.
`A trend out of necessity'
But vacancy levels are higher farther from theStamford Transportation Center (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Stamford+Transportation+Center%22).
While the long walk from the train station might have deterred companies from locating operations in Lodato's office buildings, he thinks they are in a prime location for tenants that want to be close to downtown retailers and the restaurant scene on Bedford Street.
Lending institutions are anxious to finance apartment construction, Lodato said.
"You go to residential because you can get financing," he said. "I think it's a trend out of necessity. There's no sign of recovery in the office market."
Lodato is not the only office building owner who has seen apartments as a logical option to the futility of working to fill under-performing properties.
Richard Freedman (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Richard+Freedman%22), president of Garden Homes Management (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Garden+Homes+Management%22) in Stamford, and Randy Salvatore (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Randy+Salvatore%22), owner of RMS Cos., also in Stamford, have converted office buildings to apartment complexes.
"We've done three in Stamford and one in Darien," Freedman said, noting that the first conversion was in 2009 when he turned a 32,000-square-foot Stamford office building at 111 Prospect St. into 55 apartments.
Darien conversion
Another project came a year later, when he converted a 37,000-square-foot office building at 25 Third St. into 50 apartments. That was followed in 2011 by conversion of a 20,000-square-foot space at 397 Post Road in Darien into a 35-unit complex, and last year by turning 800 Summer St., a 40,000-square-foot office building, into 89 apartments.
All of the buildings were in Garden Homes' portfolio.
"They all were Class `B' buildings, and the occupancy was not great. The only way we could have them occupied was to keep rent so low that we couldn't make any money. Now as apartments they're 95 or 96 percent occupied," Freedman said, estimating that the conversion costs equated to $140 per square foot. "It's definitely a trend. I don't think it's going to end anytime soon. People aren't using offices like they used to."
Many of the apartments in Garden Homes' converted buildings are studios, starting at about $1,100 a month.
The opportunity to convert an under-utilized commercial building in need of improvement into apartments is hard to resist, said Russell Munz (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Russell+Munz%22), co-owner and president of Pyramid Real Estate Group (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Pyramid+Real+Estate+Group%22), a Stamford-based commercial real estate firm.
"Rent for Class `B' and `C' offices have not moved since the mid-'80s," he said. "In real estate lingo, it's called `creative re-use'. I think it's a great use. There's no shortage of people that want to rent because their credit may not be good, they're unable to qualify for a mortgage or they don't want to own."
Recognizing the demand for apartments in lower Fairfield County, Garden Homes expects to soon raze a vacant building at 1032 Hope St. in Stamford and start construction of an 88-unit apartment building in November. Most of the units will be studio and one-bedroom apartments.
Fairfield, Milford construction
Freedman said he expects construction to take a year, adding that his company is also building a 54-unit complex in Fairfield and a 36-unit building in Milford.
"I think this is the golden age now for rental housing," he said.
Norman Cole (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Norman+Cole%22), Stamford city planner, welcomes building owners' efforts to convert some of their office buildings because the occupancy levels of them are so low. Some are in the 20-to 30-percent range or lower.
"They're re-purposing these buildings and putting them good use," he said. "They're in nice locations where people can walk (to stores and restaurants)."
In Bridgeport, where residential rents are not as a high, the trend has been slower to catch on.Bradley Balletto (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Bradley+Balletto%22), regional manager of Northeast Private Client Group (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Northeast+Private+Client+Group%22), cited a few examples of converted spaces, like the old headquarters of the City Trust Bank (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22City+Trust+Bank%22) or a former office building at 333 State Street in downtown Bridgeport, which is being leased as high-end apartment space this summer. But, the conversion value is not as great, Balletto said.
Less of a trend
in Danbury
"I don't know that it's going to be as common in Bridgeport because you don't get as high a rent as in Stamford to justify the cost," Balletto said. "I don't know if there's enough product for it or enough demand quite yet."
Toll Brothers have started construction to build out the "Reserve," a residential development with 1,500 units on about 500 acres of land once owned by Union Carbide (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Union+Carbide%22) in Danbury, though this is the only such development in the area, said Jeff Ryer (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Jeff+Ryer%22), principal of Ryer Associates (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=realestate&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Ryer+Associates%22). In Stamford, where a strong office culture developed downtown starting in the 1980s, there is a need to bring residential housing back into the bustling hub of the city, Ryer said.
"I'm not seeing that type of scenario here (in Danbury)," Ryer said.
Location was the prime reason why Salvatore purchased a vacant office building at 1200 Bedford St. constructed in the early 1980s, for $1 million and spent $3 million upgrading its facade and converting it into 16 apartments in 2012.
"They rented very quickly. It took 45 days," Salvatore said, adding that the rental rates ranged between $2,300 and $2,500 per month.
The Bedford Street project followed conversion of an office building at 100 Prospect St. into 82 units in 2010, Salvatore said.
Glut of space
"You have a lot of `B' and `C' office space that's beyond useful life, and you have a glut of Class `A' space," he said, commenting that prices for Class `A' space make it hard for offices with fewer amenities to compete for tenants. "These office buildings are in a good area, so it makes perfect sense to convert them. I definitely think you'll see more because I don't think you'll see anything change. There's still so much Class `A' space available."
RMS expects to complete construction of The Moderne, a 58-unit apartment complex at 163 Franklin St. by Sept. 1.
Unlike the conversions, The Moderne is a ground-up project. Twenty-five units already have been leased.
"Stamford is becoming a destination place for people to live," Salvatore said.
Ezra Karp, a broker with William Raveis Real Estate in Stamford, has experienced the demand for apartments in the city.
"It's very strong in Stamford. They come and go very quickly -- that's the high-end apartments. Young people who commute from New York can't afford to buy a house," he said. "Stamford is growing so much. I believe there will always be a need for rental space. If (a conversion) is upscale, it should do well."
Staff writer Olivia Just contributed to this report. rlee@scni.com

EastMillinocket
August 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
1. 66 Summer Street
Construction of 66 Summer Street began May, 2013
2 stories framed as of 8/24/2013

http://stamford-downtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Summer-House.jpg

2. The Summer House – 184 Summer Street, F.D. Rich
- 222 residential units
- 2,200 square feet of retail space
- Construction to begin fall 2013
-Current building (former site of Mary Ann's Mexican restaurant) slated for demolition soon
- Slated for completion Fall 2015

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/13/27/45/2980165/11/628x471.jpg
3. 750 Summer Street
-Construction began summer 2013
-The foundation is now in place

http://stamford-downtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/750-Summer-Web-Size.jpg

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
58-unit rental "The Moderne"
photos as of 1 Sep 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/6505/nusj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9964/4qkk.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/1351/dsjo.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/7908/7wha.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6018/tu7b.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/268/d7bt.jpg

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 12:58 AM
58 residential units
construction photos as of 1 Sep 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/3839/as93.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/8426/bzrl.jpg

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM
recently converted from office to rentals

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/6991/1z0b.jpg

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 01:06 AM

15-story, 209-unit apartment complex with 6,000 SF of ground-floor retail Construction photos as of 1 Sep 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/876/55m7.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/6804/x7dw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/2628/bgjp.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img407/1295/lqju.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/786/vyr3.jpg

The last photo shows the future site of phase II of this project, which will be a residential tower fronting the east side of Washington Blvd between West Park Place and Broad Street.

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
230-room, seven-story hotel
On west side of Atlantic Street between Palace Theatre and Broad Street

This was formerly the site of the Downes Building, demolished this summer.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5sBA454OehA/UdDY6gkJHxI/AAAAAAAABYE/_m6oLqJpwsQ/s1600/IMG_4401.JPG
Source: http://streetsofstamford.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-downes-building-is-coming-down.html

Status as of 1 Sep 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/3941/vzxy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/3242/nngq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/7340/cal6.jpg

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM
350-apartment building

This was formerly the site of the Advocate newspaper offices and printing plant, which was demolished in Dec 2011 after the newsroom moved to the Springdale district

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/07/43/13/1979123/9/628x471.jpg
source: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Former-Advocate-offices-demolished-2431796.php#photo-1979123

Construction status as of 1 Sep 2013
The new building spans the entire south side of Tresser Blvd between Washington Blvd and Clinton Ave, with some frontage on both Washington and Clinton.

Washington Blvd & Tresser Blvd intersection:
http://imageshack.us/a/img513/9471/tr8d.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/6173/dqkd.jpg

Looking west on Tresser towards Clinton Ave
http://imageshack.us/a/img20/9469/1ovs.jpg

Indentation midway on the Tresser block
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/664/3kds.jpg

Looking east from Tresser/Clinton intersection towards Washington Blvd
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/8626/l936.jpg

Clinton Avenue facade

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3186/fe2g.jpg

Looking southeast from Clinton/Tresser intersection

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/2283/52fx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/9761/bthp.jpg

Washington Blvd facade

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/9643/e7vr.jpg

Render

http://image.rentalhouses.com/imgr/12a665c275a406a6a80d6daf6c555ed5/412-250

EastMillinocket
September 4th, 2013, 01:31 AM
This is a new office development just southwest of the Stamford train station (on west side of Washington Blvd between the railroad tracks and Pulaski Street). It is one of many projects currently redeveloping South End.

http://www.aboutweston.com/Harborptplan.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/34/60/117797/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/34/60/117796/3/628x471.jpg

The parking garage portion is currently under construction (photos as of 1 Sep 2013)

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/826/bgde.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img513/8537/vwlr.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4291/qrs5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/9072/r8pb.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
September 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
Some Stamford pictures I took yesterday

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2858/9846822964_5e905f2191_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846822964/)
001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846822964/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9846845045_ebbd8392e3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846845045/)
002 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846845045/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3761/9846876396_06faee370b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846876396/)
003 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846876396/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/9846876146_5c2454dfac_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846876146/)
004 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846876146/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/9846875956_5a0c08e1dc_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846875956/)
005 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846875956/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9846835155_2978f24b52_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846835155/)
006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846835155/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/9846914733_a9ca94a6cd_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846914733/)
007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846914733/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2884/9846875096_6023da8723_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846875096/)
009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846875096/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/9846874916_df02e7152b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846874916/)
010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846874916/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5533/9846913643_f09d51009a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846913643/)
012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846913643/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/9846874306_437ba17a3a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846874306/)
013 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846874306/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/9846820694_72060cb50a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846820694/)
014 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846820694/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5491/9846873896_2ab7b31c75_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846873896/)
015 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846873896/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/9846820324_d5dd3208d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846820324/)
016 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846820324/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/9846912633_a5ce7725ec_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846912633/)
017 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846912633/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/9846905103_763f2d2a43_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846905103/)
018 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/9846905103/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

EastMillinocket
November 2nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.stamfordhospital.org/getmedia/e1aa70b6-75fb-43ba-a241-6766ad9471f6/Stamford.aspx

http://www.stamfordhospital.org/getmedia/061285a5-f8e7-4ed5-9762-f6495a0e66c0/Stamford.aspx

http://www.stamfordhospital.org/getmedia/505146b7-1be2-4c0c-98de-83c50fb336fc/Cam_02_0005.aspx

http://www.stamfordhospital.org/getmedia/60eeb8ed-8e43-4e1a-bd98-e2908ca17afc/Cam_04_0002.aspx

Ground was broken in May 2013.
New 11-story building; 640,000-square-foot facility total; $450m

Photos as of 26 Sep 2013:

from Wright Street looking west (existing hospital building on the right):

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8158/m8ew.jpg

from Finney Lane and Hillhurst Street looking north:

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/743/p8xe.jpg

From Merrell Avenue looking east towards downtown (Stamford's tallest bldg Trump Parc and second-tallest One Landmark Square visible in distance):

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/7705/rmjv.jpg

From Merrell Avenue looking east (existing entrance to Stamford Hospital on Shelburn Road on the left; Vidal Court redevelopment in the foreground):

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/1051/4e56.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 2nd, 2013, 09:56 PM
Vidal Court housing project was built in 1955 and consisted of 216 apartments on a six-acre site. The buildings fell into decay and were demolished within the last year.

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/498989-Large.jpg

http://blog.ctnews.com/insight/files/2010/09/st0916stvidal-1011-620x378.jpg
source: http://blog.ctnews.com/insight/2010/09/15/holding-court/

http://blog.ctnews.com/insight/files/2010/09/st0916stvidal-1021-620x413.jpg

Vidal court is being replaced with a mixed-income development called "Greenfield."

According to Charter Oak Communities (Stamford public housing authority), of Greenfield’s 45 mixed-income housing units, 27 will be rented to low- or moderate-income households and be designated as replacement housing for Vidal Court. The remaining 18 units will be designated for market-rate households.

The new development will include 10 one-, two- and three-story buildings on an approximately three-acre creatively landscaped and well-lighted site, with off-street parking. Greenfield will feature a wide range of customized amenities, multi-bedroom modern apartments, “green” construction, energy-efficient appliances and heating/cooling, and human services support provided by an on-site resident services coordinator from Family Centers.

These buildings are now being built on the east side of Merrell Avenue between Stillwater Avenue and West Broad Street.

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/6421/9d9b.png

Groundbreaking was on August 14, 2013. Below is a view of construction progress along Merrell Avenue as of October 26, 2013.

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/7426/ssqb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/1051/4e56.jpg

A future phase of the redevelopment involves constructing 64 units on the north side of Stillwater Avenue east of Merrell Avenue (terra cotta colored buildings in the map above). Before that phase begins, some older buildings on that site will have to be demolished.

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/7568/h1m3.png

EastMillinocket
November 2nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
One of the two residential clusters in the Harbor Point development in South End is Commons Park (the other is the cluster around the old Yale & Towne factory, the large block bordered by Henry, Pacific, Market and Canal streets). Here on the south side of Commons Park, two apartment buildings have been built and two more are being constructed. The two that have been built are called "101 Park Place" (at 101 Washington Blvd) and "Infinity Harbor Point" (at 201 Commons Park South). Here are some photos as of 26 October 2013 showing the Commons Park cluster.

All four buildings can be seen here from the intersection of Washington Blvd and Atlantic Street (the one on the very right is "101 Park Place."

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/8268/pb0p.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/5148/ajcc.jpg

Infinity Harbor Point is the tall one on the right.

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/4776/a8kp.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/2096/iwlf.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/65/jfzg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/6538/n6sn.jpg

Infinity Harbor Point

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/1672/oeuz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1086/zgy1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8849/1qhe.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/9537/lf1f.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
November 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
Any info on the various Downtown projects?

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 12:32 AM
The office component of Harbor Point redevelopment in South End is currently composed of two buildings on the west side of Washington Blvd between Atlantic and Pacific streets:

1. One Harbor Point Square (2200 Atlantic St) - 230,357 sq ft; 8 floors; built 2011
2. Two Harbor Point Square (100 Washington Blvd) - 190,146 sq ft; 6 floors; built 2010

Currently under construction in the Harbor Point Square cluster is the hotel component. This will be a 260,000-square-foot, 125-room full-service hotel. There will also be 60 condo units here. This would be the first condo component of Harbor Point -- the rest of the developments so far have been apartments.

The new hotel is on the right of this outdated rendering:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/201/ydzl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/1862/jv3m.jpg

Plans appear to call for 2 22-story towers with a common base:
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/62/10/1778200/5/628x471.jpg
source: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/South-End-hotel-approved-3507151.php#photo-1778200

Construction photos as of 26 October 2013:

As seen from Pulaski Street bridge:

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/2601/zzvb.jpg

As seen from Pacific St & Dyke Lane

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/5131/nraq.jpg

As seen from Dyke Lane:

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/6729/r6si.jpg

As seen from Commons Park:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8849/1qhe.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 12:42 AM
^^ another earlier photo of Harbor Point Square hotel:

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NY-CN657_STAMFO_G_20130825182930.jpg
source: Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323407104579035100993348472)

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 12:49 AM
previous update here:
http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=435336&viewfull=1#post435336

Work is continuing on the garage portion.

1 Sep 2013:
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4291/qrs5.jpg

26 Oct 2013:
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/8239/6q4z.jpg

1 Sep 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/9072/r8pb.jpg

26 Oct 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/3678/xalb.jpg

1 Sep 2013:
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/826/bgde.jpg

27 Oct 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/9610/wx7f.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 01:02 AM
http://stamford-downtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Park-Square-West-Phase-II-Web-Size.jpg

http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/medialib/media/clipart/60/8760/parksqwest.jpg

Previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=435333&viewfull=1#post435333 (the render in that post is mismatched - it's actually for another tower further up the same block of Summer Street that has not yet reached the construction phase)

27 Oct 2013 update:

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7377/y3ai.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/2849/m06y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/4489/xb2m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/7818/kxcr.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 01:07 AM
previous update here: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=435335&viewfull=1#post435335

27 Oct 2013 update:

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/594/gnlg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/3127/rei8.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/6175/6cnb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/8623/4msn.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/2991/bfhr.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 3rd, 2013, 01:19 AM
Any info on the various Downtown projects?

In the addition to the ones above, steel framing has begun at 750 Summer Street.

Last week the outgoing mayor announced a plan to redevelop the Hole in the Ground, downtown's largest undeveloped tract that has been empty for the last four decades. The homes on this plot fell victim to slum clearance (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Angela-Carella-Downtown-hole-may-again-be-a-home-4949926.php). According to Stamford Advocate:

"The plan tentatively calls for a low-rise design of five to 15 stories, with 800 apartment units, a 150-room hotel and 50,000 to 60,000 square feet of retail space, as well as 2 acres of open space."

source: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Developers-disclose-plans-for-mixed-use-4945025.php

Previous plans for this cursed site have included an extension of the mall, a housing development and a Wal-Mart.

It's a huge shame for downtown, but they have put in greenery around its perimeter to shield the embarrassment:

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/24/45/16/5395375/3/628x471.jpg
source: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Developers-disclose-plans-for-mixed-use-4945025.php#photo-5395375
Photo: Lindsay Perry / The Advocate

In retail news, a Trader Joe's opened on Halloween in the former Borders Book Shop site on High Ridge Road south of Merritt Pkwy. There is also a proposal for yet another CVS pharmacy, this time for South End: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Board-asks-CVS-to-tweak-proposal-4917935.php.

EastMillinocket
November 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Here is an article on the old advertisements on the wall of the building exposed during demolition efforts to make way for the Residence Inn by Marriott (post # 69):

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Stamford-demolition-exposes-old-advertising-to-4978945.php#photo-5454452

towerpower123
November 13th, 2013, 12:48 AM
That is when advertising was a welcome part of the urban environment. Can we do that again instead of installing hideous billboards everywhere that cover up everything? It would have to be cheaper to PAINT an advertisement on a blank wall than to build a billboard.

EastMillinocket
November 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
There will be a hearing tonight on the proposed third building at Metro Green, a new housing development just south of the train station. The first two buildings have already been built at the northwest corner of Atlantic and Henry streets. Here is a rendering of the third building, which will be on the west side of Atlantic Street between 717 Atlantic Street (the existing seven-story Metro Green building seen on the left of the render) and the train station garage. This will be an 11 ½ story building with 131 units.

http://blog.ctnews.com/stamford411/files/2013/11/buildinga.jpg

source: http://blog.ctnews.com/stamford411/2013/11/25/next-phase-of-metro-green-mixed-income-development-to-be-weighed/

EastMillinocket
November 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Protesters have scaled the crane to protest against UBS funding mountaintop removal mining in Appalachia.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ7JjkzCUAAQLR_.jpg:large
source: https://twitter.com/SteveDevcich/status/404982629516070912/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ7QPNZCEAA0R_g.jpg:large
source: https://twitter.com/RAMPSWV/status/404989976216997888/photo/1

lofter1
November 25th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Industrious!!

EastMillinocket
November 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
23 Nov 2013

Looking east from Mill River Street

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/9207/1cah.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/2981/yia9.jpg

Looking south on Summer St between North and Spring streets

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/1009/nj19.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/6679/tbui.jpg

24 Nov 2013

looking north from Main Street

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/7573/qj5q.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/6233/og6p.jpg

Looking north from the Bell Street garage

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9164/z0u4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/9919/fvfi.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 25th, 2013, 09:11 PM
This building is in the Yale & Towne lock factory redevelopment cluster of Harbor Point. The new building will wrap around the circa-1928 historic structure at 7 Market Street and will face Pacific Street on the west. The 7 Market Street structure is an old police precinct that is being redeveloped into the corporate HQ of Kayak.com.

More on 7 Market Street can be found here:
http://www.bltoffice.com/listing/7-market-street/
http://streetsofstamford.blogspot.com/2010/05/south-end-police-hq.html
http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cwp/view.asp?A=4010&Q=532384

All photos as of 23 Nov 2013

Looking west along Market Street

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/9428/b9dy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/7586/zgby.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/7370/6pjm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/3003/7ga6.jpg

Looking south at corner of Market and Lock

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/9821/de3y.jpg

Looking southeast - another new building starting to rise here out of the ground next to Fairway supermarket:

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6186/nn3k.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/6114/7bn7.jpg

Pacific Street side (7 Market St can be seen on the left):

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/9120/tsmu.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM
23 Nov 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/4884/5qye.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/9529/mx3q.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 26th, 2013, 03:49 AM
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/62/10/1778200/5/628x471.jpg

23 Nov 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9990/lj0i.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/9454/hrn1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/2562/4vyy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/3773/i51l.jpg

North tower:

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/3999/s83t.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/2323/ewsz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/1442/rabd.jpg

South tower:

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/2724/wbsl.jpg

Middle section:

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1953/ugzy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/7109/halq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/2519/uuj7.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img201/6577/27sm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6910/pi6l.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 26th, 2013, 03:50 AM
24 Nov 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/5977/o13c.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/192/1kal.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 26th, 2013, 03:58 AM

previous update (1 Sep 2013): http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=435331&viewfull=1#post435331

23 Nov 2013:

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9526/qk40.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/6383/e1ox.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 26th, 2013, 04:14 AM
23 Nov 2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5026/980w.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/8181/3p8t.jpg

Looking north along Pacific Street:

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4554/fv2r.jpg

Looking south from Stamford train station garage:

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/2783/c6dr.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/5464/f7ou.jpg

EastMillinocket
November 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=438698&viewfull=1#post438698

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/4295/ubx3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4803/tfnt.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/6855/xvas.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
November 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM
East Side Stamford Station Proposal

http://www.sustainablenyct.org/docs/Stamford%20-%20SCI%20East%20Main%20Street%20Feasibility%20Stud y-6.26.13_cl.pdf

EastMillinocket
December 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5739/ncas.png

Stamford Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Stamford-Hospital-construction-moving-quickly-5053284.php

Stamford Hospital construction moving quicklyNew power plant allows work on main building to commenceMartin B. CassidyUpdated 1:19 pm, Wednesday, December 11, 2013
STAMFORD -- Stamford Hospital (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Stamford+Hospital%22)'s massive construction project is moving along quickly, and next month the health care organization will accelerate work on a new 11-story state-of-the-art glass-clad medical tower.
The long-planned expansion of the hospital, estimated to cost $450 million, was once planned to be spread out over as long as 15 years, but is being completed now in a single phase in roughly five years. Recently, workers finished building an new power and utility plant that will provide power, steam and other essentials to support a new main hospital building that will be double the size of the current building. It's expected to begin accepting patients in 2016.
"This is really a milestone in the completion of the project when we have the new plant operational to supply the needs of the hospital," Stanley Hunter (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Stanley+Hunter%22), executive director of the project, said.
Where once houses, businesses and the Vidal Court public housing complex stood no long ago, concrete foundations and steel girders are sprouting up. Work has even begun on the new main entrance to the hospital complex, which will be from Stillwater Avenue, and will replace the multiple small entrances on West Broad Street and Shelburne Road.
Starting in January, contractors will begin demolition of the building's current utility plant, which is sitting on part of the future hospital's three-story foyer, according to Hunter. The workers will then be able to proceed with additional steel work to complete the upper floors.
Last week a nine-story crane worked near the eastern side of the new building to assemble the steel framework of the new hospital building's first few floors.
The more hospital will have more space for practically every function, including the hospital's emergency care center and Heart and Vascular Institute (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Heart+and+Vascular+Institute%22), to help streamline the clinical performance of the hospital, said Kathleen Silard (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Kathleen+Silard%22), executive vice president and chief operating officer said.
The new emergency department will be able to accommodate about 80,000 visits a year and more than triple in size from 13,800 to 45,600 square feet with the greater capacity to establish dedicated treatment areas for trauma, cardiac distress, mental health, and pediatric care, according to the hospital.
The hospital's emergency room handles about 50,000 visits a year.
"It is really going to help us rearrange how emergency care is provided and be able to separate areas to fast track patients who need more urgent care, trauma, and behavioral health," Silard said.
The larger building will also allow the reconfiguration of space to centralize the hospital's Heart & Vascular Institute which is currently spread through the existing hospital and boost the size of the hospital's cardiac care space from 8,100 square feet to 37,450 square feet including a larger critical care unit which will grow from 16 to 24 beds in size.
The hospital is also planning to build a new pediatric unit in the hospital's Whittingham Pavilion, which will locate the hospital's neonatal care unit alongside post-birth mother and baby services, Silard said.
"I think it is so important to realize we are going to be bringing this world class facility to the community that is going to be so much different than what has been experienced in Fairfield County before," Silard said.
Mike Smeriglio (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Mike+Smeriglio%22), executive director for facilities management who is helping to ensure the current hospital operations are not interrupted by the project work said a decision on the future use of the existing hospital building on Shelburne Road hasn't been made.
"It's exciting to see the project begin to take shape since it started two years ago," Smeriglio said. "I think its going to be an amazing facility for the community."

EastMillinocket
December 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Possibility of future TOD at Glenbrook station

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/A-tale-of-two-Stamford-neighborhoods-5100665.php

Newarkguy
December 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Unlike Jersey City with its measly 16 sq.mile territory, and Newark's 24 sq. miles straightjacket,Stamford has LOTS of territory for future growth. Even if theres minimal encroachment on the single family home districts, Downtown and the waterfront can easily "manhattanize" into a Stamford with over 300,000.

EastMillinocket
January 26th, 2014, 01:38 AM
previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=439865&viewfull=1#post439865

25 Jan 2014

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/594/liwb.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/845/8clt.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
January 27th, 2014, 01:43 AM
My Recent Stamford pictures...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/11922268636_f1d09a72b1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922268636/)
Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922268636/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11922268216_166e45fd4f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922268216/)
Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922268216/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7354/11921668793_e477c05e51_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921668793/)
Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921668793/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11921854084_cf9716dc5e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921854084/)
Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921854084/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/11921853494_1532c5c9a2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921853494/)
Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921853494/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/11921661383_992363d3b2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921661383/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921661383/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/11922259186_587ef77f91_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922259186/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922259186/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/11921386835_0a4507329e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921386835/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921386835/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/11921844414_99f900ff36_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921844414/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921844414/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/11922256986_33c22f4ec2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922256986/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922256986/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7331/11921384345_960da45f2e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921384345/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921384345/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/11921841774_cda45361f2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921841774/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921841774/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/11921841364_a396505854_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921841364/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921841364/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3677/11921381545_70bdd40f5d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921381545/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921381545/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/11921379505_5d314e7183_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921379505/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921379505/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3760/11921836654_23eb8e5c5e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921836654/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921836654/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/11921835014_217ed346b1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921835014/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921835014/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/11921834344_9a62cc526b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921834344/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921834344/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7441/11921374365_c90ac2e450_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921374365/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921374365/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/11921373655_316a5b95f0_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921373655/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921373655/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7428/11922245616_c1b284d07f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922245616/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922245616/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/11921831804_2ac3c44016_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921831804/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921831804/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

From Amtrak

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7407/12165878414_c933f27a47_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165878414/)
Amtrak Regional Train # 170 Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165878414/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/12165465695_339503cd5a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165465695/)
Amtrak Regional Train # 170 Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165465695/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/12165694863_a8fbf58436_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165694863/)
Amtrak Regional Train # 170 Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/12165694863/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

EastMillinocket
January 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7428/11922245616_c1b284d07f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922245616/)
South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922245616/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Where is this, and what is being built here?

EastMillinocket
January 27th, 2014, 10:51 AM
The Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Stamford-developer-bypassed-zoning-board-went-5175443.php

Stamford developer bypassed zoning board, went ahead with construction

Went ahead with construction without approval

Martin B. Cassidy

Published 8:05 pm, Saturday, January 25, 2014

STAMFORD -- The developer of the office and residential complex opposite the train station entrance at Washington Boulevard has doubled the number of lanes in and out of its parking garage without proper city approvals, and now the Zoning Board (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Zoning+Board%22) must decide whether to OK the change, even though it's already been built.

The plan that the Zoning Board approved for the Gateway project called for three entrance/exit lanes on Washington Boulevard for the 2,000-space parking garage, but six were built.

The change came to light recently when the developer, Building and Land Technology, requested a certificate of occupancy from the board to begin providing parking for commuters. The board members postponed deciding what went wrong.
BLT says the change wasn't a big one and didn't require the board's approval, and instead asked for and received approval from the city's land use department.

Board member Barry Michelson (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Barry+Michelson%22) questioned how BLT can justify not seeking approval for the extra lanes when the developer has followed the rules when applying for permission to make myriad less-consequential changes to other plans within the Harbor Point development.

"Let's just be clear that this is a substantive change and we very carefully scrutinized the entire proposal and held public hearings on it," Michelson said. "This is not something the building department (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Building+Department%22) can sign off on."

Land Use Bureau (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Land+Use+Bureau%22) Chief Norman Cole (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Norman+Cole%22) backed that up.

"If this had been brought to me, I would have clearly said it had to have the Zoning Board's blessing," Cole said. "I can think of lots of other projects from other developers that had far less significant changes that had to be brought back."

The extra lanes are significant changes that should have been vetted before construction by the Zoning Board in a formal application from the developer to amend the Gateway project's General Development Plan (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Development+Plan%22) first approved three years ago, Cole said.

BLT's general counsel John Freeman (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22John+Freeman%22) said this week that the developer received approval for the change from the city's Land Use Bureau and traffic engineers in May.

Cole said this was not true.

But Chief Building Official Robert DeMarco (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Building+Official+Robert+DeMarco%22) said the Building Department did approve a revised plan submitted in September by BLT as part of a proposed modification to make "minor changes" to the driveway, and that the revisions depicted the increased number of lanes.

However, the map submitted with the revised plan did not go through a comparison to the building plan that was approved by the Zoning Board in 2010, DeMarco said.

"The addition of lanes was on the drawing but it wasn't specified as part of the change," DeMarco said. "It was just a minor change they came in and explained, but there was nothing about them wanting to revise plans for the driveway."

Freeman also said that based on the assurances he says the company received stating the planned changes were suitable, BLT then initiated an application with the Office of State Traffic Administration (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Office+of+State+Traffic+Administration%22 ) in mid-June to revise the plan for the entrance to the garage.

"Members of the BLT team met with the Stamford Land Use Bureau and the City Traffic Engineer in May of 2013 and received approval for the change," Free wrote this week in an emailed response to questions about the unapproved doubling of entrance and exit lanes on the Gateway complex garage.

Either way, despite having bypassed the zoning board, BLT received an approval for the doubling of the garage entrance/exit from the Office of State Traffic Administration dated Jan. 6, and it indicates that Stamford's Traffic Engineer Mani Poola (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Mani+Poola%22) approved the changes. Poola did not return calls for comment.

Cole disputed Freeman's (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Freeman%27s%22) contention that anyone from the land use bureau he supervises approved plans to expand the driveway.

"At no time did my department approve this or receive a copy of these plans," Cole said.

When the Zoning Board approved the original Gateway plan in 2010, it imposed 25 conditions on the project that addressed traffic and congestion at and around that intersection, including a requirement that BLT work with the state Department of Transportation (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Department+of+Transportation%22) to build a pedestrian walkway to connect Gateway to the northbound Metro-North platform.

The Gateway project calls for two 10-story office buildings and one six-story residential building containing at least 37 units on Pulaski Street at Washington Boulevard, just opposite the south entrance to the train station. The area is already busy, with traffic from BLT's new offices and apartment buildings in the South End, Interstate 95 entrance ramps a few hundred yards away on the other side of the Metro-North overpass, and cars and private shuttle buses going in and out of the train station.

Cole said the revisions BLT submitted and which the building department approved did not draw appropriate attention to the doubling of lanes at the structure.

"I'm not familiar with (the building department's) procedures but assume that they accept plan changes that are minor in nature, and judge whether they need review and sign-off by other departments," Cole said.

If the Zoning Board chooses to take a hard line, it could opt to require BLT to resubmit plans for Gateway or issue an order that the garage entrance be demolished and rebuilt according to the original plan. The changes will be considered by the board at its Monday meeting, at 7 p.m., on the fourth floor of the Stamford Government Center (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Stamford+Government+Center%22), 888 Washington Blvd.

Freeman defended the changes, saying they would help with congestion at that busy intersection.

"The new garage will facilitate use of mass transit and reduce traffic," Freeman wrote in his emailed responses. "This will allow for further improvements to the train station and the surrounding area, which is critical to the economic success of the region."

Although the Pulaski Street/Washington Boulevard site was not originally included as part of the 80-acre, $3.5 billion project known as Harbor Point, BLT has said it considers Gateway to be part of that broader South End redevelopment project. In addition to 4,000 units of housing and 400,000 square feet of retail space, Harbor Point is also slated to include two hotels, a school, marina and 11 acres of park land.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/02/16/5776269/3/628x471.jpg

An architectural rendering of the proposed office buildings at Gateway Harbor Point. Photo: Contributed Photo, ST

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/26/02/16/5776276/3/628x471.jpg
An architectural rendering of the proposed Gateway Harbor Point office buildings. Photo: Contributed Photo, ST

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/00/65/5770603/3/628x471.jpg
The new parking garage on Washington Boulevard in Stamford, Conn. near the train station on Friday January 24, 2013 Photo: Dru Nadler

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/26/00/65/5770604/3/628x471.jpg
The new parking garage on Washington Boulevard in Stamford, Conn. near the train station on Friday January 24, 2013 Photo: Dru Nadler

EastMillinocket
January 27th, 2014, 10:54 AM
A 17-unit complex in 4 buildings has been proposed for 108-118 Seaside Avenue in the Cove district. This development involves the demolition of two existing buildings.

Also, a 17-unit residential development is proposed for 467 Glenbrook Road in the Glenbrook district. This is a two-minute walk from the Glenbrook railroad station on Metro-North's New Canaan branch.

The Zoning Board is holding a hearing on both projects tonight:

http://www.stamfordct.gov/sites/stamfordct/files/agenda/agenda-file/zbagenda012714.pdf

Nexis4Jersey
January 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Where is this, and what is being built here?

Its on Towne Street , If i'm not mistaken another mixed use building.

DMAG
January 27th, 2014, 05:14 PM
My Recent Stamford pictures...

South End - Stamford,Connecticut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11922259186/) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/11921386835_0a4507329e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/11921386835/)

I work in that building (multi-story brick building on the left). So convenient to the train station. I can start packing up my stuff 10 minutes before the train is set to arrive and still make it with time to spare.

Nexis4Jersey
January 28th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I work in that building (multi-story brick building on the left). So convenient to the train station. I can start packing up my stuff 10 minutes before the train is set to arrive and still make it with time to spare.

How do you get to Stamford from Scarsdale by train?

DMAG
January 29th, 2014, 10:53 AM
How do you get to Stamford from Scarsdale by train?

I actually need to update my profile. I bought a house in Trumbull, CT last summer and live there now. I take the Metro North from Fairfield Metro to Stamford.

EDIT: Profile updated!

EastMillinocket
February 3rd, 2014, 01:24 AM
75 Tresser Boulevard (previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=439858&viewfull=1#post439858):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/31/vw6.JPG

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/40/8l0.JPG

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/835/zafa.jpg

EastMillinocket
February 3rd, 2014, 01:25 AM
66 Summer Street (previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=439851&viewfull=1#post439851)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/268/2g4f.JPG

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/401/xd89.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/31/4bn2.JPG

EastMillinocket
February 3rd, 2014, 01:27 AM
Stamford Hospital expansion (previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=440416&viewfull=1#post440416)

Looking west from Washington Blvd between W Park Pl and Broad St:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/854/6by8.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/199/529w.JPG

EastMillinocket
February 15th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Source: Stamford Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/BLT-city-officials-fall-in-love-over-new-trolley-5237055.php#photo-5883993

http://s27.postimg.org/blpsiwylf/t_ROLLEY.png

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/34/41/5883993/3/628x471.jpg
Passengers get off the Harbor Point Trolley after the inaugural ride on the in Stamford, Conn. on Friday February 14, 2014 Photo: Dru Nadler

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/34/41/5884009/3/628x471.jpg
Sandy Goldstein, President of Stamford Downtown, gets off the Harbor Point Trolley after the inaugural ride on the in Stamford, Conn. on Friday February 14, 2014. Photo: Dru Nadler

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/34/41/5884005/3/628x471.jpg
Carl Kuehner, Building and Land Technology's Chief Executive Officer, and Sandy Goldstein, President of Stamford Downtown, listen to BLT spokesman John Freeman narrate the stops on the inaugural ride on the Harbor Point Trolley in Stamford, Conn. on Friday February 14, 2014. Photo: Dru Nadler

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/26/34/41/5884006/3/628x471.jpg
Carl Kuehner, Building and Land Technology's Chief Executive Officer, and Sandy Goldstein, President of Stamford Downtown, on the inaugural ride of the Harbor Point Trolley in Stamford, Conn. on Friday February 14, 2014. Photo: Dru Nadler

antinimby
February 16th, 2014, 11:12 AM
It's just a bus dressed up like a trolley.

towerpower123
February 16th, 2014, 11:56 PM
At least its free, but it is just a bus. Hopefully Stamford will get its own real streetcar line like Providence, Rhode Island is trying to do.

EastMillinocket
February 17th, 2014, 02:16 AM
16 Feb 2014:

http://s1.postimg.org/i4xt551fz/IMG_00000042.jpg

EastMillinocket
February 17th, 2014, 02:20 AM
66 Summer Street
previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=442738&viewfull=1#post442738

http://s1.postimg.org/5wk4u5tov/IMG_00000031.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/km4yynvyn/IMG_00000034.jpg

Summer Street facade:

http://s1.postimg.org/5xu2nkvin/IMG_00000035.jpg

Northeast corner

http://s1.postimg.org/cvy6titn3/IMG_00000036.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/kxr0p61sf/IMG_00000041.jpg

EastMillinocket
February 17th, 2014, 02:24 AM
750 Summer Street
previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=442378&viewfull=1#post442378

http://s1.postimg.org/9b2baap3j/IMG_00000026.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/n8khfln67/IMG_00000027.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/ryaf47e6n/IMG_00000029.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/4rq2os77z/IMG_00000030.jpg

EastMillinocket
February 17th, 2014, 02:30 AM
184 Summer Street

preliminary works have begun

http://stamford-downtown.com/wp-content/uploads/Computer%20Models/Summer-House.jpg

This building will have a facade on Summer Street and wrap around to the west of the building immediately to its north (low-rise restaurant).

http://s30.postimg.org/yqcct0769/IMG_00000037.jpg

lofter1
February 17th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Someone could start a thread showing images of new buildings with the title: "Stamford or Downtown Brooklyn???"

Same faceless stuff rising in both cities.

EastMillinocket
February 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
The Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Plans-for-old-post-office-clear-hurdle-5271358.php

Plans for old post office clear hurdle

Kate King

Updated 10:17 pm, Wednesday, February 26, 2014

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/53/05/5943619/3/628x471.jpg
Phase 1

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/53/05/5943617/3/628x471.jpg

STAMFORD -- A proposal to incorporate the historic Atlantic Street Post Office (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Atlantic+Street+Post+Office%22) building into a new apartment and retail complex won support from the city Planning Board (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Planning+Board%22) on Tuesday despite concerns voiced by local preservationists.

The New York-based Cappelli Organization (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Cappelli+Organization%22), which helped build the 34-story Trump Parc luxury high-rise on Broad Street, has proposed building two 21-floor residential buildings and 28,000 square feet of retail space on the Atlantic Street site. The developer would preserve the original footprint of the post office, which was built in 1916 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22National+Register+of+Historic+Places%22), but would demolish the back section of the building, which was built in 1939.

Representatives from the Stamford Historic Neighborhood Preservation Program oppose the demolition of the post office's 1939 addition, which they say has major historical significance. Planning Board members were not convinced by the preservationists' arguments, however.

"How historic is the addition?" said member Michael Totilo (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Michael+Totilo%22). "To me, the original footprint is what we should preserve."

Planning Board Chairwoman Theresa Dell (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Chairwoman+Theresa+Dell%22) agreed, saying she considered the building's original foundation to be more important.

"The 1916 portion of the building, by every account, must be saved," she said. "That's our culture, that's our heritage and it's something that our children should be allowed to see. I do understand it is hard to incorporate the entire building."

The Atlantic Street Post Office was built by the architect James Knox Taylor (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22James+Knox+Taylor%22) in the Italian renaissance revival style, as evidenced by its terra-cotta trim. Its architecture alone makes it one of the most historically significant, still-standing structures in Stamford, but the building also served as a national launching pad for several revolutionary inventions, said HNPP Executive Director Wes Haynes (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Wes+Haynes%22).

In 1920, metered mail was sent out for the first time in the U.S. Postal Service (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22U.S.+Postal+Service%22)'s history from the Atlantic Street Post Office. The postage meter was developed by the Stamford-based Pitney Bowes (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Pitney+Bowes%22), so the nearby post office served as an ideal location for a test run of the company's new product, Haynes said.

The success of metered mail resulted in increased mail volume, so the postal service built an addition to its Atlantic Street office in 1939. At the time, the land needed for the addition was owned by former Stamford Mayor Homer Cummings (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Homer+Cummings%22), who at that point was serving as U.S. Attorney General to President Franklin D. Roosevelt (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Franklin+D.+Roosevelt%22).

"The Treasury Department (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Treasury+Department%22) had to buy the land from Cummings," Haynes said. "Cummings, being in FDR's cabinet, was a major defender of the New Deal, and this addition was funded by New Deal funding."

The 1939 addition is also significant because it was where Pitney Bowes rolled out another invention, the "facer-canceler system." This large machine, used for the first time in Stamford during the busy 1959 holiday season, used an early version of optical scanning to sort and postmark envelopes, a task previously performed by hand.

"That revolutionized the way mail was handled," Haynes said. "That became the go-to machine that was used in all the major metropolitan areas in the United States."
The post office's 1939 addition may not be much to look at, but its local and national historical significance is substantial, Haynes said.

"It's a work room, but work rooms can still be historic," he said. "It's a place where a historic event happened. This is a New Deal-era addition to the building. We shouldn't be knocking it down. This is central to our community."

The developer said the demolition of the post office's back section is critical to the project's success, however. Joseph V. Apicella (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Joseph+V.+Apicella%22), an executive vice president at Cappelli Organization, said the 1939 addition must be removed to make way for a roadway, which would separate the post office building from the two residential towers and connect Atlantic Street to Federal Street.

"It's critical to our ability to be able to design and build this project," Apicella said. "We have every intention to preserve and protect and enhance the architectural significance of the 1916 building."

Cappelli's proposed development includes 650 one- and two-bedroom apartments between the two 262-foot high towers. Apicella said he does not yet know how much the developer plans to spend building the complex.

Planning board members said they hope the Zoning Board (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Zoning+Board%22), which is next in line to consider the developer's proposal, will mandate ground-floor retail at the complex and closely consider the traffic implications of the project. But the proposal won the Planning Board's unanimous support, with Dell saying she believes the development would enhance the neighborhood.

"I hope that the people on the historical preservation side will work with you and try to get this matter solved so the project can continue," she said to Apicella Tuesday. "I think it's a vital development to the downtown area."

The Cappelli project faces more hurdles than just the Zoning Board, however. A California-based post office preservation group, the National Post Office Collaborative (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=local&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22National+Post+Office+Collaborative%22), has sued the U.S. Postal Service over its hasty sale of the Atlantic Street site.

The collaborative, which argued the postal service didn't give customers enough notice of its impending closure, has succeeded in stalling the $4.3 million sale. Cappelli is still moving forward with its plans for the complex's other buildings, however, and plans to break ground this year if the project is approved.

Haynes said he didn't think it was prudent for the city's land-use boards to consider the proposed project, or for construction to begin, while the sale of the post office land is still tied up in court.

"It only makes sense that you don't let a project advance until the developer has site control of that property," he said. "What happens if the post office never gets sold to the developer and he builds a project that assumes he's going to have stuff on the post office site?"

Apicella said the developer is committed to building at least one of the two residential towers, regardless of whether the sale for the post office building goes through.

"We have financing in place and we're ready to go on the North Tower," he said.

In the end, Haynes said the Stamford preservation group is not opposed to Cappelli's entire project.

"We are not trying to stop this development," he said. "We just want the development shaped in a different way to respect this building. You can't take down half a building and call it preservation."

Kate.King@scni.com; 203-964-2263; http://twitter.com/kcarliniking

EastMillinocket
March 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM
The Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Stamford-s-last-village-slowly-developing-5300825.php

Stamford's 'last village' slowly developing

New zoning rules spur construction of apartments, retail space

Kate King

Published 1:00 am, Sunday, March 9, 2014

STAMFORD -- The ongoing redevelopment of the South End may be drawing all eyes south of Interstate 95, but several miles to the north, Stamford's Springdale neighborhood is undergoing its own quiet revival.

The city, state and federal governments are spending millions this year repaving the neighborhood's main road, replacing sidewalks and installing new traffic signals and road signs. Private developers recently added a new shopping strip to the neighborhood and are in various stages of construction on two new apartment buildings.

Spurred by the coupling of low construction costs and high rental prices, the recent surge in development is the first real test of the neighborhood's new village commercial zoning regulations.

The Springdale Neighborhood Association (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Springdale+Neighborhood+Association%22) was the driving force behind the major zoning change, which took effect in 2009, and closely monitors new construction to make sure developers comply.

"We held many, many meetings for residents and the architects and the city planners to put down in writing exactly what we wanted," said Marilyn Trefry (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Marilyn+Trefry%22), the association's former president who has lived in Springdale for 48 years. "We really wanted to protect ourselves from huge car washes. People did want to keep the village aspect."

Stamford's `last village'

Springdale first developed when the New Canaan railroad line opened in 1868, and is often referred to as the last village in Stamford.

It's one of the rare neighborhoods where your home, office, barber, dry cleaners and favorite restaurants are all within walking distance, said former Mayor Michael Pavia (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Michael+Pavia%22).

"It's got everything," said Pavia, who opened his real estate development company on Hope Street 15 years ago. "Springdale is the kind of place where you can live, shop, work, take the train, recreate, go to school -- a self-contained community."

Springdale's new village commercial zoning regulations aim to keep the neighborhood aesthetically uniform and pedestrian-friendly.

New storefronts, for example, must border the sidewalk rather than leaving large parking lots separating the buildings from pedestrians.

"What we're trying to get is a street with storefronts right along it, so it could be a much more pleasant, walkable situation," Trefry said.

Peter Scifo (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Peter+Scifo%22) and Liz Gray (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Liz+Gray%22), co-owners of Trendsetters Salon on Hope Street, have been in Springdale for 28 years and said they love the close-knit community.

"We both came from a big salon and we wanted something smaller and more intimate -- a neighborhood feeling," Gray said.

The salon owners advertise mainly by word of mouth and are optimistic the new construction will bring in more customers. But they are worried about the effect the development will have on traffic and parking.

"There's always an upside and a downside when things grow," Gray said.

New infrastructure

One change Gray and Scifo said they are happy to see in Springdale is the ongoing improvements to Hope Street. The neighborhood's main roadway is heavily trafficked and has long needed repaving and sidewalk replacement.

The state broke ground last spring on the $6 million project to improve pedestrian and traffic safety on Hope Street. The federal government is funding 80 percent of the project, while the state and city are splitting the remaining cost, said City Engineer Lou Casolo (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Lou+Casolo%22).

The road work, scheduled for completion this summer, is overseen by the State Department of Transportation (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22State+Department+of+Transportation%22) and includes repaving, minor street widening, storm drainage replacement and sidewalk reconstruction.

"It will be really nice when everything's finished in a year," Gray said.

The city has also installed three new traffic signals and 10 illuminated street name signs. The traffic signals cost $350,000 each and the street signs each cost $6,295, Casolo said.

The city also built new sidewalks between Largo Drive and Fahey Street last fall at a cost of $168,000. The engineering department has proposed further sidewalk improvements and road paving, but does not yet have the necessary funding, Casolo said.

As new developments spring up, residents are wondering whether the already congested Hope Street can handle the added traffic, said city Rep. Mary Fedeli (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Mary+Fedeli%22), R-17, who has represented Springdale on the Board of Representatives (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Board+of+Representatives%22) since 1995.

"People are concerned Springdale is going to be over-developed," Fedeli said. "I wouldn't want to see it get gridlocked."

Trefry said she's optimistic the neighborhood's streets can handle the added cars and trucks.

"I just drove through Darien and New Canaan and I don't think we're any different," Trefry said. "I think it's going to add some traffic, but I think it will just kind of blend in -- I hope."

New development

In exchange for adherence to strict architectural standards, village commercial zoning allows developers to get more space out of Springdale's properties, both vertically and horizontally.

The two developers constructing the neighborhood's new apartments said the opportunity to build taller and wider buildings is an attractive incentive.

"Four or five years ago when I heard they were contemplating this zoning, I was really excited because I knew from a development standpoint it gave each parcel greater potential," said developer Ernie Bello (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Ernie+Bello%22).

Bello and the Greenwich-based firm GTO Capital Management (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22GTO+Capital+Management%22) are nearing completion on a $2.5 million, 11,500-square-foot apartment complex at 947 Hope St., the site of the former Fireside Restaurant, which burned down in 2008. The four-story brick building will include 13 apartments and one retail unit, he said.

"If you took this same property three years ago, you could probably put the restaurant back and two or three apartments above," he said. "Village commercial zoning increased not only the floor area ratio, but also the coverage."

GTO Capital Management wants to keep the complex's rental prices slightly below the going rate in downtown Stamford, Bello said. Studios will likely rent for around $1,250, one-bedrooms for $1,700 and two-bedrooms for about $1,900.

Another incentive village commercial zoning offers is relaxed parking requirements, Bello said.

"It's more lenient on the parking," he said. "It allows less parking for more units."

Previous zoning regulations mandated 1.66 parking spaces for every two-bedroom apartment, but village commercial zoning requires only 1.5 spaces. At 947 Hope St., the majority of the parking will be located under the building and hidden from view, Bello said.

Across the street and slightly north of GTO Capital Management's complex, longtime Springdale real estate company Garden Homes Management (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Garden+Homes+Management%22) Corporation is set to break ground on its new apartment building at 1032 Hope St. The complex will occupy the 1-acre site formerly occupied by a vacant Rite Aide pharmacy, and is scheduled for completion in 2015.

Garden Homes' $10 million, 62,000-square-foot building will include 88 apartments, three retail stores and a fitness center, said President Richard Freedman (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Richard+Freedman%22), who also sits on Stamford's Board of Finance. Studio apartments will likely rent for $1,100 while one-bedrooms will run tenants $1,300 a month.

The building will span the entire lot and abut the sidewalk. Its 101 parking spaces will all be on-site, located around and under the building, Freedman said.

"When you think of a nice, walkable village -- that's what the zoning is trying to promote," he said.

Construction costs a factor

Garden Homes Management has been headquartered in Springdale since Freedman's father bought the Springdale Shopping Center, which houses CVS and Dunkin' Donuts, in 1972. The company built Eleanor Roosevelt House, a federally-subsidized senior living facility, on Knapp Street in 1979 and then didn't build anything in Stamford until 2009.

"There was certainly a window for construction in the 1960s and 1970s," Freedman said. "But it closed for a long time. Since the recession the construction pricing has dropped."

Freedman said he is happy for the opportunity to build in the neighborhood that has housed his company for more than 40 years.

"It's a great place, it has everything you need for a compact lifestyle," he said. "Every city should have a neighborhood like Springdale."

New commercial construction recently completed under village commercial zoning in Springdale includes a small shopping strip at 1011 Hope St. The building houses office space and the neighborhood's only grocery store, Sophia Farmers Market, which opened its doors a year ago.

Owner Yashar Cubukcu (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Yashar+Cubukcu%22) said he used to run a grocery store in Westchester County. He sold the business and moved to Norwalk before identifying Springdale as the ideal location for his next store.

"In New York we have a lot of gourmet grocery -- special food, vegetables," Cubukcu said. "I wanted to do the same thing in Connecticut."

Sophia Farmers Market offers gluten-free and organic food, fresh fruits and vegetables and gourmet cheese and nuts. The feedback from the community has been positive, Cubukcu said.

"When our customers ask for something we try to get it," he said. "Especially European products -- which are hard to find in Connecticut -- French cheese and Greek or Italian groceries."

`Hope Street is crowded'

Trefry said she hopes Springdale's new apartment buildings attract young families to the neighborhood. Commuters are within walking distance to the train station, which she said will help reduce car traffic on Hope Street.

"We love having the young people come in, which is what the condos will bring," she said. "A lot of the people who move in next to a train station are able to avoid buying a second car."

Fedeli said some of the neighborhood's residents are concerned about Springdale becoming overdeveloped, however.

"With future turnover of buildings they'd like to see be more retail rather than apartments," she said. "Hope Street is crowded."

Pavia said he doesn't think Springdale will see dramatic changes like the construction going on in the South End. Instead, he expects the neighborhood to slowly fill in vacant lots and restore its historic buildings.

"My vision for Springdale is to make it a destination point," he said.

Cubukcu said he likes Springdale so much he now lives in the neighborhood. It was challenging dealing with the road and sidewalk repaving during his first summer in business, but the grocer said he's in for the long haul.

"I'm looking at the big picture: They've almost finished all the sidewalks and they're going to finish the roads," Cubukcu said. "I have a very good feeling about Springdale, that's why I moved here. I see the future -- it looks great."

Kate.King@scni.com;

203-964-2263;

http://twitter.com/kcarliniking

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/64/71/5983865/3/628x471.jpg
947 Hope Street, which will be an apartment building, in the Springdale section of Stamford, Conn., on Tuesday, February 25, 2014. Photo: Lindsay Perry

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/64/61/5983359/3/628x471.jpg

A new retail / housing building in the location of the old Fireside Restaurant at 947 Hope Street is nearing completion in the Springdale neighborhood of Stamford, Conn., on March 5, 2014. Photo: Jason Rearick

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/21/74/5840651/3/628x471.jpg
Richard Freedman, a Board of Finance member and local developer, stands on a lot on Hope Street near Knapp in the Springdale section of Stamford, Conn. on Friday February 7, 2014 where he is going to build a 88 unit apartment building. Photo: Dru Nadler

EastMillinocket
March 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The Stamford Advocate
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Work-on-Stamford-train-station-pedestrian-bridge-5345740.php

Work on Stamford train station pedestrian bridge starts

Walkway will lead from new parking garage directly to train station platform

Martin B. Cassidy

Published 1:01 am, Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A long-planned project to build an enclosed pedestrian bridge over Washington Boulevard linking the Gateway Harbor Point office development to the Stamford train station will begin this weekend.
To finish the $2.8 million bridge in just three weekends, the state Department of Transportation (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Department+of+Transportation%22)will shut down Washington Boulevard between South State Street and Station Place (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Station+Place%22) for the next three weekends and divert drivers. The closures will be from 9 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday on the weekends of March 28, April 4 and April 11.
The 190-foot-long, 10-foot-wide bridge that will run 40 feet above the roadway is the first part of a series of planned improvements at and around the station. The project to add pedestrian amenities is a joint effort between the city, state and Gateway's developer, Stamford-based Building and Land Technology.
BLT general counsel John Freeman (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22John+Freeman%22) said the bridge will provide a link over the congested boulevard and make the station more accessible for South End residents and nearby corporate offices.
"The new bridge separates pedestrians from automobile traffic, which has two beneficial effects for Stamford: improving safety and quality of life for commuters, and reducing traffic congestion," Freeman said.
In December 2011, the city received a $10.5 million federal grant toward the overall work, after the city, state and BLT allocated $23.3 million as their shares.
Stamford interim Economic Development DirectorRobin Stein (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Robin+Stein%22) said the city will continue to monitor the developments around the train station to be sure they don't conflict.
"We want to make sure that whatever happens works with overall improvements to the station and making Station Place a more functional plaza." Stein said. "We want to make sure that whatever is done now doesn't preclude improvements in the future."
The current train station parking garage, on state property across the street from the station, is slated for a $500 million redevelopment that would include a hotel and retail space.
The state is also considering other improvements to be paid for from the pool of funds, including extending a pedestrian overpass at the west end of the station near Atlantic Street to provide access to all four platforms and building shelters at the western ends of the center platforms.
During the shutdowns, drivers north of the station can travel east or west on Tresser Boulevard and take any of the north-south running streets west of Washington Boulevard to get south of Interstate 95 and to the south side of the station.
Drivers on East Main Street can use Myrtle Avenue to continue east onto Jefferson Street and the Dock Street Connector (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Dock+Street+Connector%22) to the station.
Northbound drivers on Washington Boulevard can turn right on Henry Street and then left onto Atlantic Street to the west side of the station.
Joseph McGee (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Joseph+McGee%22), vice president of public policy for the Fairfield County Business Council (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Fairfield+County+Business+Council%22), said with the current station redevelopment plans and other construction already in the pipeline for the South End, state and city need a coordinated plan for improvements to the station.
"With a new administration in city hall, it is very important that they get a chance to review everything," McGee said. "The city has a responsibility for the total area and we really want to understand the impact of changes."

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/27/10/57/6065095/3/628x471.jpg

EastMillinocket
March 30th, 2014, 07:03 PM
30 March 2014 - topped out

http://s22.postimg.org/yiupdqnht/IMG_00000085.jpg

previous update: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768&p=443330&viewfull=1#post443330

towerpower123
March 31st, 2014, 01:09 AM
The idea of new parking garages is great and will consolidate the surface lots, but NO SKYBRIDGES! They ruin the streetscape by keeping their users off of the street and away from the stores and restaurants. We do not need to repeat the mistakes of the Newark Gateway Center anywhere!

EastMillinocket
March 31st, 2014, 01:15 AM
That particular skybridge is just to connect the parking garage to the train station. There are no street-level things there as it is. There doesn't appear to be an attempt to turn Stamford into Saint Paul.

Nexis4Jersey
March 31st, 2014, 01:33 AM
The idea of new parking garages is great and will consolidate the surface lots, but NO SKYBRIDGES! They ruin the streetscape by keeping their users off of the street and away from the stores and restaurants. We do not need to repeat the mistakes of the Newark Gateway Center anywhere!

They need Skybridges , some of these streets are very dangerous to cross. Which Stamford doesn't seem to want to address.

EastMillinocket
April 23rd, 2014, 02:10 AM
Renderings have been revealed for the proposed 6.5-story 175-unit apartment building on the back lot of First Presbyterian Church (Fish Church - 1101 Bedford Street). This back lot faces the west side of Morgan Street between Hoyt and Third streets.

View looking north along Morgan Street:

http://s28.postimg.org/xl2mv2cjx/morgan1a.png

http://s21.postimg.org/kh35581qf/Morgan1.png

View looking south along Morgan Street:

http://s28.postimg.org/6lyrzwq31/Morgan2a.png

http://s21.postimg.org/li3ducipz/Morgan2.png

View from the church's interior roadway looking east:

http://s21.postimg.org/7qyws4ts5/Morgan3.png

Story here: http://blog.ctnews.com/stamford411/2014/04/22/land-rich-and-penny-poor-usps-and-church-yield-to-stamford-apartments/

Source for renderings: http://www.fullerdevelopmentllc.com/

EastMillinocket
April 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Front page of today's newspaper:

http://s16.postimg.org/pqu06cukj/Stamford_Advocate.png

Full story is here: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Developer-seeks-approval-on-post-office-site-5422724.php

EastMillinocket
May 5th, 2014, 01:39 AM
4 May 2014
http://s27.postimg.org/4w454vb2r/IMG_00000111.jpg

EastMillinocket
May 5th, 2014, 01:41 AM
3 May 2014

http://s27.postimg.org/s097b73rn/IMG_00000112.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/ymvv4dlg3/IMG_00000110.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
May 30th, 2014, 12:27 PM
some pictures from yesterday

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14301990984_f3015f6d2e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nMPrDs)South End - Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nMPrDs) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/14279435546_3817a41044_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nKPQGA)South End - Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nKPQGA) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/14300645372_797b345fa5_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nMGxDf)South End - Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nMGxDf) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/14301990214_3ae50cae19_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nMPrqb)South End - Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nMPrqb) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3828/14115914928_f419c2cdfe_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nvnKHA)South End - Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nvnKHA) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2936/14115873620_4be8076925_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nvnxro)Downtown Stamford,Connecticut viewed from the New Haven Line (https://flic.kr/p/nvnxro) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

EastMillinocket
June 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/30/42/07/6431229/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/30/42/10/6431244/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/30/42/10/6431245/3/628x471.jpg

source: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Hole-in-the-ground-proposal-hits-red-light-5542907.php#photo-6431245

Nexis4Jersey
July 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
HarborSide Update

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5498/14396926839_1e3707c8a0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWd1Lx)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3903/14560474356_9eff578971_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/obEeKj)
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2931/14396919629_bb58a82805_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWcYCe)
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14560468536_236d7b751e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/obEd1Y)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/14396855140_3d43327936_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWcDsm)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3923/14396902698_e4f3b547e9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWcTAj)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/14582776832_fdd3a96985_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odCxuL)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/14581699654_8290f8f280_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odx2hJ)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5588/14583507525_0c63628fdd_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odGhGV)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3882/14583504695_d8482944fa_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odGgS8)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/14397093377_70eb534229_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWdSgT)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3853/14583502825_cf11a23205_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odGgiT)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3899/14583501005_d6845d4afa_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/odGfLv)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14396845320_a7939ded94_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWcAx3)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3854/14396845020_b9db96fdd2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nWcArS)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/14603611473_64916298fb_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oftjUH)

EastMillinocket
July 8th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Excellent photos of Harbor Point in the South End of Stamford.

Nexis4Jersey
December 25th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Stamford

75 Tresser Boulevard

http://s30.postimg.org/tcnla5h0x/IMG_1755.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/iwgnzaws1/IMG_1756.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/o573jfptd/IMG_1757.jpg

site at SW corner of Atlantic St and Tresser Blvd - future capelli Post Office redevelopment

http://s30.postimg.org/6vztcber5/IMG_1761.jpg

184 Summer Street

http://s30.postimg.org/7ajiuvsdt/IMG_1765.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/8gnitogoh/IMG_1767.jpg

Preliinary work on 19-story building at northeast corner of Washington Boulevard and West Park Place

http://s30.postimg.org/n1iud3wq9/IMG_1770.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/ao606771t/IMG_1771.jpg

750 Summer Street

http://s30.postimg.org/j8zbxdh81/IMG_1773.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35252669-post137.html

Nexis4Jersey
December 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
28 Southfield Avenue - Davenport Landing

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/33/14/46/7129535/3/628x471.jpg
http://greatink.com/files/FOR%20IMMEDIATE%20RELEASE%20-%20BLT%20Unveils%20Plans%20for%20Davenport%20Landi ng.pdf

Nexis4Jersey
January 29th, 2015, 09:24 PM
mini Stamford Update from yesterday

Harborpoint

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8618/16370978116_9d48bbe54b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxro)
Harborpoint in Stamford,CT (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxro) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8575/15776930393_059bb9124e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/q39TKg)
Harborpoint in Stamford,CT (https://flic.kr/p/q39TKg) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7387/16370977996_9a71be5b94_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxpj)
Harborpoint in Stamford,CT (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxpj) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/16370977826_3b6c4b39dd_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxmo)
Harborpoint in Stamford,CT (https://flic.kr/p/qWDxmo) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Eastside Luxury Condos

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/16396027502_51464e45fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qYRVKm)
New Luxury Housing on Stamford&#x27;s East Side (https://flic.kr/p/qYRVKm) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

184 Summer Street

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/16395205801_f6799cd855_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qYMHu6)
Stamford Rising (https://flic.kr/p/qYMHu6) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/16396026852_37316efeb6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qYRVy9)
Stamford Rising (https://flic.kr/p/qYRVy9) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Stamford Hospital

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/15774490314_299fc84531_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/q2WooW)
Stamford Rising (https://flic.kr/p/q2WooW) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

I will give a full update on Stamford in March , covering Downtown , South End / Harborpoint , Glenbrook & Springdale.

EastMillinocket
January 30th, 2015, 01:09 AM
There's also a lot of construction in Norwalk - large five-story buildings going up on West Avenue near Arch Street; an apt bldg on Glover Avenue right next to Merritt 7 station and another one nearby at the end of Oakwood Avenue -- as well as the new Lowe's at Route 1/I-95 exit 14.

And that's not even including SoNo.

Nexis4Jersey
January 30th, 2015, 01:58 AM
What is this project underway in SoNo?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7389/16209320228_baeece3683_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qGn1bq)
Norwalk Rising (https://flic.kr/p/qGn1bq) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

EastMillinocket
January 30th, 2015, 09:41 AM
What is this project underway in SoNo?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7389/16209320228_baeece3683_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qGn1bq)
Norwalk Rising (https://flic.kr/p/qGn1bq) by Nexis4Jersey09 (https://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Pearl apartments

http://cdn2.dailyvoice.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/397h/article/images/2014/06/30/apartments1.jpg
http://norwalk.dailyvoice.com/gallery/sono-pearl-ground-breaking

Nexis4Jersey
February 13th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Facing nearly $4 million in liens, hotel project stalls
Elizabeth Kim
Updated 9:46 pm, Wednesday, February 11, 2015

STAMFORD -- Amid a building boom downtown, Seaboard Properties quickly became one of the most talked-about developers in the city. Over the last several years, the real estate company, led by its CEO and founder, John DiMenna, has snapped up key properties like Park Square West, an apartment complex on Summer Street, 1 Atlantic Street, a boutique historic office building, and the Courtyard Marriott.

But now the developer is attracting attention of a different kind.

Around December, work at Seaboard's seven-story hotel project on Atlantic Street stopped. According to the city's land-use records, the property owner, under the name of Seaboard Hotels Lts Associates LLC, has racked up nearly $3.9 million in liens from unpaid contractors, beginning in November.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Facing-nearly-4-million-in-liens-hotel-project-6076138.php

towerpower123
February 13th, 2015, 05:38 PM
There are a lot of nice developments in Stamford. One of these days, I will finally make the trip out there. Now Seaboard Hotels needs to get their act together and pay their contractors if they expect to get anything done! Are they affiliated with the developer that built the grocery store in the Health Center Garage in New Brunswick?!

Nexis4Jersey
February 23rd, 2015, 08:46 PM
I'm going up there in June to do an overview of Downtown Stamford , Harborpoint , Glenbrook and Springdale neighborhoods in June.

EastMillinocket
February 23rd, 2015, 10:52 PM
I thought that was going to be in March.

Nexis4Jersey
February 23rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
I thought that was going to be in March.

I don't recall saying that I was going in March. I decided to add Glenbrook and Springdale along with the future East Side Station Stop area. So coupled with Downtown and Harborpoint that would be a long walk to do in the Winter. The only trips I have for March are Downtown Bloomfield Redevelopment overview , Glen Ridge , and Downtown Montclair & Hamilton Station on the NEC & Downtown White Plains redevelopment overview and Midtown Manhattan. April I have the Newark and New Haven Cherry Blossom Festivals. May I have National Train Day and Patchogue Redevelopment overview.. So its been pushed to June , but you never know I could bump it up to May or April.

EastMillinocket
February 24th, 2015, 12:45 AM
It was at the end of post #137. But anyway, looks like you've got it all planned out. I have no idea what I am doing this weekend, not to mention two or three months from now.

Nexis4Jersey
February 24th, 2015, 03:08 AM
It was at the end of post #137. But anyway, looks like you've got it all planned out. I have no idea what I am doing this weekend, not to mention two or three months from now.

LOL , I must have forgotten about it and then when I drew up my yearly plans a week after that was posted I put it in June. I think its better for Stamford to be covered in one of the warmer months then beginning of Spring.

Nexis4Jersey
May 24th, 2015, 03:13 AM
Stamford Update from Yesterday

Summer House

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8887/17801155308_74b5169e81_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/t82zhQ)
Stamford&#x27;s Construction Boom (https://flic.kr/p/t82zhQ) by Corey Best (https://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Harborpoint / South End Completed...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8891/17962553096_02c450e698_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tnhMej)
Stamford Rising - South End / Harborpoint (https://flic.kr/p/tnhMej) by Corey Best (https://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8898/17985823062_5cce113738_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tpm3zC)
Stamford Rising - South End / Harborpoint (https://flic.kr/p/tpm3zC) by Corey Best (https://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5462/17989701611_883785aed9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tpFVxa)
Stamford Rising - South End / Harborpoint (https://flic.kr/p/tpFVxa) by Corey Best (https://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/), on Flickr

Nexis4Jersey
May 26th, 2015, 09:10 PM
from wtby4000 on City Data (http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1984810-stamford-development-construction-thread-35.html)

184 Summer St a.k.a. Summer House

http://s9.postimg.org/f0mshdar3/IMG_00000970.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/frfin5d4f/IMG_00000965.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/quujf090v/IMG_00000967.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/zedxcrhdb/IMG_00000968.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/praf31odr/IMG_00000969.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/elg423e7j/IMG_00000974.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/cn9g43lpr/IMG_00000979.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/8fenvcka7/IMG_00000980.jpg

New footpath next to 66 Summer St connecting to Summer Place garage

http://s9.postimg.org/ameb5j06n/IMG_00000973.jpg

Marriott Residence Inn on Atlantic St - 05/23/2015

http://s3.postimg.org/5jwm8d8df/IMG_00000983.jpg
http://s3.postimg.org/464zd2943/IMG_00000984.jpg
http://s3.postimg.org/59p3p0tr7/IMG_00000985.jpg

The 25 Bank Street lot is still empty

http://s8.postimg.org/4e5uexog5/IMG_00000987.jpg

Rippowam Place demolition

http://s9.postimg.org/7tpoz8p7z/IMG_00000972.jpg

At SW corner of Tresser Blvd and Atlantic St, signs are up for a new development, as noted by AntonioR in an earlier post. This new development will incorporate the vacated central post office.

http://s13.postimg.org/zce14w7h3/IMG_00001002.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/ppf48x3vb/IMG_00001009.jpg

The upcoming development

http://s13.postimg.org/cc7dsk9nb/IMG_00001003.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/vmizpql07/IMG_00001007.jpg

South tower

http://s13.postimg.org/go0kvb5xz/IMG_00001004.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/5n0ucjobb/IMG_00001008.jpg

North tower

http://s13.postimg.org/q9u5blx3r/IMG_00001006.jpg

The new Merrell Ave development

http://s7.postimg.org/m98j75wu3/IMG_00001030.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/gsugqisu3/IMG_00001039.jpg

Stamford Hospital

http://s7.postimg.org/ug0iyqmwr/IMG_00001033.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/dyh7ckhbj/IMG_00000976.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
May 27th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Dangerous Stamford railroad crossing gets gates
Alex Gecan
Updated 2:57 pm, Thursday, May 21, 2015

STAMFORD -- City and state officials prayed for an end to car versus train accidents Thursday as they unveiled a new safety gate at one of the Metro-North New Haven Line's most dangerous rail crossings.

The state Department of Transportation, the city and the Riverbend Center office park -- where The Advocate leases office space -- split the $1.27 million cost of installing the new gate arms and new signals at the crossing. The tracks run across one of three entrances to Hope Street office park in Springdale. The other two other crossings in the office park have had gates for some years.

Read More Here : http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Dangerous-Stamford-railroad-crossing-gets-gates-6278505.php#photo-8021318

Nexis4Jersey
May 28th, 2015, 12:17 AM
More from wtby4000 on City Data (http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1984810-stamford-development-construction-thread-37.html)

Here are photos from May 23 of 1032 Hope Street - 88 units/2,200 square feet

http://nebula.wsimg.com/93723209bf957149cd7ddf92a880b9d7?AccessKeyId=EE669 8555D4867DDA54B&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
http://nebula.wsimg.com/4ac79a2cd89cf7b3a59e263df58f7eec?AccessKeyId=EE669 8555D4867DDA54B&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Source : http://www.1032hope.com/

http://s7.postimg.org/w5sg94xnf/IMG_00000950.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/asb0i1bvf/IMG_00000951.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/5jfzk5tgb/IMG_00000952.jpg

And just down the street at Hope St and Fahey St, a 13-unit apartment building was recently constructed.

http://s7.postimg.org/6e74jxqor/IMG_00000956.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/9au5k7wij/IMG_00000957.jpg

And this looks to be a newly constructed commercial building on the north side of Cushing Street

http://s1.postimg.org/7ryi0gn9b/IMG_00000953.jpg

Nexis4Jersey
May 28th, 2015, 12:29 AM
More from wtby4000 on City Data (http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1984810-stamford-development-construction-thread-37.html)

Construction has begun on Morgan Lofts at 111 Morgan Street, a new 175-apt development on Morgan St between Hoyt and Third streets, behind the First Presbyterian (Fish) Church.

First, the renderings:

http://s2.postimg.org/9mhgmeuih/Morgan1.png
http://s18.postimg.org/7sp9c4l2h/Morgan2.png
http://s18.postimg.org/40astibvt/Morgan5.png
http://s18.postimg.org/voxg10yw9/Morgan6.png

Source: Fuller Development llc (http://www.fullerdevelopmentllc.com/)

http://s7.postimg.org/xyqrjptgb/IMG_00000934.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/6mviidopn/IMG_00000935.jpg

the future site of the 992 Summer Street development is still empty. This will eventually be home to 48 units of elderly housing.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/346907/file-1686748226-jpg/images/992_Summer_Street/992-Summer-St-Front-Elevation.jpg?t=1432050248849
Source : http://www.kbarch.com/projects/on-the-boards/992-summer-street

http://s7.postimg.org/vnxata82j/IMG_00000945.jpg

towerpower123
May 28th, 2015, 10:17 PM

1032 is awesome. The others are horrendous!!!

Nexis4Jersey
May 28th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Whats wrong with 111 Morgan Street?

towerpower123
May 28th, 2015, 10:56 PM
I tried to quote the first post on the page but this forum does not quote a quote properly. 111 Morgan is great also.

Nexis4Jersey
June 23rd, 2015, 08:13 PM
Stamford Update from wtby4000 on City Data (http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1984810-stamford-development-construction-thread-40.html)

The old NewAlliance Bank building at 550 Summer Street appears to have gotten a new facade.

Before:

http://o1.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/600x450/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/530b4a31b9f2c165f5a370951630da3b

After

http://s11.postimg.org/njunbe7hv/IMG_00001148.jpg

Construction on new apartment building at 545 Bedford Street on the site of an old funeral parlour.

http://s11.postimg.org/9rg8frgqb/IMG_00001151.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/vyevd7xwz/IMG_00001152.jpg

The 999 Bedford Street building, which has stood empty for more than two years, is now being cleaned and/or renovated.

http://s11.postimg.org/oeh6xffcj/IMG_00001153.jpg

This block bounded by Washington Blvd, Atlantic St, Walter Wheeler Drive and Harbor Point Road is being dug up, probably for new development.

http://s11.postimg.org/8iwy7ve5v/IMG_00001156.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/sc4gmu25v/IMG_00001157.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/ivj8ty7oz/IMG_00001158.jpg

New CVS being built next to Fairway on Canal St.

http://s11.postimg.org/5fw84hz77/IMG_00001159.jpg

New townhouses going up just east of 82 Ludlow St.

http://s11.postimg.org/ki8gf6jqr/IMG_00001163.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/fkuvu2hrn/IMG_00001165.jpg

Newarkguy
June 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Stamford has the what it tskes to be a major US city.
1 Large Downtown
2.Rail access on NE corridor
3 Ocean branch (LI Sound)
4 plenty of land in downtown.
5 MASSIVE "BIG BOX" MUNICIPAL BOUNDARIES.
6 Stamford could easily build dense in downtown and it's port areas and easily rack at least 300 thousand residents.

Nexis4Jersey
June 28th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Stamford has the what it tskes to be a major US city.
1 Large Downtown
2.Rail access on NE corridor
3 Ocean branch (LI Sound)
4 plenty of land in downtown.
5 MASSIVE "BIG BOX" MUNICIPAL BOUNDARIES.
6 Stamford could easily build dense in downtown and it's port areas and easily rack at least 300 thousand residents.

The Density is all over the place...they need to work on making the Downtown Pedestrian friendly...you get 15secs to cross 6 to 8 lanes of traffic... There main train station suffers from overcrowding and a sloppy layout...

Nexis4Jersey
July 21st, 2015, 05:41 PM
Small Stamford Update from wtby4000 on City Data (http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1984810-stamford-development-construction-thread-44.html)

545 Bedford Street - 82 apartment units:

http://s23.postimg.org/7yyjts58b/IMG_00001166.jpg

111 Morgan Street - 175 apartment units

http://s23.postimg.org/9s1gi3qez/IMG_00001168.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/pu3zohq4b/IMG_00001170.jpg