PDA

View Full Version : new york photography books

kidda
July 31st, 2005, 06:15 AM
Hi all,
I am wanting some advice on books to buy featuring photographs of new york buildings. I have seen "one thousand new york buildings" by Bill Harris.
576 pages! is it any good? also "New York Empire city" by David Stravitz.
Advice on these and any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I live in England but can order from Amazon.com no problem.
Thanks, Shaun

robster
July 31st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Get the new americanghetto i ordered it off amazon but its taking ages to come. get it ordered into a bookshop.

Alonzo-ny
July 31st, 2005, 09:41 PM
They sell new york vertical where i get my work on and its gots some good images in black and white

Merry
August 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM
One Thousand New York Buildings is excellent, now available in paperback, a bit smaller in dimension than the hardback but just as good.

It focuses mainly on Manhattan, arranged by neighbourhood starting from Lower Manhattan and ending with Harlem and the Heights, but the other boroughs are also covered.

New York Empire City 1920-1945 is also a treat if you're interested in that period; it includes excellent black and white photos mostly of buildings with a few street scenes and interiors. I would also suggest New York Changing by Douglas Levere, which is a then and now comparison between Berenice Abbott's photos of the '30s and the same views today.

Also:

Manhattan Skyscrapers by Eric P. Nash, containing wonderful photos and information about 75 significant buildings from different periods.

The Landmarks of New York by Barbarlee Diamondstein-Spielvogel, containing photos of every landmark building.

And, of course, the encyclopedic series of architecture books, New York 1880, New York 1900, New York 1930 and New York 1960 by Robert A.M. Stern et al