PDA

View Full Version : Wow, that was unfair and uncalled for

Navigator
August 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the serious response and the resulting closure of my thread, “Student needs your help”. Glad to see a dictator in charge, where’s regime change when you need it. If you knew anything about those sites, which by the way I am registered at the big three, you would now they are very in personable and practically of little use for new grads. With that said, that is why I decided to just try this experiment, no harm in trying an unconventional way in a conventional world. You know this website is a hobby for me and your response and action is the main reason I have not registered before and gave my opinion on some topics. It is just not worth the aggravation of dealing with sarcasm and the felling like what someone contributes are worth less. Examples are found all over this website of this practice. It really is too bad.

NoyokA
August 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Your post:

Hello members, I am newly registered, but have been a daily visitor for years now. I am originally from NY and am now in college in Boston, at Bentley. I am going to be a senior this fall and the job hunt starts September 26th with the school sponsored career fair. I am posting here because I was wondering if anyone could help me out with that. I am a Marketing major with a minor in Law and a heavy concentration in Finance. I have a great resume and can send it to anyone that can help. Thanks in advance to all. Mike

To keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit and post we do not allow advertising, definition: To call the attention of the public to a product or business (and person). Your very first post complete with bold accents was nothing more than a job resume, its no different than the spam we deal with where people are selling art posters, the intent is all the same. If you asked for advice that would be one thing. But ask yourself how does you wanting a job and using up bandwidth for it contribute to the forum? On the other hand this thread is neither spam nor advertising and since we allow open discourse on this forum it is more than welcome to stay open, that said the subject of advertising on the forum pages is closed.

stache
August 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Plus if he's going to be a senior, his spelling and grammar need some help.

BrooklynRider
August 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Plus if he's going to be a senior, his spelling and grammar need some help.

This is why I find this site both informative AND hilarious.

ZippyTheChimp
August 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM
OK, summer is drawing to a close.

Forum members who are students: Find the spelling and grammatical errors. :)

Thanks for the serious response and the resulting closure of my thread, “Student needs your help”. Glad to see a dictator in charge, where’s regime change when you need it. If you knew anything about those sites, which by the way I am registered at the big three, you would now they are very in personable and practically of little use for new grads. With that said, that is why I decided to just try this experiment, no harm in trying an unconventional way in a conventional world. You know this website is a hobby for me and your response and action is the main reason I have not registered before and gave my opinion on some topics. It is just not worth the aggravation of dealing with sarcasm and the felling like what someone contributes are worth less. Examples are found all over this website of this practice. It really is too bad.

BrooklynRider
August 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I'm not a student, but I'm always learning.

Ok - I think I got it all.

...Glad to see a dictator in charge[insert PERIOD here]

Where’s regime change when you need it [insert QUESTION MARK here]

If you knew anything about those sites, which [insert COMMA] by the way [insert COMMA] I am registered at the big three, you would now [you mean "KNOW"] they are very in personable [replace "in personable" with "IMPERSONAL"] and practically of little use for new grads [awkward prepostional phrase - try "and of little practical use TO new grads."]

With that said, that is why ["With that said" and "That is why" are redundant. "That is why" would be the preferable choice here] I decided to just [no need to use the word "just"] try this experiment [insert PERIOD] no harm in trying an unconventional way in a conventional world. [technically you would start that sentence with "THERE IS", but you can get away with starting it with "NO HARM", from a stylistic standpoint.]

You know [insert COMMA] this website is a hobby for me [insert PERIOD] [Delete "AND"] your [Capialize your"] response and action is the main reason I have not registered before and gave [past tense is "GIVEN"] my opinion on some topics.

It is just [optional "JUST" - I prefer you not use it.] not worth the aggravation of dealing with sarcasm and the [delete "THE"] felling ["FEELING"] like what someone [use "I', you are talking about YOUR feelings] contributes ["CONTRIBUTE" (singular)] are [you mean "IS"] worth less ["WORTHLESS" - one word].

Examples are found all over this website of this practice. [Technically not wrong, but awkward. Try "Examples of this practice are found all over this website."]

It really is too bad.

Did I miss any? Am I wrong on any?

I love these types of challenges.

stache
August 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Brooklyn gets an A in my book.

TheTruthTold
January 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hello...

Happened across this thread while searching for help in dealing with people whose personalities include communicating with sarcasm. I'm just your regular human being. While the participants in this thread are unknown to me, I was so distressed after reading the posts that I felt the need to register and comment to hopefully somehow set things right. These communications were just wrong, on so many levels. There are plenty of ways to deal with someone identified as to have been breaking rules, but picking them apart and belittling them is truly not one of them. This was just a kid in college for heaven's sake.

Since this post is so old, perhaps the participants were all quite young, as well -and have grown through the experience of life over time. However, if anyone out there thought this behavior was clever and might still be so compelled as to pick this communication apart, please, stop. First, for the mental health and well being of not only yourself but those whose lives you touch in the future... if you care about what you bring to this world, kindly take a moment to read further.

Know that in essence, the message is that communication with sarcasm is used by 'bullies' whose only purpose, whether they realize, admit it or not, is to cause emotional wounds. Going forward, one would hope that if your communication does not meet the following three points of being kind, true and necessary, then you'll recognize that it's sarcastic.

Since most people say they don't realize they are doing it, please consider thinking twice before you post something that doesn't meet all three. If you identify where it may have fallen short and change it to meet all three criteria, you will still be making your point and at the exact same time, you will make your corner of the universe a better place.

I wish you well and thank you, sincerely, for your time.

stache
January 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
^ Zzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

mariab
January 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
@TheTruthTold: Very eloquently & succinctly put. More often than not a harmless remark is made, & because we can't hear each other's tone of voice or read their facial expression, it descends into mudslinging until neither poster can be taken seriously regardless of how valid their point is. Unfortuantely, none of us can promise it won't happen in the future. Speaking for myself, all I can say is I'll try. ;)

Ninjahedge
January 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Was that a drive-by mommy?

And Stache, are you being a bully? ;)

stache
January 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I carry thorny crowns in a full size range. :p

ZippyTheChimp
January 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Classic trolling.

"I'm just a regular human being." LOL

Ninjahedge
January 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
(S)He's been eating her/his fiber!

Seriously though, good punctuation! ;)

mariab
January 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
If he were trolling, wouldn't he be obnoxious & vicious & insulting everyone? That's usually what trolls do.

ZippyTheChimp
January 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Not if they're any good at it.

An insulting post by a new member gets deleted, or the thread closed. A troll wants to disrupt a forum by taking threads off-topic, or seeding arguments among members.

Look at the post. He "happened across this thread while searching." What search terms would lead you to a 6 year old thread on WNY out of thousands of forums?

More likely, this person happened upon WNY, searched the archives for a suitable thread, and tailored his post to fit the thread. He picked a good one. The post/thread that led to all this is gone. Does anyone remember it?

So basically, we don't know what we're talking about.

That's why I said 'classic.'