PDA

View Full Version : What foreign language you want to learn?

Gab
August 17th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I would like to know what foreign language you want to learn? English is a foreign language for me, because my native language is French but after English it might be Spanish or Russian. How about all of you?

Gab
August 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
You'll work like a dog to study a foreign language(I'm joking). I think you don't have any idea yet.

NYCorBust
August 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Japanese for me.

krulltime
September 1st, 2005, 01:00 AM
Well I know Spanish and English... I think I should learn Chinese (Just because a billion or so speak it) but I will like to learn French!

Schadenfrau
September 1st, 2005, 01:31 AM
Spanish. It's embarrassing that I haven't learned it yet.

Swede
September 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking Farsi. Quite a few Irani in my 'hood (aka little Teheran), so it'd be nice. Plus, let's not forget the cool-factor of a Farsi-speaking blond, blue-eyed Swede...

BrooklynRider
September 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Spanish and Chinese

Miss Liberty
September 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
I'm actually learning English and French at school (mother tongue: German). When I'm in the right mood I'm studying Latin, Spanish and next year I'll start learning some Italian language.

Ninjahedge
September 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Learn Latin first, it will make French, English and Spanish MUCH easier.

You will also be able to get the general meaning of words you have never really heard of before due to your knowledge of some of the words roots.

Languages I would like to learn, just from my own usage:

Chinese (Cantonese, GF and family)
Japanese (Anime addict)
Spanish (Hey, I live in NYC!)

secondary (or tertiary)

German
Italian

Miss Liberty
September 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM

You will also be able to get the general meaning of words you have never really heard of before due to your knowledge of some of the words roots.

Okay, my bad expression. I'm already studying Latin and Spanish, I just want to learn Italian. Yeah, you're right but in school I had no choice. Ihad to start with English and I had to add French two years later. Learning Latin is just a "private joy". I'll maybe need it later so I started this, too.

Miss Liberty
September 3rd, 2005, 08:38 AM

Okay, my bad expression. I'm already studying Latin and Spanish, I just want to learn Italian. Yeah, you're right but in school I had no choice. I had to start with English and I had to add French two years later. Learning Latin is just a "private joy". I'll maybe need it later so I started this, too.

redhot00
September 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
I'm actually learning English and French at school (mother tongue: German). When I'm in the right mood I'm studying Latin, Spanish and next year I'll start learning some Italian language.

I speak Italian fluently, and give lessons on the side. If you come to the city Miss Liberty, I can give you private lessons if you'd like.

Gab
September 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Because of Porto Rican I met in New York, I would like to speak Spanish, I already speak French because it's my native language and I use English frequently when I go in the west side of St-Laurent street in Montreal.

Miss Liberty
September 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I speak Italian fluently, and give lessons on the side. If you come to the city Miss Liberty, I can give you private lessons if you'd like.

Sounds nice but you'd have to wait till 2007 :) . I'm still stucked in Germany and I'm just able to live in New York when I'm studying at university 'cause they are going to pay for it. If you still give lessons then I'm gonna mail you.

shanghaimm
September 15th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I would like to know what foreign language you want to learn? English is a foreign language for me, because my native language is French but after English it might be Spanish or Russian. How about all of you?

I am from Shanghai (http://www.cyber-courier.com/cer/sh/) , I want to learn Cantonese. :)

-----

Gregory Tenenbaum
September 24th, 2005, 11:31 PM
ancient japanese...you know...back in the days when hungarian and japanese were both born from the same language...I believe it was called "Turanic" language group.

Second choice would be northern european late cavemanese.

Gab
October 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
What about French, it's a latin language but it doesn't sound as latin as Spanish,Italian,Portuguese and Romanian?

Gab
October 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Languages I would like to learn, just from my own usage:

Chinese (Cantonese, GF and family)
Japanese (Anime addict)
Spanish (Hey, I live in NYC!)

secondary (or tertiary)

German
Italian

I didn't learn Latin and I already know French.

Schadenfrau
October 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM
That's really surprising, considering that you live in a dual-language province, Gab.

Gab
October 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM
That's really surprising, considering that you live in a dual-language province, Gab. What does surprise you? At least I have chance to speak English every day otherwise I would lose my English due of lack of practice.

Gregory Tenenbaum
October 27th, 2005, 04:38 AM
French is good.

They don't have any cavemanese books at B&N technical store on 5th.

I suppose I will have to study it at a university.

Your all invited to my first "Speak Like a Caveman Party" when I have finished my studies in oh, about, 10 years.

You think you live in a cultured society and find you cant even get books on something as common as this - I mean we all used to speak it, right? SHEESH!

Gab
November 4th, 2005, 02:08 PM
French is good.

They don't have any cavemanese books at B&N technical store on 5th.

I suppose I will have to study it at a university.

Your all invited to my first "Speak Like a Caveman Party" when I have finished my studies in oh, about, 10 years.

You think you live in a cultured society and find you cant even get books on something as common as this - I mean we all used to speak it, right? SHEESH!

Do you know how to speak French? Did you consult the Bescherelle's verb book? En tout cas, j'aime la corruption quand ça fait mon affaire aussi le capitaliste quand ça fait mon affaire et les idées de gauche seulement quand ça fait mon affaire.

Mix106
November 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM
What about portuguese?
Why dont you guys learn portuguese?
I can be your teacher! :p

This is a pure latin language!

How about this?-> Aprender portugues e como ter um orgasmo!:D:D:D

lofter1
November 26th, 2005, 10:27 AM
When I was making plans to visit Portugal (which I did and loved -- fantastic, beautiful country -- except for the guy who managed to steal my wallet on the bus from the train station to central Lisbon :mad: ) I was concerned about the language as I only spoke some Spanish and even less Italian. With my rudimentary background in romance languages everyone assured me that understanding Portuguese would be no problem. Haha -- it was nearly impossible for me to understand a single spoken word (although I could make out written Portuguese to a sufficient degree).

Mix106: Just learning the language will assure better orgasms :D ?

Mix106
November 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
"Just learning the language will assure better orgasms :D ? "
Kinda like that! ehehehe :D
Did you use a translator?
If you didnt, congratulations!!!;)
---
I am so sorry about what happened to you in central Lisbon (maybe near Restauradores or Rossio or Praça da Figueira???)... That specific spot is becoming more and more a "Grand Theft Wallet" spot. Why? Because many visitors like to see old statues and huge old monasteries(Kinda like Torre de Belém and Mosteiro dos Jerónimos). Did you visit one of these?

I've created a thread with pictures of Portugal.
Enjoy it!

Mix106
November 28th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Dont let this interesting thread die!!!:D

dada
December 28th, 2005, 12:57 AM
I speak russian it is my native language, just wondering why would you want to learn russian, anyways i am thinking to learn italian.

Mix106
December 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Finally a reply!!!
BTW, I think you should learn portuguese!!! Its cool to learn and it is a pure latin language just like italian is...

Mix106

lofter1
December 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I speak russian it is my native language, just wondering why would you want to learn russian, anyways i am thinking to learn italian.
Italian is a beautiful language.

My Italian friends think I'm crazy for wanting to learn Italian -- they claim it is a dying language and useless.

But if I didn't learn Italian how would I talk with them? And how would I make them laugh so much???

My italian has been dubbed "Italianese" -- since it is a very unique combination of Italiano and Inglese.

But I keep trying ...

ANNA_NYC
January 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
well i speak ENGLISH, ALBANIAN, ITALIAN, and some SPANISH ( if i read it i understand it more). i always wanted to learn arabic and chinese. :) but i can read in 8 languages all together. ;)

lofter1
January 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM
well i speak ENGLISH, ALBANIAN, ITALIAN, and some SPANISH ( if i read it i understand it more) ... but i can read in 8 languages all together.
Wow ... It seems you were educated somewhere other than the USA, yes?

Freebird
January 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
For me I would love to learn Italian mainly because it is a beautiful language but also because my mum would have loved me to have (she not around any more)
But it will have to wait until the end of other countless studies I guess....
which would be better for me to learn do you think for my New York times? Spanish or Italian?

ASchwarz
January 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Native fluency in German; horrible French and even worse Spanish.

evil_synth
January 9th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Well, I know English and can write/translate and speak Latin (for what purpose? I'm not sure other than to say that I speak Latin) I hope to learn German, Italian, and Japanese and or Chinese

lofter1
January 9th, 2006, 11:52 PM
which would be better for me to learn ... Spanish or Italian?
For practical purposes Spanish is far more widely spoken than Italian.

But Italian is Italian ...