PDA

View Full Version : Red Hook To West 57th

kevinny657
August 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Coming back next year on the Queen Mary2, This will then dock at Pier 12 Red Hook, any idea of the best way to get to the Holiday inn west 57th & 9th, Taxi over the Brooklyn Bridge or is there a better way?
Thanks

Kevin

ASchwarz
August 19th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Coming back next year on the Queen Mary2, This will then dock at Pier 12 Red Hook, any idea of the best way to get to the Holiday inn west 57th & 9th, Taxi over the Brooklyn Bridge or is there a better way?
Thanks

Kevin

Just take the F train from Carroll Street to 57th Street.

kevinny657
August 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
will have 3 cases and a wife, so how far is the subway?

ZippyTheChimp
August 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM
The subway station is more than one mile away - not a good option if you have luggage.

I'm just guessing, but I think there will be bus routes established from the pier to key places in Manhattan, and probably ferry service. There is a new ferry terminal at W39th and 12th Ave that should be completed soon. You might get your triip up the Hudson to Midtown after all.

Other than that, your best bet is a taxi. There will be plenty waiting when the ship arrives.

kevinny657
August 19th, 2005, 05:17 PM
A Taxi is what i would do , just wondered what way it would go.

NYatKNIGHT
August 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I'm sure they'll have shuttles. They can't let all the passengers from the biggest ship in the world off in Red Hook and expect them all to get cabs.

kevinny657
August 19th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for that.

Kevin

ablarc
August 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Most of what you say is true, CMANDALA, but I tell NY cabbies which way to go all the time, and I never get any reaction except delight and pride that an out-of-towner is so enthralled with this beautiful city that he wants a scenic cab ride. It's all in the attitude; if you're humble and don't come on like a know-it-all you'll be amazed at what ol' softies these cabbies really are, and how pleasant and knowledgeable they can be as conversationalists or even tourguides. At the end of the often circuitous ride I generally give a nice tip to leave them with a warm and fuzzy feeling about the "sacrifice" (what sacrifice?) they've just made. What's an extra buck or two?

Try it some time, but remember: it's all in the attitude.

People will often play whatever role you cast them in.