PDA

View Full Version : Making A Living In NYC?

Houston2Humid
August 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Hey guys and gals. I am a 21 year old currently living in Houston Texas. Houston is decent but not great. I have always had a great interest in NYC. My question is, can someone with just a high school dilpoma and a year of college find a job that can provide a decent living In NYC?. I am not married, no kids, so it is just me. Only problem I see is that NYC is quite a bit more expensive than Houston. What kind of jobs should I look into? Maybe something for the city? Manual labor? Administrative work? I don't have one specific skill, but I learn quick and work hard.

Could someone live in NYC or the surrounding area for $30,000-$40,000?

All suggestions and opinions are welcomed. Thanks!!

ablarc
August 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
If you're good looking you can. I know a 17-year old kid who showed up in New York and was offered a job as a photographer's model for clothing ads. He didn't even try very hard. But he does look great.

ryan
August 25th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Could someone live in NYC or the surrounding area for $30,000-$40,000?

Yes, absolutely. If you're ok with roommates & bohemia, you'll have fun.

BrooklynRider
August 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Depends on your determination. Education means less that skills and output. Hard workers can always find job.

Houston2Humid
August 28th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Yes, absolutely. If you're ok with roommates & bohemia, you'll have fun.

Dumb question, but what is Bohemia?

ryan
August 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM
In a nutshell, living simply, for experiences rather than for material accumulation.

HarlemRep
August 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I'm doing quite well off just a GED. You can too. Lots of opportunities everywhere! Check out something like newyork.craigslist.org for jobs.

miyom
September 8th, 2005, 05:29 PM
hey Harlem, i've put my self in a similar situation. if your okay with divulging information could you tell me what type of work you do and your living situation?

do you live with roommates?
what kind of neighborhood/area do you live in?
is your paycheck gone after you pay rent and utilities?

someone told to not bother going unless i have a college degree and professional experience, two things of which i have neither.
please give as much info as you can. i'm trying to get a decent picture of what i should prepare for and expect.

winneythepooh7
September 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
If you don't have a champagne appetite, and don't get caught up with the people who think that going out in Manhattan every night is real life, you will do fine on a salary like that. Although you may need a roommate. I was lucky because I found a basement apartment, so my rent is much less. Manhattan rents start in the thousands per month, as well as many apartments now in the outerboros. Be prepared that NYC is flooded with people looking for work. I thought that getting a Master's degree would put me at an advantage, however, I had to settle for a job that I often hate because there is just nothing else out there, or if there is, I would have to make even less money. So many people have Master's degrees these days. With a HS diploma, you can probably find something with benefits, at 20-30K per year. I think finding a job in NYC these days comes down to luck and who you know. Also everything is lots more expensive here. I have a 2003 Ford Focus and because my car was off the road for several years, I was put back into a "high risk pool" for insurance. I was paying $332 a month for car insurance. Most people can live without a car, but I need it because I work in Queens and have to be at my clients houses in a moments notice, and most of Queens is not easily accessible by public transit. Plus I spend most of my weekends out of the city so I am not going to depend on public transportation. One thing that I like to always tell people who have never lived in NYC, is that Real NY and Fictional NY are not the same thing. If you have been watching Sex and the City, for instance, that is not real life. Living in NYC for the average 20 and 30 something can be and is a real struggle financially.

winneythepooh7
September 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
A cool site for 20-somethings to check out is www.quarterlifecrisis.com (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com). There are a bunch of us on there living in NYC (which is more than Manhattan by the way ;), and we have started lots of threads about this same topic. Check out the forums section like this on that site.

lofter1
September 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
someone told to not bother going unless i have a college degree and professional experience.
Neither of those are necessary, if:

1. You know what you want
2. You have determination
3. You have imagination
4. You have perseverance
5. You don't spend all your time partying (though that hasn't hurt some people I know)

Unfortunately none of these 5 things (or the combination of all) will guarantee you success in NYC.

As those little ragamuffins said, "It's a hard-knock life".

But if it's in your dream to try NYC you gotta do it.

And remember you can always leave the island ...

(One thing that worked for me: give yourself a schedule for achieving specific things: i.e.: "x" time to find an apartment, "x" time to be working in the field you want, etc.)

miyom
September 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Neither of those are necessary, if:

1. You know what you want
2. You have determination
3. You have imagination
4. You have perseverance
5. You don't spend all your time partying (though that hasn't hurt some people I know)

Yeah, I don't have any of those things either. I am not pursuing goals or having dreams. It's not that I don't want to, I just haven't got any. I'm also not motivated as I require motivation to be motivated;cyclic. Besides, if had those things I would have graduated college, which would eliminate much of my ordeal. Don't get me wrong. I'm not lazy or irresponsible, but I am lacking numbers 1-5.

I totally get what your saying though, awesome advice. I'm not an awesome person though. I don't want to do anything more than experience life, eat and have a place to sleep. fini.

Annnnd...thanks winneythepooh7 really good site. I've already spent way too much time there when I should be working.

lofter1
September 9th, 2005, 09:15 PM
^ Then come and enjoy ...