PDA

View Full Version : NYC Walking guide/help

pinkfloydian1
August 25th, 2005, 01:48 AM
hey guys,

I live right in jersey and i come to the city at least 2-3 times a month either by train or car. I understand the basics of the city, say i get on the PATH and get off at 33rd and 7th , i would know how to get to time square or where my friend lives at 43rd and 8th. but im not 100% positive on everything. how would i get from 33rd street to the village. Or how do i know which way im walking(besides the obvious that the street #'s going up/down when i should be going oposite of that). Are there any ryhems or easy to remeber things? thanks

redhot00
August 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Here's a trick. Traffic flow on Seventh Avenue runs downtown. So if you're on Seventh and want to walk to Greenwich Village, just walk in the same direction traffic is going. If you're on Seventh and want to walk to Times Square, walk in the opposite direction of traffic flow.

pinkfloydian1
August 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
and i take it learning the street names in the village comes with time? so whereever i am in the city, say 8th ave. to get to greenwhich village i would go against traffic?

ryan
August 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
When I was fresh to NYC, I just look up or down an avenue to find a landmark. Empire State is north, WTC (or now woolworth) is south.

redhot00
August 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
It helps to know which direction the traffic flows on streets and avenues. For example, yes, on Eighth Avenue the traffic flows uptown or away from Greenwich Village. But for the most part, the more time you spend in the city, you'll just develop a feel for where you are and which direction is uptown and which is downtown.

By the way, if you are at Penn Station and want to go to the Village, a downtown 1 train will take you to the Christopher St/Sheridan Square Station in no time.

ebrigham
August 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Also, there is a PATH stop right on 14th and 6th. If you make sure to get off on the south side of 14th, you are in the village! On the north side, you are in chelsea! How convenient is that?

NYatKNIGHT
August 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
There are also PATH stops on 9th and Christopher, even more Village.

From 33rd St. PATH station you can walk to Times Square or your friend's at 43rd and 8th - I'd walk, it's not so far. Generally, even numbered streets go east, odd numbered streets go west. And from 5th Avenue west, even avenues go uptown, odd avenues go downtown.

But it helps if you familiarize yourself with the subways and maps, and the best way to do that is to get on them. Before long you'll get better at remembering where they all lead.