PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Assassination Attempts

BrooklynRider
August 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM
There have been thirteen assassination attempts on U.S. presidents in the course of our country's history. Four attempts were successful. Some attempts were well planned, while others were lame-brained. Here is a list of the Commander-In-Chiefs they were gunning for, but somehow missed. In hindsight, which plan should have better executed and ended in success?

redhot00
August 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM
It seems to me hypocritical to call Pat Robertson to the carpet for his words on one day and than ask a question like this on the next. What is the difference really?

BrooklynRider
August 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Hypocrisy reigns supreme. I'm not advocating killing anyone. I'm not inciting the murder of anyone. I am asking a question based on the historical record of this country. With assassination in the news, it's a relevant - however tasteless - question.

You might need this test....

http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/humor.html

Schadenfrau
August 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Darn, I'm the only person to vote? I guess it's no secret who I gunned for.

BrooklynRider
August 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I forgot to vote myself. I'm now counted.

lofter1
August 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
When considering this question you have to take into account who was VP at the time, and what effect the elevation of that person to Pres. would have on events.

For example, if Nixon were taken out then that would (at one time) left the USA with Pres. Spiro Agnew!! OMG -- consider the consequences.

Similarly, if Reagan had been killed in the Hinckley attempt in '81 then GB1 would have become Pres. -- and if re-elected in '84 would not have been able to run in '88. How would that have changed history?

Therefore I choose to pass on this one -- too many variables.

Ninjahedge
August 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I am in the same boat.

I am more in favor of Reagan and Nixon, but I do not want anyone dead.

Also their assasinations would not push us away from the things I did not like about their positions. Indeed, it woudl make a martyr out of them and serve to promote whatever was in objection.

Getting rid of a popular president liek Reagan, although I disagreed with MANY of his policies, would not have served to change them. They would have most likely been reinforced and supported more fervently.

ZippyTheChimp
August 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I have stolen Zippy's ID and vote for Bill Clinton.

Regards,

Ann

Schadenfrau
August 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Ha!