PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker Speaker's corner

Miss Liberty
August 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I want your voice!

I'm writing a travel guide about New York and I want to put in some personal comments of real New Yorkers.

There are some questions I'd like you to answer to.
Here they are:

1.) What do you think is the magic about New York?
2.) Could you imagine to leave New York? Why?/Why not?
3.) What's your favourite spot in New York? What's the first thing to visit you would suggest to a tourist?
4.) What defines a real New Yorker?

If you don't want everybody to watch your answer you can also write a private message or e-mail me. Everything I need (except for the answer) is your first name and maybe age and job (not neccessary).
I'm also searching for people who want to advertise for the borough they are from (the big five Brooklyn, Bronx, ...., you know). If you have something to tell about it, do it. History, figures,.... whatever you want.
I hope that I'll get a lot of responses but I think you'll have a lot to tell!
Thanks anyway, Missy.

ryan
August 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM
3.) What's your favourite spot in New York? What's the first thing to visit you would suggest to a tourist?

Grand Central Terminal. It's the one thing that never disappoints my fussy visitors. There's a lot to see without a lot of walking, it has bathrooms, any store you need & food of different qualities, and it's just a really beautiful and unique place. I'm not the right person to answer your other questions, but good luck with them...

Miss Liberty
August 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I was hoping for a little more euphoria (just kiddin'). Come on, I know that there are a lot of people who could give interesting answers. Don't be shy :-)!

NYatKNIGHT
August 30th, 2005, 04:33 PM
The answers, for me anyway, are way too involved to write out casually in an internet forum. I'd prefer to answer over drinks.

But there are many threads here that these topics have been discussed - have you searched at all?

Miss Liberty
August 31st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I had a look at some threads but I want no general answer. I want a personal opinion. And I want to get it from someone who wants to answer. I don't want to copy from other threads.

Miss Liberty
September 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm still waiting for some more response!
Who loves New York so much that he's (or she's) able to explain why? I want some personal opinions and y'all get the chance to advertise for New York.
C'mon, let's go!

BrooklynRider
September 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I emailed you earlier, but one other point I'd like to make that distinguish's New York. It was not founded as a colony by people seeking to escape religious persecution. It was not British.

It was founded by the Dutch, who were traditionally more tolerant. And, it was founded as an outpost of a corporation, The Dutch West India Company. The colony, stretching fron Delaware to Connecticut was tolerant of differences in people. It was a colony that sought out fair treaties of trade and peace with the indigenous people. It was as liberal and progressive in its day as Amsterdam is in this day.

I think New York retains its distinct Dutch heritage, despite the fact that our British forefathers would have it that we forget it ever existed.