PDA

View Full Version : Storefront buildings

Tex
September 5th, 2005, 12:05 AM
How big are most storefront buildings in New York? The buildings with a retail store on the bottom front of the building, with apartments above that. In smaller towns you will find usually two stories, or three at the most. I thought that in New York they would tend to be taller due to prices of real estate. But I'm surprised to see a lot of three story buildings of this type when I watch movies filmed there.

Schadenfrau
September 5th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Most older buildings in mixed-use areas have storefronts on blocks along major streets. These types of buildings generally vary from 4-8 or so stories.

Schadenfrau
September 5th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I guess it could be anything. The first post didn't really specify.

Tex
September 5th, 2005, 03:52 AM
It can be other than a storefront building. As far as what's above, it could be apartments, offices, whatever. I don't know what is usually in them.

I was differentiating them from regular apartment buildings. Like the ones with a front stoop. But maybe they're the same type of building otherwise.

Schadenfrau
September 5th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I'd venture that apartments with a stoop are actually not prevalent. I'm not sure where to verify this, but I always see a pretty even mix of storefront buildings, stoopfront buildings and larger apartment buildings with neither stoops nor storefronts.

Are you wondering about any neighborhood in particular?

Tex
September 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I'm mainly curious about Manhattan. I don't know much about the different neighborhoods within that.

Are there very many one story buildings in Manhattan? Are there any houses at all? I know there are houses in Queens.

Schadenfrau
September 5th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I think the only place you're likely to find one-story buildings in NYC is in Staten Island.

Basically, storefront buildings are prevelant on avenues and major cross-streets throughout the city and especially in Manhattan. Buildings without commercial space on the first level are more popular on strictly residential avenues.

I've never thought about it before, but this subject is actually very difficult to explain to non-city dwellers.

Tex
September 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM
It actually sounds very logical.

I'm also interested in the apartment buildings. They call them brownstone. Have they lasted for decades and decades? It seems as if they were built to last.

Tex
September 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I live in Texas. I ask about brownstone because I've heard New Yorkers say it as if to indicate a type of building, although I'm more curious about how old some of the apartments/houses are, and the reasons why the material is used, rather than the inner structures. Most apartments where I live are made of wood.

I picture the "Seinfeld" apartments as brownstone but I'm not sure if they are. They look brown. Are they more expensive to live in?

lofter1
September 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Many lots in NYC are 25 feet wide. Often lots were combined to create larger buildings.

Many storefronts are 25 feet wide -- and then the depth of the particular building (which depends on the block).

Tex
September 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
That's all excellent information. Thanks.

As far as the "Cosby Show", I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember them living in a nice building. For some reason I assumed it was Chicago, but I never paid attention to that. Someone I met from Chicago a couple of years ago told me that apartments/condos in downtown Chicago had risen drastically since he was a kid, due to renewed interest. I assume he means the last 10 or 20 years. He "blamed" the fascination with downtown Chicago on the many television shows which had been set there. I'm not sure what shows he was referring to, though.