PDA

View Full Version : Penn Station Baggage Check

Wirey
September 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
My girlfriend and I are renting an aprtment in Manhattan for 7 nights in October. Check out time is 11am and we have about 6 hours from then until we have to get to Newark to fly home. The apartment rental company is looking for $100 for us to keep the apartment for those few hours but has suggested that, if we purchase a ticket (the cheapest possible since we probably won't use it), we can leave bags at Penn Station). Couple of questions, then: First, is this true? Second, if it is, we'll be looking to do it on a Monday at around 11.30-midday, does the baggage check ever fill up? I obviously don't want to turn down the apartment option, expensive as it is, only to find we're stuck with our luggage for the day.

Thanks.

lofter1
September 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM
There are no longer any lockers for baggage storage at Penn Station.
Are you traveling AMTRAK? They might have baggage check but you should definitely research that beforehand.

Edward
September 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Is there a doorman in the building? If there is, perhaps you can leave the luggage with him.

Wirey
September 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks. I'm not traveling AMTRAK but the advice I was given was to buy a ticket whether or not I planned to travel and that would allow me access to the baggage check. I'm pretty certain there's no doorman. There is an office and we left bags there when I stayed 6 years ago. The email from the property company pointed out, however, that there's no storage now so I'm assuming a change in policy.

Tex
September 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
This reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye, the funniest book ever written. The main character gets kicked out of school the week before Christmas and spends a few days in New York City (getting there by train) before he goes home. After he leaves a hotel after a night he puts his bags in a Penn Station locker.

lofter1
September 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM
...he puts his bags in a Penn Station locker.
All that changed after 9/11 ... Security trumps everything nowadays (sometimes to ridiculous levels -- I had to take my belt off and throw out my bottled water when I went to renew my passport in Manhattan last week).

Tex
September 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM
What was wrong with the belt?

I assume the water bottle was considered a possible chemical container.