PDA

View Full Version : Manual car in NYC

winnerpl2
September 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Hey guys I live in Queens do you think a manual car will do in NYC. I mean is the stop & go/traffic driving tolerable?

lofter1
September 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM
If you're comfortable driving a stick shift then it will be no problem in NYC.

winnerpl2
September 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I'm sure I'll be comfortable. I'm just worried that it'll be VERY exhausting to constantly use the clutch.

I'm split 50/50 right now, and so is the breakdown on my friends who say manual or auto.

Edward
September 10th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Depends where you go from where and when. Sometimes traffic is fine.

winnerpl2
September 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Most of the time I commute between Queens and Manhattan.

lofter1
September 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Best to park the car in Queens and take public transport, as parking in Manhattan will cost you an arm + leg.

I personally prefer driving a stick shift, no matter where I'm driving.

ZippyTheChimp
September 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I drive a stick shift because it forces me to be more alert (also more fun), but I would never drive any car, on a regular basis, in traffic conditions where it would be an annoyance to shift gears. Which brings up the question...

Most of the time I commute between Queens and Manhattan....Why do you want to drive-commute from Queens to Manhattan?

After a while, the drive itself becomes "exhausting." Just take the subway or LIRR, read a book, a newspaper, plug in an IPod - and relax.

winnerpl2
September 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM
...Why do you want to drive-commute from Queens to Manhattan?

After a while, the drive itself becomes "exhausting." Just take the subway or LIRR, read a book, a newspaper, plug in an IPod - and relax.

Because I've taken the bus & train for the past four years and I'm tired of it. It takes me longer and I have to take the bus to the subway and then switch to another train.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.