PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hotel and tour

Alexa
September 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I am coming to New York for a week in October and have several questions. Any help or opinions would be so appreciated!

1. We booked a room at the 414 Inn on 46th. street, only 2 blocks from Time Square. Has anyone here heard of this hotel and is it a nice one? All of the reviews I have read on it range from really positive to simply *Okay*.

2. Does anyone have an opinion of the tours one can take? I am looking at the Grayline tours. www.graylinenewyork.com (http://www.graylinenewyork.com/) These are hop on/hop off tours on a double decker bus. Is this a good way to get an overall look at each section of the city?

3.I was also told I should take a stroll through Balducci's Market. Any opinions on that would be welcome, also.

4.I am really into the culture of a place, so I want to get a feel for every day life there, and as a real estate broker I am very much into architecture, so I want to see all of the neighborhoods like Chelsea, Soho, Chinatown, etc. The New York Guide book I have suggests several tour companies and it mentions a group of New Yorkers who volunteer to give free neighborhood tours. Their website is www.bigapplegreeter.org (http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/) Has anyone heard of these tours or know if this is worthwhile?

5. What can I expect to pay for lunch and dinner there? We are talking moderately priced meals..... Lunch for me would be a light meal. I want to try a slice of pizza and a vender hot dog, but other than that I am someone who works out a lot so I tend to eat small, healthy meals. In the evenings we will want a nice dinner, but going to elaborate and expensive restaurants is not a big deal to us. We would rather spend our money on entertainment and seeing the city.

6. I have tickets to Rent and Spamalot. Are those good choices?

7. Has anyone taken the Adirondack tour on Amtrak? When we leave New York we are scheduled to take that tour. It goes through upstate NY on the edge of Vermont, and then into Montreal, where we will spend one night. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what they thought of it.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Edward
September 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM
You can do better than "Rent"

BrooklynRider
September 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I am coming to New York for a week in October and have several questions. Any help or opinions would be so appreciated!

1. We booked a room at the 414 Inn on 46th. street, only 2 blocks from Time Square. Has anyone here heard of this hotel and is it a nice one? All of the reviews I have read on it range from really positive to simply *Okay*.

Not familiar with it, but it sounds as though you won't be spending too much time in your room. Meals in that area will be expensive. For breakfast, head below 40th Street.

2. Does anyone have an opinion of the tours one can take? I am looking at the Grayline tours. www.graylinenewyork.com (http://www.graylinenewyork.com/) These are hop on/hop off tours on a double decker bus. Is this a good way to get an overall look at each section of the city?

Grayline is one of the best. You should be aware there are a number of tours, which take you through or close to most neighborhoods: Uptown Loop, Downtown Loop, Brooklyn Tour, and Twilight / Evening Tour.

3.I was also told I should take a stroll through Balducci's Market. Any opinions on that would be welcome, also.

Balducci's closed and will re-open on 14th Street. For this type of food-oriented shopping experience, head up Broadway into the West 70's. Visit Fairway, Zabar's and Cirarella.

4.I am really into the culture of a place, so I want to get a feel for every day life there, and as a real estate broker I am very much into architecture, so I want to see all of the neighborhoods like Chelsea, Soho, Chinatown, etc. The New York Guide book I have suggests several tour companies and it mentions a group of New Yorkers who volunteer to give free neighborhood tours. Their website is www.bigapplegreeter.org (http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/) Has anyone heard of these tours or know if this is worthwhile?

There are New Yorkers of every stripe and socio-economic level. I'm not sure everyday life is the same for each person. I'll leave this answer up to someone else.

5. What can I expect to pay for lunch and dinner there? We are talking moderately priced meals..... Lunch for me would be a light meal. I want to try a slice of pizza and a vender hot dog, but other than that I am someone who works out a lot so I tend to eat small, healthy meals. In the evenings we will want a nice dinner, but going to elaborate and expensive restaurants is not a big deal to us. We would rather spend our money on entertainment and seeing the city.

Breafsat can be from $3.00 to $10.00 each
Lunch can be from $5.00 - $15.00
Dinner can be from $15.00 to $50.00 each.

6. I have tickets to Rent and Spamalot. Are those good choices?

Despite Edwards panning of Rent, I loved it. It won the Tony Award for Best Musical, The Pultizer Prize for Theater and just about every award a Broadway Musical can collect. Spamalot was fun, but it is more fun if you are a fan of the movie (I wasn't ). You made two strong choices. You will enjoy them. If you have time for any others, see Doubt, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Lion King.

7. Has anyone taken the Adirondack tour on Amtrak? When we leave New York we are scheduled to take that tour. It goes through upstate NY on the edge of Vermont, and then into Montreal, where we will spend one night. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what they thought of it.

I've taken it up to Plattsburgh. That's two stops short of Montreal. The scenery is breathtaking. During the first 90 minutes, most of the views will be out the left (forward-facing north) side. Ultimately, the best views will be out the right side. This is a brilliant choice for sighseeing upstate New York. I can't recommend anyplace inmontreal, but suggest you practice your French. It is very French up there.

Alexa
September 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks, that helped so much! The reviews say the hotel is a small, quaint, boutique style hotel and the rooms cam sometimes be small, but comfortable.... not fancy but nice, and clean. The drawback is it has no elevators or room service. We are paying $218 per night for this hotel Mon-Wed. and then the price goes up to $309 per night Thursday and Friday. This includes taxes. Does that seem about right for a decent room in New York? It was actually very hard to find a room at all! Since that is the beginning of the busy season (as I am told), almost every hotel we called was already booked. I read all the reviews again and I did get a positive response from someone on Fodor's who is familiar with the hotel so it looks like it will be fine. I was just curious about the price. I know hotel prices (and everything else) are more expensive in New York and I do like staying in a place that is safe and comfortable, but we could go see another Broadway Play for the $309 we will be paying some nights for that hotel. Oh well..........

Thanks for the tips on the Plays, too. I would love to see more, I just don't know how we are going to fit everything in as it is. We have tickets to Good Morning America and we want to see all the normal tourist stuff like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, and Central Park. In addition to that I want to tour all the neighborhoods I can. We've got 5 1/2 days to do this in before boarding the Amtrak for the Adirondack Tour. It's going to be a busy week!

Any suggestions on Must See Places, or places to eat, is more than appreciated!

ryan
September 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Balducci's closed and will re-open on 14th Street. For this type of food-oriented shopping experience, head up Broadway into the West 70's. Visit Fairway, Zabar's and Cirarella.

You can also just hit Dean & Deluca on Broadway in Soho, if you're going to be there anyway. There's also a foodie block on Bleeker St near 6th ave (in the west village, which is a can't-miss neighorhood) with Murray's Cheese (http://www.murrayscheese.com/) and a spice shop that are both suitably over-the-top... If you're a small eater, you can buy small extravagances from each, though these spots are obviously expensive for full meals.

lofter1
September 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
MoMA ( Museum of Modern Art -- I understand that at some point in October they are waiving the $20 admission fee -- check their website: http://www.moma.org/ )

Museum of the American Indian in the old Customs House across from Battery Park (free admission always)

Alexa
September 12th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Excellent! Thanks to each of you for all the info. I left out one thing.......what can I expect the weather to be like? We will be coming around the first to the middle of October.

ryan
September 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Beautiful weather in mid October - short sleeves to light jacket.

Alexa
September 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Someone suggested I check out places like furnishedquarters.com and newyorkhabitat.com for furnished apartment rentals instead of the hotel. I checked the sites and the apartments appear to be nice and they are also cheaper than the hotel room. I can get some studio and one bedroom apartments for $169 per night instead of the $218 to $302 I was supposed to pay for the hotel room.

I am wondering if any of you here are familiar with these apartment rentals and if they are as good as they sound? It's hard to believe I could possibly get an actual apartment, some complete with a doorman, for so much less than a hotel.

Also, when you go to the sites they request you view the apartments by the area you want to stay in, such as Midtown East, Midtown West, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Uptown, etc. The hotel we booked is in Midtown and two blocks from Times Square so I am wondering which areas I would want to use in my search for an apartment rental to keep me in close vicinity to the theater district, Times Square, etc.

lofter1
September 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I am wondering which areas I would want to use in my search for an apartment rental to keep me in close vicinity to the theater district, Times Square, etc.
Midtown, Midtown West, Chelsea

ManhattanKnight
September 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
It's hard to believe I could possibly get an actual apartment, some complete with a doorman, for so much less than a hotel.

Also, when you go to the sites they request you view the apartments by the area you want to stay in, such as Midtown East, Midtown West, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Uptown, etc. The hotel we booked is in Midtown and two blocks from Times Square so I am wondering which areas I would want to use in my search for an apartment rental to keep me in close vicinity to the theater district, Times Square, etc.

You might consider whether you're unnecessarily limiting yourself by seeking accomodations only in "close vicinity to the theater district, Times Square, etc." and excluding neighborhoods that offer a change of pace and texture, such as the Village, and are just a few subway or bus stops away from Midtown (and where you could actually see and meet someone not a fellow tourist). If I were a visitor, for example, I think that I would love to stay here, to pick just one example: http://www.roomstolet.net/.

redhot00
September 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Like another poster said, Balducci's has closed, but if you are into that sort of thing, and who isn't, Chelsea Market is something that might interest you. It is very close to where the new Balducci's is going to re-open. Here's a link

http://www.chelseamarket.com/enter/themarket.html

Alexa
September 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM
You might consider whether you're unnecessarily limiting yourself by seeking accomodations only in "close vicinity to the theater district, Times Square, etc." and excluding neighborhoods that offer a change of pace and texture, such as the Village, and are just a few subway or bus stops away from Midtown (and where you could actually see and meet someone not a fellow tourist). If I were a visitor, for example, I think that I would love to stay here, to pick just one example: http://www.roomstolet.net/.

WOW! Thank You........I LOVE this place. I just called and left them a voicemail to find out more.

I also checked out the Chelsea Market link posted by redhot00 and I will definitely be going there.

You have all been so helpful. I truly appreciate it.