PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels and moving buildings

joe_ireland
September 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi all this is my first post, i'm from Dublin Ireland; just recently returned from NY and I've completely fallen in love with the city, so much so i'm going back twice next year.
Just a couple of questions when we went down to battery park i noticed people running away from the squirrels, just wondered why as any time i've been to a park here people love to feed squirrels.
Secondly both myself and my wife noticed on occasion the ground seemed to move a little from side to side, like being on a boat but not as dramatic then we mentioned it to our friends at the airport who also noticed the same thing.
When we got home I searched the net to find out what this might be but to no avail.
Then I asked friends who had lived in NY for a time and they just looked at us strangely and said it was probably too much beer! Just curious has anyone ever come accross this before.

ryan
September 19th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Some people in NYC seem to me to be irrationally afraid of nature - and lots of people equate squirrels with rats - so I wouldn't be surprised by someone running away, but I've yet to see a squirrel chase a person regardless of how the person felt about the squirrel.

As for the ground moving... I think your friends might be right about the beer.

lofter1
September 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Secondly both myself and my wife noticed on occasion the ground seemed to move a little from side to side, like being on a boat but not as dramatic...
Had you by any chance just gotten off of the Staten Island Ferry or any of the other boats that go out into the harbor?
If so, it could be that your equilibrium hadn't yet gotten it's "land legs" back.
If not, who knows? Maybe deliriously in love with NYC???

BrooklynRider
September 19th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Also, if you're standing at Battery Park and looking at the water - the water moves - you don't. I know this is basic kind of stuff, but everyday I come home and my house is in the same place.

Oh, and I have a pet squirrel that knocks on my kitchen window every morning waiting for sunflower seeds. He sleeps in a clay planter in summer when it is hot out.

kmistic
September 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe you felt some vibrations from the subway trains?