PDA

View Full Version : First trip to NYC - how's the weather?

rhinoWERX
September 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Leaving this evening for my first ever trip to NY - very excited :D. I'm going to be there though 'till the 27th, Sept.

Looking at the forecasts, the range over the next few days is 85-72 during the day and 70-58 evenings. What I'm looking for is feedback on what these temps really mean - e.g Humid? Dry? Hot? Cold? Will I need to bring a jacket?

This will be a vacation trip - planning to do lots of walking/tourisity stuff.

Oh, and one more quick question - flying into JFK - is taxi the best option to get me to downtown - staying near 8th and W 54th.

TIA

Cheers
-Jack

lofter1
September 21st, 2005, 10:47 AM
It looks to be fantastic weather - clear, sunny, warm, low humidity - but chance of some rain this weekend (though they have been telling us that for over a week and we haven't gotten one drop).

A light jacket / hoodie of some sort is adviseable in case the temps drop below 60 at night (looks unlikely).

kmistic
September 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
That weather sounds awesome! Im sitting in Tampa with the outer bands of Rita overhead.

Anyway, When i fly to JFK i take the airtrain to Jamaica Station then the E train to Manhattan. I do this instead of a taxi because i am cheap. It only cost $7 where a taxi could be $35+/-. I think there is a station at 8th and 50th you could get off at.

oh and just a little fyi: 8th and W 54th is not Downtown, i believe that is considered mid-town.

rhinoWERX
September 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tips, info, and clarification

Much appretiated.

We are taking the red-eye out of LAX this evening, arriving at JFK in the wee hours - perhaps public transport will not be an option at 4:40 am...

Really looking forward to this (long overdue) trip :D

Cheers
-Jack

NYatKNIGHT
September 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
Public transportation is definitely an option at that hour, but personally I'd hop in a cab, not really for safety reasons, just to plain get there as fast as possible.

sfenn1117
September 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
It's easier to take a cab with all your luggage too, and to get dropped right at your hotel. I don't know how familiar you are with the city though.

rhinoWERX
September 22nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
We'll we've arrived - tired from our red-eye flight, but much too much energy to sit still now.

We ended up taking the AirTrain to Howard Beach were we caught the A train to 59th St station - which is only a block and a half from where we are staying. It was pretty easy, straight forward, didn't take too long, and it was cheap ;)

http://rhinowerx.com/fotos/categories.php?cat_id=98

Anyway, thanks again to those who offered help

:D

Cheers
-Jack

lofter1
September 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
Welcome and Enjoy!

Hoping you share lots of pics...

Be sure to check out the Feast of San Gennaro on Mulberry Street from Houston St. south through Little Italy.

This event can be fantastic: Saturday, September 24th Spectacular parade starting, at 2 p.m., with floats, marching bands and the statue of San Gennaro carried through the streets.

The Feast continues through Sunday 9/25: http://www.sangennaro.org/ (http://www.sangennaro.org/)

kmistic
September 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM
Im Jealous, Have fun rhino!

NewYorkYankee
September 25th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Here I am in NY now, and I missed that damn festival. It aggrivates me, I wanted to go.