PDA

View Full Version : Move to LI

billyblancoNYC
September 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM
If you were to move to Long Island, where would it be and why?

Please, no, I would never move to Long Island comments, please. I know most people on this board hate the place.

Thanks very much.

lofter1
September 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Sag Harbor. It's a beautiful town. The sea is great there. Plus there is access to islands.

But I know I would drink myself into oblivion after too much time out there so I'll stick with visiting friends.

TomAuch
September 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
Hmmmm.....if I could afford to live anywhere on Long Island it would in the Hamptons.

redhot00
September 22nd, 2005, 07:06 AM
I would choose Huntington. My family used to visit friends of my parents out there when I was a kid, and the place still evokes a lot of great memories for me.

dtolman
September 23rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Huntington. I live there. By choice. Love the whole surrounding area - CSH, Centerport, Greenlawn, and Lloyd Harbor (for visiting - too expensive to live there).

Most of the North Shore is pretty nice - kinda low key and underdeveloped compared to the rest of the island. Northport, Port Jeff, Village of the Branch, and Bayville are some other favorites.

kliq6
September 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
dtolman, i agree Huntington is nice, do you however work in Suffolk?

dtolman
September 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
yeah - I work about 30 minutes east in Islandia. My wife though works about 40 minutes west in Nassau county by Hempstead.

kliq6
September 23rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
any chance you work for Comp Assoc? If so what the story with them possibly leaving Li for NYC?

dtolman
September 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
yeah... I do work for CA. They're only opening a small office in the city, mainly for advertising, sales, and upper execs to work out of. I think they said 120 people - some of whom will be working out of multiple offices...

So far they maintain that company HQ is in Islandia, and we're staying put. Even after the latest layoff there is still around 2000 people in the building, I don't think this building is going anywhere anytime soon...

Just want to add - we've always had an office in lower manhattan - so being in NYC is nothing new.

NoyokA
September 23rd, 2005, 05:12 PM
I also would choose Huntington, I've had great times there and in the surrounding towns of Farmingdale and Northport.

Escoella
October 21st, 2005, 10:57 PM
I love Jones Beach... even though working there was not great, there are some beautiful homes that I would love to live in.

BrooklynRider
October 22nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
You don't state any prerequisites, like needing to commute to Manhattan. That being the case... Shelter Island in a minute. I spent a couple of summers there and it was great. The anti-Hamptons. It was New Englandish - without any airs. Rather than people going out there, dropping off their bags and heading into the nightlife and "scene", most people pick up their groceries on the drive out, drive from the ferry to their home and lead rather private, non-assuming lives. The restaurants and retail are quaint (VERY quaint) nothing loud or too boisterous. Just a lovely place.

For something closer to Manhattan, I'd pick Long Beach or Huntington. You can see my reasoning in the NYC Metro communities thread.

ablarc
October 23rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
BrooklynRider, shame on you; Shelter Island is best kept secret! ;)

shocka
October 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
If i was to move BACK to long island, I would look at

Long Beach if you care about the scene and like water
Hicksville/Mineola If you care about a commute into NYC
Huntington if you work Futher East
Manhasset if you have the money

and wy do people hate long island??? its like any other suburb...