PDA

View Full Version : Eats around the Bowery?

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Question to all of you out there.

I am going to a concert tonight at the Bowrey, any clue on where to score some good food?

I am not talking anything extravagant, but something better than Jack-In-The-Box.....

Burger would be fine, and I think Katz is near there too, but any suggestions would be welcome!

TIA!

redhot00
September 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
If pizza is your thing, go to Lombardi's at Spring and Mott for a great pie.

lofter1
September 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM
NoHo star on Bleecker / Lafayette has terrific food & good bar.

Just off Bowery off Rivington is Freeman's. You should check out this joint; if nothing else, the walk up the little (and basically unknown) alley and into this unique place is worth it. (Plus I think it's not as HOT as it was a year ago so the scene should have calmed down a bit.):

Freemanís

End of Freeman Alley (Off Rivington)
New York,
Telephone: 1 212 420 0012
Hours:Mon-Fri 6pm-12midnight; Sat-Sun 11am-3:30pm
freemansrestaurant.com (http://freemansrestaurant.com/)

Boho-chic reaches its zenith at this jewel of a restaurant-bar at the end of dark Freeman Alley on the Lower East Side. Enter it and you find yourself in a cosy, crowded lounge where minimalism has been consigned to the scrap heap. Stuffed animal heads and dusty oil paintings decorate richly-painted walls, antique furniture and candles add to the mood, and a small bar counter seating eight lures you in. Culinary cocktails are their specialty, divided into categories like Light and Easy or Dark and Complex, depending on your mood. Expertly mixed they include gems like the East India, made with cognac, pineapple juice, bitters, fresh nutmeg and a twist of orange peel. Itís a restaurant too, but we suggest you get there early to secure a table. Possibly the hottest bar in New York.

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Pizza would be the standard if I did not just have a leftover slice from the weekend last night for dinner (heh, sometimes you just don't wanna cook, you know?).

Freemans sounds interesting, but it also sounds $$. I will have to look it up to see if they charge $7.50 for toast.. ;)

The suggestions are VERY welcomed though. I know that there are lots of places along the way on Houston, but I can't remember where some of them are...

Hell, even Katz might be cool for a change of pace.....

lofter1
September 27th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Houston west of Bowery: try the Colonial Cafe at Elizabeth.

Plus lots of places on both Elizabeth and Mott just south of Houston. Some joints along Bleecker just west of Bowery as well. Everything from excellent food & atmosphere to beer & burgers within a couple of blocks.

Schadenfrau
September 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Clinton Street is a few blocks away, but the restaurants are great.

I like this one:
http://www.aliasrestaurant.com/

Epicerie Cafe Charbon on Orchard is good, as well.

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Wow, looks interesting but that is quite a hike.

I am coming from the west side on Hudson, and my friend is coming up from the buisness district, so that might be too far off the radar....

Looks like an area to check out on a Saturday Afternoon/evening though.

Thanks!

ryan
September 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I've been to B Bar & enjoyed it (wasn't too sceney when I was there) but I wasn't paying, so I can't speak to the prices. I remember being disappointed in the beer selection. Corner of 4th.

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Hehehe.

Beer is important.

However, after coming back from Japan, there can't be much worse of a beer "selection"... ;)

ryan
September 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
?

Sapporo's a great beer, though I'm not convinced that it isn't just repackaged Heineken.

Schadenfrau
September 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I liked the beer in Japan. You can buy it on the street. What more can you ask for?

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I liked the beer in Japan. You can buy it on the street. What more can you ask for?

Heh.

Cheaper prices per case!!!!!

My got, it was close to 50 bucks for a case of Kirin!!!!! And Kirin is not that good!!!!

Most of the places we went to would serve a 500 ML mug with a good 100 ML of foam at the top. It was the stylish thing to do!!!!

As for the VM's, I felt weird in that there were so many, but NOONE drank or ate ANYTHING while walking around.

Talk about a cultural twist!!!

take a look, if you want, I just posted a bunch of photos through Image Shack on teh Photo Forum here...... (Maybe I should post the "beer" image too....)

Ninjahedge
September 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM
?

Sapporo's a great beer, though I'm not convinced that it isn't just repackaged Heineken.

Sap is OK, but I liked some of their darks better. They were more like porters than anything else and they had a bit more flavor.....

arbeiter
September 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
The Bowery is not really a dining destination. However, within 5 minutes walk in each direction, no matter where on the Bowery you are, you're close to hundreds of great restaurants in the E.V., W.V., or Chinatown.

Ninjahedge
September 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I know Chinatown. There is a pretty good place for Congee right on Delancy street, I also like NyoNya and the chain PhoBang....

We ended up meeting at Loreley http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/38728576/new_york_ny/loreley.html and it was pretty good. A decent selection of beer and some decent German food.

Freeman's looked pretty good, kind of quaint, but there were a few posers hanging around (you know, suit jacket, untucked shirt, loose tie, carfully groomed messy hair, etc).

The killer at Freeman was the lack of any real good beer selection. I do not care if they do not have Bud or Coors, but I am not a big wine fan. That, coupled with bottle-only made it difficult.

The selection at Freemans looked interesting, but it was not cheap (as few are in the city) and the fare looked rather eclectic. But, like I said, it was the lack of beer (good beer) that walked me across the street to wait for my friend.

Funny thing is, we were there before going to the Bowrey to see Supergrass. Guess who walked in right as we were leaving?

Supergrass.

Funny sometimes how that happens, isn't it?

arbeiter
September 28th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I've eaten at Lorelay several times. My mom is from Germany and I can attest their food is authentic, especially their kaesespaetzle and their gulash. Good pick.

Schadenfrau
September 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Are you sure you didn't see Supergrass standing outside Freeman's with the mussed hair and loose ties?

Ninjahedge
September 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Trust me..... ;)

The drummer reminded me almost of someone from the clash. Nose and all, in a T-Shirt and the like.

The lead singer had the look going, but he looked like he was genuinely dressed that way, not LOOKING to be dressed that way.

The people I saw coming and going from Freemans had that put on look. Some of the people at the bar looked like they fit better with the general feel of the bar and the area at large, but the others looked like posers (sorry, I am not insulting your suggestions Schade, please do not take it that way). It seemed to fit with what most people had to complain about the place in the reviews on Citysearch. Most said Great/Interesting food, but pretentious attitude sometimes evidenced.

The food at Lorelys was nice. MUCH better than the crap they call German at Helmers in Hoboken.

Schadenfrau
September 28th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I honestly haven't heard someone use the word poser since the early 90s. Back then, I recall that it was spelled with a "u" for that added British cachet.

Really, the only person who isn't fronting when they're sporting bedhead, an untucked shirt, and a loose tie is a Merrill Lynch trainee on a bender.

Ninjahedge
September 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I honestly haven't heard someone use the word poser since the early 90s. Back then, I recall that it was spelled with a "u" for that added British cachet.

Really, the only person who isn't fronting when they're sporting bedhead, an untucked shirt, and a loose tie is a Merrill Lynch trainee on a bender.

The thing that gets me is that they look "Freshly indisposed". The look itself reminds me a bit of a cross between Rod Stewart and the Cure (a BIT of the cure, mind you!).

I always find it ironic that some people feel the need to go through so much preparation to look like they just threw something on. Spending money on hair-gel to GET a bed-head just right and all the rest.

I have seen other people that just look more comfortable wearing what they feel like (the original suit with sneakers guy, etc)...

Ah well. But, like I said, it was not the posers that turned me around, it was the lack of beer (and the proximity of beer in the other location).

The other thing that got me was that the food I really wanted to eat was all the expensive ones. A "spicy" seafood dish with a bunch of interesting things rather than a "roast chicken with potatoes".

The fare looked good, but out of my price range for a casual mid-week thing....