PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to adopt a Kitten

micegrey
October 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM
Hi, I am a photographer residing in Chelsea and looking for a kitten to adopt. I have been a caring pet lover all my life. Any idea or news is welcome.

Thanks.

mice grey
www.photoblog.be/micegrey (http://www.photoblog.be/micegrey)

ManhattanKnight
October 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Hi, I am a photographer residing in Chelsea and looking for a kitten to adopt. I have been a caring pet lover all my life. Any idea or news is welcome.

The Center for Animal Care and Control, with offices in all 5 boros, is the City's quasi-official animal control agency. While it aspires one day to become a non-kill shelter, it continues to kill tens of thousands of animals every year because of lack of space and funds. It's a great place from which to adopt a cat and, by doing so, to save a life. http://www.nycacc.org/site/c.ikLTJ9MUKtH/b.540513/k.CB5A/Home/apps/s/inline.asp

A good private, non-kill shelter and adoption agency is Bide-a-Wee. http://www.bideawee.org/

I have adopted cats from both these shelters.

Since you're in Chelsea, you might want to wander over to West Chelsea Veterinary Hospital, 203 10th Ave. at 22nd St. (212-645-2757), my cats' docs, which always has several cats awaiting adoption on view in its waiting room and adoption notices posted on its bulletin board.

Punzie
December 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Pets are my area of expertise. I hope that Micegrey has found his purrfect feline; I have advice to anyone who is considering owning one.

Until roughly the 1980s, all domestic cats were pretty much the same size, males slightly larger than females. Not any more! For better or worse, cat breeders have created breeds that range from the 3-pound teacup to the 20-pound Maine Coon.

If you happen to have a small apartment, you probably don't want to own a very large domestic cat -- and the cat may not be too happy with such limited space.

The challenge with adopting a kitten in an animal shelter is that you don't know what breeds are mixed into it. This has always been a problem with dogs, but it has crept into the cat population.

At an animal shelter, adopt:

- An adult cat, or a cat that is almost an adult. By the time a cat is 6-8 months old, you have a pretty good idea of its size. Big growth spurts after 6-8 months old are rare.

- A kitten where a detailed background of at least one parent is known.

- A kitten that is unusually small for its size -- provided that the kitten is strong, healthy and active. It is not necessarily a runt; it could come from petite or teacup lineage.

- If you find all of the above recommedations too restrictive, choose a kitten that is not too large for its age, preferably a female. The relative size differential between adult female and male cats is larger than it used to be and continues to increase.

Do not adopt a cat or kitten from a private owner ("classifieds") unless it has already been tested for the "full line" of diseases and has received the standard vaccinations. There are a bunch of nasty, incurable diseases that have cropped up over the years, such as feline HIV/AIDS. (Humans can't catch it.)

It's tempting to adopt a kitten during the holiday season, but you will get the worst selection, because everybody else has the same idea. Hold off until the middle of January. These are the kittens that were too young to leave their mothers on time for the surge of holiday adoptions.

antinimby
December 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Glad you are so knowledgable.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, so I'll probably have questions, although like you said, I'll hold off for another few months.

Another thing I would like to add (from what I've read) is to NEVER have the cat de-clawed.

That is unbelievably painful and cruel to the cat.

It is a form of mutilation and is the human equivalent of having the tip of your fingers cut off!

So don't do it.

Punzie
December 23rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'm also against declawing. My exception: when one faces the choice between having the cat euthanized or declawed.

This may already be obvious, but a few weeks before Easter is another time that is not so good for adopting a kitten; again, everybody has the same idea: get a kitten on time for Easter.

Gulcrapek
December 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Kittens = goodness.

We got our last two cats from City Critters in Murray Hill, and both turned out to be lovely. They have records of disease and stuff like that and sometimes lineage. The first cat we got from there is quite possibly the most awesome cat that has ever existed on this planet. The one we have now is cool, but I think we got spoiled. This one's quirk is her mouth. She does not stop talking. Pretty much ever. Can be fun and on occasion annoying.