PDA

View Full Version : Taxi's in NY

beau111
October 6th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Never been to NY City but we are taking a cruise leaving out of Port of NY later this month. We're flying in to Newark Airport and I understand we'll need to catch a cab to the Port which is about 15 miles and 1/2 hour away.
I know there's lots of do's and don'ts about NY cabs and I was wondering if anyone might provide some advice and also maybe give me an idea of what this trip will cost including Tip?

Thanks
Tbeau

lofter1
October 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Depending on the time you arrive taxis can sometimes require a long wait.

Other options are the airporter bus (to Port Authority @ 8th Ave / 42nd St) which costs about $15.00 and leaves every 20 minutes or so.

again depending on the time of day the trip into NYC can take anywhere from 30 min - 1 hour.

YOu can also call a car service (one is CARMEL 1.800.922.7635, another is Tel Aviv 1.800.222.9888) which you can reserve before hand then call after you've arrived and picked up your luggage. Cost into NYC is ~$40.00 + Tip.

From NYC taxi & limousine website ( http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#15 ) :

What are the fares concerning trips to and from Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia International airports?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_60_30.gifhttp://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_30_30.gifhttp://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_499_15.gif
Newark International Airport
- The set fare from New York City to Newark International Airport is the regular metered rate of fare, plus a $15.00 surcharge, plus all tolls going to and returning from the airport.

John F. Kennedy International Airport
- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips from JFK to Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. The reverse is not true, however, as there is no set fare to JFK from any point in New York City. The metered rate applies.

LaGuardia International Airport
- There is no set fare for trips to and from LaGuardia International Airport. The regular metered rate of fare, as is displayed below, applies in all cases.

Metered Rate of Fare
$2.50 upon entry
$.40 for each additional unit
$.40 per minute of waiting time
$.50 night surcharge after 8:00PM and prior to 6:00AM
$1.00 Peak Hour Surcharge in effect 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday
The unit of fare is:
One-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles per hour or more; or 120 seconds (at a rate of twenty cents per minute), when the taxicab is not in motion or is traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

lofter1
October 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
a new surcharge do to the rising gas prices
Last I heard the drivers were screaming for it but hadn't been given it yet, mainly because there was no mechanism for rolling back the surcharge when gas prices drop (which they are already doing).

Besides I haven't been in a cab in a couple of months.

Schadenfrau
October 6th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I've been in a number of cabs and haven't seen any surcharge. I've heard the rumor, though. Where is this coming from?

beau111
October 9th, 2005, 12:42 AM
lofter1,
Thanks for the information.
We'll be arriving at 11:46 am on a Wednesday, at which time I'm hoping it will not be too busy.

Some additional questions, if you don't mind.
You indicate the drop off point for the airporter bus is at the Port Authority @ 8th Ave / 42nd St.
The address we have to be at is 711 12th Avenue & 55th Street.
Would we be better off to take this bus and then get a cab from the Port Authority?

As for a taxi it looks like the best it would be, without delays, is $32.50 + Tolls and Tip?
Is there any difference between taxi companies?

Thanks,

Tbeau

lofter1
October 9th, 2005, 01:13 AM
lofter1,
Would we be better off to take this bus and then get a cab from the Port Authority?

As for a taxi it looks like the best it would be, without delays, is $32.50 + Tolls and Tip?
Is there any difference between taxi companies?

1. If there is more than one of you you might as well take a taxi into the city. Cost of 2 bus tickets + taxi to the hotel will be about the same as taxi all the way.

2. At the airport there is a taxi stand, of sorts ... any of the taxis at the offical pick up zone will be ok. but do be aware of the guys who come up to you and ask if you need a taxi -- you can spot them -- avoid them and take the regulated taxis.

beau111
October 10th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks to all for your helpful information.