PDA

View Full Version : Animal House

BrooklynRider
October 7th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Bedlam erupts in Congress over oil refinery vote; 'Shame, shame'
10/07/2005 @ 6:22 pm
Filed by RAW STORY

A controversial bill that offered abandoned U.S. military bases to private industry for the construction of oil refineries and granted federal insurance to refiners ensnared in litigation passed by a razor-thin margin in the House Friday afternoon 212-210 as Democrats chanted "shame, shame, shame."

The vote, which was supposed to take five minutes, lasted 45. About a dozen Republicans reversed their votes as the Republican leadership circled the chamber pressuring members of their party to ensure the bill's passage.

#
Excerpts from Reuters:

When over two dozen Republicans initially voted no, DeLay, Barton, House Speaker Dennis Hastert and new Majority Leader Roy Blunt circled the chamber to cajole holdouts.

Eventually, enough Republicans switched to pass the bill.

Democrats protested that the vote was held open. "I am informed that every member of Congress who is in town has voted," Democratic whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland said at one point, when the tally was 210 yes, 214 no.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi also complained, saying the proceedings brought "dishonor to the House."

Democrats in the chamber chanted "shame, shame, shame" as the final tally was announced.

Bush lauded the bill: "No refineries have been built in our Nation since 1976, and the recent disruptions in supply from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita have demonstrated that additional refining capacity is critically needed," Bush said in a statement.

Other provisions in the bill include:

Expanding Northeast Heating Oil Reserve to 5 million barrels, from current 2 million barrels;

Limiting anti-pollution gasoline blends to six, from the current 17;

Requiring FTC to prepare a report on the price of gasoline and heating oil on the New York Mercantile Exchange;

Waives federal, state and local fuel additive requirements after a natural disaster that disrupts supplies;

Gives Federal Energy Regulatory Commission the power to monitor offshore gas gathering lines to prevent anti-competitive practices.

BrooklynRider
October 7th, 2005, 10:43 PM
There was video posted on CSPAN, Reuters and some other news outlets, then it abruptly disappeared.

You can see portions of the actions on the video from CNN at the link below...

http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00001901.htm

Here's a transcript of part of the now missing video...

Here are bits from what Nancy Pelosi had to say...

Q Can you elaborate, Madame Leader, on some of the offers that were made to Democrats that you know about?

REP. PELOSI: No.

Q In which case -- it's a pretty serious charge, that you're saying some of them didn't pass legal muster to you.

REP. PELOSI: Yeah.

Q You're saying that -- that Republicans were trying to bribe Democrats?

REP. PELOSI: I didn't use the word bribe.

Q Well, you said it wasn't legal.

REP. PELOSI: I said that offers were made that were, in my view, questionable. And I know that they would be at a cost to the taxpayers. And I say that without any hesitation.

Q But that's a very serious charge.

REP. PELOSI: It is.

Q Could you just -- could you just give us the specifics of what you've heard?

REP. PELOSI: No, I'm not going to. I'm telling you, and -- why don't you go ask the Republicans or the White House what they were offering people? They would know best; they're the ones who were making the offers. I think that this has to stop. We have to stop the Republican rip-off of the legislative process on Capitol Hill. It has to stop now...

Q Madame Leader, I'm sorry to belabor this point, but it is -- let me see how to phrase this -- is there a difference between horse trading and federal violation regarding offering something of value for somebody's vote?

REP. PELOSI: Yes.

Q There's got to be a difference, right?

REP. PELOSI: Yeah. There is.

Q So now you're beyond just the normal give and take of --

REP. PELOSI: Yes.

Q I don't see how you can just lay that out there without giving us the specifics --

REP. PELOSI: Well, I just did. But I just did.

Q Is that fair, though? Is that the way you would like to be treated?

REP. PELOSI: That's the way we are treated. That's the way we are treated.

Q Are you going to pursue any sort of ethics complaint --

REP. PELOSI: I may. I may. I may. Not me, but those who have the information may. But these are the kinds of things that are very hard to prove if the deal is not consummated. That doesn't mean the deal wasn't offered. And it really -- because they have a poverty of arguments in favor of CAFTA, they have to resort to these extraordinary means.

An interesting note.....
Gas has increased 99 cents in the last year.
Gas has increased 30 cents since Hurricane Katrina.
Gas has doubled in price since Bush took office.

lofter1
October 7th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I saw some of that vid...

To hell in a handbasket, that's where we're headed.