View Full Version : Drivers license for visitors

October 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM
HI Greeting from New Zealand. As a visitor, am i allow to drive if holdiing a NZ drivers license? we're driving on left tho. thanks

October 8th, 2005, 08:28 PM
yes, just a rental or friends sedan. thaanks

October 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM
From the "Office of International Students and Scholars" website...


Driver's License/State ID

A valid driver's license is required to operate an automobile anywhere in the United States.

New York State honors all valid foreign licenses.

According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles "A valid driver license from another country is also valid in New York State. You do not need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a resident of New York State."

According to the guidance on residency for New York State, students from other states or nations who attend school in New York State are not normally considered New York State residents.

October 8th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I also found this on the Syracuse University website which mentions an International Driving Permit (per rental cars).

When I travel internationally and plan to rent a car I first get an International Driving Permit from AAA.


Driving with a Foreign Driver’s License and an Intl' Driving Permit

Do I need a US Driver’s license to drive in the US?

You may drive legally in New York if you have a current International Driving Permit (issued for one year only) and a valid driver's license from your home country in your possession while you drive.

International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is not a driver’s license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver’s license in your home country. Your foreign driver’s license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.

You do not need to apply for a NYS driver’s license unless you become a resident of New York State. From the perspective of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you may be considered a resident of NYS if you reside in the state for more than 90 days. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver’s license or vehicle registration issued by NYS. However, the same law states that students from other nations that study in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.

Note: Even though NYS will recognize your foreign driver’s license (as long as you remain a resident of your country), you will additionally need to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car in most cases. This document is quite useful since it verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver’s license.