PDA

View Full Version : Gym Membership Dilemma

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hey everyone:

I am currently a Bally's member paying $50 a month. Since I have moved to the city - there is like no ballys close to my place - except for NYSC. Do you think I should shell out an extra $95 a month and 150 in initiation fee to join NYSC monthly? My Bally's membership ends at 3/16/06. do you think I should just suck it up and pay the NYSC monthly plan till BALLY's expires and join NYSC for a 2 year commitment for $75/month or continue using Ballys at on 55th and Madison?

redhot00
October 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I say just keep going to Bally's till the membership runs out. Why pay two gyms and only go to one? What I would've advised you, but it's too late now, is to NEVER join Bally's in the first place.

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I say just keep going to Bally's till the membership runs out. Why pay two gyms and only go to one? What I would've advised you, but it's too late now, is to NEVER join Bally's in the first place.

Yes I am very disappointed with Ballys - basically if i were to upgrade, i would have to sign up for ANOTHER 3 years. There is no way I am going to join Ballys for another 3 years of torture - may i ask what gym do you go to? Ballys is SO ghetto - NO ONE WIPES OFF the machine!

BrooklynRider
October 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Finish your current membership. Why throw money away?

I suggest you check out New York Health and Racquet Club. It has excellent facilities with reasonable pricing.

Ninjahedge
October 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Where are you stationed?

Printing House in the West Village is nice. NAd you may be able to get a special discount if you start mentioning things like where you work and such.

I am there for $1000 for 15 months, which comes to about $66/month.

No startup fee (what a COS the startup fee is. It costs them NOTHING to get you started!)

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Finish your current membership. Why throw money away?

I suggest you check out New York Health and Racquet Club. It has excellent facilities with reasonable pricing.

Yes - part of it is telling myself to finish the membership - but literally this means i have to go to 55th and madison for 6 months or the one on 6th and 18th. They both really suck!

Ninja- you mentioned the Printing House, can you do it on a monthly basis with no initiation fee?

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Where are you stationed?

Printing House in the West Village is nice. NAd you may be able to get a special discount if you start mentioning things like where you work and such.

I am there for $1000 for 15 months, which comes to about $66/month.

No startup fee (what a COS the startup fee is. It costs them NOTHING to get you started!)

I am stationed in soho/greenwich village - Printing House is 2 blocks from where i work- Ill definitely check it out

lofter1
October 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM
There is also a huge CRUNCH at Christopher / Washington

Ninjahedge
October 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yes - part of it is telling myself to finish the membership - but literally this means i have to go to 55th and madison for 6 months or the one on 6th and 18th. They both really suck!

Ninja- you mentioned the Printing House, can you do it on a monthly basis with no initiation fee?

Yes, but that is more expensive.

I believe it is somewhere near $90 a month or so if you do not go for a year in advance.

The thing is, I do not think there is any cancellation fee, so as long as you have the cash (not to pry) you really do not need to pay monthly.

Also, they have the ability to freeze your membership if you are going on vacation for a while.....

So check it out.

On another note, it is relatively, um, "balanced" compared to other gyms in the area. So I do not think you will feel out of place......

Ninjahedge
October 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
There is also a huge CRUNCH at Christopher / Washington

Aptly named.

It is very crowded. the music is rather loud, the equipment is smushed together, the selection of free-weights is limited and it is very very, um, "Village".

Add to that that it is as expensive as all the other gyms, I would not reccomend it above PH or NYSC or NYH+RC

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, but that is more expensive.

I believe it is somewhere near $90 a month or so if you do not go for a year in advance.

The thing is, I do not think there is any cancellation fee, so as long as you have the cash (not to pry) you really do not need to pay monthly.

Also, they have the ability to freeze your membership if you are going on vacation for a while.....

So check it out.

On another note, it is relatively, um, "balanced" compared to other gyms in the area. So I do not think you will feel out of place......

Thanks for the note - I dont really care about the crowd - I kinda do my own thing in working out and just hope people in the gym are courteous to keep it clean and wipe their sweats......and yes i hate it with people hog up the machines!

Ninja- I think I will check it out this week, i am literally 2 blocks from there!

Ninjahedge
October 10th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Blessing: Free Towels.
Curse: People who are so used to uncrowded gyms they look at you funny when you ask them how many sets you have left.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Morrissey
October 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Blessing: Free Towels.
Curse: People who are so used to uncrowded gyms they look at you funny when you ask them how many sets you have left.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Has anyone in this forum in NYSC, Equinox or David Barton on UES?

RobWVill
November 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I was a member at Crunch for 3 years and am now switching to PH. I was also at NYSC on 10th St. and 7th for 4 years. NYSC is by far the worst. It is always very crowded, to the point that you have trouble getting on the weight benches (at times, all possible chest benches and machines were used), and frequently have to wait 15 minutes or more for treadmills. Once on, there is a 30 minute time limit.

Crunch was good. No lines, good equipment. No frills, but it was a solid gym.

PH is a much nicer environment. No music at all, everything is spacious and clean. It is never crowded. And it has an outdoor pool, which will be nice in the summer. The scenery (in terms of women to look at) is not as good, but the views from the 10th floor work-out rooms almost make up for it.

RobWVill
November 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
How did you get the discount? My membership will be almost $85 a month?

Ninjahedge
November 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
How did you get the discount? My membership will be almost $85 a month?

"corporate membership" and paying all in advance.

See what your company has to offer. Mine was about $1100 for a year, and then they tacked on 3 months free at the end.

It was a ery good deal for Manhattan, and especially a place like that.

The one I am at now, Builtmore Bally's is OK. The price I got (about $750 for 3 years TOTAL) cannot be beat, but the crowd and equipment does not match.

BRT
November 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I am a NYSC member and am generally pleased with it.

I think the price is just about right for NYSC, neither a value nor a ripoff. It's a mid-tier utilitarian gym with plenty of equipment, but not many frills.

The good thing about NYSC is the coverage -- you can find one almost anywhere -- and if you have an odd schedule like mine, the 24 hour clubs. I also have not run into many problems with crowding -- partly because I tend to work out at strange hours, but also partly because the coverage means that people tend to stick to clubs closer to work/home rather than traveling to "magnets."

I tried Crunch and it seemed a bit gimmicky to me. Equinox was nice but as I primarily am a lifter it seemed a bit sterile. If one were closer, I think the best price/quality combo of the gyms I visited is NYH&RC--several friends are members and enjoy it.